[movie 2007] ' M '

Guest Airine Pratama

Guest ash-ley

Question...

Does the Prelude track sound familiar to anyone? I know I've heard it before, but I don't know what it's called, or who composed the music for the OST.

A few other tracks also sound as though they are familiar old tunes. Just curious if anyone else has this feeling. :)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 11, 2008

Critics judge Secret Sunshine as 2007’s best film

sunshine2007a.jpg

LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine is voted the best film of 2007 by a select group of Korean culture and society critics. KIM Ji-hoon’s May 18 came in second and LEE Myung-se’s Mcompletes an illustrious top three of in total twelve selected Korean films.

May18.jpgMposter.jpg

Secret Sunshine continued to cement LEE’s name among the great auteur cineastes. The film accumulated numerous awards, culminating in JEON Do-yeon’s best actress crown at Festival de Cannes.

May 18 is exemplary how cinema can represent popular memory and assist in creating alternative histories. The popular film chronicles the Gwangju uprising from the point-of-view of the Gwangju citizens who were branded criminals and vandals by the military government and leading conservative newspapers.

M is an impressive technical achievement of great aesthetic beauty, containing a layered story which plays on memories, love, and reality.

The participants of the annual questionnaire consist of distinguished people from the film industry, film critics and culture academics.

The best foreign film vote went to Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution, followed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s Babel, and John Carney’s Once. Eight foreign films were named.

Credits: Yi Ch’ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aircastles

From what I've read, I think I'm definitely going to check this film out. "Artsy" films, whether they lack a strong plot or not, with seemingly great cinematography have always been my thing. LOL. Have no idea why. The fact that it's all impressionistic and dark definitely tempts me, though.

And Kang Dong-won! Gong Hyo-jin! Lee Yeon-hee (not a great actress by all means, but she definitely has strong screen prescence)...yes, I'm checking this out. :)

I shall edit this post when I'm done watching it.

Wow, um...wow. I don't think I can express any coherent thoughts other than amazement.

However, before I sought out to watch the movie, I had read reviews, mostly negative, criticizing the movie. Therefore, when I ended up watching it, I wasn't expecting much other than pretty cinematography. Boy, was I wrong. The movie was just visually fascinating, simple yet complex, ambiguous yet bold, haunting yet sweet - just everything I look for in a movie. I think I can see how it turns off some people if you're looking for an actual movie with a plot. Something, which this movie doesn't really have. I see this movie more as a stream of thought. Which is why I loved the lighting and vivid blue hue to it, since it enhanced the trance-like feel of a person's subconscious really well. (Does that make sense?)

It's quite simple, though. The plot, that is. However, unlike some of the reviewers, I thought the movie was pretty deep - more than I expected. I'd recommend it to people, if you're into arthouse films that are more like vivid glimpes into a person's mind. However, if someone's looking for some direct movie - plot-wise and image-wise, than I wouldn't advise watching it. Although, the cinematography was beautifully haunting.

The acting was quite strong here. I stand by my previous statement that Lee Yeon Hee's acting isn't top-notch, but she really has good screen prescence that tells the viewers what the character's thinking. Kang Dong-won and Gong Hyo-jin also delivered really well (which is to be expected).

Guh. I don't think that even made sense. Whatever. This was just a fascinating movie and definitely going into my favorites.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest thunderbolt

M was very perplexing at first, but once I understood the story of Mimi, it made everything so clear. I posted my interpretation of the movie, if anyone wants to check it out. :blush:

Another brilliant piece of work by Lee Myung-se. :wub:

Archived