[movie 2007] ' M '

Guest Airine Pratama

I thought this was a gorgeous movie with strong undertones. The metaphors that were created were beautiful. The talking without talking--the directness of the stream of consciousness.

This is not a mainstream movie even though its budget allowed it to be.

And I can appreciate this.

The story is not about a story but about an essence. It's like a dream that carries you on itself over and over again, telling you things that you've already heard....it's about reconnecting.

It's your choice to sell out. But when you do, you give up that much of your self, your dignity. It's about society...how commercialized it's become and how people are so worried about the bigger picture that they forget about the building blocks that make up that picture.

For myself...from reviews, I didn't expect much BUT a pretty picture. But I was so wrong. It really spoke to me. The images. The words. The repetition. It is a brilliant movie.

The more I think about it--the more I watch it, the more I like it. I love that scene where Minwoo (KDW) is walking and sees a huge puddle on the ground. He looks up at the dripping water and CRASH!! Water comes pouring down on him. It was such a great portrayal of him....that he was at his breaking point.

It's simple but so very complex. M to me...stands for masterpiece.

I knew Kang Dongwon was capable of acting but this...truly exceeded my expectations. Lee YeonHee and Gong HyoJin too. Everyone played their characters so well...so smoothly.

The editing is wow. A lot of people seem confused but...there really wasn't much to be confused about. This movie...is so RICH...so beautiful. I kept remembering this saying that my history teacher told me.

"In order to understand the present, you have to look to the past because the past tells us about us now." And that line keeps resonating with me...near the end kind of. Where Eunhye(GHJ) is about to leave but Minwoo (KDW) stops her. That line about love, about how insecure she was...felt so universal.

I don't know. I could compliment it all day. It's really not mainstream so if you're expecting an in your face page by page storyline, just walk away. But if you want to watch something for its attempt to convey the human psyche, try it. People get confused by the question of what is reality and what is not in the movie, but I think it's better to think of it in terms of stream of consciousness. Moments are fleeting...come and go, people do too. Thoughts are erratic. Don't fry your brain over it.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Febriary 4, 2008

"M," "Happiness" finds home in Japan

Written by Darcy Paquet

SEOUL -- South Korean seller Showbox has announced the sale of Lee Myung-Se's "M" and Hur Jin-ho's "Happiness" to Avex in Japan.

Both films premiered at the Toronto Film Festival last autumn, and feature popular young stars with fan followings in Japan -- Gang Dong-won in "M" and Lim Soo-jung in "Happiness". Although Korean films have fallen on hard times in Japan recently, the two titles are each expected to receive a theatrical release.

Hur Jin-ho's previous film "April Snow" holds the record for the best-grossing Korean film of all time in Japan, having taken upwards of $26 million in 2005. Much of that film's success was attributed to the presence of another "Korean Wave" star Bae Yong-joon.

However overall exports to Japan have plunged since then, with only $3.3 million worth of sales to the country recorded last year compared to $10.4 million in 2006 and an amazing $60.3 million in 2005.

"M" and "Happiness" grossed $3.1 million and $8.5 million in Korea respectively.

Source: Variety Asia

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/5432/53/

credit : rubie

Guest kiwistar

I thought that this was a REALLY great romantic movie! I think that it is now up there with Sad Story as one of my fav korean movies :lol:

It was very beautifully and cleverly made.

I was prepared to be confused, and expected the heavy symbolism and abstractness. Therefore, I think I really understood the movie the first time through.

It was really touching, and a thrill to watch. I was definetely captivated by the cinematography.

I would definitely recommend this movie!! Just be prepared to appreciate its abstractness :]

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I finished watching it... VERY good movie. The beginning was a little difficult to get through, but everything seems to piece together after a while... The only problem I had was the ending...

So Mimi died right? Assuming from a car accident?

The lighting in the movie also bothered me at times. I guess it's just because I don't like dark scenes, and I thought that they overused the dark lighting just the tiniest bit. Otherwise, captivating movie which surprised me considering the rather weak plot...

Guest thunderbolt

I thought this was a gorgeous movie with strong undertones. The metaphors that were created were beautiful. The talking without talking--the directness of the stream of consciousness.

I don't know. I could compliment it all day. It's really not mainstream so if you're expecting an in your face page by page storyline, just walk away. But if you want to watch something for its attempt to convey the human psyche, try it. People get confused by the question of what is reality and what is not in the movie, but I think it's better to think of it in terms of stream of consciousness. Moments are fleeting...come and go, people do too. Thoughts are erratic. Don't fry your brain over it.

Wow, fatsoko, I love your review. After my experience with Lee Myung Se's Duelist (love it to pieces), I feel fairly confident that I'll take to 'M' the way you did.

I'm so out of the loop lately. Has 'M' been officially released on DVD?

Edit:

It can be preordered here:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/artIdxDept.as...165/aid-529669/

Guest kdramafanusa

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your thoughts on M.

After my experience with Lee Myung Se's Duelist (love it to pieces), I feel fairly confident that I'll take to 'M' the way you did.

I'm so out of the loop lately. Has 'M' been officially released on DVD?

Thunderbolt, I notice that we tend to like the same dramas (ie White Tower, Damo). =)

Do you plan on getting M's DVD? I still haven't decided yet.

Guest thunderbolt

Thunderbolt, I notice that we tend to like the same dramas (ie White Tower, Damo). =)

Do you plan on getting M's DVD? I still haven't decided yet.

Hi kdramafanusa, I'll definitely get the DVD. I'm a KDW collector, lol, and this one has Gong Hyo Jin too. :w00t: But it doesn't say at the yesasia site whether the limited edition version has English subs. :unsure:

Guest Feelings

i was... very psychological.

i personally don't like these kind of dark films, so i am biased.

however, i applaud the acting that kang dong won pulled off.

I just finished watching this movie... though I kinda skipped some parts near the end because I couldn't stand the dark scenes.

There's many things I don't understand... (and I might be wrong, since I DID skip some parts) but doesn't it seem like

KDW's character is somehow schizophrenic or something? He's writing about his first love that died right? It seems like while writing his novel, he's getting into his OWN novel and replaying thoughts in his head.... Or idk. Maybe he really did meet Mimi as a ghost.

Yeah, a lot of meanings in the movie, but it seems like THAT was the whole POINT of the movie; like for people to use their imaginations to figure out what the movie was trying to say. I like how how the movie is really deep, but I think they kinda overdid it. The whole movie was a big mess? Or maybe it's to show how confused KDW's character is.

• 3 weeks later...

just finished watching this movie and this is a good movie it was more about life, losing someone and trying to move on

"over the course of life, we lose things.

things we love and care about the most.

then we bury the sadness of losing them in deep oblivion.

thats life.....

but what we lose tends to find its way back to us.

like a tsunami conquering the ocean..... it shakes up" -MINWOO

Guest kdramafanusa

Hi kdramafanusa, I'll definitely get the DVD. I'm a KDW collector, lol, and this one has Gong Hyo Jin too. :w00t: But it doesn't say at the yesasia site whether the limited edition version has English subs. :unsure:

Hi Thunderbolt, sorry for the late reply; Soompi moves so fast that I didn't see this til now. Did you get it yet?

I like KDW, I went on ebay to hunt down Duelist Collector's Edition. Hehee.

The movie should have English subs, I think the special features will be raw. =( It's too bad that X's no longer at Twitch, his reviews were so amazing.

Thanks everyone again for sharing your thoughts on M with us here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest subduing mara

M will be attended the 9th JIFF 05.01-05.09.2008, I copied from KDW thread;

'M' 이명세 감독, 전주 매그넘사진전 주인공으로 참석

Director Lee came to Jeonju to congratulate the press photo ceremony of the 9th JIFF. there is also a photo exhibition which has admissions of many international photographers from "Magnum Group". It's said that there are 3 photo stores taken by Magnum's photographers featuring director Lee, Dong Won oppa, Moon So Ri and Han Jeong Woo who made successful films.

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...;newssetid=1352

credit : dada_princess

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Greener

I admit that don't understand this film. What is want to go-between it? or film want to tell that we don't forget to

past story. Although it will watch difficuity but location, light and tone color made to very well.it sied with tone of film.

For actor and actress,i think that everybody is suitable with role. It was choose a good actor.

• 1 month later...
Guest Demllequ

"the lover of the main male character who is a mysterious killer."

there was nothing about killing in the movie, i liked it ; her innocence made it sad because she was so cute

i cried like 2 times watching this.

my favourite scene was when Mimi was sitting on the train saying good bye to him in her thoughts;

i had a feeling it was the same director from Duelist

cuz of the scenes impressionistic, with extensive use of slow motion, freeze frames, multiple images, and varying perspectives - its like his trademark.

i will totally watch anything again by the same director.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Airine Pratama

i just watched this movie ... brilliant and enjoyable ... i love the story between minwoo and mimi ... pure, romantic, mysterious, and sad ... i love how minwoo slowly regain his memory about mimi ... and their young and pure love ... it left me a deep impression after the end ...

Archived