Persona

Persona.jpg

Genre: Dramas

Episodes: 4

Network: Netflix

Airdate: 5 April, 2019

Director: Im Pil Sung, Lee Kyung Mi, Kim Jong Kwan, and Jeon Go Woon

Synopsis:

The experimental 4-part short film series known as 'Persona', centered around the persona of singer/actress IU, will premiere worldwide via 'Netflix' this coming April. 

The 4 individual films of 'Persona' are directed by Lim Pil Sung, Lee Kyung Mi, Kim Jong Kwan, and Jeon Go Woon. Each of the 4 directors took their own, personal, and unique approach to depicting various personas hidden within the actress IU, sometimes inspired by her music, and sometimes by the directors' personal experiences. 

Lim Pil Sung's short film tells the story of an alluring woman, capable of making any man give up his entire life for her.

Lee Kyung Mi's film deals with the passionate tennis match between two female players.

Kim Jong Kwan's film depicts a pair of parted lovers who meet again in their dreams.

Jeon Go Woon's short film illustrates two girls who vow to take sweet revenge. 

Cast:

Lee Ji-eun aka IU

Bae Doona

Park Hae Soo

Kim Tae Hoon

Lee Sung Wook

Jung Jun Won

Shim Dal Gi

Trailer

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, Youtube, etc.. should be reported to their respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  Viki, Viu,Dramafever, ) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Guest changed the title to [Upcoming short films 2019] Persona - Lee Ji-eun, Bae Doona & Shim Dal Gi - Premieres on April 5th - Netflix
On 3/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, squaredname said:

Wow this is coming out on the 5th of April? So soon and no real teaser trailer! Jeon Go Woon's story sounds really interesting, I'm looking forward to that the most.

Persona production report on March 27. Place : At Conrade Seoul Hotel Time : 11 AM Attendance : Actress Lee Ji Eun, Yoon Jong Shin, Director Lee Kyung Mi, Im Pil Sung, Jeon Go Woon, Kim Jo Kwan.

Persona spoiler thread. Click if you want to. 

Spoiler

On 3/22/2019 at 7:04 AM, Joseph Lim said:

Trailer:

@squaredname Trailer. Eng Sub is available on Netflix. https://www.netflix.com/title/81044884

Thank you for sharing! I was looking forward to watching this, now I'm really eager to see it. These short stories seem to have a lot of artistic intent and value, they also remind me of early Lee Chang-dong films. Some of the shots make it clear this is auteur work and I think Netflix is a great platform to showcase what lesser known Korean directors are capable of. I love the subtle changes in tone and genre the trailer highlights for each story to fulfil the title of Persona.

I might be getting ahead of myself but wouldn't it be cool if this became an anthology series of short stories. Where each season had a new lead to play out roles for other directors and writers?! 

Edit: 

It actually seems like it might be more than one season of short stories. In the Netflix link it says "Collection 1". :P 

1 hour ago, squaredname said:

It actually seems like it might be more than one season of short stories. In the Netflix link it says "Collection 1". :P 

From what I understand (may be wrong:P), Persona is a collection of 4 short-film anthology by 4 directors. 

The title of each of the Persona collection are as follow(Cr: Dramabeans):

1. Spoiler

Love Set, which also features Kim Tae-hoon(Lookout) and Bae Doo-na (Kingdom) playing IU’s father and future step-mother, respectively. Love Set is directed by Lee Kyung-mi, whose credits include Crush and Blush and The Truth Beneath, and will center around a tennis court fraught with tension between a daughter and her potential step-mother. Bae Doo-na sets up the conflict immediately, who throws down some heavy stakes on a tennis game: “If I win, then you end things with your father.” IU isn’t some Cinderella though, and while playfully tackling her father on the court, whispers in his ear, “Don’t marry that woman, dad.”

2. Spoiler

Collector, and if Love Set portrayed a precocious IU, her more mature side is shown in this installment. We see her practicing yoga in the middle of a dilapidated swimming pool, as a man (Park Hae-soo, Smart Prison Living) voices offscreen, “From the beginning, you were special and had a lot of secrets.” A realistic, if disturbingly blank and doll-like, painting of IU appears on the screen and she muses, “When I let the waves take control of my body, I felt like I became a piece of sugar. I want to become freer and everlasting.” The mood of the short film is distinctly more eerie and unsettling, which isn’t surprising coming from director Im Pil-sung, who directed horror/thrillers Antarctic Journal, Hansel and Gretel, and Scarlet Innocence

3. Spoiler

Kiss Burn. Detecting something wrong with her friend, she goes to her friend’s “rescue” only to find her covered in hickeys, much to IU’s initial confusion. Kiss Burn is directed by newbie Jeon Go-woon, who, despite her relative newness to the industry, has a host of awards to her name from her 2018 feature film directorial debut Microhabitat. In the short film, the two friends hatch a plan for petty revenge, in between hilarious moments of teenage awkwardness: IU blustering that she “totally knows” what hickeys are is adorably endearing.

4. Spoiler

Walking At Night, and is directed by Kim Jong-kwan, known for his female-centered films The Table and Worst Woman. As a couple meanders down a softly-lit street, IU dreamily reflects offscreen that “neither dreams nor death have a set destination.” The former lovers gaze at each other and share a kiss as she continues, “Without a place to go, we’ll be forgotten. Even though we’re right here, no one remembers.”

It could be that Netflix will be airing 1 title of Persona collection 5 April, and the other 3 titles later instead of airing all 4 together to show that they are separate stories. Anyway tomorrow is the press conference!

7 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

From what I understand (may be wrong:P), Persona is a collection of 4 short-film anthology by 4 directors

The title of each of the Persona collection are as follow(Cr: Dramabeans):

1.   Reveal hidden contents

Love Set, which also features Kim Tae-hoon(Lookout) and Bae Doo-na (Kingdom) playing IU’s father and future step-mother, respectively. Love Set is directed by Lee Kyung-mi, whose credits include Crush and Blush and The Truth Beneath, and will center around a tennis court fraught with tension between a daughter and her potential step-mother. Bae Doo-na sets up the conflict immediately, who throws down some heavy stakes on a tennis game: “If I win, then you end things with your father.” IU isn’t some Cinderella though, and while playfully tackling her father on the court, whispers in his ear, “Don’t marry that woman, dad.”

2.   Reveal hidden contents

Collector, and if Love Set portrayed a precocious IU, her more mature side is shown in this installment. We see her practicing yoga in the middle of a dilapidated swimming pool, as a man (Park Hae-soo, Smart Prison Living) voices offscreen, “From the beginning, you were special and had a lot of secrets.” A realistic, if disturbingly blank and doll-like, painting of IU appears on the screen and she muses, “When I let the waves take control of my body, I felt like I became a piece of sugar. I want to become freer and everlasting.” The mood of the short film is distinctly more eerie and unsettling, which isn’t surprising coming from director Im Pil-sung, who directed horror/thrillers Antarctic Journal, Hansel and Gretel, and Scarlet Innocence

3.   Reveal hidden contents

Kiss Burn. Detecting something wrong with her friend, she goes to her friend’s “rescue” only to find her covered in hickeys, much to IU’s initial confusion. Kiss Burn is directed by newbie Jeon Go-woon, who, despite her relative newness to the industry, has a host of awards to her name from her 2018 feature film directorial debut Microhabitat. In the short film, the two friends hatch a plan for petty revenge, in between hilarious moments of teenage awkwardness: IU blustering that she “totally knows” what hickeys are is adorably endearing.

4.   Reveal hidden contents

Walking At Night, and is directed by Kim Jong-kwan, known for his female-centered films The Table and Worst Woman. As a couple meanders down a softly-lit street, IU dreamily reflects offscreen that “neither dreams nor death have a set destination.” The former lovers gaze at each other and share a kiss as she continues, “Without a place to go, we’ll be forgotten. Even though we’re right here, no one remembers.”

It could be that Netflix will be airing 1 title of Persona collection 5 April, and the other 3 titles later instead of airing all 4 together to show that they are separate stories. Anyway tomorrow is the press conference!

It's possible that they'd release each short story episodically but it doesn't really explain why they'd call this 'Collection 1' if there wasn't other iterations? I don't know. Either way I'm hyped!

There's a press conference tomorrow too? Nice, hopefully we get a few interesting details about the project.

Archived