[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Water God battles the bidet (and loses)

by tipsymocha

brideofwatergod-teaser501.jpg

Pfffft, does this mean we can expect toilet humor, Show? Because major brownie points if so. tvN’s upcoming Bride of the Water God 2017 has just released a new teaser, as well as some character stills that include our other main characters, Krystal (She’s So Lovable), Gong Myung (Individualist Ji-young), and Im Joo-hwan (Uncontrollably Fond), who have all been noticeably absent from the teasers thus far.

I’m hoping for a lot of god-out-of-water scenarios like this, because it’s hilarious, and it does a lot to endear me to Nam Joo-hyuk’s (Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju) water god character: The teaser starts out focused on the water god with his hand outstretched, deadly serious, going, “The water god commands thee, descend.” Turns out he’s using his godly powers to flush the toilet, LOL. Also, his look of smug satisfaction when it works is too funny.

Unfortunately for him, whatever he did also triggered the electronic bidet. At first, he’s just bemused at it (“That is enough for now, you may stop.”) but then he starts flailing as it starts spouting water all over the bathroom (“Stop!”). The teaser ends with Shin Se-kyung (Six Flying Dragons) admonishing him as she pats him dry, “You just keep getting into trouble whenever I’m not around, don’t you?”

Spoiler

I’ve been enjoying the teasers so far, but I’m glad that we finally get a look at Im Joo-hwan’s character in the stills, whose name seems a little too on-the-nose and also a spoiler alert: He will play hotel CEO Shin Hoo-ye, which literally means “god’s descendant.” He’s described as a golden boy with the perfect background and perfect specs, but his character is also mysterious in that there’s not a lot of information about him available. He’ll get mixed up with Shin Se-kyung’s So-ah character, and eventually fall for her in an unrequited love.

On the divine side of our cast, we have Gong Myung as Bi-ryum and Krystal as Mu-ra, who have both been posted to earth and are currently enjoying the celebrity lifestyle as top stars in Korea. Bi-ryum is described as a troublemaker who will go to any lengths if it means having fun, and will have a bit of a rivalry with Nam Joo-hyuk’s Ha-baek character, who comes down to earth to find a stone in order to ascend to the throne among gods. I’m guessing that rivalry stems from Bi-ryum’s crush on Mu-ra, another water deity, with whom he has a bickering relationship. Mu-ra, for her part, is a Ha-baek fangirl, which means there should be jealousy and pettiness between our two main female characters, though I’m hoping it skews towards comedy.

I’m being optimistic that this show will deliver a cute, upbeat fantasy rom-com like these promos suggest, even though the producers keep throwing out monikers like “god fatale romance” and “love story between master and servant” that have me shaking my head. Honestly, I’m most looking forward to Ha-baek’s wide-eyed wonder at modern Korea, because he’s described as a “human realm idiot,” and I’m already giggling at the thought of a water god who uses sageuk-speak trying to figure out the subway system and smartphones.

tvN’s Bride of the Water God 2017 will premiere on July 3 in the Monday-Tuesday slot after currently airing Circle ends its run.

brideofwatergod-still501.jpg

brideofwatergod-still502.jpg

Spoiler

brideofwatergod-still503.jpg

brideofwatergod-still504.jpg

brideofwatergod-still505.jpg

brideofwatergod-still506.jpg

brideofwatergod-still507.jpg

brideofwatergod-still508.jpg

brideofwatergod-still509.jpg

brideofwatergod-still510.jpg

brideofwatergod-still511.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser502.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser503.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser504.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser505.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser506.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser507.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser508.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser509.jpg

brideofwatergod-teaser510.jpg

cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/06/the-water-god-battles-the-bidet-and-loses/

On 6/10/2017 at 4:15 AM, LadyIgraine said:

Its nice to read the new take on this drama, and that it did emphasize that this is a 'spin-off' and not a direct adaptation, so it will obviously have major changes to the original story. I just wish that some fans of the manhwa would be a bit more understanding because I've read some pretty upsetting opinions about it and the choice of casts, etc. I have faith in the writer since the writer was the same who adapted "Misaeng," and that adaptation became a phenomenon. So let's just all wait til it actually airs, then we can judge how the drama is executed.

I don't understand how anyone could think that a direct adaptation would really work. I just started to read it myself, and while there's the artwork that gives us the picture, we do have to depend on our imagination. It's like reading a book, the way I perceive the story is always going to be a little different than another person's perception. I can understand how people will not be satisfied but I guess I'm just different since if I really like a book and they turn it into a movie or drama, there's no way I will watch it and ruin the story that I saw in my head. It's just not going to be the same to me.  I've just become addicted to the manwha , but realize the drama is just going to be a story using some of the pieces from it.  The comments about the cast is to be expected if you follow Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung, a lot of people love to write about their dislike for both of them. I have loved some the writer's dramas and also have faith in the Pd-nim who has brought us Nine Times Time Travel, Queen Inchon's Man and the Three Musketeers. I agree people should just wait to see the drama but I'm sure there's still going to a lot of negative things written. Some people just can't help themselves, it's just better to not read them.:wink:

17 hours ago, evie7 said:

if I really like a book and they turn it into a movie or drama, there's no way I will watch it and ruin the story that I saw in my head. It's just not going to be the same to me.

im exactly like that i think perfume is one of the very few that i enjoyed the movie after i already read the book.

and bf any SSK dramas there are so many negative comments, but i think it is actually reducing from one drama to the next and probably for NJH as well. 

making

New stills!

These actors will make a special appearance in the drama.

3oSAYjuYHgPo636334657175843909.jpg

"Bride of the Water God 2017" Lee Kyeong-yeong, Yang Dong-geun and Jo Jung-chi

Lee Kyeong-yeong, Yang Dong-geun are making special appearances in the new tvN drama 'Bride of the Water God 2017".

"Bride of the Water God 2017" is a fantasy romance drama about a water god named Ha Baek (Nam Joo-hyuk) who lives in the human world and a female doctor who is destined to be a servant of the water god but pretends to be a realist named So-ah (Sin Se-kyeong).

Lee Kyeong-yeong takes on the role of Dae Sa-je, the head of the water world. He recognizes transfer season of the royal throne and tells Ha Baek about it. Lee Kyeong-yeong worked with director Kim Byeong-soo and writer Jeong Yoon-jeong from "Bride of the Water God 2017" before and is making this special appearance out of loyalty.

Yang Dong-geun is Joo Dong, the caretaker of the gods' world. He has high tolerance and is naïve. He has a strong sense of duty for his responsibilities as the god of the human land. However, he often disappears in the human world and can't be found.

Jo Jung-chi is Hwa Gong, a preserver of Ha Baek's appearance for generations. He is in awe of Ha Baek's mightiness and makes a fuss of drawing just a single eye of Ha Baek.

On June 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM, evie7 said:

I don't understand how anyone could think that a direct adaptation would really work. I just started to read it myself, and while there's the artwork that gives us the picture, we do have to depend on our imagination. It's like reading a book, the way I perceive the story is always going to be a little different than another person's perception. I can understand how people will not be satisfied but I guess I'm just different since if I really like a book and they turn it into a movie or drama, there's no way I will watch it and ruin the story that I saw in my head. It's just not going to be the same to me.  I've just become addicted to the manwha , but realize the drama is just going to be a story using some of the pieces from it.  The comments about the cast is to be expected if you follow Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung, a lot of people love to write about their dislike for both of them. I have loved some the writer's dramas and also have faith in the Pd-nim who has brought us Nine Times Time Travel, Queen Inchon's Man and the Three Musketeers. I agree people should just wait to see the drama but I'm sure there's still going to a lot of negative things written. Some people just can't help themselves, it's just better to not read them.:wink:

I'll be watching this drama with an open mind, the way I would watch it as if I've never read the manhwa. I'm so excited for it to air already, and can't wait for what the production has in stores for us viewers. I guess we can't prevent negative opinions, so it's better to just let it be.

• Chellsee changed the title to [Upcoming tvN Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부 - Nam Joo Hyuk, Shin Se Kyung <

When I first read the manhwa, I knew we would see a drama from it one day! Was elated when I learnt that NJH would be the male lead, especially after seeing him in Weightlifting Fairy- he's just perfect for it! Not a fan of SSK at all and a little disappointed that it would be a modern version but am a sucker for fairy tale romances, so will definitely watch and see how it goes. Fighting NJH!

• Chellsee changed the title to [Upcoming tvN Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부 - Nam Joo Hyuk, Shin Se Kyung <Mondays & Tuesdays, July 3, KST 23:00>

Archived