[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

16 hours ago, faye406 said:

@akausagi

Unfortunately no...

The actress looks similar to Park Jin Joo (who acts as nurse in Jealousy Incarnate)...

How disappointing, I wish Ruler at least update their fans, since it's really really tiring to wait with no news about the drama nor the characters. My anticipation is being challenged here.. hahaha.. Nice save BTW :D

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi everyone! I've been MIA because I just started working full time but I have been lurking and trying to catch up.  It's crazy how fast time flies by, In two months we'll be seeing our actors on screen. I'm just concerned about the timing. Because I have a feeling that they're going to end up filming even when broadcast starts. Sageuks take a lot longer to film that modern dramas so I wonder if they'll be able to finish before May... I rather have them film longer rather than film in a rush and produce something that's not good quality. 

I've also been looking at all the casts and I wonder why we don't have any information regarding people around Ga Eun. Because even if you look at the character charts everyone is associated with the prince. I wonder who is playing her father or mother? And one of the people who posted BTS of Ruler said that they saw KSH and she was "brutal".. I wonder what that means?

40 minutes ago, an05 said:

I've also been looking at all the casts and I wonder why we don't have any information regarding people around Ga Eun. Because even if you look at the character charts everyone is associated with the prince. I wonder who is playing her father or mother? And one of the people who posted BTS of Ruler said that they saw KSH and she was "brutal".. I wonder what that means?

yup, besides L, there is no other casts (till today) that have been announced as in KSH's side... By BRUTAL , maybe her clothes are dark? like Ninja, look badass not in those pastel colour of hanbok..  or maybe she's among the assassins on the roof like in previous photos?  :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: everything is possible because we don't have any details description of each character.

16 hours ago, faye406 said:

By BRUTAL , maybe her clothes are dark? like Ninja, look badass not in those pastel colour of hanbok..  or maybe she's among the assassins on the roof like in previous photos?  :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: everything is possible because we don't have any details description of each character.

I hope her character is independant rather than damsel in distress type (?) 

Did anyone see yoonas look in her new dramad1b064f8fe66bb47bc9d6afe1c67c580.jpg

I hope so hyun has a similar look to this but in all black, i think that will make her look more  ninja style/assasin :confounded:

I doubt that it would happen but I would love for sohyun's character to have action scenes. I know she was practicing horse riding but in sageuks I feel like the female characters never get to do all of the cool action/fighting scenes. I feel like problems with Korean dramas is the lack of development of female characters. No matter how great an actress is, most scriptwriters focus on developing male characters:/

I'm excited to see that Ruler now has an official IG page! It won't open until 3/20 but since they already have 4 posts on there we can probably expect BTS pics soon. I also have been checking out updates on king loves as well and I find it really strange that they're getting a lot more updates than ruler. Not only did king loves started filming before ruler they've already released a lot of BTS pics. I wonder why they don't have this drama air before ruler since they seem to be ahead in terms of filming completion. 

But it does seem like MBC is starting to prepare their gear for ruler promotions as we can see from our posts. They uploaded the teaser we saw from January again on their facebook.

On 07/03/2017 at 6:59 PM, kimsohyun1201 said:

I hope her character is independant rather than damsel in distress type (?) 

Did anyone see yoonas look in her new drama

I hope so hyun has a similar look to this but in all black, i think that will make her look more  ninja style/assasin :confounded:

I've watched almost all KSH dramas & movies and she tends to take roles that more to a strong-headed girl, independent, not the type that can easily be bullied and of course not in damsel in distress ... I hope in Ruler, her character also becomes very strong and desperate to show the desire to kill the crown prince. Hopefully... 

@an05

they already open that Instagram by today and the photos are the same old photos, not the exclusive one. Maybe by 3/20, they will put a new teaser. 

I just go through The King Loves thread, and I can see that they are flourished with lots of BTS and interviews while we were very secretive and can I say almost none. 

On 08/03/2017 at 9:14 PM, Berou said:

I don't want her to be there as a love interest and support to the male lead.  the ideal would be her having her own agenda too after falling in love with the crown prince beside fighting for justice alongside Lee Sun.

this is the problem with kdramas, they focus too much on the males and give little development character about the female. she is often used as a  source of motivation and an ornament. Pretty face, pretty smile, cut done, success!

yup, true.. that exactly what in my mind.. thanks for putting it into words!

The other actors were training for their sword fighting scene                                          

I can't remember their names.

For merchandise purpose maybe...

Guysss.. update..  but there no official news yet.. I assume that guy mentioned they need 3-4 months more to finish their filming..so, overall, they will done filming around June- July ..maybe who can read Korean can translate it better.

@faye406 I'd rather if they move the airing date instead and broadcast The Kings Love first before RULER. I prefer quality and super prepared drama for our leads over a rushed one. :mellow: While they're at it please bring @Berou ideas into life :wub: haha. Ninja Han Ga Eun fighting with our masked Prince Lee Sun :D Or not as long there is a strong independent heroine that can match equally with our male characters. I hope they won't waste our leads talents, it's a once in a lifetime pairing answered by drama gods.. hahahaha.

In the meantime, i'll keep my expectations low and wait for the drama, some stills, updates & teasers. (In no particular order)

yeah, I had a feeling that 5 months would not be enough for a sageuk... I'm glad they decided not to rush into things and try to film everything before May. I just hope they're starting to edit and piece together all of the scenes for the first few episodes already and make sure that they have everything they need to make a quality drama. Nowadays, you have to catch the viewers by the first episode or they won't watch the drama. A lot of sageuks tend to leave the exciting stuff in the middle but I rather that they start the first few episodes with a bang to get people interested. I hope they're not going to do that cliche child to adult transition in the first few episodes... 

Hello everyone. I started lurking in this thread since November but I only made an account today. I'm so excited for Ruler!

That said, I'm watching Splash Splash Love right now and realized it's from MBC. I haven't really liked anything from MBC for years now until Splash Splash Love. Granted, the latter is a fusion sageuk, so it's kind of quirky and fun, but it doesn't take away the fact that it's a good quality drama. The cinematography is great. The timing for everything is perfect. It's not too fast and not to draggy. It's comedic but it knows how and when to insert romantic, dramatic or poignant parts. And the OST is good too. It's not distracting, but applied in a way that intensifies the feelings of a specific scene. This sounds like I'm making an analysis on the drama, but my point is, I hope that Ruler will achieve this kind of quality. I'm not really a sageuk fan, but I know how to appreciate a good drama, whatever genre it is. I hope that Ruler will appeal to all kinds of audiences--not just teens or ahjummas. I don't want Ruler to be too old-fashioned or too modern. I want it to be the kind of drama that people won't have anything to complain about. And lastly, I want it to succeed for the actors and actresses who took part in it.

Yoon so hee picture for today

This is Sohyun's picture in the early of filming..

Looking to these two above pictures make me wonder what kind of hair styles in this saeguk drama.... This is more likely to Goryeo era compare to the Joseon era..

While below pic obviously from Joseon era.

Maybe someone can help me to clarify this?

Spoiler

Archived