[Drama 2017] Missing Nine 미씽나인

Go Seung Ji

This article was posted on 2017-03-08

Missing 9: Even if Chanyeol came back to life, it could be disappointing.

In MBC’s Wednesday, Thursday mini series Missing Nine 14th episode, Jeong Kyung-Ho and Choi Tae-Joon fought, which was won by Jeong Kyung-Ho. Judging from the last two broadcasts from this week, there was still a chance for two plot twists .

The biggest twist of Missing Nine was caused by two things. Firstly, the death of Jae-Ho was discovered through the CCTV evidence inside of Ryu-Woon’s phone.

cms_temp_article_08122219786540.jpg 

From episode 15 and 16, if we continue to follow the story from the past events, another twist could have happened: new information could be revealed from inside Ryu-Woon’s phone or another missing member could return causing the current situation to shake up again.

Because the possible results of episode 16 fight was completed in episode 14, the only person who has vanished and yet to return is Chanyeol, which brings interest on whether or not he would return. Of course, Ryu-Woon could come back to life as well. Even if the dead body was checked, it was someone else. However, the great setting of Missing Nine still makes the idea possible. 

Could Chanyeol come back to life? Why should we focus on this problem?

One of the reasons why Missing Nine maintains a low audience rating is because of curiosity and expectation that Chanyeol will return to life. If that’s so, is Missing Nine only for Chanyeol? (t/n:meaning that he’s was the center of attention that’ll bring viewers) Outside of Chanyeol being in Missing Nine, there’s nothing much left. If audience isn’t focused on Chanyeol’s survival and return, we’re they only focused on him during the drama activities? If Chanyeol was the one to cause his own death, he would have had a match with Choi Tae-Joon. 

Chanyeol took the initiative in playing the role of Lee Yeol, who is sometimes on the fence about Choi Tae-Joon. Even though the story of Missing Nine received comments from viewers, because the actors are given praise for their excellent performances, Chanyeol’s acting skills could have matured during the drama. (t/n: meaning that Chanyeol’s acting could have improved if he kept working with them and brought his character back to life)

After episode 15 and 16, it’s both possible that Chanyeol is alive or not. Even if he came back, both Lee Yeol and Chanyeol will be lost because of the show’s low impact. (t/n: meaning it won’t do the show any good since they already have low ratings, bringing him back who be kind of useless and in some way using his popularity)

cms_temp_article_08122236599570.jpg 

If Chanyeol doesn’t come back to life, was Chanyeol’s role for Missing Nine only supporting?

Unless the character’s sudden disappearance was caused by a disagreement between the drama’s writer and production team about a story change, Chnayeol’s character was never mentioned again in the 5th and 6th episode. His death or disappearance isn’t clearly shown which does not match with the main plot of Missing Nine.

Just like a blacklist of unmentionable names, Chanyeol’s character was lost in the CRT and is living in secret. (t/n: the author is referring to cathode ray tube that’s built inside TVs, implying that his character was lost in the TV and never came out) If it did finish this way, it can be said that Chanyeol’s role in Missing Nine was a short-term supporting role.

Spoiler

cms_temp_article_08122242205071.jpg

If Chanyeol’s character wasn’t an important role to begin with but just a special cameo, he should have disappeared right after the first two broadcasts. Since then, imagine what would have happened to Missing Nine viewings when Chanyeol’s support voiced their thoughts through SNS sites. 

Even if Chanyeol came back to life, it’s already too late.

From the 6th episode review, there was a chance of Chanyeol’s return. If he returned, the 8th episode could have been the best for it. If not, he should have returned in the 9th or 10th episode. Even if he didn’t return, there still needs to be a clear reason why. Without any mentions, both cases missed an opportunity. Even if Chanyeol was still alive, would the viewers be happy?

When the viewers’ expectation is high, the plot twist should have been revealed. In a point in time, a scenario caused by a plot twist would be given a score. (t/n: referring to how plot twists can improve the series and increase ratings because it add more suspense and interest) However, these days viewers can easily tell plot twists from betrayal. The same goes for viewers in movies.

Spoiler

cms_temp_article_08122252507862.jpg

Plot twists are viewed as true plot twist only when they contradict each other. There could still be two plausible stories if you can put another twist on an existing plot twist. If you already know each twist then the story is pointless. So, viewers are feeling a sense of betrayal from the show rather than the story’s plot and getting joy from it. Rather than a dull plot twist, there are many cases when it’s more helpful to maintain the box office (t/n: meaning that it’s just better to make a show that’ll make money rather than making one with a boring story).

Even when lovers are separated, there’s still a possibility the the person’s heart will clear up and reach their hand out again. Once you’ve resolved everything and made up you mind, it’ll be too let to meet again. Why they won’t meet again is only because there are no words left to say. (t/n: not sure why the author said something like this, but they mean that while there’s still a chance to do something don't wait until it’s near end or finished all together. If Chanyeol’s death was still up in the air surely they could have done something to satisfy both the story and viewers.)

Spoiler

cms_temp_article_08122258269449.jpg

Even if he came back, Chanyeol should have returned when the audience’s attention was gaining more suspense. The fact that this happened to everyone else in Missing Nine raises suspicions.

While some viewers think there’s not a drama as interesting as Missing Nine during its run, some people don’t understand why the show has gotten so many comments. However, Missing Nine is a drama with many good sides even if it’s not all of it. Therefore, there is slight regret in what could have happened in Missing Nine if all the details, story plot and audience’s interest were maintained and put together perfectly.

cr: Aeriverse Translation Team:: 38sr
[ARTICLE

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those last 10 minutes were high level of creativity whether or up or down is debatable.

Interview

Jung Kyung-ho (35) who played the lead Seo Joon-oh had an interview.[Star news, OSEN]
His father is PD Jung Eul-young who directed ‘Promise of thousand days’ and ‘Childless comfort’ among others. “It was long ago my father disapproved me doing acting. He still doesn’t like it but seems accepting it. In a way it is a difficult career to survive. When I said I’d study theater acting in college when I was in high school, he objected furiously.” Jung also said he doesn’t get advice on acting from his father. “The longer I work in this area, the more I love what I am doing and giving attention, I realize how amazing my father is. Somehow when I felt that, I couldn’t ask him “How was I?”, so we just do our things.”

The show ended with a paint scene where they said “We are ruined” after they finished painting, and people wondered if that line described the situation of the drama. The drama finished with low ratings (4.2%). “I admit we filmed that scene not like the ending. It was epilogue, just wrap-up stage. Ending of the drama was villains getting punished, and painting scene was the epilogue. Painting was really terrible. Because we ruined the painting work, we joked each other saying “We will just forget it if we are going to do like this.”, but I think it could be interpreted that way too.”

Drama started with 6.5%, but ratings never increased due to nonsense set up and plot development. “Of course I feel sad about ratings, but I am satisfied personally. It was a drama I have learned and felt a lot. I tried to show my real self, and I tried even harder thinking I might not meet another drama with this type of plot. I think the friendship I gained with actors will last long. From the time of script reading, we have spent 6 months together, and as we spent time in JeJu island together we became very close. Actually there were times we didn’t wash for a few days because we had to do the make up next day again to do the shooting. There were 9 actors and many staffs, but there was not even once trouble. It was the first set for me that nobody wanted to leave and all smiled. I think we grew attached. Because we were together so long, it feels strange not seeing them anymore. I think everybody would feel the same way.”. He just felt sad for all the hours actors and staffs put in having difficulties. “Rather than thinking ratings were disappointing, I feel sad about those hours because I had hard time, and all the actors and staffs had hard time working on the show. I thought how it would’ve been nice if more people watched the show.”

Jung also felt disappointed about the ending. “Missing 9 is the drama dealing with humanity, but I think as the story went to mystery area, unexplainable parts became too big and it couldn’t find the solution. I feel sad it wrapped up trying to solve all the stuff they stretched out ineffectively.”
The setup of the show was deserted island which was uncommon for a drama. “Our airplane plunged into the sea, I fell into the sea, was hit by storm, but it didn’t feel so bad maybe because it was funnier than I expected. It was hard to go into the water the first time, but it became easier the second time.”
He also showed comical acting skills in the show. “A few scenes were too funny so that I thought I couldn’t digest twice, so I didn’t do rehearsal. When I was on the set, PD-nim didn’t even say ‘Cut’ and camera director-nim kept filming moving its angels. I am the type who can’t do the acting just sitting.”
Jung doesn’t do much ad-lib. “I don’t think ad-lib is good. If something slipped without exactly understanding the situation, it could ruin the scene, so I am cautious. There are writers and directors who don’t like ad-libs. Only when I became comfortable with Seo Joon-ho role, I ad-libbed a word here and there.”
The hottest character in the missing 9 was Tae-ho. In the show he killed six people, yet he kept coming back alive. “Choi Tae-joon really did well. Missing 9 is a drama portraying the survival in a deserted island, and the growth of Seo Joon-oh character. But because Tae-joon did so well the mystery became expanded. I think it was difficult for him to do that acting. I didn’t expect Tae-ho went that far myself in the drama.”

He had a feedback this show was Jung Kyung-ho’s re-discovery. “Even though it has been 16 years since I debuted, I am still re-discovered. It is hard to hear the word “re-discovery” when you’ve worked in the area for 16 years. I think it is my strength and will try even harder for more re-discovery. I am thankful for such response. I think my acting is still lacking. After I came back from my army duty, I worried I might not be able to do the acting which I really love to do. There are so many roles I have not tried. I’d like to play professional roles, period shows and another sageuk.” After his army duty, he has avoided taking heavy roles saying he is cheery person. “I wanted to avoid something heavy. I want to do something fun and cheerful. When I do such a project, I do it all excited. I think it is more fun presenting me more human-like.”

How does he want to be viewed to the audience? “I wish people feel their neighbor appears in the TV watching me. I wish they say “I know that person!” watching me. When I went to the market after the show, people smiled at me. I think people became more comfortable with me.” Even though he was friendly with all actors on the site, he said Choi Tae-joon and Exo’s Chan yeol were not that close because of age difference. “I am thankful to play an idol role when I am 35 years old. Still it was difficult to blend in with Tae-Joon and Chan Yeol. So When they were talking I just listened. There were times I couldn’t understand, and even learned some new words.”

He is also known for his dating with GG Soo Young(PU 38) since 2014. He said she monitored his projects including Missing 9 but has no plans for wedding. He was a “flower actor” in his 20s.”I think I expressed with what I have in my 20’s, but now I think I get to know what I have. I hope I can show better image when I reach 40. I think I did good starting Missing 9. I had good start and I hope I can do more good projects this year. Personally I met good people so I think I achieved what I want in 2017.”

•  

Archived