[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

18 minutes ago, LMHolic said:

Im definitely late, too late. So Ratings increased yaay im so happy

But Chingus i dint watch 17th epi with subs yet. I dnt have the heart to see HJJ aka LMH Oppa cry or heartbroken,evn if its scripted & cant wait 1 week again.:(. Live stream itself left me hertbroken and sad for past 2 days. 

Chingus help me? What should i do? Should i watch the episode with subs or wait for the show to complete its run? :( 

Hii :))

Yes, you should watch it with sub. It is true that episode 17 is the saddest. It is sad in manyy ways!! Chung talking to her two friends and thanking them is also a bit sad yet beautiful, Chung and Jun Jae talking, recalling their memories and Jun Jae's words to Chung are really heartbreaking. Even Cha Sia scene and her crying was sad!! Jun Jae's Dad scene crying on the phone and his last words are sad.And Last but not least, Jun Jae's heart-wrenching cry at the end is the saddest of all!!

But The Lines in this episode are so beautifully worded. You should know what JJ's dad tells his son on the phone. You should also see Jun Jae and Chung Conversation. It is all sad but I really love how the writer has Made EVERYY scene and characters seem all sad and so heart-wrenching in 1 episode. After all, actors and actresses can Shine and bring out the best in themselves through sad , heavy and tough scenes. If they act the heart-wrenching and heavy moments well, then it shows how capable they are. The heavy scenes also make us viewers get emotionally invested in the drama which is great. Because it means we find all these characters and moments so real that we think about them, shed tears and have sympathy for them. Kudos to all the cast for episode 17!!

I even think Kang Sohee was veryyy well-acted in episode 17!! The actress gave all her best!! She finally made such a Big Evilish step that she made Kang Sohee an unforgettable Evil step-mom.

When detective was telling Jun Jae that he has talked to JJ's dad's doctor, He then told Jun Jae that "your father's cornea needs replacment surgery soon". The detective looked sad for Jun Jae and I could really feel that the detective has really warmed to Jun Jae. In other words, he feels sorry for him and wants to help him. Jun Jae has grown on the detective too. The detective is becoming like His big brother. He shouted at him and said why didn't you get your father ourside the house?? :))

• Like 12

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "The Legend of the Blue Sea" Episode 17

C2G1AygUQAE6Ob1.jpg

Episode 17 dives into the heart of the issues between our main couple and into the dastardly deeds of Ji-hyeon's mother. It even tackles the relationship between Joon-jae's father, although it's too little too late.

Joon-jae and his father were always at a standoff until his father was made to kick the bucket via poisoning. There was very little insight to his father's end of their relationship and that made the relationship lacking. Lee Min-ho's tears were moving, but not founded by good plot stuffs. Ji-hyeon's mother, however, was quite interesting as a villainess. Despite Dae-yeong losing his memory and Ji-hyeon's obvious hesitation to do wrong, she continues in her ways. She's a lost cause. I only wish she seemed more dangerous as an overall villain. I do appreciate how Joon-jae and his cop friend have come together to solve the crime and also how Nam-doo plans on selling his knowledge of Cheong the mermaid. Both add much needed depth to an otherwise faltering show.

Ji-hyeon is another mishandled character. We needed more insight into him before this point. Right now he seems like a whiny, unmotivated brat rather than someone truly troubled. At the same time, he along with Cheong and Joon-jae have a chance to change their pasts and change their fate. It would be great if he instigated that change and stopped the cycle.

Cheong and Joon-jae fight, mostly because Cheong ignores him as she struggles to digest the fact that their fate seems to be a sad one that ends in death. Finally, Joon-jae stops her from overthinking and assures her of his steadfastness. He shouldn't have lied, but the cure for their argument wasn't isolation. It was communication. I'm curious to how they are going to circumvent fate and their sticky pasts.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea-episo17-102406.html

• Like 11

Just a quick question, does the Korean audience (Knetizens) prefer an open ending over a Happy Ending for the OTP? Maybe this may drive the ratings up?? Gonna rip our hearts, but for the purpose of higher ratings, just write an open ending - So HJJ & SC will never be together or we are NOT going to be sure they will ever be together?? Maybe do a LOTBS Part 2???

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I thought of something else positive for HJJ.  Hopefully manager nam (is that his name?) makes a full recovery. He was like a surrogate father for HJJ when his real father ignored him. Sure, not his real father, but I believe that he loves HJJ like his own son.  

A question: why would evil step mother wait until now to do away with the father if her intent was to kill him from the get go? She could have done it after 5 years unless she was (1) waiting for father to amass more of a fortune or (2) HCH was too Young to run the company. 

@CarolynH  Good thoughts, both!  Manager Nam will save the day and HJJ.  Maybe stepmom had to wait because HJJ was still the heir and she couldn't get rid of him sooner because he ran away.  (Also, her henchman, MDY, was in prison.)  If Nam-doo were part of her squad, couldn't she have done it sooner?

MDY said there was a very good reason stepmom was waiting and watching.  What is it?

• Like 8

16 hours ago, mythicalove said:

I know I am holding onto a thin thread of hope of but could the writer throw in just one last twist and make a miracle happen? I want her to bring back the dad. HJJ is in so much pain. He didn't want the stupid fortune, no, he never cared for it! He wanted his dad's love. Winning his father's inheritance means close to richard simmons to him. Even if he strips MDY and KJY of everything and damn them to hell, he can never bring back his father. And in this sense, he loses to them no matter what. It's unfair! He doesn't deserve it. 

I read some speculations from some other sites and people are hoping that the father faked his death and will appear later to revenge. I know it makes absolutely no sense in terms of editing and directing and things will not add up, but please, I am begging, for the sake of HJJ, bring him back! If they can do this and do it well and believable, I will bounce off the walls. truly mind blown! Throw him a bone writer, HJJ doesn't deserve it. 

@babyval22 if we are weighing an open ending against a tragic ending, hand downs, I take the open end any day. 

I keep thinking of how we asked for the writer to maintain the intensity and now I'm regretting it because I can't handle the agony. I feel like I'm dying here. Wednesday has never seem longer away. I need to know they are ok. 

Me too! I keep thinking how writer nim seems to give so much twist in this show that we didn't actually see the father dying. It was only his last msg and the scene where HJJ saw his father in the stretcher. Although deep down I think it's too far fetched to wish that his dad faked his death, you never know! But he's so blind and weak now that I dun think it's possible for him to do that anymore. Sighs. I think it's just us clinging onto any hope that HJJ might have his complete happy ending.) :

16 hours ago, nika94 said:

I totally agree! Nam Do has been really creepy and scary!! Jun Jae told him "Hyun! (Big brother), I might not be able to come home tonight, take care of Chungie":tears::tears:

Imagine Jun Jae is already suffering big time from Dad's loss. Now even a shocking betrayl could hit Jun Jae!! It could be like writer is adding salt to Jun Jae's wounds. How Jun Jae is gonna handle all these stuff from now on?? He should quickly collect himself and be strong!! :((

I have this very weird thought now, although I think the possibility of it happening is close to zero. What happens if ND was to do sth to SC or did sth to her but found out that HJJ has lost his dad and decided to not turn bad? Hahahs. Me and my imaginations. That would prolly not happen. 

15 hours ago, Moonrain said:

Joon Jae-ya, what did you do in your past life to deserve all this :huh: 

The problem was he didn't even do anything. He was someone noble, and kind. And all he did was to fall in love with a mermaid. Uri poor HJJ. ):

11 hours ago, mythicalove said:

I hate to admit it but you are certainly correct. The father's death will serve as the main mechanism to investigate full on, with the detectives and cops cooperating actively, and evidence against KJY. I was just in denial for a moment there. I guess I should just let go of any last hopes. I've cried my eyes out already so now it's time to let go. 

The father's death is a turning point in the drama. None of us expected the father to be gone so so soon. Urgh. Let's just sit tight and pray that writer nim will give this show a complete and fulfilled story! 

• Like 6

@Alice Mendoza, I'd assume a happy ending is what most people would love to see. Just my opinion.I mean... I do!:):wub:

Kdramas no longer just cater to Koreans since they've expanded their market globally. So, it's not just the Knets but it's a much larger scope which is the general public/viewers across the globe. Again, siting MLFAS as an example. It was originally set for a 20 ep drama but was given an extension by SBS. The epilogue for ep 21 wasn't enough due to viewer's/public's demand for a happy ending, An extension of the epilogue was necessary which was aired during the MLFAS special. It showed how CSY and DMJ lived happily ever after. Fans wanted to see that DMJ actually found a way to stay on earth and be with CSY. DMJ made CSY's wish come true.. a house in the suburbs with a big lawn, a dog and build a family of their own. It was pretty short but it was satisfying enough.At least it didn't just leave us thinking and imaging what could've really happened to the leads.

Part 2?? Nah,,, it's not very common in a 3mos running Kdramas to have a second season. Unless, it's a heavy drama which is usually set for a 50+ or more episodes. Extending a drama for an episode or two is more feasible.:wink: 

It's always up to the Writer whether they wanna re-write what they've originally written for the ending. Whether to go with the original or take the viewer's opinion. That's what's good about live-shoots.. It's more flexible. Anyway, whatever ending a drama may have a fan will always be a fan and still watch it and for sure will be re-watching it!:wink:

• Like 10

I just took the plunge and finished ep 16 and 17 with subs. 

So any things going through my mind now. What did CH do to help his dad? Or did he let his dad die?

And was that all to the voice msg that dad left HJJ with? Nothing else that the show might not have shown? Seems so funny that dad ended the voice msg with his regrets but nothing abt the fact that may help HJJ in future. 

These are the things that went through my mind as I watched it with subs. 

Sighs. Wednesday, palli palli! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hunter White said:

@Alice Mendoza, I'd assume a happy ending is what most people would love to see. Just my opinion.I mean... I do!:):wub:

Kdramas no longer just cater to Koreans since they've expanded their market globally. So, it's not just the Knets but it's a much larger scope which is the general public/viewers across the globe. Again, siting MLFAS as an example. It was originally set for a 20 ep drama but was given an extension by SBS. The epilogue for ep 21 wasn't enough due to viewer's/public's demand for a happy ending, An extension of the epilogue was necessary which was aired during the MLFAS special. It showed how CSY and DMJ lived happily ever after. Fans wanted to see that DMJ actually found a way to stay on earth and be with CSY. DMJ made CSY's wish come true.. a house in the suburbs with a big lawn, a dog and build a family of their own. It was pretty short but it was satisfying enough.At least it didn't just leave us thinking and imaging what could've really happened to the leads.

Part 2?? Nah,,, it's not very common in a 3mos running Kdramas to have a second season. Unless, it's a heavy drama which is usually set for a 50+ or more episodes. Extending a drama for an episode or two is more feasible.:wink: 

It's always up to the Writer whether they wanna re-write what they've originally written for the ending. Whether to go with the original or take the viewer's opinion. That's what's good about live-shoots.. It's more flexible. Anyway, whatever ending a drama may have a fan will always be a fan and still watch it and for sure will be re-watching it!:wink:

THANK YOU for your comforting words, Hunter White!! You and Mythicalove are a real source of comfort (plus great info) to a KDrama newbie like me!! 

• Like 5

The Top 15 K-Drama Actors Of 2016

C2Ie1lNVIAAwa3F.jpg

One thing Korea will never be short of is good-looking and talented actors. The year 2016 proved to be yet another year where many talented actors showed that they have what it takes to be considered stars.

Here are the nominees for Actor of the Year in the 12th Annual Soompi Awards:

LEE MIN HO~

Currently starring in SBS’s “The Legend of the Blue Sea” as con-artist Heo Joon Jae, there really is not much more that can be said about this Hallyu star. It’s been a long time since his perm days in “Boys Over Flowers,” and since then, his fan base has grown exponentially as well as his experience. Lee Min Ho never fails to show his charm, good-character, and charisma no matter what role he’s in. Even when he’s playing a conman, he still manages to make us swoon!

***skip unrelated***

https://www.soompi.com/2017/01/14/2016-k-drama-actors-year/

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, babyval22 said:

I just took the plunge and finished ep 16 and 17 with subs. 

So any things going through my mind now. What did CH do to help his dad? Or did he let his dad die?

And was that all to the voice msg that dad left HJJ with? Nothing else that the show might not have shown? Seems so funny that dad ended the voice msg with his regrets but nothing abt the fact that may help HJJ in future. 

These are the things that went through my mind as I watched it with subs. 

Sighs. Wednesday, palli palli! 

JJ's dad thought he would leave JJ all his property after he died. He didn't know actually JJ would not get anything.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

JJ's dad thought he would leave JJ all his property after he died. He didn't know actually JJ would not get anything.

What i meant was even after JJ told him the truth, and he heard the truth himself, shouldn't he be asking himself why would stepmum and stepson wanna do him in?  And there should be some form of suspicion that his will might have been not what he thinks he is, thus me wondering if he mentioned anything at all in his last message to HJJ. I mean, the stepum didn't even allow him to have access to his phone, thats why he hid his phone from stepmum. I dunno why but after watching the episode with subs, i feel as though dad's access to his mobile phone might also play a part in helping HJJ. There could be a reason why this part was mentioned, and even stepmum made it a point to call his phone to ensure that it was not on.. 

• Like 5