Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

10 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Now, given that TK was also good at mimicking, it was no stretch of imagination that TK would sound different from what he was 20, 30 years ago. It’s reasonable that he would change to sound like DS.

This applies to writing styles too. If you often see someones writing, you will start unconsciously mimicking them. You won't completely change your writing style but if your writing was initially very spiky and your SO's round, over time you'll see your writing becoming more rounded and theirs becoming more spiky. The human brain is an interesting organ. :D

Mental note for myself because I can't find my notes: Ep 12 narrator is Bora. 

51 minutes ago, babyviolets said:

I find the scene where DS is teaching CT to curse really interesting because the whole gang was there, but only CT and DS are actually facing each other and talking.  The rest seem like bystanders to their conversation, merely observing and reacting to what they're doing, but not really part of it.  Neither of the two seemed interested in inviting the rest into their "lesson" too, which should have been the common courtesy especially since the rest already expressed their curiosity. This seems to me shows how DS and CT have always had a special connection with each other that the rest of their friends didn't share.

Yes, so true! Like a circle of two.  

Another thing that I like was when DR invited the to go to the Western restaurant. If you noticed, TK was looking at DS when he said that he had a match that day. He looked worried. 

Then he turned to SW to answer him that he'd try to finish his game early. This called to mind what DR said in the previous episode. DR was debating out loud whether TK would try to attend an event, if DS were to command him so. The answer is: yes, he would finish up it early. 

So, for me, this is like a foreshadowing of Episode 18 Forfeit, and the married life of Episode 20, when the Adult TK arrived at the coffee shop to do an interview although he didn't really want to sit for interviews. He would come if DS "whistled."

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

BTW, the narrator for Episode 9: Crossing the Line was DS

Thanks! I always get sidetracked when we do re-watches and forget to note it down. It's no wonder it takes me days to compile a post. 

This is what I have so far. If anyone can help fill in the blank episodes, it would be much appreciated. :wub: [Shown as: Ep. title, narrator, ep. #] All I need is the ep # and name of the narrator. I have the rest already written down. 

1. Hand in Hand, Adult DS, 1
  2. The one thing you’re mistaken about me, Young DS, 2
  3. Not guilty if you’re rich, guilty if you’re poor, Young DS, 3
  1. Crossing the Line, Deok Sun, 9
  2. Memory, no narrator, 10
  1. Loving someone means, Bora, 12
  1. Goodbye, my first love, JH, 18
  1. Goodbye youth, goodbye ssangmun-dong, DS, 20

1 hour ago, cooleet said:

I don't get it why JH tries so hard to contain his laughter when DS was being funny

I think it was a compare/contrast thing in the script.

JH was restraining himself from showing that he approved of her antics WHILE TK was open about displaying that he liked her even she was goofy. Even DR told him to get a hold of himself. 

I don’t like that about JH. He spoils the enjoyment of others by showing disdain or, in this case, by not joining in with the silliness.  

It reminded me of this...

The saddest thing, is being with someone who refuses to dream with you. Who shies away from adventures. Rather than joining you, they seek to make your world smaller, so it's is more comfortable for them. Be careful of the straight and narrow....:

And where's that set of gifs by @kepogee? Let me look for that. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, phikyl said:

This is what I have so far. If anyone can help fill in the blank episodes, it would be much appreciated. :wub: [Shown as: Ep. title, narrator, ep. #] All I need is the ep # and name of the narrator. I have the rest already written down. 

1. Hand in Hand, Adult DS, 1
  2. The one thing you’re mistaken about me, Young DS, 2
  3. Not guilty if you’re rich, guilty if you’re poor, Young DS, 3
  1. Crossing the Line, Deok Sun, 9
  2. Memory, no narrator, 10
  1. Loving someone means, Bora, 12
  1. Goodbye, my first love, JH, 18
  1. Goodbye youth, goodbye ssangmun-dong, DS, 20

I don't know if the expert researchers posted this already, but the theme song for the 1988 Seoul Olympics was "Hand in Hand."  Lyrics in spoilers.

Spoiler

Hand in Hand

See the fire in the sky
We feel the beating of our hearts together
This is our time to rise above
We know the chance is here to live forever
For all time

Hand in Hand we stand
All across the land
We can make this world 
A better place in which to live

Hand in Hand we can
Start to understand
Breaking down the walls
That come between us for all time
Arirang

Everytime we give it all
We feel the flame eternally inside us
Lift our hands up to the sky
The morning calm helps us to live in harmony
For all time

Hand in hand we stand
All across the land
We can make this world 

Hand in Hand we can
Start to understand
Breaking down the walls
Arirang

Hand in hand we stand
All across the land
We can make this world 

Hand in Hand we can
Start to understand
Breaking down the walls

Hand in hand (Breaking down the walls between us)
Hand in Hand (Breaking down the walls)

source: lyrics.net

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

I don't know if the expert researchers posted this already, but the theme song for the 1988 Seoul Olympics was "Hand in Hand."  Lyrics in spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

Hand in Hand

See the fire in the sky
We feel the beating of our hearts together
This is our time to rise above
We know the chance is here to live forever
For all time

Hand in Hand we stand
All across the land
We can make this world 

Hand in Hand we can
Start to understand
Breaking down the walls
Arirang

Everytime we give it all
We feel the flame eternally inside us
Lift our hands up to the sky
The morning calm helps us to live in harmony
For all time

Hand in hand we stand
All across the land
We can make this world 

Hand in Hand we can
Start to understand
Breaking down the walls
Arirang

Hand in hand we stand
All across the land
We can make this world 

Hand in Hand we can
Start to understand
Breaking down the walls

Hand in hand (Breaking down the walls between us)
Hand in Hand (Breaking down the walls)

source: lyrics.net

I think the song was posted earlier in the thread and that's what gave me the idea about episodes and narrators. I have to see if it works or not before I post my theory though. 

8 hours ago, tiendoank said:

SunTaek's thread is one of HOT TOPIC threads. See what we've done, girls.

movies emma stone burn easy a

This scene is another amusing one for me. I'll put it in spoiler so as not to spoil @melissala's mood.

Spoiler

She was dozing off on him again!!!

8999c75734d3cff7f48ce3f00de8c4bf.jpg

I found it funny, NOT romantic. If I were a JH shipper, I'd seriously reassess this scenario. Like, what's wrong with her? 

She was supposed to be crushing on him, right? She woke up early; she took time to primp herself up [unlike when she turned herself into a geisha for SW], and she waited at the bus stop. 

Then after all that fuss, she fell asleep the minute she sat down. Pwahahaha.  Didn’t she even want to talk to the guy? Joke with him? It was a long bus ride after all. She could have slept later.  For me, it was like she was going through a mental list: 

Things to do to attract JH:
Check.
Check.
Check.
Okay. Done! I can go to sleep now.

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

It reminded me of that scene when she woke up to find JH in her bed. All she did was asked him to go to the concert with her. And as soon as she got her answer, she ZZZZzzzz’ed on him, too. :D

• Like 8

So for this episode, how people show their love to their loved ones...

SW omma. She loves her kids especially SW. I agree with BR when she said that it hurts more for a mom to not be able to provide their kids what other kids have. I understand and sympathize with her. For me in this series, she's the best mom out of the three. The way she treats her kids and her sacrifices just to make them happy is the best of all three.

SunWoo. He showed how he loves his mom by pretending not to know what she's doing. Even before BR told him his mom's reasons, he had decided to keep it all to himself because he knows that it would hurt his mom more if she knows that he knows. I believe he understood his mom's reason but it still hurts to see her sacrificing herself just to be able to give him those stuffs.

Bora. Her actions in this episode is so not her. She brought the food to SW's house just to see him. She wore a skirt in that cold weather just to please him. She went out in the snow just to indulge him. In her own way, she showed him she loves him and at least SW is not clueless about it and is being grateful to her efforts.

Deoksun. I've said in the earlier posts, she showed Taek the kind of love and attention that he needs. She never pressures him to win a match. She always give him the biggest smile even though he lost. She's his comfort zone, his safe haven.

Taek. Out of the four friends, he's the most concerned about her because he loves her. He loves her antics. Instead of getting mad like DR when DS ran after them with mice, he instead found her amusing and smiled all throughout tho he was scared. He tried to cancel the dinner when he knew about the burberry man. He did his best to win the game as early as possible so that he could be with DS and protect her all the time. I like the way he looked at her when she went out the second time. It was full of concern and worry knowing what had happened earlier. So who would've thought that he's an imbecile?  He was there when she needs him or rather, he's always there whenever she needs rescuing.

• Like 7

@packmule3: Present!  But only for this post. Today's a packed one but I couldn't resist delurking to join the Ep. 12 rewatch.  Since I knew today would be a full day, I rewatched  episode 12  two days ago and noted the following :

For one who's supposedly in love, (this time with JH), DS slept VERY well. And if I remember right, she had no problems with sleep either when she was infatuated with SW. Fast-forward  to later episodes, with Taek backing out  from their date and the bridal run episode,  we find a DS that tosses and turns in bed, feeling restless, and losing sleep iin the process. The same change could be observed in Bora when she started liking SW. 

The scene where Taek follows DS to the washroom to protect her, after the Burberry man incident reminded me of DS's trip going home from the Dooley Supermart to buy snacks, with JH following her. From the sound effects, we sensed a scared DS scurrying  back home but JH, unlike Taek, made no motion to assure her that it was him and not any hoodlum that was about to harm her.

I noted that Taek and  his Father are so alike when it comes to pursuing the woman they love: absence of theatrics, no-fuss or cheesy Confession, steadily doing things for them without noise and without calling attention to the fact, no put-downs, full of resolve and  determination. Certainly no hesitations.

Will be back tomorrow! 

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, phikyl said:

@packmule3 The soulmates ones? I have those on my photobucket.

Credit to @kepogee for these amazing gifs! 

Ooooh! I haven't seen those before. Thanks! I'll keep them, too. 

I was actually looking for the gifs that went with one of her favorite quotes.

"Shouldn’t we hold out for the person who doesn’t just tolerate our little quirks but actually kinda likes them?" - Ted Mosby, How I Met Your Mother

tumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko1_250.giftumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko2_250.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko4_250.giftumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko3_250.gif

tumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko5_250.gif tumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko6_250.gif

tumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko7_250.giftumblr_o4sfte19Of1tulljko8_250.gif

• Like 10

1 hour ago, cooleet said:

This episode is entitled "What it Means to Love Someone"

Look at Taekie in this episode. When he found out that the burberry man shows up in that restaurant he offered to cancel the dinner for DS sake. Then I believe that he was more than inspired to win the competition that day because in his mind DS is in danger and he needs to protect her that night. He ended the game early on as he was able to change his wardrobe before going to the dinner. And everytime DS goes out he makes it a point that he goes out too to protect her. This is what it means to love someone.

Love how you pointed out the title as I was also thinking of posting something with the title in mind. 

Anyway, in this episode, we see how the different characters display their affection for their loved ones.  We see CT standing guard for DS, we see DS waking up early to catch the bus with JH, we see SW and BR working out their schedules so they can meet each other, etc.  However, all we saw in JH in this episode was him avoiding DS.  I've always been bothered by this.  Here was this episode that was supposed to be about love, yet JH was running away from it. It was only in this rewatch that I realized JH did show his love, only it was not towards the person we expected.  Instead, the love we witness from JH in this episode was that of brotherly love, to wit:

-JH letting JB sleep with him

-JH ditching movie night with his friends to come home early and watch Die Hard with JB.

-Lastly, and more importantly, he chose to cut off time with DS to go home and watch a boxing match with JB, something he obviously wasn't interested in since we see him actually falling asleep on the couch while JB animatedly watched the match in front of the telly.

This, to me, proved that JH's journey in this drama isn't romantic, but has more to do with his family.  The flashback we saw of JH (when they won the lottery), and the culmination of his character (parent's "wedding ceremony") also revolved around his family. I think this needed to be highlighted especially to those who still feels that JH's character got the short end of the stick with the ending, because by understanding that JH's priority has always been his family, we can finally view the ending in a different light.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Grace1003 said:

@packmule3: Present!  But only for this post. Today's a packed one but I couldn't resist delurking to join the Ep. 12 rewatch.  Since I knew today would be a full day, I watched  episode 12  two days ago and noted the following :

For one who's supposedly in love, (this time with JH), DS slept VERY well. And if I remember right, she had no problems with sleep either when she was infatuated with SW. Fast-forward  to later episodes, with Taek backing out  from their date and the bridal run episode,  we find a DS that tosses and turns in bed, feeling restless, and losing sleep iin the process. Thee same change could be observed in Bora when she started liking SW. 

The scene where Taek follows DS to the washroom to protect her, after the Burberry man incident reminded me of DS's trip going home from the Dooley Supermart to buy snacks, with JH following her. From the sound effects, we sensed a scared DS scurrying  back home but JH, unlike Taek, made no motion to assure her that it's him and not any hoodlum that was about to harm her.

I noted that Taek and  his Father are so alike when it comes to pursuing the woman they love: absence of theatrics, no-fuss or cheesy Confession, steadily doing things for them without noise and without calling attention to the fact, no put-downs, full of resolve and  determination. Certainly no hesitations.

Will be back tomorrow! 

Glad you posted!!  Post some more tomorrow. :)

Yes, she DID sleep. Even when she had that infamous close encounter with JH, she slept like a baby.  No sexual feelings aroused. 

Spoiler

Speaking of one-sided attraction, was she about to fall asleep again here? hahahaha. 

11-20a49.png

Meanwhile, she waited up for TK's arrival because she he was her manitto.  When TK asked her why would she do that again, when they could easily meet each other the next morning, she said, "my choice."  Again, people overlooked DS' double meaning when she said things like this. Of course, he was her choice. 

ds-tk.jpg

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, babyviolets said:

-Lastly, and more importantly, he chose to cut off time with DS to go home and watch a boxing match with JB, something he obviously wasn't interested in since we see him

actually falling asleep on the couch while JB animatedly watched the match in front of the telly.

I don't think this is the reason why JH went home early. I think the reason why he went home early is to not see the usual Taek and DS interaction. He always runs away whenever he sees them together interacting. He tried to do this too when DS was teaching Taek how to curse. I think he avoided DS in this episode because of his respect to Taek's feelings for DS. It only shows that he values his friendship more than his love for DS as did Taek in later episode.

I think the reason why Taek did the same thing (letting go of DS for a while) is out of respect to JH. He is very observant and smart. I think he realized the JH too avoided DS for his sake so he did the same thing out of respect to his friend. But it so happens that his love for DS is far greater than his love for his friend. Though it took him years to make his move on her, at least for me it's the best time to be together.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

Yes, so true! Like a circle of two.  

Another thing that I like was when DR invited the to go to the Western restaurant. If you noticed, TK was looking at DS when he said that he had a match that day. He looked worried. 

Then he turned to SW to answer him that he'd try to finish his game early. This called to mind what DR said in the previous episode. DR was debating out loud whether TK would try to attend an event, if DS were to command him so. The answer is: yes, he would finish up it early. 

So, for me, this is like a foreshadowing of Episode 18 Forfeit, and the married life of Episode 20, when the Adult TK arrived at the coffee shop to do an interview although he didn't really want to sit for interviews. He would come if DS "whistled."

It seems like DR got CT's answer in this episode too! kkk

When they met at the Western restaurant and CT mentioned how the match ended early that day, DR started rolling his eyes back and forth between CT and DS with a knowing smile.kkk.

• Like 7

Ok, just when I was about to log out, I recalled one of the significant points I wanted to post about Episode 12 and I just couldn't wait till tomorrow to share it with you. 

DS, as far as Taek is concerned, is one intrepid young lady ( remember the rodent-busting scene?  ) She seems unfazed by anything, even her 989th school ranking. The "flasher incident" afforded Taek the chance to witness DS's vulnerability. It was repeated a few episodes after when Taek found a despondent, tearful DS after the conference with her mother and her homeroom teacher on her slim chance of entering any university. While DS didn't verbalize to the exhausted Taek what she was going through, the fact remains that it was Taek, not JH, who was beside DS in two of the lowest and most vulnerable moments in her young life. These moments, too, gave Taek the opportunity to reciprocate the protection and concern DS has  lavished on him all these years.

• Like 9