[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

8 hours ago, mylkrystal said:

THIS. I'm 99% sure the spoilers were accurate and they reshot everything for a TK-DS ending. hence why it's so rushed and JH has no plotline in the end, because his plotline was supposed to be a happy ending with DS. and thanks for shoving a ton of TK-DS kisses into the last few episodes and down our throats to try to make up for an entire drama's worth of real moments between JH-DS.

#3 on NetizenBuzz truly breaks my heart for what could have been

3. [+1,394, -143] It's so obvious that they changed the plot because of the spoilers that were released. Isn't that why they're taking legal action for the spoilers? They had it all set up to where they were going to reunite as the pilot and stewardess but the spoiler was released so they had to change everything last minute and the plot was screwed up as a result.

You know why episode 18 was made so beautifully? I sincerely believe that was part of the original script, with completion of the Forrest Gump arc when DS runs to JH in reply to him running to her. Them matching as pilot and stewardess was supposed to mean something. Episode 18 was supposed to mean something. I sincerely believe even the "joke" confession was supposed to mean something. They just added in more TK based parts to these episodes and then proceeded to richard simmons up the ending with the script change. it's not hard to add in the other side, but it's impossible to clean up all the mess you've created the loose ends from what really should have happened.

If they were really changed the plot because of the spoilers, i'm here waiting someone posting reply1988 unaired version or something like that.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, luffypyon said:

From http://kkuljaem.blogspot.co.id/2016/01/spoilers-all-about-my-mom-my-daughter.html

Herald Pop - Naver: 'Reply 1988', Where did our Ryu Junyeol go? 

1. [+5,584, -181] I know right... Where did our Junghwan go?... The producers didn't show courtesy to both the actor and his character

2. [+3,863, -129] Jungpal-ah where are you? Where are you? You were amazing till the last episode

3. [+2,870,  -129] Reply leaves, and only Ryu Junyeol remains. You're the best actor!

4. [+2,647, -105] Ryu Junyeol, you are the best thing about Reply

5. [+1,020, -46] Junghwan fulfilled his hyung's dream, gave up his first love for his friend, and sacrificed his youth for the nation ㅠㅠ I sympathized with him these past few weeks. He's so kind to take care of Sunwoo in the last episode ㅠㅠㅠㅠ He's the best male lead ever ㅠㅠ Ryu Junyeol brought life to Junghwan

Some Reply88 actors/actresses may get their happy ending in the drama. But Kim Jung Hwan a.k.a Ryu Junyeol gets the best happy ending in real life hahaha.....❤❤❤  

• Like 10

I don't know what should I do to get rid of this pain after seeing uri jungparaa in the last eps. My heart still hurts, I feel betrayed and wronged. This doesn't seem right, can we have another ending with junghwan as the husband PD-nim? Please, and if they actually had filmed the ending with junghwan as the husband, can you air them on youtube at least? AHHHH I'm going crazy, Ryu Junyeol wins everybody's heart indeed!

• Like 5

Everyone should go to the RJY's thread...let's keep posting things there...is sad to think this thread is gonna die (end of the ship..end of the drama) but I still need everyone's post to keep me alive :( 

Maybe our JH didn't get the girl ... but I know the majority here is a fan of RJY and I still can let him go... (not that he's going...he's a real life person duhh hahahaha)  but seeing him gives me comfort for JH... It takes time for me to have closure with a character (when there's no more story to it) so everytime I see RJY ..I feel my heart beating like when l was waiting for JH to appear in our screen in the next episode (aww is sad to say that...no more "next week") 

GROUP HUG!

• Like 6

I wrote an alternate ending. :)

it's called love in the air, haha get it?

it's basically a scene of our fave pilot and stewardess set in the sky, where i imagine junghwan actually being straightforward for once

also i tried to write in some closure

title: love in the air

excerpt: 

At 36,000 feet, there were no yellow lights. There was only an endless obstacle course of winds and clouds, one that Junghwan had mastered long ago. After all, everyday for the past six years, he had climbed into a jet and ripped through the sky.

But this Sunday was different. The cockpit sat two, not one.

http://andbackspace.tumblr.com/post/137465334149/love-in-the-air-junghwandeoksun

• Like 8

I admit to watching ep20 with a heavy heart yesterday. And I'm glad to write here that my love for the story remains the same.

I've always been a firm JH supporter right from ep 1. When they showed the scene of JH's smirking smile at DS on TV. I'll be honest and say that it has been difficult for me to let the story development sink in since ep 19 and it's largely because of attachment to the wonderfully written (and acted) character Kim Jung Hwan. 

Despite the ending couple not being the couple I wish for, despite JH not getting the closure we all wanted so much for, despite many loopholes we did not get answers for in the last ep, I'm writing this because I still want to thank the writer and the team for giving us a memorable Answer Me 1988.

After rewatching ep 19 and 20, and reading many comments on Naver, TVN board, DC Gall and the recent recap on Dramabeans site, I finally came to an end about this overwhelming sense of bittersweet sadness I've been feeling after watching the ending epilogue.

If we go back to the family theme of this series, I believe the writer has fulfilled what she promised. 

She has created a neighborhood full of loving characters whom we love. Families we all feel like our own. Mums who never fail to stop worrying over their kids just like our own. Dads who made us cry over their silent suffering like our own. Siblings who fight and love just as strongly as our own. Husbands and wives who prove screaming and nagging are just another form of love like ours in marriages. First loves who's heartbreak aches just as much as our past loves. Characters whom we felt like old friends. Friendship forming and fading, so we know how precious relationships are. 

And the youth we know we can never go back again.

In the ending scene when DS was asking the gang why are they here, and JH simply answered "What do you mean why are we here? Where would we have gone?”, i really teared up at the meaning of this simple conversation. That our youth, those days we remember fondly. Those times that felt so faraway and those things that we can no longer find in reality, are simply more beautiful because they are remembered as part of our memory, that we have lived and loved once.

Looking at the current landscape of Korean dramas, when would we ever have such a poignant story written again? A story about times when things were simpler. A story that talks deeply about the love and ties of family, friends, siblings, husbands and wives. When i wonder that, I begin to believe that Answer Me 1988 is and will always be a gem in Kdrama history. A story that dares to move the central love to the backseat and spend time telling stories honoring our fabulous mums and dads.

That's not to say this drama is without its flaws. Plenty it has, but I think the flaws do not take away the meaningful messages this series has tried hard to relay. Like many frustrations I've seen, the husband hunt story and choosing not to focus on DS's inner thoughts was what I felt a key barrier from keeping the story flowing. Nearing the end, I was contented to see DS happy and enjoying a cute romance with Taek but at the same time sad that I stopped feeling invested enough to feel the happiness her character was feeling. 

Of course we could say the writer could have done much more in the last 2 eps. They could have given us a perfect happy ending with the whole gang turning up and hanging out like old times in 2016. They could have given us a proper closure for JH and clear up the disjointed hints scattered in the past eps. But in my opinion, it was probably an intentional buildup the writer wanted.

Like the broken, abandoned Ssangmun-dong we see, things don't stay the same forever no matter how much we wish for forever. Like the friendship we yearn to protect forever, things often don't work out the same way and relationships fade.

So i finally figured out the why behind my bittersweet sadness. Maybe the ending was just a little too true to reality that my heart was refusing to accept the sad truth. That I was not ready to answer their call for my 1988, my days of youth.

This series will stay on the list as one of my favs. Because no matter its flaws, it has given me a good nostalgic dose of heartwarming happiness, bad sobbing, heartbreaks, frustrations and many more ups and downs in emotions through Ssangmun-dong and its 5 families. And just for that, I really thank the writer, PD and the whole cast and production team for coming together to make 1988 memorable for us.

• Like 17

Ryu Jun-yeol shared in V-app streaming that the whole atmosphere was very down during JH's confession scene in ep 18. He's not the kind who would spend a lot of time reading the script many times but for this important scene, he memorised the lines and went into filming.. Hyeri couldn't stop crying and they had to pause filming even and wait for her to calm down before they start filming again.

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, ic3chubb3 said:

Ryu Jun-yeol shared in V-app streaming that the whole atmosphere was very down during JH's confession scene in ep 18. He's not the kind who would spend a lot of time reading the script many times but for this important scene, he memorised the lines and went into filming.. Hyeri couldn't stop crying and they had to pause filming even and wait for her to calm down before they start filming again.

</3 Sobs some more. I hope we get to see the BTS of it. I know I wouldn't be able to watch the Vapp w/o bitterness left. Maybe Hyeri lost her Deok Sun spark in 1994 scenes because she herself can't believe how the story went. But anyhow, I look forward more about the vapp broadcast getting subbed by eyesonryu than ep. 19-20 on Tuesday. Heh.

• Like 9

RJY also said that if it were up to him, he wouldn't let Deok Sun go. Then said, you hear that Deok Sun! haha. He said that he was hoping that Jung Hwan and Deok Sun would finally get together in Episode 18. sigh. He also said that Jung Hwan should have asked her out in Ep. 3, in the wall scene.

• Like 10

Ok, I have had enough sleep and my stomach has been fed. I'm human again, haha. These two weeks has been a crazy rollercoaster ride, but thank God I have you guys to share my thoughts and find comfort. This place is my sanctuary *send virtual hugs*

As I said before, what breaks my heart the most is that in the end JH is gone with the wind. Lol at the phrase I use. And no this is not the first time I watched a character gets brokenhearted for unrecruited love. I also fully understand that no one can be happy all the time. Even the ones who get their finale episode's happy ending went through hardship along the way. But looking back, what's different is those characters (usually second lead or part of triangular / rectangular love) let their loved one go AFTER they bare their soul, declaring their love sincerely. After that they let the other party decide. When they see with their own eyes that the heart will not turn their way, because they love so deeply that they only want their loved one to be where they belong, they bid their goodbye to that love by confronting the dear person, "Go. Go to him/her. Be happy. I'm happy I have met you and loved you." Then they may cry, but the matter has been resolved by both of them *OMG I can't. Tears swelling I again* Just take a look at Pinocchio, My Girlfriend is Gumiho (one of the saddest after-farewell scene), Marry stay out all night, Gu Family Book (lots of broken heart!), School 2015, even the Captain (i forgot his name) in Pirates of Carribean when he realized Elizabeth only loved Will Turner.

But not JH. JH is portrayed in such tragic manner, but stays as the kindhearted and selfless character he is until the last episode, and in the end he is nowhere to be seen. My heart is shattered. Life is hard as it is, but I hold on to the hope that the writer still has some consideration. But no, it didn't show. And using DR's own line: where are you dongryong? Can you hear me? Are you dead or are you alive?

My, now I'm back to ranting about JH again *facepalm* 

• Like 8

Hello everyone! First time posting here, i am a huge fan of the reply series and a shipper of JH-DS. Have been a silent reader for a while, but itching to gives my two cents here.

As much as my sadness on getting my ship sunk, I can't really hate the writer because
1. Introducing me to Junghwan, the best of the best character, among all the best characters in reply 1988.
2. Warning me about the upcoming heartbroken for this ship. And not giving me adult Junghwan.

Actually the one whose casting news comes out first is always the lead. PBG name comes right after hyeri casting news, so I think, yeah he might be the husband.
The first two episode kinda fooled me, but then they give us the whole Taek flashback, just like oppa flashback in 1994.  They give Taek a lot of backstory, other than his love story with Deoksun, just like a typical male lead would be. The moment he give a call to Deoksun at the end of episode 6, I get the same feeling I get when chilbong and 1997's oppa are meant to not get the girl. Adding salt to the wound, the smoking scene of future husband and the prediction by fortuneteller abt Junghwan will do well on his own saddens me. Since I can't really guess about the doll, I was convinced that Junghwan was green, yet the official merchandise tell otherwise. There's just a lot of stories other than Junghwan's that I forgot as soon as the realization hits.

But rewatching the first 18 episode makes me remember all the amazing things in this drama that I momentarily forgot. Soon I got annoyed by some TeamJunghwan who blame the writer, the character, and the actors just by doing their job. I know that we needed our time to grief and cry some more, but posting hate comments everywhere doesn't help. It will only makes us look immature.

I choose to believe that Junghwan got married well with a girl who knows everything he did behind the scene for his love, with another awesome actor playing him as an adult. Can't really imagine one though. Any suggestion

Maybe, just maybe, someone who is fated to be Jh's other half would be someone who falls for him first. A woman who earnestly care for him, is not hesitant to say she has fallen for him, and explicitly fight for his heart, giving new colors in his life. Someone who would sincerely say "thank you for what you have done for me". Maybe then he will realize that such a precious person has opened his heart. He can give love as his kind heart always told him to, but he also gets the love he deserves. I'd love to see who loves JH the most, that kind of woman or JB oppa. Oyeaah :)

Finally, despite this heartbreak, I will cherish the story of ssangmundong's 5 families as they have made me laugh and cry watching their unconditional love.

Sung family. Sung appa for his ultimate dedication and being a big shady tree for his family. He also showed me the option to help others even when we can choose to be selfish because of our own poor condition. Sung omma for her patience and unparalleled love and care. I cried so hard when she shielded bora from the cops and told them every single good quality in her daughter. Sung siblings for their messy bickering but cherishing each other through thick and thin. For giving their dad a best father award when he retires (that scene had me bawling). Bora, the first born who cherishes her family the most, who feels sorry that she had to burden them by taking law test. Bora who can finally say she loves her dad and wants to be dad's daughter again even in another lifetime. Maknae Neoul, dad's beloved son with beautiful voice. Who always becomes victim of his noona's hitting but is so keen on who they might be dating. Deoksun the sensible, kind, and cheerful child, the apple to her parents' eyes. The only one who responds willingly to kim sajang's greeting and actually considers it fun. Also props to her for helping a classmate with epilepsy. Her relationship with friends man ok and ja hyun also reminds me of good old school days. Sung family is love.

Kim family. Kim sajangnim who keeps his smile and gigs throughout all hardships, who saw the gem that Cheetah omma is, who encourages JB to grow up to be a fine man even if he couldn't go to college. Kim omma, cheetah ra miran, the lady with strongest heart and yet no one can love Kim family members more than her. A mother who has complete trust in JH and hopes for JB to have a better future by going to college. This series will not be the same without cheetah omma. JH, I'm out of words. We all know how precious he is. JB oppa, the gentleman who is always sincere and polite, a smart person in his own way. I will always cherish how he called JH "uri dongsaeng" and "dongsaeng-ah". Kim family jjang!

Sunwoo's family. Sun Young omma, the dedicated mother that gives her everything for her children. I believe sunwoo and jinjoo grow up well because they feel her love. Sunwoo, who wouldn't be touched by this filial child and oppa. The scene where SW showed her mom that he got full scholarship for college had me sobbing. Jinjoo the doll, she brings joy to her family. How lucky of her to have two wonderful brothers!

Choi appa, the selfless father, best dad that taek can ever ask for. A dad who can't say "saranghae" to taek but when he does, it's enough to make taek cry. I clenched my fists when he broke taek's locker with his bare hand. He can become superman if it's for his child. So happy choi appa and sunyoung omma have each other. He also raised jinjoo well, having talks with her about practically everything including Minky Momo. Taek, I will remember him as a child who genuinely wishes for his dad's happiness. "I want you to eat warm meal even when I'm not home", and how he told SW that he was thankful for SW's omma. That's enough to warm our hearts.

Ryu family. Dongryong's dad and his maknae son alike are my source of laughter. Appa's impromptu dance show is always fun to watch. We know he cares earnestly for his son's future even though he always scolds DR. DR's mom, a mother who can make DR smile from ear to ear just by making him seaweed soup. A mother who has to work, but finally DR realized that it's all for her children. DR, a child who holds his own ground. He was so cute when he said "II don't hate my mom" while grinning. dongryong-ah, where are you now T.T

This is my closure to this series. It had me smiling, laughing, crying, and reflecting on my own life through the story. It has a great line of OST. I guess we can only wait for miracle if we want to know the whereabout of JH's ring, who jinjoo married, what DR becomes, and many other unanswered questions that are left in the dark. But these 5 families (eventually becomes 4 because choi apa and sunyoung omma married each other) have worked hard and lived with love. Their messages come across, and I don't regret watching this drama until the end. Let's live our live to the fullest, guys. Haengbokhaseyo (please be happy). Thank you for this journey :) 

Edited by iloveenglishsubs
  • Like 4

Sorry if i still bother you, but i need to make a final comment..

After finishing the show, i was speechless, then angry. I was not mad because JH wasn't the husband, but because after having suffered with him we didn't get the chance to give him a last goodbye. I felt cheated because it is like someone said to me "watch this, it is a beautiful comedy" but in the end it is a tragedy. this happened to me with the film Remember Me, it was a trauma.

I admit that i was a little blind with the hints.. But if i have to watch again R88, i will still root for JH (i'm sorry but i didn't feel chemistry between DS and T).

One of the things i love/ed of the Reply series was that the "bad timing" doesn't matter because fate will be there for you.. i'm an hopeless romantic. The failed first love was written beautifully, but for me it was a shock, literally.. But now i think this was the purpose of the writer, maybe they didn't expect that JH would be so loved.

Overall, i think they did a good job, but when it comes to the triangle i feel that it would be better if they didn't drag so much.. The ending for me was a little rushed.. If they expained why the story was told by JH point of view, i would have suffered a little less.. I didn't like that they didn't explain why they were interviewed and that a family-frienship oriented drama ends with no family or friends..

• Like 5