[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

25 minutes ago, akiremom_haejinpark said:

Is it true that RJY still wants to work with Hyeri in his future project? Saw his interview on entertainment weekly. Seems like he couldnt get over from his heartbreak in R88.... I was totally shipping this two...until the writernim ruined everything. Sorry for the late reaction. Still cant get over about R88 ending. 

Yes, he said that on entertainment weekly. It's never too late. I also couldn't get over it. Did you read the fanfic by b020(not the 1 about their first nighy)? I felt much better after reading it. Still can't get over the real ending but makes me feel much better.

• Like 6

Hello guys! I can't believe i found this topic so late.I am trying to keep up now with the thousands of messages:)

I am a big fan of reply1988 and i was shipping those two together.. I got so heartbroken, i can't even describe it! i still can't get over it.. Jung hwan!!! first time i got so invested in a kdrama ship..

My thoughts about this is that the writer made a big mistake cause she wanted to be authentic and refreshing and she gave the unexpected happy ending to the second male lead. But all this time she made us believe in jung hwan's love and she was building their relationship up so the ending seems unatural, unfair and like something is missing! i don't think taek is bad but this is just so wrong!

Anyway, because it happens to be my favorite series i really wish i will be able to watch it again in the future without pain and regrets.. but now i just can't..

NICE TO FIND YOU ALL ^_^

Edited by fenia2
  • Like 17

Oppa update his IG!! 

so is that robot sorry movie poster? 

uri translatornim, pls translate what oppa said kkkk~

note: ooopsss sorry! i think i post in wrong thread! KKKKKK~ 

Edited by cheetah_omma
additional note
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

Yes, he said that on entertainment weekly. It's never too late. I also couldn't get over it. Did you read the fanfic by b020(not the 1 about their first nighy)? I felt much better after reading it. Still can't get over the real ending but makes me feel much better.

In what page can I find the fanfic by b020? I already read the first night :)

On 16/1/2016 at 5:01 PM, colormejoyous said:

I'm still dumb founded. From the beginning, it was all about Jung hwan, and in the end, they don't even properly show him. What was really the point of this end? isn't the show supposed to leave the viewers happily, then what is this bitter and unpleasant feeling it's leaving us with. If the show is trying to show reality somehow, they have miserably failed! And If I wanted to see real life failed love stories I would just look around me, I don't need a tv show to teach me a lesson about richard simmons fate and timing and richard simmons unrequited love! What we wanted from you show was nostalgia and a proper rational ending, whereafter we would have happily signed off the show And gone off with our lives, not this half- baked irrational cr*p that we got. I just. ...... am never watching if they make another reply again, I can't take being whip lashed on writer's drunken whims. I just can't. 

so well said 

Edited by fenia2
  • Like 5

On 5/2/2016 at 8:44 AM, lc85 said:

This.."That's exhausting." I so agree. I didn't get that DS was in love with Taek - in a romantic way at all. She wanted to be needed. And I think Taek knew that. Something about him (his character, not PBG - because he's adorable!!) is dark and calculating, maybe even manipulative. After all, he is a Baduk player. He knew the right timing and the right moves to make. Nothing about that screams innocent and pure love to me. He made calculated risks and got what he wanted. DS and the whole neighborhood got played. We all got played. And that darned writer made it happen.

I'm not sure I want to marry someone who knows me so well that spontaneity, excitement, newness and the passion that comes with all of that get chucked out the window. I like that my husband does not know everything about me. It's exhilarating when he figures how to work his way around my quirky ways - even after so many years together. 

Junghwan's plight in love is relatable to most - he struggled with timing, he didn't know the right thing to do all the time, he was unsure. That's how most people are with their first crush, first love. Biologically (lol @naruto89 study for your MCAT. That beast of a test is like 8 hrs long! Sending you my good wishes) speaking, hormones may rewire the brain when one is "in love" and perhaps make one lose all sorts of logic. It makes perfect sense that JH behaved the way that he did (remember the scene when the "uninvited guest" showed up spontaneously during the tight alley way scene with DS and JH?) Blame hormones and  biology (ok, A&P too).

Taek's brain is tightly wound up that it's resistant to hormones (haha). That brain exerciser baduk made it that way. It would be very difficult to live with someone's tightly wound up brain. That's probably why he smokes and takes sleeping pills (to relax). In the R88 world, I think he will have those habits forever. And DS signed up for it. 

And to think that she could have been with that hot guy in his Air Force uniform - omg, JH in that uniform was unforgettable! Told my hubby - come Halloween next year, he'll be wearing a similar uniform - :D

I like your thinking, interesting.

You find Taek calculating but what about Deok Sun? She never said whom she really wants! She was just waiting for someone to take her home, she seemed to crush on everybody and she only expressed her desire to be wanted..

I was believing till the end that she would find the will and claim Junghwan for once.. I haven't ever seen her response to his confenssion..

Actually after the 19 episode i was assuming that the end will be Deoksun getting mature and asking Junghwan out.. i was really shocked by the unexpecting ending and the timing reason is not strong for me. Why exactly junghwan is late, if she ever loved him she could wait or ask for him! 

Edited by fenia2
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

I really hope that they will work together again. They really have good chemistry together :heart:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fenia2 said:

I like your thinking, interesting.

You find Taek calculating but what about Deok Sun? She never said whom she really wants! She was just waiting for someone to take her home, she seemed to crush on everybody and she only expressed her desire to be wanted..

I was believing till the end that she would find the will and claim Junghwan for once.. I haven't ever seen her response to his confenssion..

Actually after the 19 episode i was assuming that the end will be Deoksun getting mature and asking Junghwan out.. i was really shocked by the unexpecting ending and the timing reason is not strong for me. Why exactly junghwan is late, if she ever loved him she could wait or ask for him! 

She wants to be desired and needed. I guess being a middle child plays into the role as well wherein she doesn't get enough attention from her parents and she always have this longing to be loved by someone else. And after her heart getting broken by SW she's afraid that it will happen again? they could also make it like DS dated TK for a while and realized that her feelings of affection for TK is not actually love but platonic and they'll break up and she'll pursue JH remembering that confession that he did years ago. I mean it's rare to marry your first boyfriend really. I don't know if I'm making sense but I hope I am lol! 

• Like 7

It's just so difficult for me to imagine that DS and TK have a satisfying, happy marriage. I don't hate TK. How can anyone hate him? He's adorable but he is just not the perfect fit. He needs someone older than him, more motherly and DS is still very childish. And yes, she does take care of TK but she also likes to have fun and not just stare at baduk all day.

• Like 7

Replay Reply 1988 #4, Brothers

"Hyung's dream is to be Maradona. I made a promise for hyung. I told him I would become Maradona in his place. From now on I would work harder on soccer."

"Junghwan-ah, hyung don't like it if you go to air force academy because of me. For my dongsaeng, I would like it if you can do what you really want to do. That is hyung's wish".

Seriously, these two... :")  *recalls JB calling JH "saranghaneun dongsaeng-ah..."

BGM: Travel sketch - A Star is Falling/Falling Star. This song is really good :)

Live ver and a remake:

Spoiler

Live ver

Remake by Sung Sikyung

I guess i just can't enough of JH's love for his hyung and vice versa. Mhihihi

• Like 12

@fenia2 "You find Taek calculating but what about Deok Sun?" Good question and I agree with your thoughts as well as @harukajane with DS being the middle child and how she was portrayed in R88. 

It is very interesting how both JH and Taek made confessions and stated (verbally) how they felt (even though JH's beautiful confession was made into a joke) at one point or another in various episodes. What about Deoksun? She was silenced. We will never hear what she really felt, what she decided in her own words - not a voice-over- but her face to face confession to Taek about why she loves him and to JungHwan about how it can never work out between them. 

R88 is from Deoksun's pov? Because she's doing the voice over? I say, bs. This is the writer's pov. I saw that DS was outspoken, friendly, a typical 18 year old. She listened to her friends' chatter and pursued the boy who "liked" her. In the end, the writer suppressed DS's character growth and development because DS turned to Taek, not because she saw him differently for the first time (yeah, I don't buy this - not for a hot second), but at the urging of her flight attendant pal. She was the same 18 year old girl. After all the years of living away from the neighborhood, she was not shown as someone that gained perspective. She changed her hairstyle and wore grown-up clothes. This is quite disappointing from a viewer's pov. 

I ship JH and DS because of Eps 1-18, when I still believed that the writer had something to show about how these two matured into adults and found their way back to each other. That's still the ending for me.

• Like 14

36 minutes ago, lc85 said:

@fenia2 "You find Taek calculating but what about Deok Sun?" Good question and I agree with your thoughts as well as @harukajane with DS being the middle child and how she was portrayed in R88. 

It is very interesting how both JH and Taek made confessions and stated (verbally) how they felt (even though JH's beautiful confession was made into a joke) at one point or another in various episodes. What about Deoksun? She was silenced. We will never hear what she really felt, what she decided in her own words - not a voice-over- but her face to face confession to Taek about why she loves him and to JungHwan about how it can never work out between them. 

R88 is from Deoksun's pov? Because she's doing the voice over? I say, bs. This is the writer's pov. I saw that DS was outspoken, friendly, a typical 18 year old. She listened to her friends' chatter and pursued the boy who "liked" her. In the end, the writer suppressed DS's character growth and development because DS turned to Taek, not because she saw him differently for the first time (yeah, I don't buy this - not for a hot second), but at the urging of her flight attendant pal. She was the same 18 year old girl. After all the years of living away from the neighborhood, she was not shown as someone that gained perspective. She changed her hairstyle and wore grown-up clothes. This is quite disappointing from a viewer's pov. 

I ship JH and DS because of Eps 1-18, when I still believed that the writer had something to show about how these two matured into adults and found their way back to each other. That's still the ending for me.

Yes, yes, yes!  I agree with all of you - I was so disheartened, disappointed, and bitter with the ending we got and the characters we grew to love were shafted not only in romance, but attention and character growth.  I can not tell you how bitter I was that the writer took DS's voice and choice away from her.  We never got to see her make a choice at all!!!!  She ends up with character that she will have to take care of for the rest of her life!  

Everything you said is exactly why I wrote my fanfiction the way I did - it was born out of my bitterness and frustration of E19-20.

• Like 21

23 hours ago, debieg said:

@iloveenglishsub hehehe forget to thank you in my previous post. Chingu THANK YOU *virtual kisses * B) 

@fnkrm than you for backing me up. :) 

@MrsSoJiSub for always showing you're love to the KIM brothers.. :heart:  (THANKS )

@emy_rose don't make me cry...  :bawling: :blush:

AIGOOOOO DEBIEG NIM!!! SARANGHAE! :heart:

My hearteu. My hearteu. 

Let me share with you my raisins. :P

19 hours ago, lc85 said:

Quoting PBG as posted by @wizengamot "There wasn't anything lovey dovey between Deoksun and me." Truer words were never spoken.

What is there to gain, writernim, by doing what you did? You flipped the script. Just 'fess up. We all make mistakes. 

@binnielover The first sentence on your most recent post - yes! JH is a keeper. That writer kept him away from DS. :( To keep him for herself :w00t: Just kidding everyone. Ahh my "beef" with this writer seems endless at the moment.

Probably... She saw how perfect JH is and got really jealous of DS for (almost) having a great guy. 

5 hours ago, harukajane said:

It's just so difficult for me to imagine that DS and TK have a satisfying, happy marriage. I don't hate TK. How can anyone hate him? He's adorable but he is just not the perfect fit. He needs someone older than him, more motherly and DS is still very childish. And yes, she does take care of TK but she also likes to have fun and not just stare at baduk all day.

I feel you chingu. I really do. 

I don't hate Taek but I just can't see him as the hubby no matter how much I tried. 

• Like 15

Thank you @b020 for the fanfiction. I was a silent lurker here while the series was airing so I'm sure my comments only echo what many of you here already said in previous pages. While the eps were airing, I stopped watching altogether after ep 14. I restarted watching again after the series ended - only to be disappointed by the ending for JH and DS. So the pain is still new to me and a few others here - still going through the stages of grief :(:tears:

Yes - she took away her voice and choice. It's 2016 - what is the message here? Ok, ok- I'm getting the anger part of grieving get the better of me.;)

• Like 11