[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

Good news guys! I feel way better after going out for a much needed walk and of course with the positive vibes in here.

1. As @papulichan previously mentioned(with clues), I too think that DS liked JH all through her childhood. Borrowing that manhwa, chocolate scene are somehow tied with JH. I can't tell you how many times I watched that Chocolate scene but I just couldn't see any definitive way she could have put that chocolate in JHs bag...perhaps it wasn't visible to us viewers. Having said that, I still believe the Chocolate was for JH. Hopefully we will get some clarification on that.

2. Because JH and DS always bickered like Tom and Jerry and the fact that she was young she didn't consider her feelings of affections for him as romantic. She loved him, she always did...cared for him more than any other friend and I think this because remember when her friends told her SW likes her her reaction to that and her reaction to JH possibly liking her was SO DIFFERENT. She asked her friends what she should do if JH liked her back because she liked the idea but was scared.

NEGATIVITY:

NOW, question is...has she held on to those feelings? Has she been waiting for him? Or did Taek with his apparent impeccable timing win again? During the confession with her smile and everything it certainly felt like she was touched and reminiscing all those beautiful moments :tears: BUT WAS THE CONFESSION TOO LATE? The POV could show us that she loved JH and then also how she moved on??? And another HORRIFIC THOUGHT occurred to me if TKxDS get married...perhaps the writer to satisfy JH shippers may decide to make DSx Tk daughter HYeri and JHs son RJY a couple? Remember the film THE CLASSIC (I loved that film though)? 

I am writing this horrendous idea because just in case ...just in case...the writers linger around our thread may read this and decide not to go ahead with this horror. Because really it's not RJYx HYeri that we particularly ship (well some may) but it's JH x DS that we want in the end!

Ugh

POSITIVITY:

DS could have been restless during the whole restaurant/DOOR/ confession scenario because she was waiting on some sort of news with regards to her Dad? Throughout the ep it seemed like her dad wasn't doing particularly well right? 

Also, I like the idea of another time jump to 1997 ..maybe during those years JH dated?

I also like the idea of that plan crash thing and DS running into JHz arms :wub:...(I leave the rest to ur imagination). That reminds me @hailaft I love your fanfic and @MrsSoJiSub your imagination is extraordinary. Always manages to make me laugh.

TBH I am afraid to think anything positive just because feel like I will JINX it all.

Touch wood? Lols

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Eessttaa said:

Anyone know if taek read manhwa too? I can't recall it *maybe I too focus on JH. JH read comic several times tho.

future DS said to husband not to read manhwa right?anyone trans this?

I dont believe i have seen Taek reading manhwa? He's always reading his Baduk notes/books. 

13 minutes ago, ajnu said:

I have a question from this pic

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=reply1988&no=583763&page=

Someone please clarify me and give the proper reason. I don't understand her expression and

this make me fear.

The poster is just using these photos to explain the reason for Taek and DS to love. I dont think this can serve as conclusive evidence that DS likes Taek romantically though.

• Like 5

Guest wizengamot
13 minutes ago, Eessttaa said:

Anyone know if taek read manhwa too? I can't recall it *maybe I too focus on JH. JH read comic several times tho.

All 4 boys read, i'm just not sure if it's manhwa. there are scenes with DR reading magazine, SW reading books i'm not sure if he reads comics too, JH definitely reads comics. there's a scene where he was reading dragon ball. As for TK, i'm not sure. Haven't seen him read it actually because he's almost always just sleeping or practicing baduk when he's at home. There's a scene in ep 2 where DS asked him to borrow comics and then there's also comics on his room so we can't tell.

@papulichan thanks hahaha!!! i thought i was being random.

so guys are you telling me, we're never gonna get out of that "Popular Now" box and "Hot Topics" box? and that you all are planning to hit 500 before the finale airs?

page 1 = Nov 12, 2015

page 100 = (after 1 month and 1eek) Dec 19, 2015

page 200 = (after 11 days) Dec 30, 2015

page 300 = (after 9 days) Jan 8, 2016

page 400 = (within 1 day) Jan 9, 2016

DAEBAK!!!

16 minutes ago, Eessttaa said:

I really hate to admit this, but I remember one scene where he read manhwa before he slept (actually the scene didnt show him reading it) and that's during the ending of ep 16 when he was lying on the hotel bed after he cried and ate so many medicines. The manhwa was left open beside his head. 

But either way, JH is the true manhwa lover here, IMO TK only reads it when he wants to do something else other than baduk. 

#eonamryu

Edited by namunamuyeppeo
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, Eessttaa said:

@wizengamot @carolinedl I started thinking, well why didn't any of these three idiots, especially the next door neighbors set time aside to talk and confess and such. like miss a practice, find sometime to talk, but then again the same can be said for junghwan so yeah screw all three of them LOL.

Throughout the series we have seen Junghwan reading comics many times. His favorite often read ones is Dragon Ball Z (which my oppa-ya also loved to read). Also I believe in ep 17 we see him going to return comic late at night and his mom "mom" him and tell him to be careful on his walk home. As for Taek I legit can't remember seeing him reading a comics. However we have seen Deok Sun ask him to get her comics, and we've also seen Deok Sun sitting his room reading comics. He also has comic books in his room.

But if we are looking for these types of clues here are my reassurances. The feather falling into Junghwan's room, the kdrama slowmo of fate (every time two people pass by one another in that manner they shall finally meet or meet again and are tied to one another in one way or another), the fact that Junghwan made it to the concert but not quick enough and he got to see Taek get there just right before him, the cat dog painting sitting behind adult deok sun as she answers some interview questions, and the confession. Oh the green and yellow gum package she puts on her table, and the return of the dolls. they looked like this  blue.....yellow...green (someone take a closer look) but for the brief second I saw it green and yellow while distant still looked a bit closer than blue, yellow but maybe my eyes are biased so I don't know.

ETA: the cassette tape that Deok Sun plays in the car is yellow.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, GD-ssi said:

can i ask something guys? soem of you mention about slowmo fate. what's that mean ? i dont watch ep 18 yet. because i decided to not watch it till the last episode :') 

thanks for answering

idk what do you mean by slowmo fate.

what i can see and its like JH narration about timing and fate.

tumblr_o0pzy85KDr1v0c5uoo2_r1_1280.png

he regrets that he didnt confess to DS for long time ago when he had many chance to do it.

he finally learned his lesson about making your own damn fate, because screw timing and coincidence—you make that fate yourself with every choice, and hesitation and inaction are choices too. That’s a really important thing for Jung-hwan to learn as he finally grows up, even if he learns it in the most painful way possible. - Dramabeans

And good for you that you can hold urself not to watch until the final eps aired. Or ur health will be a mess :bawling:

i lost my appetite, and i feel so dizzy this whole day! The same symptoms when got a heartbroken :heartbreak:

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, Eessttaa said:

TK does read manhwa. If I'm not mistaken he even lend his to DS in one of the earlier episodes.

Best of luck to us all.. lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, namunamuyeppeo said:

I really hate to admit this, but I remember one scene where he read manhwa, and that's during the ending of ep 16 when he was lying on the hotel bed after he cried and ate so many medicines. The manhwa was left open beside his head. 

But either way, JH is the true manhwa lover here, IMO TK only reads it when he wants to do something else other than baduk. 

#eonamryu

i rechecked and it's not manhwa! i think it's yet another baduk book, because i see images of people bending over a board (presumably a baduk board).

CYXZ2mCUAAAtQMA.jpg

i like that little clues like this point to jungpal as the husband, but even if it didn't... the way the whole story's been shown so far tips the scales towards him.

• Like 18

30 minutes ago, parkangel said:

Don't worry, JH is behind her too. She's happy because they are going together to a concert as a group. I think that's the message of that scene. If I am not mistaken, the group outing was the last outing that they did together as teenager.

i hope this true;-;

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cheetah_omma said:

idk what do you mean by slowmo fate.

what i can see and its like JH narration about timing and fate.

tumblr_o0pzy85KDr1v0c5uoo2_r1_1280.png

he regrets that he didnt confess to DS for long time ago when he had many chance to do it.

he finally learned his lesson about making your own damn fate, because screw timing and coincidence—you make that fate yourself with every choice, and hesitation and inaction are choices too. That’s a really important thing for Jung-hwan to learn as he finally grows up, even if he learns it in the most painful way possible. - Dramabeans

And good for you that you can hold urself not to watch until the final eps aired. Or ur health will be a mess :bawling:

i lost my appetite, and i feel so dizzy this whole day! The same symptoms when got a heartbroken :heartbreak:

Sorry. I used/use that term. In every kdrama ever. When two people have some sort of destined to be or detined to meet fate. When they pass by each other, the scene slows down and we see them sllllooooowwwwllllyyy pass one another in like 3000 different takes just to drive home the point. You see the slowmo of fate when Junghwan is driving his car and Deok Sun is walking somewhere. He's looking ahead to where he's driving, she's checking the time on her watch and as they pass but do not see one another, it slooowwwssss down. That scene can be found at least once in any and all dramas especially weekend family dramas, daily dramas, and dramatic drama dramas. 

• Like 17

27 minutes ago, GD-ssi said:

can i ask something guys? some of you mention about slowmo fate. what's that mean ? i dont watch ep 18 yet. because i decided to not watch it till the last episode :') 

thanks for answering

There's this scene where DS and JH left the house almost at the same time, but went to different direction. But somehow they met in front of an alley but lo and behold, DS was too occupied with her watch and JH with his manly driving so they missed seeing each other. FUNNY THING IS, Pd-nim decided to make the missing each other scene in a slow motion to emphasize... to emphasize.. huh richard simmons this richard simmons so called bad timing. 

• Like 12

I was watching ep17 again and I noticed the way cheetah omma shows the cover of JH's diary. I swear the way it's shown is worse than product placement (minute 33:40) . But I don't understand why cause it looks like just a normal diary. (Rewatching without subs, me situation gets worse!)

8 minutes ago, khrnafthmh said:

i rechecked and it's not manhwa! i think it's yet another baduk book, because i see images of people bending over a board (presumably a baduk board).

i like that little clues like this point to jungpal as the husband, but even if it didn't... the way the whole story's been shown so far tips the scales towards him.

it does look like two people playing something on this board!! I though it was a manhwa too at first glance. But at closer look not anymore!!! You have hawk eyes :w00t: I think the writer had purposely placed that book there to fool all of us as it looks like a manhwa hahaha 

Guest fleshwithoutblood

:P:PI'm going to preface this with a disclaimer that I haven't watched the past couple episodes and will likely wait until it's completed to fully delve into the rest of the episodes, mainly because of the length of each episode is too daunting and I'd rather binge-watch when I actually have more time, but I have been following along with the basic happenings and skimming re-caps. These are just some thoughts I had about this pairing and Reply in general.

This is from the pov of a rehabilitated Chilbong shipper. I learned a lot from Reply 1994. I even knew at episode 13 in R94 that it was obviously Trash, but instead I tried to convince myself based on "clues" and whatnot, but deep down I knew, and it became obvious after the haze lifted. It is still perfectly plausible that I'm wrong on this one, but I'm just explaining my opinion based on my past experience. I didn't want it to be Trash because I was hung up on the pseudo brother-sister dynamic they had going on during the first few episode (ok and Yoo Yeon Seok was pretty dreamy :P), but the narrative arc revolved pretty firmly around Najung-Trash. In the wake of that drama, I accepted that the narrative focus is the strongest indicator. The narrative focus was on Najung's feelings/love. I don't know how to explain it, but it's the lens/time devoted to *angst*/framing of the storyline. As a Chilbong shipper, I latched onto things like "It's not over, till it's over" (in retrospect, a pretty weak thing given the sentiment lol), red herrings in the future like the baseball in their house, etc. Now, I fully realize that the "clues" don't matter and are often later explained via flashbacks. I vaguely remember it being this way in R97 too. Whether this is a great way to tell a story is subjective, but it is distinctive and adds tension. In R88, there's a heavy focus on Junghwan's angst and feelings towards Deoksun, which reminds me of the lens of Yoonjae and Najung in earlier Reply dramas. Basically I realized that the Reply series IS a "typical" drama, despite the twists and turns it takes to get there. Because of those twists and the guessing game, I convinced myself that the writer wanted to surprise people with R94 and go with the unexpected, however there's a reason that the main lead is narratively the main lead - it has to make sense, even I was doubting whether a Chilbong ending would actually be satisfactory towards the later episodes. Taek has a stronger case than CB from what I've read, but imo the narrative build-up has been towards Junghwan's confession and the relationship between him and DS. Someone more familiar with film could probably explain this a lot better than me lol. (It's entirely possible that the writer has actually decided to pull a fast one at last, but judging from my past experience, I believe it's Junghwan based on the overall story arc and perspective.)

The Reply series at their base are about two people with feelings for each other that miss the timing repeatedly throughout the years, yet still manage to make it in the end. There's all that stuff about how it's really about family or the past, etc, and that is an aspect that differentiates it from other dramas, however at its core, it's about a couple that was only made possible through the passage of time. I would say it's about how timing doesn't always matter for love, that in the end they'll finally work it out, even if they missed chances along the way. The main obstacle is overcoming one stage of a relationship to transition into another (platonic to romantic), and giving up the comfort found in the platonic relationship and taking that risk. Without this, there'd be no drama. There aren't evil parents-in-laws and chaebol plots to get in the way of love in these dramas, they're simply about the obstacle of moving past friendship into the unknown. The series is literally based on so-called "noble idiocy," and truthfully, that's alright with me. I think it does it in a pretty believable way. There's no one dying of cancer and hiding it for episodes on end to save their love from the heartbreak here. It's only the trouble of giving up a meaningful relationship for the promise of a different, much riskier, one, and possibly hurting others you care about in the process. Him not confessing "properly" really means nothing to me, since it looked to me that Deoksun knew he wasn't joking. He just said that at the end to give her (and himself) an out from the awkwardness and tension in case she doesn't reciprocate, but they both know that he was sincere. He's "given up" and come to terms with it, which in my mind is the step that propels her to meet him halfway.

This is sort of related, but I really dislike the use of "x deserves/doesn't deserve y" in regards to relationships. This actually bothered me with Chilbong shippers back then tbh, but pretty much all shippers use it. Whether one's hesitant, messes up their confession, or doesn't love as deeply from an outside perspective, these things don't mean much in the way of love (particularly in dramas lol). People get love they don't deserve all the time! Haha. Anyways, I adore Deoksun and whatever happens, happens. I like the DS-JH pairing a lot because I like their dynamic and want to root for them, but if they don't end up together, then at this point, I wouldn't say it's because Junghwan doesn't "deserve" her or vice versa. No one in this drama is evil, ok maybe Bora just a tiny bit, but that's why I love her! Relationships are complicated, sometimes they work out despite missed opportunities, sometimes they don't work out at all, but hesitating to confess or trying to downplay a confession is not some huge slight - it's human (and necessary for the drama to exist).

Edited by fleshwithoutblood