[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

59 minutes ago, antiherofans said:

I am sorry, I still try to understand what are you saying (My English is not very good). Because MLSHR is air on paying TV, they have to compete with other paying channel including other korean paying channel. They also have to compete with local tv. In my country, our soap opera/tv show can go on up to 1000 episode (yes 1000) on prime time. MLSHR is on primetime slot.

But, in the end people can choose to love or hate a show based on anything.

Apologies, my fault.. i am quite clumsy to putting down my thoughts while typing.. and kind of ignore the grammar and the semantics..

Someone else earlier in the forum pointed out that 73% rating is actually quite a small base so it is not apple to apple comparison to say that smaller number of households watch/prefer ML.. Vs a large number of pop in SK is not appreciating ML as much as they should.

The comparison does not hold true because of the difference in the type of groups we are dealing with.

But , at the end of the day.. nothing matters... some make it some don't.. and core concept of marketing - Consumers are fickle ( not reliable :) )

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, AliciaA said:

Hello.. Im new in this thread.. Im no fan of any actor in this drama but a friend recommended this to me after the 50-episode drama we are following came to an end and  realized I have nothing to watch for mon & tues slot.  What i first did was read the summary of the novel Scarlet Heart to have more or less an idea about the plot Scarlet Heart is a famous chinese  novel and I got curious about how the korean version will turn out.. I was skeptical in the beginning why did they cast IU as the lead girl where she is  known more as a great singer and but  has limited acting experience as called for by the role. The only justification i saw is that the girl in the novel  is young abt 23-25 yrs old.   For me, her acting in the first 3 episodes was disgusting, ( I know more fans here will not agree but that is my opinion) . Even the story flow in the first 3 episodes are not interesting and exciting enough to draw more audience viewership and get glued in the drama . I had watched many kdramas with low ratings but with great story like MLSHR that is why i am not influenced by korean viewers ratings.  

I likewise feel sad when i read Lee Joon -gi's Singles interview but not surprised.. Most  of them, if not all,  in leading roles, takes the burden,  feel the hurt  to the point of blaming themselves if the drama's ratings are bad. They thought its their fault.. but the actors are just part of the entire ensemble.. there's the director, editor, scriptwriters, etc. So LJG, I want to let you know, this your first drama I watched and you amazed me.. You are a brilliant actor..same goes to Kang Ha Neul and the actor who played  Wang Yo. However, I want to say  some of your co-stars needs  more improvement in the acting department..

@AliciaA... Welcome chingu and looking forward to reading you POV as the drama continues 

• Like 9

you know great question.

Even i am curious about what Sk is saying about LJK.

He indeed is the singlemost most awesome factor abt this drama.. and I wonder if there are people who do find fault with his performance... i will be so curious to hear that other perspective because i can't see it at all...

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

You know what.. you should atleast create one for ML if nothing else.. for two reasons:

I was wondering to take up film making classes but for amateurs there aren't too many sites out there that detail out specifics.. plus in this case the way you have explained with pics.. it makes for such easy understanding..

Just make a blog or archive them in one place even if its only ML related stuff.. and this I am saying from perspective of all future readers..

This is such precious analysis

@enigmatic_zephy Hmm... Dokay, I will try. If I manage to sit my lazy behind down to create a blog in the next few days (since the drama is ending very soon), I will send you a link. :lol:  And slightly off-topic:

Spoiler

As for taking classes, at least in SG, there are short courses offered by polytechnics. Just a bit of formal classes go a long way in understanding the production process. But... just to warn you... it's not as exciting as it sounds. The course I took in SG was so dry that even my nerdier side was bored for the first 4 weeks. 

Not sure whether you all have seen this (I haven't cleared my backlog in reading this thread) but I just wanted to share the latest adorable fanart by Moca Gi:

I discovered her back in LJG's Scholars days and all her works on LJG are truly amazing:

Spoiler

If you haven't done so, show her some love and follow her on IG!

Edited by zi4r
grammar
  • Like 15

I also feel really sad about the rating..and feel more pain after read that article (LJG feel sad about SK rating)

At first i only watched and follow Moonlight, after 10 episodes of it, i feel so boring (sorry..this is pure my opinion) then i decided to watch SHR..and I'm IN LOVE to this drama since ep. 1 (until now)

My sister and friends also in love with SHR..when we know that moonlight is already reach final episode..no one of us care about that..we are too much to SHR. :blink:

Sorry if my word hurts moonlight fans.. this is pure my own opinion :D

Fyi..from Indonesia

Edited by Nita Fransisca
  • Like 22

9 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Apologies, my fault.. i am quite clumsy to putting down my thoughts while typing.. and kind of ignore the grammar and the semantics..

Someone else earlier in the forum pointed out that 73% rating is actually quite a small base so it is not apple to apple comparison to say that smaller number of households watch/prefer ML.. Vs a large number of pop in SK is not appreciating ML as much as they should.

The comparison does not hold true because of the difference in the type of groups we are dealing with.

But , at the end of the day.. nothing matters... some make it some don't.. and core concept of marketing - Consumers are fickle ( not reliable :) )

It is okay :), English is not my first language, that is why sometime I need to read several time before making comments.

I appreciate your input. I just fall in love with this drama so bad even though is not perfect. I even enjoy the imperfection and make the most of it. But I do feel bad for the cast tho. They tried their best.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, ruizaio said:

People who watch MLSHR praise LJG. He is simply Wang So himself. Yet in the BTS clips he easily gets in and out of his character, which earns him even more respect from the viewers. Korean fans feel thankful that he took this role and feel bad that the director had to ruin it. 

Meanwhile, antis continue to bash LJG (or any other actors, for that matter). The low ratings itself becomes a good ammo, as well as his age, the emo-ness of his character (which is really the writer's fault), use of make-up or a mask... it doesn't matter to the antis. 

On the other hand, the LJG Gallery has become really busy lately thank to a new influx of fans. 

What is wrong with his age? I am curious since I am 2 years younger than LJG :phew:

• Like 11

2 hours ago, zi4r said:

This is another action-sequence post (Shout out to @littleloony!!). Not a fight sequence this time, but you know I can't resist when the talent of an actor and editing team come together in such a brilliant fashion. Because just like the battlescene fight-sequence, this scene is done beautifully with pure physical ability of LJG and clean editing ---

The movement required here is not just spin and fall. For the fall to be effective and visually pleasing, there has to be proper gain in height; LJG has to launch himself upwards while spinning and while bearing IU's weight .

The 1st take shows off the gorgeous height and spin control in LJG's movements. 

Thanks for writing this technical post.

When I was watching it, I was very much impressed about the way LJG spinned. Yes his experience, action training and sheer action talent executed this scene well. I didnt notice about the height thing, so yes I noticed he has to leapt to HS and spin her down to the ground. *applause*

The other thing I noticed from the bts released from Namoo was that they filmed both the kiss in ep 14 and this action scene of ep 16 together. 

HS hair was restyled with a fringe to mark the passing of time.

hshair1.jpg

hshair2a.jpg

to one with a fringe

hshair2.jpg

[spoiler/]

LJG changed from his silver costume to a purple one. Because the location and time of the day is the same, the filmed both scenes together on the same day.:)

@ruizaio I double checked on the ep 16 duration. SBS one version is about 47mins, SBS Korea version is about 59mins. Wasnt able to verify the Youku version, I cant find a link with access now.

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, antiherofans said:

It is okay :), English is not my first language, that is why sometime I need to read several time before making comments.

I appreciate your input. I just fall in love with this drama so bad even though is not perfect. I even enjoy the imperfection and make the most of it. But I do feel bad for the cast tho. They tried their best.

@blue- so so so true

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, ruizaio said:

People who watch MLSHR praise LJG. He is simply Wang So himself. Yet in the BTS clips he easily gets in and out of his character, which earns him even more respect from the viewers. Korean fans feel thankful that he took this role and feel bad that the director had to ruin it. 

Meanwhile, antis continue to bash LJG (or any other actors, for that matter). The low ratings itself becomes a good ammo, as well as his age, the emo-ness of his character (which is really the writer's fault), use of make-up or a mask... it doesn't matter to the antis. 

On the other hand, the LJG Gallery has become really busy lately thank to a new influx of fans. 

Sorry for sounding like a noob. What is LJG Gallery?? How do I access that gallery?

8 minutes ago, antiherofans said:

What is wrong with his age? I am curious since I am 2 years younger than LJG :phew:

This is the part where I mentioned earlier, the youth obsession in Korea beyond that you can imagine.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, antiherofans said:

In Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, we follow MLSHR live (TVOneAsia is paying TV). But the reaction is totally different from Korea. The rating is skyrocketing up to 73%.

It's actually 73% share of the timeslot, not 73% rating. As far as I know, there are 4 korean TV channels in these 3 countries which are KBS, Oh!K TV (which airing all MBC programs), ONE TV Asia (all programs by SBS) and TVN. All are basically paid TV except KBS, which comes together in a package for free if you subscribed with the service provider. It's not exactly apple to apple comparison since KBS did not air MDBC on Monday while MLSHR being aired same time in Korea. But both airing at the same time on Tuesday, though.

Having said that, there is no denying that MLSHR is the popular one here in this region as far as Malaysia and Singapore is concerned. Not very sure about Indonesia. As far as I read, MLSHR is the no.1 most watched drama in Malaysia this year, even surpassing DOTS and Doctors. There's an article for that but I could not recall where I read it before.

I also read somewhere that those watching MLSHR in Korea mostly comprising of younger audiences with some reasoning out due to the pretty casts and idols. So, in this aspect, we get to understand why the domestic rating is abysmal since younger generation normally opt to stream online rather than watching on TV.

Also, there's some mentioning that the drama is geared towards international audiences' preference and of course China, being its main target. If those are the group that this drama is catering for, then all could be said is that the drama has succeeded in achieving its targeted goals. A big success on international platform and China itself.

I don't necessarily agree that the drama sucks for its first 3 episodes. It depends on ones preference. The domestic audiences not liking it and tossing it aside but the international audiences choose to stay, so is it reasonable that to say that those choosing to stick with the drama have lousy taste palettes? 

Plus, if you looked into this whole domestic ratings failure, has they ever been a remake of another countries' drama that is so successful and a rating success in Korea? Except for Boys Before Flower, the rest also did more or less the same as MLSHR. The Time We Were Not In Love? Fated To Love You? Nodame Cantible? The Lying Game? The Suspicious Housekeeper? Even when those dramas featuring stars like Ha Ji Won, Choi Ji Woo and Jo Won. So, do your Math and let's just accept that remakes are really bad idea in Korea.

• Like 23

i hadnt been a fan of junki untill i saw the second trailer. i was attracted by his deep voice and then his Amazing acting and personality impressed me a lot. i dont care why korean dont seem to love this drama like i do. but i totally sure that SHR this the best korean drama i have ever watched. i feel like this drama has something very different, very unique and intersting. it makes me obsessed even more than the chinese version BBJX. anyway this is entertainment industry and sometime people just dont get what they deserve despite how hard they worked ...

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, junejungki said:

Sorry for sounding like a noob. What is LJG Gallery?? How do I access that gallery?

This is the part where I mentioned earlier, the youth obsession in Korea beyond that you cant imagine.

They should try to find The Fountain of Youth with Johnny Deep (Pirates of Caribbean) :lol:

• Like 6

Since the discussion is about rating let me share my thought (coming from someone that LOVEEEE MDBC and Love SHR – LOVEEEE LJG)

SHR has long been my most awaited drama for 2016 (next to DOTS). Esp LJG, he has captured my heart since 2005 when he lose the girl to LDW in My girl … From that day onward .. He is one of the actors that I would wait for and give priority to.

I watch eps 1 and 2 with high expectation as high as mount Everest (IT’S A PRE-PRODUCED DRAMA IT HAS TO BE GOOD – that what I thought). Finally after long wait I get to see LJG (I like BBJX C version but not to the fanatic level –  I kinda forgotten some of the scene. I only remember the important scenes. I still enjoy C version though I am/was more used to K drama style I can’t appreciate C drama style (OTT acting style and the half bald prince really not a feast to the eye). I love the plot (and I no nothing about BBJX before watching – no expectation)…

The first 3 episode did not live up to my high expectation – Choppy editing and the biggest downfall is the casting – Some of the actors’ performance was below average and it affected the overall result. Most importantly they hold quite a prominent role in SHR. I cannot ignore their role (unlike some drama we can just fast forward some of the unimportant scene like when we can’t stand the acting). This totally effect my viewing pleasure.

The first 2 episodes are very crucial in any drama production because it’s the ‘first impression’ of the drama. If the first 2 episodes are not interesting enough people will lose interest. There was less of LJG appearances, more scenes were given to cast with acting below or just average level (except for KHN). Some people don’t have patience to wait. There were just too many princes introduced at one time and it’s confusing to some. I have a tough time to remember who is who.. Who is 10th, 13th and so on .. (I only remember 8 and 4 – KHN and LJG) the rest I was still in dazed trying to match the C version with K version prince – and imagine what Korean viewer would feel especially if they don’t have any clue at all.

And with very average/below average acting style, it’s sort of a chore to watch and figuring out who is who (thank god they are a feast to the eye).

The excessive usage of close up camera didn’t help at all – It magnifies every stiff/exaggerated expressions. Including IU expressions (but she improved a lot as the story progressed). I don’t blame the actors/actress – they are still young and very new to the industry. We can’t compare them to LJG or KHN but I think I understand K viewer frustration too (they have A LOTTTT OF GOOD ACTORS .. too many to choose from may be their standards are high).

The lack of LJG further intensify my frustration and Wook/Soo loveline further stretched viewer patience to the max. I like Wook but since I know wook is not the end game, I guarded my feeling however I can’t resist KHN great acting … I feel bad when his character turning to be selfish and dark. Though I prefer So more than Wook but watching him turning into one selfish man is so hard to accept (I did posted a few comments defending Wook).

Some viewer do not like HS character that keep on hesitating between two guy and when she sort of ‘do not trust’ WS (many times), some could not accept it. Some may vent out their frustration some don’t instead they change channel.

In the earlier episode – some viewers were turned off to the thought of WS the cruel ruler/king (as in HS premonition). Though some are confident that WS will not turn ruthless and some believed there could be reasons but for some the thought of WS a ruthless king is too much to accept (however it’s already proven in eps 16 but may be too late for some).

Some are not used when their 1st male lead is being hinted to be the ruthless king (vague). PD did not make it clear and earlier episodes WS character kind of vague .. black/grey/white .. (I personally do not believe PD will be daring enough to make his 1st lead character as ruthless).

I think most of us don’t like the idea of him implementing house arrest one or hate the idea of him being ruthless, killing siblings. .. but we trust PD will be able to do some justification in case he ever turn ruthless (which is very unlikely). Some may have read the plot of BBJX may think K production will follow BBJX (at least some of it) and may be turned off by that thought.  

Is it because it’s pre-produced and they know what they ‘want’ wouldn’t matter, the ending decided? But then again DOTS was a pre-produced drama and it was a phenomenal.

K netz have an unpredictable taste when it comes to drama .. When I thought they like something light and funny and fluffy – they went googoogaga over Punch (very melo and tragic drama).. When I thought they’d prefer something melo .. they went googoogaga over MLFAS.

Anyway I am glad that Joongki is watching other ‘high rating drama’ .. I like that he has the interest to know and to learn. I am glad that he is not arrogant and try to find what make a drama popular and what not. I hope he know that we all think he did great.

Anyway this is based on my opinion and some of my friends’ opinion that are currently watching SHR.

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, lyserose said:

It's actually 73% share of the timeslot, not 73% rating. As far as I know, there are 4 korean TV channels in these 3 countries which are KBS, Oh!K TV (which airing all MBC programs), ONE TV Asia (all programs by SBS) and TVN. All are basically paid TV except KBS, which comes together in a package for free if you subscribed with the service provider. It's not exactly apple to apple comparison since KBS did not air MDBC on Monday while MLSHR being aired same time in Korea. But both airing at the same time on Tuesday, though.

Having said that, there is no denying that MLSHR is the popular one here in this region as far as Malaysia and Singapore is concerned. Not very sure about Indonesia. As far as I read, MLSHR is the no.1 most watched drama in Malaysia this year, even surpassing DOTS and Doctors. There's an article for that but I could not recall where I read it before.

I also read somewhere that those watching MLSHR in Korea mostly comprising of younger audiences with some reasoning out due to the pretty casts and idols. So, in this aspect, we get to understand why the domestic rating is abysmal since younger generation normally opt to stream online rather than watching on TV.

Also, there's some mentioning that the drama is geared towards international audiences' preference and of course China, being its main target. If those are the group that this drama is catering for, then all could be said is that the drama has succeeded in achieving its targeted goals. A big success on international platform and China itself.

I don't necessarily agree that the drama sucks for its first 3 episodes. It depends on ones preference. The domestic audiences not liking it and tossing it aside but the international audiences choose to stay, so is it reasonable that to say that those choosing to stick with the drama have lousy taste palettes? 

Plus, if you looked into this whole domestic ratings failure, has they ever been a remake of another countries' drama that is so successful and a rating success in Korea? Except for Boys Before Flower, the rest also did more or less the same as MLSHR. The Time We Were Not In Love? Fated To Love You? Nodame Cantible? The Lying Game? The Suspicious Housekeeper? Even when those dramas featuring stars like Ha Ji Won, Choi Ji Woo and Jo Won. So, do your Math and let's just accept that remakes are really bad idea in Korea.

Thanks for your clarification :)

• Like 9

On 10/20/2016 at 2:52 PM, ruizaio said:

What the..... it's not personal, it's just my opinion on what I see on sites, sometimes k-netizens seem so.. outdated, so.. ignorant! Even fans, they don't know 'in between' they're like "super-fanatic-obsessive" or.. "I don't give a BIP"...  LJK is what? OLD? hahaha Dear God!

Spoiler

I have watched some scenes from MDBC, the other drama, yeah the editing is awsome as well as the scenes etc, but I don't find this drama as great all-in-all as MLSHR, so many kdramas in the past with female leading actors who pretend to be a boy and the leading guy falls in love etc concept and well we need something different, like MLSHR, something related to the history with a bit of fantasy and love and drama, I don't know, something new!

Fans of MDBC don't bash me for what I said it's my truth/feeling/whatever and you can't make me change it, so no need to argue. I respect you and your love but don't tell me to be the same, please, thank you!

My personal thought of MLSHR low ratings is because of editing and few eps for the hole plot. That's all. Rest are antis who are obsessed with something else and bash the rivals, that's old and here I am maybe doing the same thing because... you know :sweatingbullets: I hope that our actors read coments like ours who suport them very much! 

EDIT: Why I watched scenes from the other drama you may wonder.. because RichardSimmos the drama is aired in EU 1 day after aired in Korea on ***World and that's like 10PM here were I am and my hubby "oh is this the drama you like? let me see" and I'm like.. "this is so wrong" *sigh*

Edited by LyraYoo
OFFTOPIC
  • Like 20