[Drama 2015/2016] Beautiful You 아름다운 당신 8:55 pm KST

Ldy Gmerm

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@watchumlots.  I do not know whether I am correct but the writer is trying to tell us about family love, forgiving nature, the pain of never  being able to be together, sacrifices made in the name of love. I guess something like that. Although JH's mum is terrible, JH bought her a present before leaving. No matter how much he is irritated with his mum, he knows that he can't change his mum. Koreans are very in to filial piety and also blind dates to match status. The country is modern but they still are many traditions to follow. As an Asian person myself, we are brought up strictly by our parents. My friend's mum was disowned by her family for marrying a man not accepted by the family because he is poor and not as educated. Noona's hubby not bad looking. Yeah, we really do not understand why she is the happy one in the end and I guess she changed to a better person but not shown in the drama. In the drama, I really like grandpa , grandma, EunBi, SG's siblings and Jung Yong as well a few of the other characters. Overall, in reality, it is difficult to find a guy as devoted as SJ or to even try to understand how he could be so patient and kind.  Oh well, the drama has ended and am now enjoying other dramas. There a few good ones by tvn. Haha, I guess I am not making sense to what I am writing myself. A drama is a drama and we may either love it or hate it. It depends on individual. So many.  Kdramas to catch up but no time due to work but will try to do so. Enjoyed watching mrs cop 2, marriage contract, my lawyer, mr joe, jackpot. Just started on another ms oh but waiting patiently for hwarang becos of Park Seo Joon. After seeing him in kill me, heal me and she was pretty, I am digging up on his past dramas.  Anyway, enjoyed reading your posts very much. Always make me laugh and really relieve my stress due to work. Cheerios.

4 hours ago, dekaron said:

Ep123 Special Summary Edition , JH mom sees him drinking tea with SK and goes mad, SK says she is going to marry SJ to get JH's mom off her back and bam JY is already divorced again and pouncing on SJ. JH and SK mope around, JH gets all mad about mom goes to America SK cries in her room with closed doors.

Time jump JH is back from America accidentally sees SK ..... and history keeps on repeating

Oh, pleaseeee!  Just shoot me first!  

Unreal! this story gets happy ending for JY and the ending is her wedding?  OMG!   I am already having nightmare about this.  Groundhogs Day\

First, @Ayame, Thank you for sticking with this drama to the end and the recaps. You were busy with school, but still took time to keep us informed.  So thank you bunches!!!!!

I'm confused. This drama is called Beautiful You.  Why?

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

First, @Ayame, Thank you for sticking with this drama to the end and the recaps. You were busy with school, but still took time to keep us informed.  So thank you bunches!!!!!

I'm confused. This drama is called Beautiful You.  Why?

Because you're beautiful for sticking around for 60 hours?

I watched the final episode with subs.....so I was able to clarify some things:

SJ grandma wrote a book of poems....the title of the book " Beautiful you.......

SJ wanted to give his grandma a party to congradulate her for publishing a book....so he met up with SY to ask her help in setting up the Venue for the party.....during the conversation she asked SJ I heard you went on a blind date.....he replied yes.

SY grandpa was at the bookstore and saw the book that SJ grandma published and the title and he read one of the poems and then called SJ grandma to congradulate her.

JH went to the Hotel JY wedding was being held at (he left the airport and went straight to the hotel for his sis wedding)

SY went to the same Hotel JY wedding was being held at to talk to the event planner regarding SJ grandma's party......then they ran into each other.

SJ finally told JY that they would never ever be together again....even if the sky is falling they would never be together and walked out the room. I am so glad he finally told her that. I am so glad he did not end up with her....however I dont like the fact that she seems the only one with a happy ending either.

Yes it is a open ending since we can only speculate that since JH asked SY if she wanted to go have tea, and she said yes and the glances they were making at each other we know they are still in love with each other,  that possibly could lead to something more.........

6 hours ago, shae said:

This drama is called Beautiful You.  Why?

SJ 83 year old grandmother became an author of a book of poetry and the title is: " BEAUTIFUL YOU"

THANK YOU  @Brenda Capers and @Monica63 for the time and effort to explain this wandering minstrel show of a lousy attempt at a family/romance drama.  

I got all the LOVE: passionate: stupid girl that ran-off with a guy that cheated on her, familial: family that accepted stupid girl AND her baby, romantic: stupid girl and HotPD, longing:  HotCEO and his pining for stupid girl, and ophan girl searching for her mother, parental: loser dad learning about cute kiddo, obsessive/possessive:  nasty noona and HotCEO, resigned and regretful:  grandpa and grandma, accepting: whiny uncle with his aunt and nephew, selfish: screeching banshee hanging onto the grudge against her husband's ex girlfriend... this is obvious.  

However, the Writer went in circles with the characters as well as the plot. Those that mention "Groundhog Day" hit it right on the head. Two three-year time jumps left the main characters in exactly the same place spatially, emotionally, and narratively.  We are to believe six years pass while all remains the same?  LAME!  The Writer is LAME!  

Writer filled screen time with lots of characters that were not ancillary to the plot. Lame!

Most frustrating for viewers is to gather actors and place them in a story with a pointless plot.  Lame! 

LAME! is my review for this series. 

@watchumlotsI totally agree with what you said above. 

I don't think family dramas need to be this crappy or lame. I've watched some K-family dramas over the years that had alot of meaning and where the writing wasn't this bad. 

I found it really irritating, how the writers basically just wrote the same scenes over and over again for different people. All the side couples basically had the same scenes in the same places (library, cafe, karate place, cafe, rinse and repeat) with the most utterly inane dialogues ever. Alot of those were so cheesy it felt kinda cringey at times. I don't even understand why the writer/pd would waste precious screen time on all these things and side characters when they could have used that to better develop the main characters' stories. It's like if you aren't gonna bother developing their individual stories and they don't even play a huge role to the main storyline, then why are they in the story??? 

On the same note, I can't even begin to understand why almost every main supporting character has to have some sort of loveline? Was it even necessary? And worse, the people they had lovelines with had their own life crap written in as well and the show has to spend precious time on those stuff. But then again, cause they weren't the main characters, so Show can't spend THAT much time on those stuff, so what you get is half-efforts in terms of story and character development for EVERYONE. One eg I can think of is Yooni and Taewoo. Show had to go and introduce her lost mother story arc and didn't even bother to properly develop it. There I was thinking that it would be interesting, but no, Show went on for episodes in between where that plot wasn't even touched on, so what's the point? Instead we have scene after scene of them doing childish things in the same locations, which just left me thinking they are a very superficial pair and i just FFed all those types of scenes. =/ Show would be better off not having so many mini storylines going on and so many characters when their main storyline for their main characters wasn't even properly fleshed out. =/

And another major issue I had which you pointed out. We had 2-3 (?) time jumps yet the characters remain almost the SAME after all these years???? The only thing that changed was their hair length/hair colour and dressing!! How ridiculous >< There was absolutely no emotional or mental growth. Everyone behaved the same, spoke the same, thought the same, and STILL had the same inane dialogues with each other! Conversations and behaviour are supposed to change as people experience more of life and start to have various things affect them in various ways. So I find it hard to believe that after all those time jumps (I'm thinking at least 5-6 years or more passed there?), not a single person had proper emotional growth. It was really weird watching some characters behave in such a childish way - in exactly the same way they did 5 years ago?! And I'm there thinking, dude you are probably in your mid-20s or whatever why are you still behaving as if you are still 18??FACEPALM. It's as if their time machine went bonkers or something. 

Lame is the correct word! And very succinctly sums it all up. Haha. 

• 1 month later...

Archived