[Drama 2015] The Village: Achiara's Secret 마을- 아치아라의 비밀

larus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me have Viki fully sub ep 1 and 2 for this drama? I notice it only 23% on Viki page so does it mean we have to wait until 100% to get eng sub? Can someone suggest me another site with better quality of eng sub?

You can watch it on

dramacool.com. Now, the problems from yesterday seem to be resolved. 

Actually, I'm not convinced we've seen anything undeniably supernatural at all, so far.  True, both So Yun and Yuna have seen and heard things other people didn't. We saw and heard what they saw and heard, but that's the way this production works.  What they, and we along with them, experienced, was extremely eerie, but not everything eerie necessarily has a supernatural origin.

Yuna's character profile is headed "A Girl Who Can See Death". But "see" in both Korean and English, is a very slippery word in contexts like this.

Guest skeletonworks

I'm so glad Viki got the license! Actually I can watch it on ONE because my family subscribes to this cable channel (just found about it today hahaha) but sometimes I might miss it so I still rely on online streaming. Like today I caught the rerun of episode 2 but only halfway towards the end. The mystery is intensified and kept me at the edge of my seat.

The first time SY stepped into that rent apartment, I already feel creeped out. I just don't like the deco as well as the paintings. I used to stay in this kind of apartment and it really gave a chill down my spine. I'm so glad she threw away all those deco. Now her room looked more normal.

I'm guessing the girl who used to live at the apartment was her sister because of that necklace she found accidentally... But why the heck did the news report them as dead? Why are they separated? I got the feeling that HJ came to Achiara for the same reason as SY; to find out the truth. Pretty sure the accident when they were young is somehow convolutedly connected to Assembly CG & his wife. My gut feeling is saying that JS killed HJ rather than CG himself. She has these crazy eyes look haha.

On top of that, the convo between JS and the pharmacist (JS's sister/relative) about HJ and the time capsule, it's as if there's something more sinister about this whole messed up thing in Achiara... It's driving me crazy!

@necyhey_stv I had started watching the second episode on that side, but the translation isn't good. So I'll wait for the subtitles from viki!

I have been wondering about the Gun Woo's remark about the old senile woman and the woman from a younger generation who came from abroad finding the corpse. Who is the old senile woman he was referring to? Was it So-Yoong's grandmother and she had the same ability... finding corpses?  

I'm afraid I  just don't have time to translate all the character profiles, or even the remaining bits of the ones I've partly translated so far. There are a number of other people here who can read Korean, and they might want to step forward to fill that particular gap. But I do hope nobody resorts posting entire Google-translated profiles as found in many other threads, because I suspect that in this drama especially that would lead to all sorts of false trails. For a start, I'd expect there to be a lot of references to "power-operated windows" in the translations, thanks to the Haewon owner's name.

However, here is the bulk of the profile for Gi Hyeon, because again I think it wil provide readers with no Korean the same protection against starting off along false trails concerning this character as Korean viewers can get for free from the drama's website

He has a lecherous father and a young, beautiful stepmother.

The worse his father treated his stepmother, the more his sympathy with her grew.

In his mother's womb, he selected only his handsome father's superior genes, and 'upgraded' himself, coming into the world like a blossoming flower. [Sorry guys, I'm just the translator round here and when the original's "flowery" in an embarrassingly literal sense, I've no choice but to lay it on appropriately thick.] That's why he caused a sensation at the hospital: "He's a newborn, yet he's stunningly handsome".

However, what makes him truly radiant is not so much his appearance as his character. In contrast to the trademark arrogance and self-righteousness of the Haewon Steel Seo family, he is affectionate and humble. His level-headed intelligence in wordly matters adds the finishing touch to his qualities.

His continually downcast and ill mother suddenly died when he was 10. The boy laid the blame entirely on his father. The boy's condemnation of his father was increased as he saw him continuing his debauchery with women. Then one day his father brought home Ji Suk, a stepmother only 12 years younger than him. Before long he became utterly devoted to his beautiful stepmother, seeing her as a lovely flower. Responding to his adolescent fervor, she touched the heart of this boy who was hungry for a mother's love

In Gi Hyeon's eyes, Jisuk deserved as much pity as his birth mother. He longed to protect his vulnerable and lovely stepmother.

On his arrival back in Achiara, he was faced with a moment of choice. The village he returned to after a long spell abroad was buzzing with the discovery of a skeleton. And Soyun, a native English-speaking teacher appointed to Haewon High, kept catching his eye. The fonder he grew of Soyun, and the more her quest posed a threat to the village and his family, the more conflicted his emotions grew.

So now, he had to make a choice. Should he turn a blind eye to his family's evil deeds, or go the whole way to unearthing his family's secrets?

I'm so glad Viki got the license! Actually I can watch it on ONE because my family subscribes to this cable channel (just found about it today hahaha) but sometimes I might miss it so I still rely on online streaming. Like today I caught the rerun of episode 2 but only halfway towards the end. The mystery is intensified and kept me at the edge of my seat.

The first time SY stepped into that rent apartment, I already feel creeped out. I just don't like the deco as well as the paintings. I used to stay in this kind of apartment and it really gave a chill down my spine. I'm so glad she threw away all those deco. Now her room looked more normal.

I'm guessing the girl who used to live at the apartment was her sister because of that necklace she found accidentally... But why the heck did the news report them as dead? Why are they separated? I got the feeling that HJ came to Achiara for the same reason as SY; to find out the truth. Pretty sure the accident when they were young is somehow convolutedly connected to Assembly CG & his wife. My gut feeling is saying that JS killed HJ rather than CG himself. She has these crazy eyes look haha.

On top of that, the convo between JS and the pharmacist (JS's sister/relative) about HJ and the time capsule, it's as if there's something more sinister about this whole messed up thing in Achiara... It's driving me crazy!

When the girls were separated after the accident, the halmoni took care of So-Yoon, but who took care of HJ? This person must have known that HJ's real identity had to remain secret. This person must have realised that HJ had died that's why a letter was sent to the halmoni, but SY's grandmother decided to hide the truth from SY because she wanted her to stay alive. So the reason for the death of SY's grandmother must have been Achiara's secret. While the grandmother thought, it might be better to forget the past, the other person didn't agree. To conclude, this unknown person must have also suffered from the death of SY's parents.  

We can assume that HJ was targeting Ji-Sook, this means that she knew that JS was kind of involved in her parents' death. The way she tormented JS with the pictures, she knew all along that someone was taking pictures. To conclude, those pictures were made to upset JS. 

Moreover, the serial killer started his killing spree with HJ's death... why so? This means, her death must have triggered something by him. My bet, he is connected to Achiara's secret. Maybe, he must have discovered HJ's real identity and felt immense guilty. However, based on the last victim's reaction, we saw that noone would suspect this person. Therefore I would eliminate Gun Woo as suspect. Ga-Young didn't like Gun Woo and as a teacher, he had reprimanded her before... so she wouldn't feel that comfortable with the suspect. I don't know why, but Ki-Hyun looks much more suspicious to me. Sure, he was supposed to be in the States but who knows if he was there in reality. Moreover, he knew HJ, her place and her connection to his little sister.  

Guest skeletonworks

Moreover, the serial killer started his killing spree with HJ's death... why so? This means, her death must have triggered something by him. My bet, he is connected to Achiara's secret. Maybe, he must have discovered HJ's real identity and felt immense guilty. However, based on the last victim's reaction, we saw that noone would suspect this person. Therefore I would eliminate Gun Woo as suspect. Ga-Young didn't like Gun Woo and as a teacher, he had reprimanded her before... so she wouldn't feel that comfortable with the suspect. I don't know why, but Ki-Hyun looks much more suspicious to me. Sure, he was supposed to be in the States but who knows if he was there in reality. Moreover, he knew HJ, her place and her connection to his little sister.  

I watched half of episode 2 on the cable channel and caught the scene where GY was bullying YN and was caught by GW, the art teacher. After the teacher left, all her friends were teasing her. They asked her what is up between the two of them. There's chemistry sparks between you two. Later on there's a scene where GY met YN and asked YN to get her a job at her father's company. She told her that she saw YN and the autistic boy fell into the corpse pit. She told her she knew who the killer was and would only tell YN if she secured her a job at her dad's company. This is where I got confused. The mystery deepened. I got the feeling that GY was with either GW (seemed like they got something going on...maybe) or with the killer at the lake when that happened. From the ending of the episode, when GY casually got into a car indicate that she knew the driver. Then she jokingly said "You totally feel like a serial killer". Later we can see she got really creeped out when the driver touched/grabbed her thigh... I'm not sure about her fate... She could be murdered or we could be trolled lol. If she was killed, then it must have been because of what she said or knew...

I also didn't reject the idea that KH could be the suspect for the same reason you mentioned. He could be in the States, but that doesn't mean he couldn't flown in and murdered some women. It's just my gut feeling so far and I haven't watched the first half of episode 2.

Im not sure if anyone notice this but when Ga Young was in her room after her mom scold and prevent her from going out..she's holding an old picture of Assemblyman and her mother..could it be that she's the love child of them?? Maybe that why Ga Young asked Yona to get her a job at the company... some sort of revenge plan or something??? 

Guest skeletonworks

Im not sure if anyone notice this but when Ga Young was in her room after her mom scold and prevent her from going out..she's holding an old picture of Assemblyman and her mother..could it be that she's the love child of them?? Maybe that why Ga Young asked Yona to get her a job at the company... some sort of revenge plan or something??? 

I missed this scene. Now it totally makes sense. The Haewon Steel family is hiding so many secrets... so scary.. At this point, I'm beginning to suspect all the characters including that cheerful-I-want-to-gobble-him-up police officer.

I watched half of episode 2 on the cable channel and caught the scene where GY was bullying YN and was caught by GW, the art teacher. After the teacher left, all her friends were teasing her. They asked her what is up between the two of them. There's chemistry sparks between you two. Later on there's a scene where GY met YN and asked YN to get her a job at her father's company. She told her that she saw YN and the autistic boy fell into the corpse pit. She told her she knew who the killer was and would only tell YN if she secured her a job at her dad's company. This is where I got confused. The mystery deepened. I got the feeling that GY was with either GW (seemed like they got something going on...maybe) or with the killer at the lake when that happened. From the ending of the episode, when GY casually got into a car indicate that she knew the driver. Then she jokingly said "You totally feel like a serial killer". Later we can see she got really creeped out when the driver touched/grabbed her thigh... I'm not sure about her fate... She could be murdered or we could be trolled lol. If she was killed, then it must have been because of what she said or knew...

I also didn't reject the idea that KH could be the suspect for the same reason you mentioned. He could be in the States, but that doesn't mean he couldn't flown in and murdered some women. It's just my gut feeling so far and I haven't watched the first half of episode 2.

In my opinion, there are at least two murderers... the one responsible for the death of SY's parents (murderer 1) and the serial killer (murderer 2). But I don't think, the death of the grandmother was just an accident too. That would be too much of a coincidence. When she died, HJ was already dead. Either, the person who supported HJ quarrelled with her and killed her because of the disagreement: finding the secret of Achiara. But that would be too much in my opinion. However, this person must have asked for halmoni's help and send her the copy of the article hoping, she would come back with SY and investigate the case.

There is another possibility: the murderer one discovered that HJ was one of the supposed deceased from the car accident. This person might have used the serial killer to do his dirty work. That's how the murderer 1 decided to find out about the grandmother's whereabouts and realised that the other sister had survived. This person killed the halmoni in order to stop SY to come back from Achiara. Nevertheless, this person could have seen a picture of SY. So when she applied for the job, the murderer 1 decided to use again the serial killer in order to get rid of SY. I find it weird that she was the target as soon as she arrived in SK. This is not just a coincidence.

But okay, I haven't finished watching the second episode. The subtitles were terrible so I have just read the recap from dramabeans.

On the other hand, this drama is so interesting that I can't help myself thinking about it and developping theories!

I strongly suspect that nearly everyone in the Village below a certain age, say 40, is the offspring of the rampant boss of Haewon. It's bit like Duke Karl August of Weimar, patron and boozing buddy of the German Shakespeare-equivalent Goethe. A large proportion of the children in his Duchy were either rumored, or actually known, to be his. The way they got known to be his was that he was in the habit of using a different pronoun to address his illegitimate offspring from the one usually employed by the high nobility when ordering the peasants around.

http://www.dramabuds.co/the-village-achiaras-secret-episode-1-english-sub/

Above site has ep 1 & 2 with  english subs..dramacool also has 1 & 2 eng sub, but the subbing is beyond awful, which is unusual for this site..hope that helps

Once again, as I said a couple of pages back in this thread, the un-edited subs you see at some of these sites are lifted from DSS (DarkSmurfSub.com) which first brings up software-translated subs for each episode, before people manually translate or fix/edit those lines The software is 100 times more intelligent than google translator etc, and the names are all correct, but it is still software-generated, so the initial subs are in poor grammar.  If you come and join DSS, you can get the latest manually-translated subs (or watch video if you are helping in the work, as DSS is not a streaming site and wants to stay legal)

As of now Ep 1 is done and Ep.2 is about 55% done at DSS.  I think viki is now subbing the first episode but they'll catch up soon too.

Guest anitgone

Just watched episode 1 on Viki...loved it found it more compelling...looking forward to this scary, mysterious ride with you new villagers-- I rarely post, only to check out Moonie's dramas soooo nice to "meet" all of you...on to episode 2! 

@necyhey_stv I had started watching the second episode on that side, but the translation isn't good. So I'll wait for the subtitles from viki!

I have been wondering about the Gun Woo's remark about the old senile woman and the woman from a younger generation who came from abroad finding the corpse. Who is the old senile woman he was referring to? Was it So-Yoong's grandmother and she had the same ability... finding corpses?  

"A younger generation who came from abroad" if that's what a sub actually says, doesn't really convey the real point. But that line is a total horror to sub in any case.

Aside from anything else,  it's a bit difficult to catch what's said accurately, since it's couched in mock folk-tale diction and half-panted by a guy who's getting pretty horny.

But the real obstacle is that it's an example of a sentence type (a so-called double-subject construction) that academic linguists struggle to fit into grammatical theories of how Korean works "under the hood" (its "deep structure").

There is in fact only one main subject -- an odd thing to claim in itself, because in orthodox theory a given verb or verb phrase can  have only one subject anyway, though that subject may of course be a plural entity, so the idea of the "main" subject of  verb makes little sense for most languages -- and that subject is 데리고 온 여자가" (= "a woman who had come back home.") The subject-phrase "A woman who had come back home" is then the subject of the main verb phrase "discovered a corpse hidden in the ground." That's the core of what the sentence says: SY found a corpse. So far so good.

But now we have to cope with a phrase that goes before that "main" subject phrase and "modifies" it (= tells us something more about the subject, that "woman who had come back home") But that modifier phrase has a grammatical subject of its own, and it's a subject with no main verb to call its own, because the main verb phrase "discovered a corpse..." already has a subject, thank you very much, and in English there's no room for another.

Unless, that is, we resort to translating as though this was an instance of the only sort of "multiple" subject that English grammar allows, namely a plural one. So we can link the subject which English leaves homeless (the "senile granny") to the "woman who had come home" with an "and". But then we end up with the impression that they both equally and simultaneously did the "finding" of the corpse, that our "senile granny" was out there in the woods with So Yun when she made her discovery. But we can see that she wasn't, and we know know that the poor lady's mortal remains are somewhere in that strange Kdrama "Montreal", a predominantly French-speaking city where everybody nevertheless speaks and screams in the variety of English unique to Kdrama-roped-in-off-the-streets-foreigner extras.

What's going on is that the link between the "senile granny" and the "woman who had come home" in the original Korean is that said granny had tried to make So Yun into a member of the new "global generation" (widely supposed to be out of touch with, or maybe liberated from,  its native roots -- ROOTS, nudge nudge, you know, the sort of thing that though normally BURIED, get EXPOSED by landslips and are easy to mistake for beckoning skeletal hands and vice versa) by whisking her off to Canada to escape the sinister miasma of rural Korean skullduggery, but despite Granny's efforts she had been "called" back, and the moment she set foot on Korean soil - her native "땅" ,a word with a massive ideological payload -- a corpse popped up under those newly-arrived feet.

Moral: there's no way of getting away from the grip of Old Korea or the Achiara lake monster. Canada just doesn't cut it. You have to go home and either watch where you put your feet, or get digging at the risk of unearthing something pretty nasty.

How to repack that into the space of a plausible single line? Well, I went for the walk in the park I resort to on such occasions (the locals are used by now to the crazy old guy who walks along trying out various candidate translation versions under his breath) but this time came back none the wiser, and settled in my sub, too, for that, admittedly misleading, "and" to connect SY and her granny.  But at least I tried. Honest I did.

Any one out there still believe that an episode of a Kdrama this tricksy can be satisfactorily subbed against the clock with a six hour turnaround?

We can't help noticing however, that this translation-resistant remark proves that our ardent Haewon High Head of Art plainly knows a whole lot more about Soyun's past and the reasons for her presence in Korea than he ought to do if there was nothing fishy about him.

Have watched ep 1 with subs!!

I just downloaded the subs from subscene, dunno if it came from DSS or Viki..

Anyway with subs I like ep 1 more.. it gives strong foothold to the latter eps and I really like the characters here.. Dramabeans is right, Teacher Nam is creepy and a bit.. umm I dunno how to say, but a bit strange, weird.

Haven't watched ep 2 coz I'm still waiting for subs to complete..

Many thanks to subbers!!! You rocks!! :D:wub:

Archived