[Drama 2015/2016] The Merchant : Gaekju 2015 장사의 신-객주 2015 | Wed/Thur 10 PM KST

Prettysup

Episode 33

%ED%81%AC%EA%B8%B0%EB%B3%80%ED%99%98_%EC

Each time I look at the scenes with this signage place, make me want to laugh......Observation to the calligraphy signage above that is written "敦厚以崇禮" (means esteem & practice of all propriety/honesty, Dong Hu Yi Sung Rye,돈후이 숭례) ...the whole phrase comes as "溫故而知新 敦厚以崇禮"

It is a phrase taken from the Doctrine of Mean, Chapter 27 ( 중용 ,中庸) & the phrase translate as "He exerts an honest, generous earnestness, in the esteem & practice of all propriety".....The Doctrine of Means represent moderation, rectitude, objectivity, sincerity, honesty & propriety

I am sure that the people on the floor are not advocate of this practice

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that this new character(Queen's nephew) in the future would form an alliance with BS if BS ever needs help from the political side which is most likely going to happen if BS wants to be the great merchant as this queen nephew is the perfect fit for BS amongst all the government workers I have seen so far in this drama.

He is very straight forward and bold, asking his aunt(Queen) why she is keeping MW close to her, even if she helped cured the crown prince in the presence of  MW although the queen scolded him for been rude, the nephew also said something interesting to his servant about his uncle(Min Kyung Ho) saying he is even more greedy than Kim Bo Hyun so his servant should keep an eye on the uncle .

Finally I loved BS genius plan to fool everyone in believing their were attacked by pirate so that SG wouldn't suspect that SSJ wealth would eventually end up in BS's hand instead of SG current thought that the SSJ inheritance has turned into ash seeing the pirates burned the fake promissory note, SD suggested that BS can use that wealth to help his colleagues, I wonder how BS would use to the wealth to help the merchants.

Also MW suggested that Wol might have feelings for BS, does this mean that Wol is MW next target as the woman closest to BS and helping him take care of YS, MW would be well matched with Wol if she decide to see her as an enemy as unlike SL, Wol has a strong fighting spirit and she wouldn't just allow MW attack her without fighting back.

Episode 33

1453386594403.jpg

The assets is 10 million nyang (10 sheets of million nyang ( 양/兩 ) banknote ( Eun Pyo, 은표, 银票) with the value in silver)

Nyang ( 양/兩 ) was the currency denomination of Joseon/Korea between 1892-1902...it was change to won in 1902.....the exchange was 5 nyang = 1 won

220px-Korea_1892_coin_-_5_yang.jpg

The Joseon 5 nyang silver coin circa 1892

17 hours ago, andy78 said:

But, all of this was planned by Bong-sam. Bong-sam hired the forest pirates and sent them to the spot. The note was passed over to Bong-sam safely.

Didnt expect the last part at all, I really thought all of the old goat's money have turned into ashes. And the disappointed  looks on SG and Mechant Meang's faces were priceless.

9 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Episode 33

Each time I look at the scenes with this signage place, make me want to laugh......Observation to the calligraphy signage above that is written "敦厚以崇禮" (means esteem & practice of all propriety/honesty, Dong Hu Yi Sung Rye,돈후이 숭례) ...the whole phrase comes as "溫故而知新 敦厚以崇禮"

It is a phrase taken from the Doctrine of Mean, Chapter 27 ( 중용 ,中庸) & the phrase translate as "He exerts an honest, generous earnestness, in the esteem & practice of all propriety".....The Doctrine of Means represent moderation, rectitude, objectivity, sincerity, honesty & propriety

I am sure that the people on the floor are not advocate of this practice

Wow you are very observant... and yeah these merchants certainly are nowhere near what that signage says

7 hours ago, oyeleyeolusina said:

I have a feeling that this new character(Queen's nephew) in the future would form an alliance with BS if BS ever needs help from the political side which is most likely going to happen if BS wants to be the great merchant as this queen nephew is the perfect fit for BS amongst all the government workers I have seen so far in this drama.

He is very straight forward and bold, asking his aunt(Queen) why she is keeping MW close to her, even if she helped cured the crown prince in the presence of  MW although the queen scolded him for been rude, the nephew also said something interesting to his servant about his uncle(Min Kyung Ho) saying he is even more greedy than Kim Bo Hyun so his servant should keep an eye on the uncle .

Finally I loved BS genius plan to fool everyone in believing their were attacked by pirate so that SG wouldn't suspect that SSJ wealth would eventually end up in BS's hand instead of SG current thought that the SSJ inheritance has turned into ash seeing the pirates burned the fake promissory note, SD suggested that BS can use that wealth to help his colleagues, I wonder how BS would use to the wealth to help the merchants.

Also MW suggested that Wol might have feelings for BS, does this mean that Wol is MW next target as the woman closest to BS and helping him take care of YS, MW would be well matched with Wol if she decide to see her as an enemy as unlike SL, Wol has a strong fighting spirit and she wouldn't just allow MW attack her without fighting back.

Yeah that new character (nephew) will certainly make a good ally for BS. Problem is, didn't MW predict that he is dying soon? Or had I understood that part correctly ?

Episode 33

Let me look into my crystal ball & give MW a run for her money

MW predict that Min Yeong Ik will see to his early death

Historically this is true...not death but wounded, Min Yeong Ik was gravely wounded as he was stabbed 9 times during an assassination attempt during the Gapsin Incident/Coup in December 1884, a German diplomat Paul Georg von Mollendorff who was present at the scene was shock that the Korean doctors were untrained to deal with the wounds & was about to fill Min Yeong Ik wounds with wax when Paul Georg von Mollendorff halted them & requested the medical assistance from an American Doctor, Horace Newton Allen who came & was able to stitch up his wound & he oversee Min Yeong Ik 3 months recovery & thus earning the profound gratitude from Gojong.

Dr Horace Newton Allen was able to establish a Western modern facility hospital under the patronage of the King with Royal Finances.....initially name Gwanghyewon later renamed as Jejungwon...then with overseas finances funded with USD43,000 donation from Cleveland philanthropist Louis Henry Severance, the hospital evolved to become the current Severance Hospital & established the Yonsei University College of Medicine

The 2010 SBS drama Jejungwon depicts the established of this hospital 

20 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Episode 33

Let me look into my crystal ball & give MW a run for her money

MW predict that Min Yeong Ik will see to his early death

Historically this is true...not death but wounded, Min Yeong Ik was gravely wounded as he was stabbed 9 times during an assassination attempt during the Gapsin Incident/Coup in December 1884, a German diplomat Paul Georg von Mollendorff who was present at the scene was shock that the Korean doctors were untrained to deal with the wounds & was about to fill Min Yeong Ik wounds with wax when Paul Georg von Mollendorff halted them & requested the medical assistance from an American Doctor, Horace Newton Allen who came & was able to stitch up his wound & he oversee Min Yeong Ik 3 months recovery & thus earning the profound gratitude from Gojong.

Dr Horace Newton Allen was able to establish a Western modern facility hospital under the patronage of the King with Royal Finances.....initially name Gwanghyewon later renamed as Jejungwon...then with overseas finances funded with USD43,000 donation from Cleveland philanthropist Louis Henry Severance, the hospital evolved to become the current Severance Hospital & established the Yonsei University College of Medicine

The 2010 SBS drama Jejungwon depicts the established of this hospital 

File:Jejungwon.jpg
Cr:Wikimedia

Jejungwon, inside Yonsei University   

Figure F2

Figure F1

Dr. Horace Newton Allen, an American missionary doctor 
                               (1858-1932)

Spoiler

CHEJUNGWON AND AN INTRODUCTION TO WESTERN MEDICINE

Korea was first introduced to Western medicine in the 17th century via Chinese books on medical practices in the West. Among the few with access to these early manuscripts, Silhak scholars throughout Korea were some of the first to become aware of Western medical practices.1 Taking their new-found knowledge, they began to write to their peers on the promises of Western medicine. Nevertheless, acceptance of these new medical practices was not garnered among society until the opening of the Joseon kingdom in 1876. Still, a need for Western medicine would not be realized among the general public and ruling powers until December 1884, during the Gapsin Coup: in the aftermath of the coup, Dr. Horace Newton Allen, an American missionary doctor, was able to successfully treat the serious injuries sustained by royal relative Min Young Ik after being stabbed with a sword. His recovery demonstrated the benefits of Western medicine to the masses.......................

http://www.eymj.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.3349/ymj.2015.56.3.593&code=0069YMJ&vmode=PUBREADER#!po=18.7500

Archived