[Variety] New Journey to the West 신서유기 ( tvN x Naver)

Guest sunshineo

I also think Ep1-5 was funnier

In Ep.6-10, mostly I replayed the scene when SeungGi changing his pants (Ops!! :P ) and when SeungGi chills in his bed (it's just too precious) LOL :P

But overall I still think Ep.6-10 still fun, because I still enjoying replying it. And like I mentioned before, I'm not only love the funny part, but also the nostalgic part. So, for the 2nd 5 episodes, Ep 9 and Ep.10 is my favorite :D  (In First 5 episodes, Ep1 and Ep 5 is my fave)

=====================

Collecting News from last week that  hasn't been posted here.. :P

‘New Journey’ hits 6.1M viewers

Sept 07,2015

Producer Na Young-suk’s latest program “New Journey to the West” has received a positive response from the public, recording 6.1 million views on the first day of its release.

The show’s network tvN revealed that the first five episodes, released through Naver TV Cast recorded 6.1 million hits. And if the trailer and the video unveiled in production presentation are also included, the number adds up to 11.5 million views as of the morning of Sept. 5.

First aired on Sept. 4, the program features popular entertainers Eun Ji-won, Lee Soo-geun, Lee Seung-gi and Kang Ho-dong travelling to Xi’an, China.

The four celebrities are former stars of the first season of reality program “One Night, Two Days” (2007-12), which had a big following while it was on the air.

According to Na, his definition of the program’s success is recording over 20 million total views. Since the program has only released one-tenth of its episodes, the producer’ goal seems within reach.

BY JIN MIN-JI

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3008831

kkuljaem 꿀잼: 'New Journey to the West' hits 8.7 million views 3 days after its release http://kkuljaem.blogspot.ca/2015/09/new-journey-to-west-hits-87-million.html?m=1 

------------------

‘New Journey to the West’ paves way for Web entertainment

Updated : September 09 2015

Media content firm CJ E&M‘s travel-reality show “New Journey to the West” has accumulated 15 million views on Naver TV Cast, an online media platform, since its release on Sept. 4.

(Naver TV Cast)

Upon reaching 20 million views it will be the first online broadcast to reach the break-even point with only advertising revenues in South Korea.

The show stars former members of KBS variety show “1 Night 2 Days” Lee Seung-gi, Kang Ho-dong, Eun Ji-won and Lee Su-geun, who go on a backpacking trip in China and play various games.

“We are likely to reap the profits earlier-than-expected thanks to a surge in viewers. Online broadcast is emerging as a new cash cow with TV ad revenues declining,” an anonymous executive of CJ E&M was quoted as saying by a local media outlet.

Each episode is just around 10 minutes, much less than traditional hour-long TV airtimes, to appeal to smartphone users watching it during lunch or their commute.

The show hosts are more outspoken on the Internet broadcasts as they are much freer from broadcast regulations.

Singer and actor Lee Seung-gi, known for his squeaky clean image in Korea‘s entertainment scene, is more straightforward online. He freely talks about the members‘ murky past, such as Eun’s divorce and Lee Su-geun‘s gambling past, which can be difficult to discuss on TV.

“We plan to continue to upgrade the format and platform of Web entertainment,” said Lee Myung-hwan, supervisor of the show at CJ E&M.

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

http://www.kpopherald.com/view.php?ud=201509091747521390485_2

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sunshineo

'New Journey to the West’ exceeds 20 million views

“New Journey to the West,” an online travelogue program from cable channel tvN, attracted more than 20 million combined views online with its trailer and first episode, Naver said Saturday.

Naver, the country’s biggest portal website, hosts the online-only program in its TV cast section.

Kang Ho-dong, Lee Soo-geun, Lee Seung-gi and Eun Ji-won (from left) (OSEN)

The program’s episodes, up to 10 minutes each, were most watched between noon and 1 p.m. As for the platforms, viewers watched the program more on mobile devices than on desktop computers.

The trailer scored 5.2 million views, while the first episode raked in 15.5 million views.

As at least 10 more episodes are lined up for airtime, the total viewership is expected to top 30 million soon.

“New Journey to the West” features entertainers Kang Ho-dong, Lee Seung-gi, Eun Ji-won and Lee Soo-geun.

The show is also aired in China, via Chinese portal site QQ.

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201509131624146626279_2

The second week's episodes are "tamer" than the first week's. This time it got the real, like the real normal element. They include the resting or just talking time. I love that, showing off their family/brotherly bonding more. And I'm just weak against their chemistry XD

i started to watch NJTTW because of KHD and LSGeun. i like KHD since Strong Heart and LSG from 2D1N. LSGeun is sooo funny, he can be very funny effortlessly XD

i know EJW from Reply 1997, and i just know now that he is such a blatant guy. sometimes i think he's kinda rude but he's quite entertaining :)

SeungGi, he can fit into any variety show.

it's good to see a variety show which each member feels comfortable toward each other. i enjoy it so much.

Guest sunshineo

The second week's episodes are "tamer" than the first week's. This time it got the real, like the real normal element. They include the resting or just talking time. I love that, showing off their family/brotherly bonding more. And I'm just weak against their chemistry XD

@sgsairl

You're not the only one.. I'm so weak..!! Their chemistry is unbeatable!! ><

it's good to see a variety show which each member feels comfortable toward each other. i enjoy it so much.

This!! <3

------------------------------------------------

'New Journey to the West' dodges controversy

Posted : 2015-09-13 15:30  Updated : 2015-09-13 19:45

17-01%28390%29.jpg
Kang Ho-dong, left, and Lee Su-geun in a scene from Na Young-seok's new web series "New Journey to the West" / Courtesy of tvN

By Kwon Ji-youn

Star producer Na Young-seok was right again.

"New Journey to the West," featuring members from the first season of KBS's travel show "Two Days and One Night," has surpassed the 22 million viewer mark as of Sunday, just three weeks after the producers revealed its first preview on Aug. 25. The clips have also garnered more than 10 million views on Chinese web portal QQ.  (Actually they already got more than 20M too on QQ :P )

"I'm glad to have met our goal of 20 million views so early," said Na. "We will work even harder to produce content that is worth watching."

"New Journey," starring comedians Kang Ho-dong, Lee Su-geun, singers Lee Seung-gi and Eun Ji-won, has continued to make headlines for its controversial cast, new ventures and the fact that Na, behind hits like "Grandpas Over Flowers" and "Three Meals a Day," was helming the production. So far, 10 episodes have been uploaded over two Fridays, and both viewer and media reactions are largely affirmative.

On the show, the reunited members travel through China, undertaking missions such as getting to their hotel with very little battery charge left in their smartphones, or ordering a specific dish from a menu typed only in Chinese.

The members boast a chemistry that isn't easy to achieve even after years together on a single show. Having confronted their past mistakes, it is clear each member is approaching the show with more sincerity and earnestness. Kang in particular _ who once stood on equal footing with the most highly sought-after emcee Yu Jae-seok _ has experienced difficulties making a successful comeback after his hiatus following accusations of tax evasion in 2011. But with the help of his old friends, Kang seems to be adapting well to the new format, which viewers are welcoming this time around.

"New Journey" may not have turned as many heads had it aired on television. A project for tvN's digital content brand "tvN go," the show's clips are streamed online through a web portal, which means viewers must actively seek them to be able to watch them. Because some members have antagonized fans with misconduct, Na's choice of an online platform has sidestepped the controversy the show would have faced had it been broadcast on television, as well as minimized any friction.

Utilizing the web platform has also given the producers and members the freedom they weren't able to enjoy on television. The producers poke fun at the members' flaws and controversies with captions that are more than blatant, and the members, in response, have become as daring and are more open with what they say or how they act. The show doesn't censor brand names, which helps viewers better identify with the members as they travel through the central Chinese city of Xi'an, and the lines don't sound as scripted or rehearsed.

Because the clips are short and available online, they can be viewed anywhere, at any time. Web content, a big part of the fast-spreading "snack culture," is perhaps better suited to today's lifestyle. Viewers are no longer forced to wait for a specific time to watch their favorite shows, and because the clips come in short segments of three to 13 minutes, they can be downloaded or streamed on smartphones while on the move, much like enjoying a quick snack.

"New Journey to the West," inspired by the 16th century Chinese novel "Journey to the West," is available at 10 a.m. on Fridays exclusively through Naver's online streaming platform "tvcast."

Guest sunshineo

Ann started translation Netizen Top comments for NJttW since last week.. Thanks Ann :)

Netizen Response - Translated by LSGfan

links:

[Netizen Response] NJttW Teaser 1 – Lee Seunggi, Monk Xuanzang Who Takes Hold of Monster Hyungs?

[Netizen Response] NJttW Greeting – Lee Seunggi, An Ominous Sign Greeting? 2 mins 6 secs Attracts Attention

[Netizen Response] NJttW Teaser 2 – Kang Hodong Hidden Camera, ‘Seunggi-ya Please Save Hyung’

[Netizen Response] NJttW Press Conference Full Video

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 1 ‘Legendary Start’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 2 ‘6am Beef House, and Great Glimpse Into Xian!’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 3 ‘NJttW Games Instruction Manual’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 4 ‘Good Conversations Before The Race’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 5 ‘Finally China! Xuanzang Monk Race 上’

[Netizen Response] 9.9.2015 New Journey to the West – Teaser ‘Dragon Ball Mission Finally Revealed!!’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 6 ‘Anyway Winner is Lee Seunggi! Monk Race 下’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 7 ‘Kang Hodong’s First Errand in His Lifetime’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 8 ‘The Birth of Zhu BaJie’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 9 ‘First Dragon Ball Mission! DeFaChang Happening?!’

[Netizen Response] New Journey to the West – Episode 10 ‘Sleeping Together After 5 Years! First Night of Monsters’

Bonus:

NJttW Press Conference – Lee Seunggi Snippets

So happy by the good response.. :)

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! I still can't get the feel of this soompi layout so I can't come here as often as I want to... TT____TT Everything just loads so much slowerrrr

==============================

i started to watch NJTTW because of KHD and LSGeun. i like KHD since Strong Heart and LSG from 2D1N. LSGeun is sooo funny, he can be very funny effortlessly XD

i know EJW from Reply 1997, and i just know now that he is such a blatant guy. sometimes i think he's kinda rude but he's quite entertaining :)

SeungGi, he can fit into any variety show.

Hahahaha yes, this choding just tends to say whatever's on his mind. Though he only does this with people he's comfortable having a banter with. He really loves his papa bear as much as he likes to bully him... :D

tumblr_inline_mo6npeANwn1qkq61c.gif tumblr_mn97ranW6K1qm73qio4_250.gif

I do agree in so many points about that "NJttW dodges controversy"... Like they did a good thing by choosing the web format. The freedom the members are having cos of being on the web endears them more to the mass. Unlike if they went on TV broadcast where they'd have to avoid the scandals. 

==

I love all the responses to Kang Hodong even his embarrassing Zhu Bajie dance got lots of love!!! Go, Hodong!!!

Guest sunshineo

Dramabeans Recaps

New Journey to the West: Episodes 6-10

by javabeans | September 14, 2015

journeywest6-00133a.jpg

Part 6

javabeans: We resume with the race to win monk rights (and zapper possession), and now I’m laughing that we made fun of Ji-won last week for being the dummy (insisting that higher altitude resulted in higher temperatures because of sun proximity), because now Seung-gi looks around and marvels at how much this area has advanced. Ji-won: “Did you know what it was like before?” Seung-gi: “Nope.” Ji-won: “Then how do you know if it advanced? What if it was just like this the whole time?” Seung-gi: “Just by looking you can tell, it’s recently advanced.”

girlfriday: It’s so like Ji-won to just pick a fight about it, and even though Seung-gi said the dumb thing, Ji-won sounds dumber in the end by arguing that this town could’ve ALWAYS and FOREVER been this developed. Ho-dong spends the bus ride bugging the passengers across the row with his elementary Chinese, mostly I think just to practice the five phrases that he learned.

Read more there: http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/09/new-journey-to-the-west-episodes-6-10/

Guest sunshineo

NJttW teaser for this Week!!

Unedited Video: HoDong thinks the past tense of CAN is…?

Watch it on naver: ---> http://tvcast.naver.com/v/529444

CO63yY3UAAA7kFw.jpg

Hodong-ah.. ㅋㅋㅋ

Tbh, It remind me to this.. Do they all think the same.. ㅋㅋ

-------------

According to industry insiders, web dramas on Naver usually receive 2 won for each view, but in NJttW’s case, commanding a premium with SeungGi, KHD and Na PD, they might receive over 25 won per view. The ad revenue is divided 50/50 between CJ E&M and Naver.

source: hankooki via nate
English translation: tryp96.wordpress.com

https://tryp96.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/new-journey-to-the-west-preview-4-lee-seung-gi/

So, let's support the original video as much as we can!! :D  Watch it on Naver with VPN or Naver Mediaplayer.. ;)

The recap felt a bit hurried to me and they sounded quite bored by the 2nd week episodes. Aww.. ;;_;;

I agree with the teaser for the 10th clip... it felt anti-climactic to me. Though I understand they're trying to create a template for all episodes to have similar types of teasers, so there's that.

I agree with the recap about the the narrative flow (what we're used to in regular variety shows) are harder to apply here... so it can feel off-beat at times. 

The episodes this week do feel a bit slower though I still enjoyed them nonetheless. I really loved ep 7 where Hodong ordered sandwiches... he looked so cute trying to communicate with the Chinese he knows. 

I wish not too many scenes are being deleted... It's like just when you're about to warm up with the feel of the cilp, you're being directed to a completely different clip with a different scenario.

=====

But yay to NJttW for raking in the monehhh!!! Go go go!!! Yes, let's support this show all the way! The more they succeed, the more content we get!

==

Yes!!! I thought exactly the same thing watching this teaser! And Hodong and Mong even gave exactly the same answer.. LOL is that a common misconception?

Guest sunshineo

So, is it only me who loves Ep. 10 ?

hmm.. maybe I just missing Hodong's snore so much.. lol :P

I've mentioned that I really miss the boys iddle talk before sleep.. so maybe that's the reason. Well, I don't get their "irrational" talk before fall asleep, but it's sweet to hear how Hodong learn Chinese so hard, got a strength to spend more time to study after looking at his son. ^3^

I just love the little simple things in Ep.10, I love how a lot of things has changed, but there's also a lot of things that never changed.. ^^

and I got SeungGi's wake-up moment .. ^3^ So, that is it.. I love Ep.10

About, editing style.. I also hope they can improve it, but I think I already get used to this 10 minutes video concept. It's like when I really miss the boys but didn't have much time to rewatch 1n2d, so I'll go to YouTube and searching their funny and precious moments cut, so I've no problem with the anticlimax.. ^^

----------------------------

They considering for NJttW season2.. :D

SeungGi has 3 months movie filming right now, seems will end around December or early January. Maybe they can have a trip again once more. In Winter season :D  How about the hyungs? anyone know their plan/schedule? It's only take 5 days trip afterall, as long as they can meet the same free time they can go (Though it's not as simple as that :P )

The new episodes already available at Naver..!!

but I still have some trouble to open it...  T_T

Guest sunshineo

Yay.. Problem solved, I can watch it now.. ^^ The episodes really daebak..

New Journey to The West Episodes 11-15!!

NJttW Ep 11 - Xian City Tour! A Sudden Bicycle Race?

Naver: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/533683

NJttW Ep 12 - A Visit Together with Na PD to the Terracotta Warriors!

Naver: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/533659

NJttW Ep 13 - 2nd Dragon Ball Mission! Brand Quiz!

Naver: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/533655

NJttW Ep 14 - 'Low Frequency Massage' Skin Trembling Night!

Naver: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/533528

NJttW Ep 15 - Wake-up Mission! The Culprit in the Disappearing Shoes

Naver: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/533712

Tittle translation credit: LSGfan

Guest sunshineo

BTS Photos : NJttW Chinese Quiz!

DYL8GEw.jpg

상단.png

알만한 사람은 다 안다는

호동이 형아의 쮸빠찌에 사랑

Untitled-4.png

쮸빠찌에 밖에 모를 것 같지만!

실은 신서유기를 위해!!

몇 달간 중국어를 독학했다고 해요!

(오...대단...박수...)

상단.png

이것이 바로!

Untitled-1.png

잠자는 시간까지 쪼개 공부했던

쮸빠찌에 호동의 중국어 노트 흔적!

대.다.나.다

상단.png

그래서 준비했어요.

쮸빠찌에 횽아와 함께하는

초딩 중국어!

3.중국어.png

마지막 장의 퀴즈를 맞추는 3분께는

최고급 여의주 세트를 드립니다.

4.누끼.png

※ 드래곤볼 사진 출처 : 신서유기 3화 中

(자체제작X, *마켓에서 돈 주고 삼)

그럼 시~작!

상단.png

1. 안녕하세요

니 하오!

你好!

사진5.JPG

※ 사진 설명 :

oh oh 인사 중에도 멈출 수 없어 쮸빠찌에 oh oh

네버스탑!

상단.png

2. 나는 저팔계 입니다

워 쓰 쮸빠찌에.

我是 猪八戒.

사진6.jpg

※ 특이사항 : 동작과 함께하면 기쁨이 배가 됨.

35.png

상단.png

3. 실례합니다 (저기요!)

칭원~

请问.

Untitled-7.png

사진7.JPG

※ 사진 설명 : 저기요(칭원~). 이건 얼마예요?

하고 묻는 승기법사.

상단.png

4. 배고파요

으어!

饿.

사진11.JPG

※ 사진 설명 : 배고파(으어!)서

승기가 남긴 음식 주워먹는 지원.

62.png

상단.png

5. 감사합니다.

셰셰.

谢谢.

사진12.jpg

※ 특이사항 : 공손한 동작은 덤!

25.png

상단.png

여기서 퀴즈!

다음 문장을 중국어로 하면 무엇일까요?

정답을 댓글로 남겨주세요.

Untitled-3.png

짱쉽죠?

추첨을 통해 정답자 3분께

최고급 여의주 세트를 드립니다!

4.누끼.png

상단.png

그럼...

오늘도 별 것 없었던 저는

이렇게 물러갑니다.

(별 거 없다고 화내기 없기.....)

사진13.JPG

내일 오전 10시!

네이버캐스트.png에서 단독 공개되는

신서유기_태그로고-1.png 다음 이야기!

많이 기대해주세요!

source: http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=2419086&memberNo=3669297&vType=VERTICAL

YOOOOOOOO I loved today's set of episodes!! All bullets are spoilers.. so just avoid them if you want.. 

• It has all the elements of fun stuff that we love: them being brothers teasing around, the travel, the games...
  • Jiwon taking the camera to shoot hodong and do camera tricks with Seunggi..
  • The guys all trying out the electric massage.. With Hodong finding it relaxing (well now we know it's no lie with the massage purpose..), or PD Na being scared like a baby of the device! Hahaha it was so funny them hanging out in the cafe just like that.
  • So cute how Hodong also gets embarrassed by his own Zhu Bajie dance.. hehehe
  • The brandgame! OMG.. Seunggi with his Diesel answer. Jiwon as the MOM (Man of the Match) with his smart choice of answering K-brands... and Screeeeew baar~! Oh my heart!
  • Them visiting the Terracotta Warriors.. I just remember that from my former history class.. It really puts you in awe, what more seeing it in real life!
  • And that cliffhanger! The thriller on who stole Jiwon's shoes!!! hahahaha Poor choding.. it's so rare seeing him so prepared for the morning mission only for his shoes to get stolen. I think all members' shoes were taken.. (Hodong's was hidden... Seunggi just wore slippers).. but Sugeun's already wearing his sandals while waiting for the mission so there's that too..
  • The guys riding bicycles... hahahaha Seunggi's forehead in full sight.. hahahaha So cute and funny..
  • The quiz with the boys in the car! Jiwon giving Hodong english questions he couldn't answer.. And since he only knows ssireum so he asks Jiwon about it.. And Eun Choding perfects them of course (puh-lease he learned from the Papa Bear himself!).. I bet Hodong felt proud.. :D

================

I downloaded Naver Media Player so I could watch all episodes with no trouble! :D 

Guest sunshineo

When they make Na PD trying the electric message.. I was like " Yes.. Yes!! exterminate the Evil!!" XD bwahaha.. and the evil become a scared cat in front of the device.. XD

CPKN2nmUwAAGWAb.png

------------------------

All Five NJttW new episodes topping Naver TV Cast real time!! NjttW Top 5!!

Guest sunshineo

Bromance all the way~.. *^_^*

CPKZPbXVEAAKMIb.png

CPKZPREUAAAPNWh.png

CPKZOhlUkAQz_hc.png

CPKZPvTVEAAeYR7.png

credit: noni_rk

-----------------------

Naver Hot Topic Keywords: #1 NJttW Lee Seung Gi (as of 5pm KST)

s: dclsg  via tryp96

I was LOLing at mother-in-LA, long mother and side mom!!! I really love Seunggi with these guys because for all his image consciousness, everything falls apart when he's with his hyungs and it just feels right! He spews out a series of correct answers to Hodong's questions (who looked diminished when his questions were easily answered!) and then comes up with mother in la. He knows he's smart but when this bunch comes together their cluelessness rubs off on on Seunggi and we have a long drawn out clueless conversation which I love so much!

Archived