[Variety] New Journey to the West 신서유기 ( tvN x Naver)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sad it ended! Hopefully we'll have news of another season. SeungGi's wish was for NJttW to last for a long long time. He knows he has to leave next year, perhaps he wants the show to continue and for him to rejoin again after his MS.

Finally finished the last of the episodes! I'm really satisfied with the ending despite them not having won the full set of dragon balls. More than anything this show proved as a catharsis for the cast (and crew, I'm certain!), even for Seunggi who is supposed to be the 'least troubled' of the bunch. I agree with the Dramabeans recap of the last part being more interesting than the actual official filmed sequences and yet they remained the same people throughout with no put ons. I wanted to give Jiwon and Seunggi a hug when they were waxing sentimental about their brotherhood and future plans. I want another trip before Seunggi does his military service! I want Jiwon to get his Simpsons Lego house! NaPD make it happen!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

‘New Journey to the West’ season 2 premiers online

Jullie Jung, April 19, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

Cable network tvN’s Web variety show “New Journey to the West” second season premiered Tuesday at 10 a.m. Cohosted by comedians Kang Ho-dong, Lee Soo-keun and Eun Ji-won and model-turned-actor Ahn Jae-hyun, the show revolving around their trip to China will beavailable through Naver TV Cast.

restmb_jhidxmake.php-161.jpeg

Naver TV Cast, which also aired the first season, is an online video streaming service by local search engine provider Naver. Ahn replaces actor Lee Seung-gi, who enlisted in the military February after filming for the first season ended. Lee reportedly recommended Ahn to production staff of the second season. They costarred in SBS action TV series “You’re All Surrounded.”

“The production team thought finding another Lee Seung-gi was virtually impossible,” said Na Young-suk, director of the show. “We rather wanted someone fresh. Then we interviewed Ahn (after Lee talked about him), and we liked his personality.”

The second season is not a Web-exclusive, in contrast to the first season. It is set to be aired on the small screen through tvN on Thursdays at 9:45 p.m.

http://www.koogle.tv/media/news/new-journey-to-the-west-season-2-premiers-online/

Na’s ‘New Journey’ kicks off today

Popular program begins anew, this time spanning TV and online platforms

Apr 19,2016

18202759.jpg
“New Journey to the West 2 - Unlimited” stars, from left, Eun Ji-won, Kang Ho-dong, Lee Soo-geun and new cast member Ahn Jae-hyun. [CJ E&M]

Na Young-seok’s web-based variety show “New Journey to the West” is returning with a second season, equipped with a new cast member, new destination and new system for airing episodes. 

Under the subtitle “Unlimited,” the second season of the show will take the audience to the heart of Chengdu, the capital city of China’s Sichuan province, best known for spicy cuisine.

But above all, the biggest difference will be a change of cast members, with Lee Seung-gi having left to join the Army and model-turned-actor Ahn Jae-hyun joining the team.

Since the original four cast members - Kang Ho-dong, Lee Soo-geun, Eun Ji-won and Lee Seung-gi - had been appearing on TV together since Na’s previous show, “Two Days, One Night” (2007-12), the updated cast will certainly be refreshing and at the same time a bold move for both the producer and stars.

“I thought finding someone who can replace Seung-gi, who had been working with us for almost 10 years, was impossible,” producer Na said at a recent press conference in Seoul.

“Then I thought of Ahn Jae-hyun, whom Seung-gi had mentioned in the past as a nice candidate for a reality show. I thought his face was very fresh, as he hadn’t appeared on many variety shows before. I took a risk for sure, but he had the right mind to travel with us. I cast him expecting something totally different from Seung-gi.”

Ahn is one of the hottest up-and-coming actors at the moment, best known for his sidekick role in the megahit drama “My Love From the Star” (2013-14). 

The 29-year-old recently made headlines with a surprise marriage announcement with actress and co-star Ku Hye-sun.

“I didn’t think I could fill Seung-gi’s vacancy, so I constantly thought about what I could demonstrate on the show,” Ahn said. “I was so stressed that I lost 1 kilogram [2 pounds] before taking off on the journey and another 3 kilograms while filming.

“But, other colleagues kept encouraging me, saying that the character of me and Seung-gi are completely different, so I should not feel pressured,” he added.

Another difference comes from the distribution system, where the first season relied solely on the Internet platform, while the upcoming season will air on TV networks as well. The producers explained that using both platforms is meant to cater to older viewers who cannot easily access Internet channels.

“The web version will focus more on separate episodes and include subculture such as slang,” Na explained. “On the other hand, the TV version, which targets those in their 40s and 50s, will be more about storytelling.”

However, the producer also admitted that broadcasting the show solely through the Internet caused financial problems, as it wasn’t able to generate enough profit.

Na compared web-based variety shows to electric vehicles. “It is the path we eventually have to take in the future, but using that as the sole medium for transportation requires a lot of resources that we don’t have enough of yet. So in the meantime, we are using both mediums and also something in the middle which can be compared to a hybrid car.”

Episodes of “New Journey to the West 2 ? Unlimited” will be uploaded on Internet platforms including tving, Naver TV Cast and Kakao TV on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. for eight weeks, starting today. The TV version will air on Fridays at 9:45 p.m. starting this week on cable channel tvN. 

“New Journey to the West” is a rough adaptation of the Chinese classic “Journey to the West,” in which the four cast members play the four main characters featured in the novel. 

The first season of the show garnered an accumulated 50 million views on domestic portals.

BY JIN EUN-SOO [jin.eunsoo@joongang.co.kr]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted badly to like this new season of NJTTW but the only updates I read are about Ahn Jaehyun's relationship and nothing about the actual show. Theirs is a unique relationship and I wish the best for their married life. However I wish I could say I understood which direction NaPD and team is trying to take this show.

• 4 months later...

Variety Show

New Journey to The West

"Real Makjang Action Adventure"

신서유기

Title New Journey to The West 

Hangul: 신서유기 
                                    Director: Shin Hyo-jung ,Na young-seok 

Writer: Lee Woo-jung       

Genre: Travel+Game Variety Show         

Network: tvN (tvN Internet Digital Contents via Naver TVCast)

Image result for new journey to west season 2 poster

• 5 weeks later...

NJTW3 shooting at   Guilin, Yanshan

Information about Guilin according to fan on weibo

Guilin is really the United States, every hill, every tree is beautiful, the food is delicious, people are kind, suitable for living.But I would like to Tucao the road, a little broken, local authorities want a good deal, tourism economy should be taken from the people giving back to people not, you want to get better and better Guilin

76d3aecbgw1fa4697uk8aj20ku112n4f.jpg

005XAbsSgw1fa3nf582hmj30f00fhdho.jpg

005XAbsSgw1fa3nfd1i97j30u00u077k.jpg

Spoiler

c73f72e4gw1fa4p7m84tnj20go0m840k.jpg

Spoiler

c73f72e4gw1fa4p7n4bomj20k00qomz7.jpg

Spoiler

c73f72e4gw1fa4p7nqyutj20k00msq57.jpg

I am wondering what character   Eun ji won is playing with this green wig :P 

Guest pink_dolphins

Yehey! Season 3 will start soon! Just like 3mad i'm faithfully watching this also since s.1. I'm sooooooo looking forward to watch this. But im not sure with the new additional members though... What i liked about less members is their interaction with each other. Anyway in Na PD i trust... :blush: so be it.

Archived