Study Abroad In Korea?

little mixed girl

Guest .SOUJIRO^

Lots of helpful info here!!

I am currently applying for study abroad at Yonsei Spring '07.

A part of the application requires your to write a 250 or more words "study plan". I wondering what they mean by that. Are they asking you to state what units you intend to take while at Yonsei?? OR Are they asking about you to write what you hope to gain from the study abroad program?? OR BOTH??

:unsure:

Did you guys have to this when you applied??

Ohh and another question is on medical insurance. Do they require you to purchase an isurance plan offered by a Korean insurance company or can it be from your home country??

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest luvxholic

would it be possible to take classes at yonsei during the summer and have an internship as well?? are there a lot of work involved for the classes? i'm thinking about going to the UC yonsei program next summer...but i want to have an internship as well.

• 2 months later...
Guest yuppieguppy

does anyone know when we should start applying for the summer 2007 yonsei program?

oooh another question....do alot of seniors go on this as well or am i going to be an oldie.??

Guest minwoogrl

Is there anyone who is non-korean studying abroad? It's a bit intimidating to be in place where you don't know anyone. And reading from the replies about american koreans and non-koreans being treated different is even less appealing. I really want to study in korea but now I feel intimidated to go. :unsure:

Do you HAVE to know some korean before you go?

^dont go to somewhere like "yonsei univ"

there are a lot of other really good colleges in korea...

like hankuk university of foriegn studies... these kind of schools will have more international people

yonsei dae (and koryo) is like typical korean college life...

Guest Skeptrix

try looking into Soonchunhyang University's Spring/Fall (or both) Study Abroad/Internship Program

they offer a program that lets you live/study/learn korean & the culture while "interning" for like 15 hours a week, which usually ends up to be socials outside of class. they waive your airfare (~$800), your living quarters, and pay up to $125 every week as a stipend. oh, and did i mention there's a mini-bar in the newly-built dormitories? :D

do a google search on it, or perhaps your university already offers the program there!

Guest xXSJloveXx

Wow is Yonsei the only good ones here, because everyone seems to be talking about .

Does anyone else might have a suggestion for any other colleges that accept international student programs like that??

Guest Kut3Essence

hey i am using my sister name

i am from nc and i was thinking about going there to study like for a yr and come back the college do they speak english and wat do they teach or wat they make us do can some help and anser the question for me thanx in advance

Guest hunnibunni

anyone can pm me with yonsei application process for the spring 2007 if they want..i was accepted to the spring 07 program so ive already been through it..but i decided to go to korea university's spring 2007 semester instead bc they have better liberal arts courses (that i need credits for)..anyone else going to koryo spring 2007? :)

Guest jihye87

try looking into Soonchunhyang University's Spring/Fall (or both) Study Abroad/Internship Program

they offer a program that lets you live/study/learn korean & the culture while "interning" for like 15 hours a week, which usually ends up to be socials outside of class. they waive your airfare (~$800), your living quarters, and pay up to $125 every week as a stipend. oh, and did i mention there's a mini-bar in the newly-built dormitories? :D

do a google search on it, or perhaps your university already offers the program there!

wow .. i was at the site and i thought of applying it for my long summer hols next year but they only offer spring fall .. hmmmm ... ar ..

Guest Sahithi

I am wondering does anyone know about KyungHee University? I am palaning on going there. and personaly I am kind of scared since I am not Korean...haha. Anyone can help?

I'm Filipino and I live in the states. I'd like to get the chance to study in Korea so I can get more cultural experience for architecture. See how people live, see how the architecture there is and what-not =). Not sure if filipinos are accepted in korea or whatnot?

Uhh, just curious on how much it costs for like a quarter or a year.

Going and studying in korea is one of my life long goal. But it seem like the university that I am going to doesn't have an abroad program to korea is there any other way? I might have to transfer or switch the university of my choice to just go to Korea...-_-. I'm Currently still in highschool, so if I am graduating thsi year and attending university or college, will I still be able to go or attend an abroad program in Korea?

I absolutly have no clue about the korean language, is it hard learning korean? in 10 months? will in that 10 months of studying korean, will I know enough to get through a day in korea? I'm quite scared!!! I learn a language very fast, if I was placed in a sitiutation or a enivroment of korean speaking people.

Going and studying in korea is one of my life long goal. But it seem like the university that I am going to doesn't have an abroad program to korea is there any other way? I might have to transfer or switch the university of my choice to just go to Korea...-_-. I'm Currently still in highschool, so if I am graduating thsi year and attending university or college, will I still be able to go or attend an abroad program in Korea?

I absolutly have no clue about the korean language, is it hard learning korean? in 10 months? will in that 10 months of studying korean, will I know enough to get through a day in korea? I'm quite scared!!! I learn a language very fast, if I was placed in a sitiutation or a enivroment of korean speaking people.

Most schools only allow sophomores and juniors because they want you to finish certain amount of hours before going. If you already have a lot of college credits already then they could make an exception, but I doubt it.

If you are willing to put everything into it (not literally), then ya you can learn it.

Guest LoH_Ter

Hmmm, ok guys, about the fear of segregation.... I wouldn't be scared off because of that. It's like no matter where you go, you're probably going to experience it. Like in the United States. A lot of international students come here on "study abroad" programs. They tend to make cliques themselves, based on their nationality. I think its a very unfortuanate yet natural tendency for people... And, remember, this is NOT inevitable by any means... it's how much you're willing to put yourself out there, and everyone you encounter is different. So don't let this tendency to form "cliques" be the deciding factor... I mean, it happens almost everyone, and for some (or maybe a lot) of people, it may not happen at all.

Has anyone gone to korea to study abroad just for the summer and have credits transfer back?

I am needing a upper gen ed course. I went to a lot of the different school websites, but I am seeing more korean langauge learning summer programs then actual courses.

Edit:

I found the regular courses available for summer international students, and I am wondering if anyone is currently or have been through some of these general courses. I was wanting some input. Most places are stating that the lectures are all taught in english, and I am wondering about the difficulty level in some of these courses.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in Yonsei's Summer Special Program right now, and honestly, it's great. I'm actually learning a lot, but only because I choose to. There are people who just come to enjoy and play around in Korea, but you can do that while studying in the program. Classes are only from 9 AM to 1 PM, and depending on what special activity you're signed up for, 2 or 3 days of the week will end around 4 PM. So far I met tons of people, and it's just damn fun. I've already made friends that I'll keep in touch with for life. What I just said sounds corny to me, but whatever. =D

And do you have to do the activities?

Guest .SOUJIRO^

For those that have studied abroad in Korea already, roughly how much did you guys spend a semester??

I've got an estimated budget for one semester at Yonsei:

1)Housing 1,200

2)Meals 1,600

3)Books 300

4)Personal Expenses 1,000

= TOTAL (USD) 4,100

Are these numbers close to amount you guys spent??? :unsure:

For those that have studied abroad in Korea already, roughly how much did you guys spend a semester??

I've got an estimated budget for one semester at Yonsei:

1)Housing 1,200

2)Meals 1,600

3)Books 300

4)Personal Expenses 1,000

= TOTAL (USD) 4,100

Are these numbers close to amount you guys spent??? :unsure:

Plane ticket

Guest .SOUJIRO^

Plane ticket

I didn't include all the pre-departure costs such as plane tickets, travel insurance and visa applications etc....

I am just wondering if the estimates I got from Yonsei is a good guide.. Are they reliable?/