Study Abroad In Korea?

little mixed girl

Guest littoOhri

try looking into Soonchunhyang University's Spring/Fall (or both) Study Abroad/Internship Program

they offer a program that lets you live/study/learn korean & the culture while "interning" for like 15 hours a week, which usually ends up to be socials outside of class. they waive your airfare (~$800), your living quarters, and pay up to $125 every week as a stipend. oh, and did i mention there's a mini-bar in the newly-built dormitories? :D

do a google search on it, or perhaps your university already offers the program there!

hey i was planning on going to sch cuz the only korean university my school's affiliated with is that place..lol i heard it's in the middle of nowhere..but they do offer alot of benefits. ^^ i wanna go next year and i have some questions about it:

1. what kind of classes can i take besides cultural electives?

2. is the campus friendly?

3. should i bring my laptop?

4. what do college kids do for fun there

5. is the downtown decent?

6. are any of the classes taught in english?

7. how are the dorms?

=D thanks in advance

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LoH_Ter

Hey, little mixed girl, about how much did you spend total (including EVERYTHING) and how much financial aid were you able to get? Did you apply for scholarships?

Guest losborrachos

anyone can pm me with yonsei application process for the spring 2007 if they want..i was accepted to the spring 07 program so ive already been through it..but i decided to go to korea university's spring 2007 semester instead bc they have better liberal arts courses (that i need credits for)..anyone else going to koryo spring 2007? :)

i'm considering that program actually... it's true they have better liberal arts courses that count into graduation as opposed to yonsei... it depends on whether i get accepted into my school's study abroad program in spain... if not this year i might go 2008 :unsure:

Hey, little mixed girl, about how much did you spend total (including EVERYTHING) and how much financial aid were you able to get? Did you apply for scholarships?

i got financial aid from my school in the form of loans and scholarships.

it was about $6,000 or so, and it cuts it pretty close.

the dorm fee is about $500

then the plane ticket was $1,050 ish.

then i had to buy things, that took up money.

for books...the korean books were like $10-30ish.

for the non-korean language classes, we did use a lot of print outs, and those were maybe $10-20.

my school charges a fee for study abroad programs, and that was about $800.

yonsei's fee was like...$2000 i think? so i was left with about $1000 of spending money.

that's kinda enough...

it depends on how much partying you want to do, what kind of foods you want to eat, etc.

but when i went the exchange rate was a lot better...like 1,300won to $1.

when i went last summer it was like 931won to $1...i almost cried.

most of the other ppl that went got extra spending money from their parents...and if they were korean-americans they got spending money from their relatives.

this was the summer program, i don't know about the winter/fall program.

if you're parents are rich, then they can probably give you a few hundred dollars on top of the financial aid spending money.

if you have relatives in korea, then they'll probably give you spending money too.

Guest missmayleecha

I went through this whole thread and I didn't find much on EWHA Woman University...

I was thinking about going there fall 2007...So I would like to know if this is a good university overall.

I don't want to waste my time to go there and have it be shitty. Please pm or something to let me know more about EWHA.

Guest luvxholic

i'm planning to go to yonsei in 2008 for a semester or year...as far as i know from my school's estimate for a year it costs about 13,000 including dorms/airfare/personal expenses...ekk so much

Guest LoH_Ter

Thanks little mixed girl!

Few more questions.

On the application, it asks you to put whose going to pay for your time abroad. Do you just put scholarships and financial aid, or your own name? @.@

HELP!

I'm not korean... and I don't know a single thing about speaking or writing it. Is it going to be a HUGE problem if I choose a Korean Uni for exchange?

Thanks little mixed girl!

Few more questions.

On the application, it asks you to put whose going to pay for your time abroad. Do you just put scholarships and financial aid, or your own name? @.@

is that the yonsei application?

i don't remember that, but if it was there, i think i listed the scholarships/loans that i got.

HELP!

I'm not korean... and I don't know a single thing about speaking or writing it. Is it going to be a HUGE problem if I choose a Korean Uni for exchange?

you don't need to know korean for the yonsei program, and i assume it's the same for other universities.

the purpose is not for ppl to take classes in korean, it's for foreigners to get exposed to korea while going to class.

the only time you might use korean in the uni is if you took a korean language class.

i don't know about your schools but when you go on exchange (say with yonsei) do you still have to pay tuition to your own school? my University does that and i'm sort of deciding weather to go or not because it seems kind of expensive. plust you need tickets and housing..etc

hmm i didn't get the chance to read the entire thread but I am planning on going to Yonsei for a semester. Does anyone know like the lowest GPA of a person that got accepted? I know the thing on the Yonsei websites says 2.8 but I feel like if everyone that applies has higher than that they will have higher standards? LOL ~~

I'm now kind of getting scared of the toilet thing that someone mentioned in the first page haha....

I will be going with a friend (hopefully) we'll be attending the same school ~ it'll either be Yonsei or Korea University....but hopefully we can make friends with people there, we're both not Korean but the two of us are very familiar with Korean entertainment ~hence being @ soompi lol...well if we dont' make any friends we have a friend in Korea hahaha...

Anyone know anything about the Korea University semester abroad program?

• 1 month later...

Oh god, I'm turning in my application for Yonsei tomorrow. I'm sooooo paranoid I might've done something wrong. This is like my one chance to study abroad because I'll probably have to look for a job/internship the next summer, and since I'm a math major I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to do an academic year/semester abroad.

Anybody else applying?

Guest kaero_ssi

I'm actually thinking of applying to SNU next year but I never been to South Korea nor am I korean so, I'm thinking of traveling to Seoul this summer after I graduate from high school. Try living on my own in foreign place for a month or two. And to see if I can survive. But after reading many comments and ideas in this topic, I have to reconsider my decision because I'm non-korean but asian.

It's quite hard to believe what people say about SNU, the horrible conditions, teachers, and all that. I mean, SNU is one of the sky universities and number 1 ranking university of South Korea. I just can't imagine SNU being like that at all. (sigh)

Guest kagero_tanaka

try looking into Soonchunhyang University's Spring/Fall (or both) Study Abroad/Internship Program

they offer a program that lets you live/study/learn korean & the culture while "interning" for like 15 hours a week, which usually ends up to be socials outside of class. they waive your airfare (~$800), your living quarters, and pay up to $125 every week as a stipend. oh, and did i mention there's a mini-bar in the newly-built dormitories? :D

do a google search on it, or perhaps your university already offers the program there!

mmmph, I mentioned this school, at the beginning of this thread :)

Anywho, I attended the mentioned school "Soonchunhyang" this pass Fall semester 06.

Everything mentioned above is accurate!

I am still currently living in Sk, Seoul to be specific.

I can try and help out anyone...althrough I don't think that I can help that much cause it seems like everyone is sticking to going to school in Seoul.

Don't get my wrong I love Seoul...I really do, but at the sametime, soonchunhyang is located out in the country its not the best place, but it certainly is very scenic, and the mountains and the air is a hella of a alot cleaner. You can always hop on a bus and go shopping in the next town, or catch the train into Seoul.

I like the SCH because everything I needed was right in the 5 minute vincity of the school.

BTW, I am not Korean or Asian.... I am african-american from Texas so I had some pretty interesting expriences this past semester :)

Guest omintakamuiahno

I am planning on going to Yonsei for Spring 2008. Alot of this info really helped. But I was applying through the USAC...does anyone know anything about that? I still have to make my deposit and stuff, but I want to make sure it's all good before putting out money. My college unfortunately has no study abroad programs anywhere in Asia, so I have to pay out of my pocket =/