Six Flying Dragons: Episode 20

by HeadsNo2 (drama beans)
sixdragons20-00344-2.jpg
IT’S SO GOOD. It’s just so good. If this keeps up I’m going to have to find more inventive superlatives to keep from sounding like a broken record up here, but to say anything butthe fact that this episode is a masterpiece in and of itself would be false. Saying it’s the best episode yet would get us a little bit closer, or alternatively, that we’re still firing on all cylinders twenty episodes in. I’d add that it doesn’t show any signs of slowing either, but since I don’t want the drama gods to smite me, I won’t.
to read more:
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, homura said:

Hmm, in the history, King Taejong (Yi Bang-Won) and Queen Wongyeong (Lady Min) are notorious for a couple like enemies. Of course, they had been excellent political partners until they get to the throne. However, no sooner had he become a king, he accepted as many concubines as possible as if he implied that Min clan was nothing to him. He even tried to depose her, but ended in failure. Instead, he killed her brothers. King Taejong's first son, Prince Yangnyeong, ended up being deposed because the king thought he was too close to his maternal uncles. The queen was miserable in her latter years. I guess that's why the writing team didn't choose her as one of the six dragons, even though she was the mother of the greatest Korean king ever.

Their relationships remind me of an old Hollywood movie The Lion In Winter (1968) starring Peter O'Toole (as King Henry II) and Katharine Hepburn (as Duchess Eleanor of Aquitaine). I saw the movie on TV in my childhood, but the couple's love and hatred toward each other still remain in my memory.

I am happy that you mentioned the movie "The Lion in Winter". If the writers were to feature Lady Min as Eleanor this will elevate the drama more than it is already is. I would love to see Lady Min go head to head with Bang Won and wit for wit with his lady  love which already started in 19 but also show the emotional turmoil and conflict she goes through as a mother and a political partner . That will actually feature the humanity of women. that is why many of us are drawn to YH. I think in many ways, BY is just too perfect. I would like to see her emotional side too, how she is conflicted about her love for BW and her duty to her villagers, her personal and emotional desires and choices. I don;t want to see her as Joan of Arc or Mother Theresa. I want to see her emotionally conflicted too. I understand if the viewers were to discuss the roles of both women and even critique and debate their roles as Lady Min and Boon Yi because it is related to story. I just don't understand bashing personally of any actor.

• Like 4

If all I had watched was the last 10 or so minutes of episode 20 I would have still considered it one on the most inspiring episodes thus far. MH's actor not only captured the emotions of the character but he captured mine as well.  He not only became a dragon in this episode he earned his wings. It was like seeing a beautiful painting so many different strokes yet together it allowed you to see & feel & capture you.  I am not sure if it was the rain or the armor or the soldiers tied up on their knees it drew you in and kept you there.  Was it seeing the courage of LSG's son & MH lay down their swords and their lives that were covered in water?  Was it the humble cry of the farmer who just wanted to go home because he never chose or wanted to go to war? Was it seeing LSG's heart breaking in two being asked to choose between love of family or love of country and it's people.  Or was it the reminder of seeing those soldiers tied up that spoke most loudly.  For it is not soldiers who desire war but most of the time those who never see battle.  My last thought was that LSG was not week at the start he knew while writing the note to JDJ what in fact could happen and stated he would choose family although he was sorry.  He knew there would be no victory for everything he told the king happened.  In a way he was laying his own life down for those he loved by picking the horse he did.  He just didn't realize until the very end of this episode that the love & safety of his family should not be paid for by the blood of so many others.

hi guys,

already watched ep 19 & 20 and i think ep 20 got better directing view especially the last 10 minutes. Awesome, kind of remind me why i keep watching this drama.

poor our boon yi got bashed by netizens while in fact the character was specifically created by the screenwriter for shin se kyung. i also agree yoomi is just getting prettier by each episode. i just hope bangji will kill that hong in bang's servant pleaseeeee

im not really keen to the character lady min. the acting is not that convincing or maybe it's just that the character was written to be like that. i know the actress got a very large fanbase because of wgm - as much as im not enjoying the show anymore for years but most of tweets with #sixflyingdragons belongs to the actress fan

and pity to all cast now they have to do live shooting.....

two questions here,

1- is ep 19 really the first appearance of lady kang? i thought in previous episode where boonyi first came to hamju the moment lee sung gye saw her, there was a woman who stand out among the slaves/commoners and she looks like the actress who potrays lady kang or am i mistakenly wrong actually she was a different person? because i also doubt she is lady kang as from the great seer the way king taejo met lady kang is quite different and she is from noble family somemore

2- anyone here watching from channel OneHD? i noticed the translation quite different between from oneHD and from fansub which we can get online (dramagalaxy.com or is it from viki actually?) which one is better in term of translation and conveying the meaning? as much as i love the drama, it's kinda difficult to understand thats why i keep coming to this thread to get better understanding of the drama. thanks.

got this from the tv ad regarding the six dragons and it's kinda intriguing

Lee Bang won - justice

Jeong do jeon - duty

lee seung gye - honour

boon yi - compassion

lee bang ji - courage

moo hyul - loyalty

• Like 7

3 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

I am not sure if it was the rain or the armor or the soldiers tied up on their knees it drew you in and kept you there.  Was it seeing the courage of LSG's son & MH lay down their swords and their lives that were covered in water?  Was it the humble cry of the farmer who just wanted to go home because he never chose or wanted to go to war?

(i always need time to process)

i think LSG is a bit of a softy - the flash back that was made to the "japanese" farmer and to me the flash back of those "traitors" in the camp begging with BY you could always see how much he cared about the ppl

and how much of a softy he is - i agree with ppl here saying he has to be 100% sure - LSG knows his decisions carry the life of other and although he said his family is always his first priority his shown through the drama that he really care about the ppl and in that really deserve the title king and JDJ made a right decision in choosing the first king - to create a new kindome\nation you dont need only a king but you need followers as well as in citizen and it is obvious that the ppl believe in LSG telling him their reasons mean they believe he would listen which for the ppl is the first most important think in a king a listener

i think for MH throwing his sword is the first time he made his own decision - something clicked in his head and he became a dragon with his own conviction still i would want to see an episode with MH the 6th dragon at the end - he deserves it

• Like 3

BTW did some here knows about the chinese "white horse"? is it connected to the white horse black horse?

was there a specific reason for that? 

and @homura i wondered as i saw that map - is the geography is the same as it was then - i mean did the film in the same place? is everything is the same geographically? 

• Like 2

@natokajun interesting that you said you think LK was there bf since i also had a flash back to that scene when all the soldiers begged LSG

it was as if they are making another agreement as with those at the camp to be made his spear (i think it was) in his way to become a king 

leader and followers 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nevill said:

and @homura i wondered as i saw that map - is the geography is the same as it was then - i mean did the film in the same place? is everything is the same geographically? 

What do you mean? The geography is the same. I wrote the current name of the city in white color on the map. For example, Seoul was Namgyung (meaning "the southern capital") and Pyongyang was Seogyung (meaning "the western capital") back then. Unfortunately, Wihwa Island, Gaegyung (the capital). Seogyung (where YSG's two eldest sons are detained), Hamju (YSG's military base)... all of these places are in North Korea right now. Ordinary South Koreans can't go there except for a few businessmen and politicians.  It is illegal.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, homura said:

What do you mean? The geography is the same. I wrote the current name of the city in white color on the map. For example, Seoul was Namgyung (meaning "the southern capital") and Pyongyang was Seogyung (meaning "the western capital") back then. Unfortunately, Wihwa Island, Gaegyung (the capital). Seogyung (where YSG's two eldest sons are detained), Hamju (YSG's military base)... all of these places are in North Korea right now. Ordinary South Koreans can't go there except for a few businessmen and politicians.  It is illegal.

i mean in some places - in my country the rivers and landscape change have changed through the centuries - not the cities the land itself? would they hav gone through the same journey

in my country where once was a big river its now a wadi sort of vally  

• Like 3