King Taejong is considered was one of the charismatic leaders by the people of South Korea? Is that really true?

His name came up when they mentioned Syngman Rhee, the first autocratic President of Republic of Korea.His family's lineage traced back to King Taejon of Joseon.

• Like 3

Finally had the chance to watch episode 20 with eng sub. Superb!!! I think its one of the best episodes to date. everyone was amazing. i was so moved by the ending. MH has grown so much, proud of our dragon! YSG, still my favorite dragon.

• Like 5

Episode 20 Fact Check

tumblr_inline_nz6jp947W01s5yhgo_540.jpg

“A White horse vs. a Black horse” part is a fiction.

There is no historical evidence that Yi Seong-Gye secretly prepared for a military coup before the Liaodong expedition. Most historians believe that his Wihwa Island Retreat was accidental.

tumblr_inline_nz6jpmwa9N1s5yhgo_540.jpg

Bang-Won and Bang-Ji were not drafted. Why?

Goryeo’s caste system roughly consists of 5 classes :

• King
  • Nobility (high-level officials) : Bang-Won’s family, Jung Do-Jeon
  • Middle class (lowly bureaucrats)
  • Free commoners (farmers, merchants) : Moo-Hyul, Boon-Yi
  • Lowest class (slaves, entertainers, rowers) : Bang-Ji

Only free commoners like Moo-Hyul and his brothers were liable for forced conscription. Others were not. Bang-Won is a noble man (In the history, he was already a government official in 1388). Bang-Ji is a wandering entertainer which belongs to the lowest class of the society. Maybe, Bang-Ji is being regarded as a servant working for Jung Do-Jeon? I’m not sure about that.

tumblr_inline_nz6jq3jJ7r1s5yhgo_540.jpg

Did Choi Young really take Yi Seong-Gye’s family hostage?

It is half history and half fiction. Choi Young had every intention of doing so and actually attempted to do it when he heard of General Yi’s military coup. However, it ended in failure even before any action was taken, because Yi Bang-Won smell a rat and evacuated General Yi’s family. In addition, Bang-Woo and Bang-Gwa rapidly escaped the king’s hunting camp and ran to their father. I guess this story will be unfolded in episode 21 and 22.

tumblr_inline_nz6kijVP3o1s5yhgo_540.jpg

How accurate are the descriptions of Wihwa island retreat in Ep. 20?

Quite accurate except for the snow in summer rainy season. (Blame Elsa for sudden snow, haha!)

Some emotional scenes related to the fictional characters like Moo-Hyul and Choong-Gil are a ficion, but the flow of the events is quite faithful to the historical facts. For example, these are historically true. 

• Yi Seong-Gye’s 4 reasons why they should not go to war
  • Yi Seong-Gye’s army stranded on Wihwa Island due to increased water in Amnok river from heavy rain.
  • Yi Seong-Gye’s sons restrained in the king’s camp around Seogyung
  • Hundreds of soldiers dying in the process of driving a stake in the river to put a floating bridge
  • Choi Young’s constant urge to cross the river despite of Yi Seong-Gye’s desperate messages
  • Finally, Yi Seong-Gye’s arrest of Choi Young’s messenger Kim Wan.

tumblr_inline_nz6jruD22J1s5yhgo_540.jpg

Why couldn’t Choi Young stop Yi Seong-Gye’s military coup?

While Yi Seong-Gye and Jo Min-Soo were stranded in Wihwa Island with 50,000 soldiers, Japanese pirates started to plunder the southern part of the kingdom. King U and Choi Young had to send their remaining troops to the South. That’s one of the reasons why they couldn’t stop Yi Seong-Gye’s military coup effectively.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, shirayukihime said:

Guys, what do you think will happen if the one that died during the first strife of the prince was Bang won?? What do you think will happen to Joseon? Do you think JDJ's plan will become successful?

talk about raising the dead  - bf i became more of a fan of BW i was all for JDJ and was educated here in this forum about puppet kings and how important it was to have astrong king more than educated nobles

my personal philosophy goes against kings 

if JDJ wanted to make a king just an ambassador have no power in decision making

if the ministers had to prove themselves by taking test (did in fact happen - Homura explained bf)

if each faction of the governing was under another faction judgment (JDJ scheme)

if they could have served only a limited time and their position cannot be hand down (which was implemented during Joseon  right Homura?)

if ministers were elected (BY point in what about the part of the ppl in the scheme JDJ draw) 

then i for one think it would have become a  great nation and would have succeeded you dont need a king or a title to be a great leader 

anything else is a matter of luck 

BUT there wouldnt be Hangul - maybe something else but not Hangul

• Like 4

Guest rainmoon
14 minutes ago, nevill said:

thanx @rainmoon so great to see PHK so popular - always liked him

waiting for his cosmetic commercial 

same ... his a very good actor, versatile. His character in Secret Love Affair is night and day from GTM.

Teacher Hong DaeHong