@homura i would have to disagree withyou on the direction of 20 ep

i felt it moved away a bit from the movie feel and   - at least to me - a more conservative directing

which im not a fan - to me without understanding the words this episode didnt hold my attention as the others  - i didnt know why till your post 

till the going to war act

@zenya22  i didnt even think about the how BY is BW weakness which is so true and we will probably see more of in the next ep

i wonder if being the sister of the best swordsman will be in her favor or not

• Like 1

So far do we know yet the name of the secret society that is more powerful than YIG or JDJ? They have been around for a long time then... As far as the directing feels on Epi 20, I have to agree with @nevill. The way the characters delivered their lines were very good but a bit lacking on the cinematography...still I love this drama.

• Like 2

Hmm... To me, episdoe 19 was one of the worst episodes ever. Actually, Korean internet flooded with bashing about Boon-Yi character, the writing team, and the diector after ep 19 was aired. However, after Ep 20, all the blames were gone. Of course, some K-netizens are still bashing about the writers' interpretation of General Choi Young, but overall, it is getting praises from viewers as well as critics. 

As for the cinematography, I agree with you all. It is inevitable because they are shooting the historical event happening in summer Monsoon season in real time (winter) right now. But I felt that the editing or the timing of background music got much better than before.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, homura said:

Hmm... To me, episdoe 19 was one of the worst episodes ever. Actually, Korean internet flooded with bashing about Boon-Yi character, the writing team, and the diector after ep 19 was aired. However, after Ep 20, all the blames were gone. Of course, some K-netizens are still bashing about the writers' interpretation of General Choi Young, but overall, it is getting praises from viewers as well as critics. 

Having limited knowledge of Korean history, personally I can't comment much about what General Choi Young was like...His true character... and of course having so many new characters being introduced/added to the scenes made it a bit hard to understand the whole story, as if you don't know which scene was much more important than the others. But I have to admit that the writers are trying to make a strong character out of Boon Yi but some of the scenes were not necessary at all. For example, disguising herself and went to the temple. 

Sure hope the rating and the direction of 6FD improve for the upcoming and the remaining episodes as well. 

• Like 1

im so scared that they will make BY a weak and not major character - they even joked in ep 19 which i loved

"that even BY is strong" im so worried  - is it wrong for a commoner woman to lead the men? 

5 minutes ago, mjang said:

But I have to admit that the writers are trying to make a strong character out of Boon Yi but some of the scenes were not necessary at all. For example, disguising herself and went to the temple. 

i do think it was necessary since they went to the same storage BY was in using the same tactic BW used bf to save her

she knew that it was empty bf and now full of boxes 

and as @zenya22 now the monk knows BY is BW weakness whoch can help move a plot if necessary 

• Like 2

Six Flying Dragons: Episode 19

by HeadsNo2 (drama beans)
sixdragons19-00212_2.jpg
When the grown-ups are away, the kids will play. Bang-won’s father ends up on an unwanted male bonding trip, which means it’s up to him, his loyal bodyguard, and the people’s general to solve a crime that manages to tie itself into the overarching plot line at hand—which can be boiled down to the simple fact that older men are never up to any good in Goryeo. Actually, no one ever seems up to any good in Goryeo, and that’s the kind of world our intrepid heroes hope to someday fix. And with any luck, maybe they will.
to read more:
  • Like 4

Spoiler

and what worries ne the most is that it seems that the young generation of females in korea dont think they can command man and be the dominant part and have to always take the back seat for the men to rule

which really worries me 

to me BY is the most related and represent the women in my country the most

its so funny- that in most english speaking sites BY is becoming one of the favorite female characters

also is referred to as General BY im wondering what is the different in outlook of korean viewers and foreigners to have such a different point of view

and the reason im so worried is they take it out on the actress - SSK has made her IG private it means although they bash BY (not really understanding why)

they take it out on the actress  

• Like 3

I can see that the direction the writers are taking is leaning towards strong female characters. Personally, people should concentrate more on the characters instead of the actresses who portrayed the characters. I really don't understand why people think BY do not deserve to be one of the dragons. Her fight is for the farmers/villagers or the people with lower status in the society... but she made her voice heard. They are trying to build a new better nation and I'm sure she has nothing to lose. 

But to attack or bash SSK for this matter is uncalled for. Though I am not an avid fan of SSK but I respect her as an actress (in fact, the whole cast/crew have put in a lot of effort & work so hard for this drama). Hope she'll remain strong. 

• Like 4

i agree and i was so happy they made BY so strong regardless of trauma and upbringing and in ep 19 it was mention a couple of times how she is amazing and strong - by BW MH & HDH 

and in ep 20 we barely seen her - i know that in alot of ep bf she wasnt that prominent but i fear that the bashing - since its a known fact they change the script according to netizan - she will become secondary and just a follower of BW 

i like that they made him follow her, why is it unacceptable? bc he was king?

his story is also a fiction he was never in cahoots with JDJ and was only an aider of his father at this point in history  - so its ok to change BW but not to add astrong General like female?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, homura said:

I myself think they were trying too much to make Boon Yi as an important dragon. I like a strong female character but her as a general does not feel natural. And when the teacher said "Boon Yi is also strong" It feels a lil bit forced to me. Maybe it's just me.

I'm glad no criticism in ep.20 though...

• Like 2

Guest srainy .
24 minutes ago, nevill said:

i agree and i was so happy they made BY so strong regardless of trauma and upbringing and in ep 19 it was mention a couple of times how she is amazing and strong - by BW MH & HDH 

and in ep 20 we barely seen her - i know that in alot of ep bf she wasnt that prominent but i fear that the bashing - since its a known fact they change the script according to netizan - she will become secondary and just a follower of BW 

i like that they made him follow her, why is it unacceptable? bc he was king?

his story is also a fiction he was never in cahoots with JDJ and was only an aider of his father at this point in history  - so its ok to change BW but not to add astrong General like female?

but we don't know why the character boonyi was getting the dislike for ep 19. @homura didn't explain why. boonyi has always been spunky and strong, so i don't see why they would just suddenly bash her for being a 'strong' character. maybe it's something she did or didn't do in the particular episode. also, i think she's been a rather prominent character in most episodes and does have a lot of scenes (think moohyul for less scenes - he's just memorable because he is used more often as comedic relief). it's just that bangwon takes the brunt of action because he's the main driver of the story (and jung do jeon).
plus, it's been said several times in the thread that the writers are a fan of ssk so i think they will continue giving her a lot of scenes and not making her weak unless the production team pressured them or something for some reason or another.
plus if knetz have major influence on the amount of screentime and action on the characters here, some would've gotten more scenes by now ^_^

and it's upsetting to me reading one of your spoilers because of the generalisation and assumption you've made :mellow:

13 minutes ago, srainy . said:

but we don't know why the character boonyi was getting the dislike for ep 19. @homura didn't explain why. boonyi has always been spunky and strong, so i don't see why they would just suddenly bash her for being a 'strong' character. maybe it's something she did or didn't do in the particular episode. also, i think she's been a rather prominent character in most episodes and does have a lot of scenes (think moohyul for less scenes - he's just memorable because he is used more often as comedic relief). it's just that bangwon takes the brunt of action because he's the main driver of the story (and jung do jeon).
plus, it's been said several times in the thread that the writers are a fan of ssk so i think they will continue giving her a lot of scenes and not making her weak unless the production team pressured them or something for some reason or another.
plus if knetz have major influence on the amount of screentime and action on the characters here, some would've gotten more scenes by now ^_^

and it's upsetting to me reading one of your spoilers because of the generalisation and assumption you've made :mellow:

she is called General BY since ep 6 - no spoilers

why do you think BY is disliked? what was changed in ep 19 to make her be disliked suddenly

im not the only spoiler - and the subs are out - soi assumed everyone already watched it

all 6 dragons are the major characters it is BW story from 6 dfferent points represented by the 6 dragons which BY represents the peasants 

not liking BY suddenly can only be bc of the way she is a leader and not a follower of men since this is the only change they mad in this ep

the acknowledgement of her leadership istead of regarding it as a joke - which mean this is the only reason to dislike her so whichever other reason is givven it is a camouflage to the real one  

15 minutes ago, meiazza said:

I myself think they were trying too much to make Boon Yi as an important dragon. I like a strong female character but her as a general does not feel natural. And when the teacher said "Boon Yi is also strong" It feels a lil bit forced to me. Maybe it's just me.

I'm glad no criticism in ep.20 though...

you mean like Jeanne d'Ark? BTW was called a witch for being a female leader 

• Like 1

Guest srainy .
6 minutes ago, nevill said:

she is called General BY since ep 6 - no spoilers

why do you think BY is disliked? what was changed in ep 19 to make her be disliked suddenly

im not the only spoiler - and the subs are out - soi assumed everyone already watched it

all 6 dragons are the major characters it is BW story from 6 dfferent points represented by the 6 dragons which BY represents the peasants 

not liking BY suddenly can only be bc of the way she is a leader and not a follower of men since this is the only change they mad in this ep

the acknowledgement of her leadership istead of regarding it as a joke - which mean this is the only reason to dislike her so whichever other reason is givven it is a camouflage to the real one  

i haven't watched episode 19, so i can't say what has changed - i'm just giving a different perspective from the immediate assumption that it is because boonyi is a leader and a strong woman that she's getting disliked. plus to add, episode 20 wouldve been edited along with ep 19, so the reduction of her scenes in ep 20 (as you've said) can't have been an immediate reaction to knetz comments. we would have to see in future episodes but it's seen that the response has improved in ep 20 so i expect no change in boonyi's character and scenes.

plus if the 6 dragons are major characters, then i hope for improvements in moohyul's because while he's said to be one of the titular dragons, he doesn't seem like so to me. feels like he's a side character with just a bit more scenes, similar to yeonhee in a way.

My personal opinion about why Boon-Yi was bashed by Korean netizens in ep. 19.

1. Misogynists don't like "a strong female leader". Unfortunately, there are more and more misogynists here in South Korea recently due to increasing economic crisis. Men living in poverty have a tendency to bash women because women are easier target to run down. They also hate Cinderella story. "A lowly female lead falls in love with a rich Prince Charming" is the worst story for them.

2. Infidelity is the most hated thing among married Korean women. They are TV drama's prime viewers. Even though Bang-Won and Boon-Yi fell in love with each other before his arranged marriage, and even though it was natural in that period for a married noble man to meet another woman, many Korean female viewers start to feel uncomfortable about their relationships. Some of them began to show more empathy toward Lady Min, treating Boon-Yi like an illicit woman.

3. Others criticized that Boon-Yi's attitude toward Lady Min in the beginning of ep 19  looked arrogant. They say that it is unthinkable for a commoner maid to talk to a noble class lady like that in such an extremely casted society.

4. Korean Sageuk fans usually don't like a romance between a historical figure and a fictional character. This is a typical backlash. Many of them just hate any romance in Sageuk.

5. The trio's night trespass on Biguksa temple looks childish. It gives a negative impression that they are playing a revolution adventure for fun.

6. Most of all, Yi Bang-Won's fans seem to get angry about the writers. In 1388. Bang-Won should be a father of many children as well as a civil officer working for the central government. In the history, he was the only Joseon king who passed the civil service exam and worked in person as a government officer, therefore he knew the bureaucracy like the back of his hand and masterfully took advantage of it during his reign. However, Bang-Won in SFD looks like an unemployed kid playing house with Boon-Yi and Moo-Hyul. His words toward Monk Jeokryong sound childish.

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, homura said:

My personal opinion about why Boon-Yi was bashed by Korean netizens in ep. 19.

1. Misogynists don't like "a strong female leader". Unfortunately, there are more and more misogynists here in South Korea recently due to increasing economic crisis. Men living in poverty have a tendency to bash women because women are easier target to run down. They also hate Cinderella story. "A lowly female lead falls in love with a rich Prince Charming" is the worst story for them.

2. Infidelity is the most hated thing among married Korean women. They are TV drama's prime viewers. Even though Bang-Won and Boon-Yi fell in love with each other before his arranged marriage, and even though it was natural in that period for a married noble man to meet another woman, many Korean female viewers start to feel uncomfortable about their relationships. Some of them began to show more empathy toward Lady Min, treating Boon-Yi like an illicit woman.

3. Others criticized that Boon-Yi's attitude toward Lady Min in the beginning of ep 19  looked arrogant. They say that it is unthinkable for a commoner maid to talk to a noble class lady like that in such an extremely casted society.

4. Korean Sageuk fans usually don't like a romance between a historical figure and a fictional character. This is a typical backlash. Many of them just hate any romance in Sageuk.

5. The trio's night trespass on Biguksa temple looks childish. It gives a negative impression that they are playing a revolution adventure for fun.

6. Most of all, Yi Bang-Won's fans seem to get angry about the writers. In 1388. Bang-Won should be a father of many children as well as a civil officer working for the central government. In the history, he was the only Joseon king who passed the civil service exam and worked as a government officer in person, therefore he knew the bureaucracy like the back of his hand and masterfully took advantage of it during his reign. However, Bang-Won in SFD looks like an unemployed kid playing house with Boon-Yi and Moo-Hyul. His words toward Monk Jeokryong sound childish.

Man, isn't it kinda funny when it's K-net themselves who beg the writers for GTM's life and that they don't care about the history but bash on BY because their story is not real? I guess they just hate women in general don't they?  /i think one of these is more like young actors' fangirl problem, those mean girls just bash on any girl who seems close to their men. I used to come accross some really rude comments complaining about how Yoo Mi looks "too old" to be  Yo Han's lover and that they shoulda cast someone younger FOR HIM, they even make fun of her nose, that she has enormous nostrils. And hello, forgive me for enjoying romance in Sageuk, this is a drama after all, not a documentary. I hate it when they talk as if someone who enjoys a little romance in sageuk like me is some dumb s***with no brains.I'm here for the tension, the scheme, interesting historical story AND the romance, what's so wrong with that?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, srainy . said:

i haven't watched episode 19, so i can't say what has changed - i'm just giving a different perspective from the immediate assumption that it is because boonyi is a leader and a strong woman that she's getting disliked. plus to add, episode 20 wouldve been edited along with ep 19, so the reduction of her scenes in ep 20 (as you've said) can't have been an immediate reaction to knetz comments. we would have to see in future episodes but it's seen that the response has improved in ep 20 so i expect no change in boonyi's character and scenes.

plus if the 6 dragons are major characters, then i hope for improvements in moohyul's because while he's said to be one of the titular dragons, he doesn't seem like so to me. feels like he's a side character with just a bit more scenes, similar to yeonhee in a way.

well since you are admitting to giving an opinion about something you havent watched yet - i suggest you waatch first and then make a different opinion than mine

since again the ONLY difference in this ep- which you will be able to see - is her acknowledgement as a leader and she leads the men - and i have to spoil it for you since there is no other way to justify my claims otherwise - bta i dont read threads until i watch the ep if i dong want to read spoilers  

your preference of  MH is understandable i also hope he will get more screen time

but the fact is SSK did make her IG private and her character in ep 20 was almost non existent - and according to homura ep 20 made netizen remove their criticism which can make one assume it does have something to do with BY strong characteristic (although edited bf means that netizen DO like BY less prominent) - their retracting of their criticism only strengthen my point about BY not lessens it  

• Like 2