[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

PD Shin has just broke his "Reply Monument" by releasing ep 19th n 20th of Reply 1988.

Absolutely wasted with no logic n no final :)))) What?? Even it's Teak, it must be more to be aired!! He stand still from Teak refused all abt his relationship with DS in front of full SsangMunDong gangs =)). It's so funny ^^

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a lot are not happy with jh not getting ds in the end. Everyone thought it was jh for sure, even I despite wanting taek to be the husband. I was prepared to accept jh but I somehow hoped the writer would take a different path with this one. And she did. It was refreshing and maybe that's what she wanted as a writer, to try something new and make people remember it. And boy, now they will - whether they like it or not. 

Yep, pretty sure she wanted a new idea, a new storyline of reply that's quite a lot different from the previous. And I liked that she did that. That somehow the character that you least expect would get the girl. She showed how the taek took chances and deserved what he got in the end. And that jh had a lot of chances that he chose to let go, hesitations he prolonged and later regretted. That was the message she might have intended to impart in jh's love line. It's just sad that it has to be jh, i know. But I hoped people would admit this and respect what the writer wanted.

Because in all this kdramas, you have to have an idea that would deviate the loveline you've created from the others, no? I mean if I were her, I'd also want to make that or as a viewer I also want a drama that's out of ordinary nowadays, of a 2nd lead suddenly getting the girl, getting what he deserved. Of a story like this, so I'm happy.

(And yea people could always write a good ol fanfic of how they wanted it to end, ye? kke)

1 hour ago, nikkisjs said:
  • What happened to JH/DR/Wang jun/Parents?
  • What's the purpose of the interview?
  • How did DS-Taek go public/married?
  • What does DS do now? Didn't she say she"works from her home-office now"? :/
  • How did SW-Bora marry in 1995 when thelaw changed in 1997?
  • What the hell happened to JH's ring? I guess, it was really meant for DS, so he left it?
  • Do JH-DS don't interact anymore? wtf.
  • They solved the diary thing but forgot about comics lol JH is only one who reads comics. Not hating here, just saying it's realllyyyyy rushed.

Wants answers lol. They pretty much wrote off JH after Ep18 :(

Btw, Bogummie had his first fanmeet today and he was crying SO hard. RJY and LDH sent video messages to him~ :3

^^ Yeo Jin Goo, AOA's Mina, Taek's appa, the 4 remaining friends from r88, Cha Tae hyun send videos~

Apparently the next installment will be Reply 1974. Yep, let's go all the way back to the Joseon era. Will watch that AFTER it ends! :|

I've been neutral throughout the drama, but I decided to root for Taek in last few episodes.

I'm going to try to answer some of you guys' complaints or questions, so here we go.

"The story surrounds around JH" No it's not. In fact, JH's screentime has become less and less throughout the drama and not just in the last four episodes. It just feels like it focuses merely on JH because you guys root for him and focuses on him. Actually the drama focuses less and less on romance. Even the final episode focuses more on their family and bond than their romance for me.

"But DS liked JH, how can she turn to TK all of a sudden" Why do you think that the writer shows DS' crush to SW first before JH? The writer wanted to emphasize that DS' feelings to JH was just a crush and triggered by her friends. She never had feelings to other guys that was purely because of her own before Taek. She didn't turn to Taek all of a sudden. The writer has shown us all throughout the drama that all of the gang is protective towards Taek, especially DS. Like another comment here had said, she decided to stay in TK's room to watch him eat his lunch than eating lunch with JH whom she's supposed to have a crush at. She cared for him from the beginning. But she was young, and she didn't know love. 

"All the clues are pointed at JH" For me, the only clue that was pointed at JH was the fact the husband knew about DS' confession (but that got cleared up in the end). Why do you guys think the writers made the present scenes an interview? Why would reporters interview DS and his husband? One of them must be famous enough, right? That was like the biggest clue for me. For comics, some of you might miss that TK has a comic collection in his room. And about the husband's personality, we can see that how TK behave changes throughout the drama. He has become more outspoken in the end, he even know how to curse lol And that's only from 88 to 95. God knows how much he can change in 2015, right?

On the other hand, I quite agree that the final episode was really good but quite unsatisfactory. While other episodes were slow paced, somehow this episode was too fast paced lol. I wanted to see how all the gang are doing in present time, but they unfortunately didn't show any. I wanted to see how TK and DS progresses from dating to getting married. But overall, I think R88 was great! It'll always have a special place in my heart. 

24 minutes ago, nikkisjs said:

^^ Yeo Jin Goo, AOA's Mina, Taek's appa, the 4 remaining friends from r88, Cha Tae hyun send videos~

Apparently the next installment will be Reply 1974. Yep, let's go all the way back to the Joseon era. Will watch that AFTER it ends! :|

For reals? The next installment is 1974? Wow! 

I read it at DC Bogum gallery.

Today (Jan.16) there was Park Bo Gum's fan meeting. He told a lot of interesting things, but since it's a drama thread, I post something related to R1988.

Bogum didn't apply audition, he was picked up. He got a phone call from the PD Shin. The day at the behind story video, when he was asked if he drinks, smokes, curse, that was the first meeting. The script wasn't made perfectly, the director Shin let him read various characters. And the director said Taek suited him the most, but real Bogum is quiet and upright person. The scriptwriter modified Taek's character to more innocent, quiet, upright person. That's how Taek was created. On the second meeting, he was requested to study baduk.

(It's not from today, it's from other interviews: So he applied baduk class at this (2nd half of 2015) semester at his university. Since he's majoring musical acting at university, he is taking ballet class in this semester. He said this is the reason why he should eat a lot.)

He said he would go to Phuket on Monday(Jan.18) with R1988 staffs.

Today, he hugged a fan with his jacket, like Taek did in ep19.

Common things and different things between Taek and Bogum: Common thing is to focus on one thing. Different thing is, "Taek is good at skinship, but I'm not. (LOL) And Taek eats a little, but I'm not." And he said he likes cooking and sewing (LOL). The MC said, "I saw yesterday's episode, you pushed the chair very vigorously!" Bogum was very embarrassed, couldn't raise his head.

If he is in situation like Taek & Junghwan, two old friends love one girl, Bogum couldn't answer quickly. One fan from the audience shouted at him, "Live your own life!" then Bogum burst into laughter.

His manager filmed him at the drama location without his awareness, and 95% of times, he was eating something. He is a real heavy eater. He opened his bag on the stage, there were many snacks. LOL (really different from Taek)

Go Kyung Pyo came as a guest, he said, "Bogum is not good for a boyfriend, he is good for a husband."

At the video greeting from Ryu Junyeol and Lee Dong Hwi, "If Lightsaber is in Star Wars, we have Park Bo Gum(=sword) in R1988"

He doesn't drive, has no plan of buying a car. Everyday he takes school bus to the school, and takes subway on the way home. Because he has to sleep at school bus. When he was asked what is in the wall paper of his phone, it was school class timetable of this semester. (good student!) He said, to him, a dating is 'to fulfill something lack to each other' (It reminds Taek & Deoksun relationship)

I think its gonna be my last post here so it likely to be longer.

I admit that I join soompi forum because of this show. I have watched kdrama for more than a decade and never thought that I would be here on this thread.

Even though I have not watched today’s episode yet, I assumed that it wrapped up nicely considering that I am R97 fan. I am not watching R94 so that I don’t know how it felt to be chilbonged but now I perfectly know being  jungpaled.

I have two person in my mind whom I want to say thanks to. They are Shin PD and Lee writer-nim. For the past two months, I have learnt something new from this show. My family is almost similar to Doryong, that’s why I mentioned him a lot. I’m the youngest of my family and my bros live apart, mom is busy with business and dad is passed away already.

My love for my dad was portrayed well in Taek’s scene in episode 2. Instead of losing mom, I find Park Bogum reflects his losing well on that episode. Just crying and telling that he misses his mom every day. Yes, I miss my dad so much. I could not stop crying when they mentioned about dad. It makes my heart broke into a pieces.

I am so grateful having Shin PD, that crazy bastard directed this show. He never abandons one of his actors! I come to this show without knowing a thing about Ryu Junyeol. I have no interest on Hyeri either.

But after two months passed, I realized that Shin PD could be rising Ryu Junyeol into the next level. He might not be a lead but who doubts his popularity? He may get it in no time.

Lastly, thanks for the amazing analysis, undoubtedly insights and hilarious comments you guys provided to me. It is such a beautiful moment to remember. I have the other Taek to be Jungpaled on the next thread. I personally welcome you to join me there. 

Annyeong~~

I'm in love with JH, seriously. And it was heartbroken to see him without any girlfriend and any activities in 2016
Anyone now is like "I want RJY to have a role in another great drama asap"
I too, honestly
But how many times I felt in love with the character and promised to watch anything with this actor, but then - PFF - he turns out to be a chaebol, one of 1000 in a kdrama-world, or a rich star learning how to be human throughout the series, or someone like this, and I just cannot love the actor as much as in his previous work.
I will miss RJY as JH, I badly wanted him to get everything possible in THIS drama, which I relate to, which I admire, which is my favourite. He was unique, a character which can be rarely met in dramas, diamond-like.

1 minute ago, Xenya Kharlanova said:

I'm in love with JH, seriously. And it was heartbroken to see him without any girlfriend and any activities in 2016
Anyone now is like "I want RJY to have a role in another great drama asap"
I too, honestly
But how many times I felt in love with the character and promised to watch anything with this actor, but then - PFF - he turns out to be a chaebol, one of 1000 in kdrama-world, or a rich star learning how to be human throughout the series, or someone like this, and I just cannot love the actor as much as in his previous work.
I will miss RJY as JH, I badly wanted him to get everything possible in THIS drama, which I relate to, which I admire, which is my favourite. Who knows which project he will choose next?
But anyways, I'll definitely give it a try though!

This so much! I fell in love with Yoonjae in R97 and Chilbong in R94. But none of their following dramas has got me hooked like the Reply series (Master's Sun excluded, but it was mostly not because of Seo Inguk). It was hard for me to watch Warm and Cozy until the end (but I tried nevertheless). I hope R88's actors and actresses will choose their future dramas and movies wisely. Just look at JungWoo, he took his time after Reply ended and hit daebak with Himalaya. I don't want the actors and actresses to rush to the next drama, they need to take it slowly and choose characters that fit them best. ^^

11 minutes ago, saturn. said:

Common things and different things betweek Taek and Bogum: Common thing is to focus on one thing. Different thing is, "Taek is good at skinship, but I'm not. (LOL)

At the video greeting from Ryu Junyeol and Lee Dong Hwi, "If Lightsaber is in Star Wars, we have Park Bo Gum(=sword) in R1988"

Haha, thanks for that post! I don't really get what he means with TK is good at skinship tho... I thought TK was very awkward at it :sweatingbullets:

And for those who don't get the second quote with the sword, BoGeom's name in chinese characters/hanja means sth like precious sword. ^^

Actually I didn want to write,but I cant hold this anymore.

Well,I have too much to say but Ill be short.To say the truth I am a little bit dissapointed.I dont say writeres did wrong,they made it just perfect,but I was so sad.Not because it ended but because the end was very depressive for me. I liked both Teak and JungHwan, at first it didnt matter to me who will be the husband,but thn I started to like Teak more as a man,I didnt stop to love Junghwan.I was really happy that Teak was the husband,but what happened? I would like to see more acting of young actors because somehow the acting of elders was unnatural to me,I didnt get the feeing of Deoksun ad Teak. Well,this is not the biggest problem! As for me Teak(Park Bogum) and Deoksun(Hyeri) were awesome. The most dissapointing thing is that I was looking for Junghwan,till the end I was hoping that Ill see him,but unfortunatly,the character, who had the most of concetration through the whole drama, didnt get any scense.What happened to him.What he is thinking about? I cant get this. And DR,what about him? It just ended and I couldnt believe it was all! And perents,why they were all so sad,why in th end Teak said he didnt want to go back to those years,he couldnt be Teak,the one I loved best. It would have been much more better if they didnt show them in our days!!!Did they have children?...

Lets not say only bad things)  This drama was so warm.They were all awesome,parents,children,friends,lovers♥♥♥… I cried,felt at home. I a happy that I saw this great drama, and just because I dont like the ending it doesnt mean it wasnt really really one of the bests.I am glad I got to know Bora,Deoksun, Sonwoo,Junghwan,Dongryung,Taek,Jinjoo all of them.

I know it is hard for Jh-Ds shippers, it is hard for Ds-Tk shippers too I think.

Lets meet in another drama RJY and PBG fans!Lets admit that in and behind the scenses their bromance was AWESOME!★

Take care Everyone!

Archived