[Drama 2015] ◇∞ Ex-Girlfriends' Club ❤ 구여친클럽 ∞◆

Maetawinz

​Wow! Congratulations Yoon Ji :) 

I remember seeing her for the first time on Goong playing the Crown Prince's sister - I thought her character was so cool with her short hair, and laid back character. Ji Hyo was also in Goong and played the Prince's ex - and I really hated her role haha. 

​I remember both Jihyo and Yoon Ji in Goong. I hate Jihyo character too in that drama.

My 2 cents about SJ more cautious of MS attention towards her might be because of her misunderstanding their relationship before when SJ consider they are boyfriend/girlfriend but MS just acknowledge her as his good friend. 

Sj keep asking for confirmation each time Ms try to get her alone. Like after the trip when MS ask her to drink. SJ need the confirmation that its just between the 2 of them not with the others

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest charminder

Does anyone know the title of the song playing in the background while MS is texting SJ and JB says he got dumped in EP6? Music recognition apps don't work since it's not clear enough :(

Side note: I've not really been a huge korean-stuff fan until Running Man + Song Ji Hyo, and this is the first drama of hers that I'm so invested in! The casting is superb and I love the comedic and sweet moments between the characters. Hope XGFC continues to do well and its ratings go up! I also really love that this forum thread exists - it's where I come to stave off withdrawal symptoms till Friday. Thank you to all the insightful contributors! I'm having a lot of fun reading your posts :wub:

Guest chajoowon

Hi guys i was a lurker reading this thread and enjoying this surprisingly really funny rom com and full warmhearted real friendship moments.  I dig the friends falling in love story, feelings between SJ and MS.

I post this post because i just want to say that i cant stand the second lead because as someone mentioned earlier in this topic he is the cliche cold chaebol first lead.  With big BUT he doesnt grow better person, soft toward the heroine like the hero in Master's Sun, Kim Sam Soon etc Or like right now in Jeju Island drama by Hong Sisters 

In my eyes he is not a believable romantic rival because he is arrogant jerk who acts like a child towards everyone because he is rich spoiled prince used to everyone needing his money, power.   Its like he is in totally different drama than the rest of the story, characters who are more connected.  Next ep he can run after as SJ because she is angry at MS but that is not enough for me and will be not as fun as the rest of the show.   I just want to get past his part of the story.  Like Ji Ah is much bigger rival, problem for SJ when it comes to her and MS because its clear there were real emotions between her and MS before.

Hi guys i was a lurker reading this thread and enjoying this surprisingly really funny rom com and full warmhearted real friendship moments.  I dig the friends falling in love story, feelings between SJ and MS.

I post this post because i just want to say that i cant stand the second lead because as someone mentioned earlier in this topic he is the cliche cold chaebol first lead.  With big BUT he doesnt grow better person, soft toward the heroine like the hero in Master's Sun, Kim Sam Soon etc Or like right now in Jeju Island drama by Hong Sisters 

In my eyes he is not a believable romantic rival because he is arrogant jerk who acts like a child towards everyone because he is rich spoiled prince used to everyone needing his money, power.   Its like he is in totally different drama than the rest of the story, characters who are more connected.  Next ep he can run after as SJ because she is angry at MS but that is not enough for me and will be not as fun as the rest of the show.   I just want to get past his part of the story.  Like Ji Ah is much bigger rival, problem for SJ when it comes to her and MS because its clear there were real emotions between her and MS before.

​I think his personality is changing sloowly, like when he took the car to go meet SJ, him just flying to meet her immediatly after he found out she was alone at night at some deserted place, shows he has some lingering feelings already, but him taking the car and driving indicates it even more, because through all the episodes so far he has repeatedly said that he doesn't like to drive. I think that was just one step in the change of character he will undergo.

I personally loved the scene, when Myung went looking for SJ, but felt soo sad when he didn't go in to her when he was soo near, but at the same time that felt  more realistic.  I also loved it when myungso said he wanted to drink beer with SJ but only wanted to have water from ji ah when she wanted to drink with him, that was soo telling about his feelings. and the scene when he said to SJ that she must be happy she now doesn't have to act as a fake ex-girlfriend, he clearly didn't want to stop the act, which shows that he was enjoying it. when he said it to SJ it was soo heartwarming. oh and before I forget when he said he couldn'r sleep the night because of how he couldn't stop thinking of the act with SJ as his girlfriend. aaaaargghhh sooo much romance, and i'm really loving it.

myunso feelings for SJ seem really deep, I think he himself doesn't realise how deep yet, i also think he has clearly suppressed his feeling for her, because of the circumstances.

I find ep 6 so funny! The girls all have different agendas. Ji ah is in this becos she support myeongsoo, haw yeong is trying to preserve her marriage while  ra ra seems like all for herself until this ep she shows that she is rooting for soojin n myeongsoo together. 

I find the director's character charming although the actor look very thin and I have to assume he is a model in real life. 

I am am so hook on this show now. It's so one of a kind script. Very quirky and oddball but I like it.

Guest mywebfoot

Huh, I just noticed something. The three exes are the same girl in different stages of their lives.

Rara is the youngest - the free temptress

Hwa Yeong is the temptress who caught her man. Basically, she's Rara after catching her man.

Ji Ah is the wise, once-married, now divorced woman. She once was Hwa Yeong, poised on the edge of the rest of her life, but now left alone.

There is no specific role for Soo Jin, inasmuch as she is forever caught in the writers mind as 'that girl from the past'. She never aged, she never dated, she's preserved as an image of eternal innocence, quite separate, asexualized as compared to the other three. In other words, Soo Jin is portrayed as an ideal virgin. 

Does that mean though, that Myeong Soo is caught in an eternal cycle? Maybe that's why the plot has him doomed to repeat it if he isn't broken out of it. 

Huh, I just noticed something. The three exes are the same girl in different stages of their lives.

Rara is the youngest - the free temptress

Hwa Yeong is the temptress who caught her man. Basically, she's Rara after catching her man.

Ji Ah is the wise, once-married, now divorced woman. She once was Hwa Yeong, poised on the edge of the rest of her life, but now left alone.

There is no specific role for Soo Jin, inasmuch as she is forever caught in the writers mind as 'that girl from the past'. She never aged, she never dated, she's preserved as an image of eternal innocence, quite separate, asexualized as compared to the other three. In other words, Soo Jin is portrayed as an ideal virgin. 

Does that mean though, that Myeong Soo is caught in an eternal cycle? Maybe that's why the plot has him doomed to repeat it if he isn't broken out of it. 

​Ooh, nice catch. Rara alludes to it a little by saying Soojin isn't Myeung Soo's type but it never really caught me this way, not till you spelled it out.

To extend this, the past comes up a lot when Myeung Soo talks about Soojin. She represents the happiest time of his life, something he couldn't capture once she was gone.

My question though is about how the show views Soojin's arc. Is she supposed to be forever unchanging, Myeung Soo's prize for getting his head out of his behind? But then there is what Myeung Soo says about Ji Ah, that he is no longer the person who loved her while Ji Ah wants to keep him frozen in time there.

So, is it the story of her leaving her idealized youth behind? There are hints in the movie arc - her being forced to make a movie she doesn't believe in but she is a bystander in the rest of it (which works for the show since she makes the perfect foil to the craziness) that I am not sure. And if she is no longer supposed to be the girl from the past content to live with 20 dollars in her pocket, what does it mean for Myeung Soo? Is that what Jo Geun's role is - to push her along and by extension him?

My view is that Soojin has always been independent, strong willed self. She may have just realised how good it is to depend on someone after Myungsoo cheered her up (after she told some stuff to Jo Geun). And I think that's what she herself needed. A dependant backbone. And Soojin wants Myungsoo to be that guy, and technically he is, just that he doesn't know which, who or what to prioritise right now. I think in many sides, that is what Jo Geun is offering, not to her, but as a person himself. Somebody else mentioned before (and I agree!) that Jo Geun and Soojin may yet learn from each other, and they should be, and more than romance (of course I want some romance!), I want their relationship to be of friends who truly respect and can depend on each other. 

I'm pretty sure in the end Myungsoo will step up and be Soojin's prince charming. But I like how the show portrays such complicated feelings that are so fickle to change, as they should be because that's how reality is. As humans, we have feelings that are new, undetermined yet we feel it and sometimes we just can't and don't want to define them. This show showcases such feelings, especially on Myungsoo' part. 

Now, where is Friday :(

Guest farstrep

The writer's choice of making JG a director piqued my curiosity. The writer could have JG working for HY's fiance as a potential movie investor or the fiance's chaebol friend, but this is not the case. And JG is not just any famous international director, but a director who was supposed to present SJ with an award for her work. To add to that, he is a very difficult director to work with, and I assume that means he is a perfectionist, holding himself and everyone else to high standards when it comes to making films. When JG met SJ in her office, he did not hesitate to express his disappointment at her absence during the award ceremony - he seems to view her award-winning work in a very favorable light. I am more than interested to know his thoughts on SJ's work. What exactly about it impressed him? The subject matter? The passion and sincerity she exhibited in her work?

From the way I see it, the writer is not only using JG as a romantic rival to upset the status quo between SJ and MS, but also as a catalyst to push SJ out of her comfort zone - to realize and hopefully, progress beyond the potential she has exhibited in her award-winning work and create another masterpiece again. SJ, distracted by the fact that she needs to keep the company afloat/survive, seems to have lost sight of the reason she got into this business in the first place - her earnest desire to make a good film. Being a director himself, and a famous one at that, JG would know the right buttons to push to get SJ to recover that quality to create another masterpiece. 

As much as I am invested in the various lovelines in the drama, I am also interested in SJ's growth in terms of her career.

Guest kihi

When JG first met SJ, he did not hesitate to express his disappointment at her absence during the award ceremony - he seems to view her award-winning work in a very favorable light. I am more than interested to know his thoughts on SJ's work. What exactly about it impressed him? The subject matter? The passion and sincerity she exhibited in her work?​

So far what has been shown to us is that JG has the same taste as SJ, they're do not like romance and into heavy deep stuff.

So far what has been shown to us is that JG has the same taste as SJ, they're do not like romance and into heavy deep stuff.

​I'm not sure i understood what you mean with the bolded part, but if you mean what I think you mean, then SJ not being into deep romance is because she is afraid of misunderstanding the relationship with myungso, she doesn't want to be in a onesided delusional relationship again, and deep down I think she wants a a serious relationship where she is loved just as much as she loves her partner.

Guest mywebfoot

​Ooh, nice catch. Rara alludes to it a little by saying Soojin isn't Myeung Soo's type but it never really caught me this way, not till you spelled it out.

To extend this, the past comes up a lot when Myeung Soo talks about Soojin. She represents the happiest time of his life, something he couldn't capture once she was gone.

My question though is about how the show views Soojin's arc. Is she supposed to be forever unchanging, Myeung Soo's prize for getting his head out of his behind? But then there is what Myeung Soo says about Ji Ah, that he is no longer the person who loved her while Ji Ah wants to keep him frozen in time there.

So, is it the story of her leaving her idealized youth behind? There are hints in the movie arc - her being forced to make a movie she doesn't believe in but she is a bystander in the rest of it (which works for the show since she makes the perfect foil to the craziness) that I am not sure. And if she is no longer supposed to be the girl from the past content to live with 20 dollars in her pocket, what does it mean for Myeung Soo? Is that what Jo Geun's role is - to push her along and by extension him?

​Hehe the things that strike you in the middle of the night. Agree, Myeung Soo had her in a cocoon, wadded up in cotton and hidden preciously away!

To your question - probably both MS and SJ have 'grown up' past their naive stages? Then again, Myung Soo is what is called an 'unreliable narrator' - his view of the past isn't always the clearest, and he's been shown capable of avoiding the truth. He has moments of deep insight (the meal in Ep 5 for instance), but when he does is when he gets coy about his past too. :P Maybe this show should be sub-titled: The Mystery of Myung Soo. :D

I think Jo Gun's role is a great one. He's all of us, he's the observer, he's the director. He points out what we, as the audience, want to point out, and he pokes and prods where we want to. I don't know about Jo Gun as a lover, or as a beloved character, but I like JG and his inquisitive eyebrows. >.<

Edit:

@cindyjulia 

I'm pretty sure in the end Myungsoo will step up and be Soojin's prince charming. But I like how the show portrays such complicated feelings that are so fickle to change, as they should be because that's how reality is. As humans, we have feelings that are new, undetermined yet we feel it and sometimes we just can't and don't want to define them. This show showcases such feelings, especially on Myungsoo' part. 

Now, where is Friday :(

That's what I like about the writing for this show too. It reveals the characters' frailty to emotions and changing motivations as realizations emerge, but it does it in a way that is not confusing at all. We understand why they change, what they are doing, and throughout the crazy, we know what drives them. That's some excellent writing, if you ask me. When a relatively large cast of characters shift around like this, it takes  skilled writer to avoid the audience losing track of who's doing what and why. 

​I'm not sure i understood what you mean with the bolded part, but if you mean what I think you mean, then SJ not being into deep romance is because she is afraid of misunderstanding the relationship with myungso, she doesn't want to be in a onesided delusional relationship again, and deep down I think she wants a a serious relationship where she is loved just as much as she loves her partner.

​I think @kihi is referring to the kind of movies they want to make here. Both are drawn to dark, art-house flicks instead of the "light" romance flick his webtoon and this show is. 

Well, I have been in kdrama limbo since earlier this year... finally, I find myself liking this drama. Not enough to rewatch it but enough to watch each episode and be curious about what is going to happen next. I like the various leads and the OTP (they are the OTP right?)... I don't mind JG stirring up the pot. 

MS - I must admit that I don't really get him yet. I don't quite understand him and I think a person like him would drive me crazy cause he's not really a "what you see is what you get" kind of a guy. He is a bit complicated. I did like the scene where he shared that he did go to lengths to see her but ended up turning away. So I am rooting for him and hope that we can see more scenes from his point of view - in particular as it relates to SJ.

Guest MariaG

I really liked the ep 5, but I loved the ep 6... I've seen it five times already! [害羞]

My favorite scenes from ep 6 are all of MS with SJ ... [爱你]

e42ce22bjw1ese0guusd7j20zk140ai7.jpg

e42ce22bjw1esejcht2n8g20b4069kir.gif

e42ce22bjw1esejd04gr1g20b40694db.gif

dbd52a9fgw1esgpnji24hg207g04v4qp.gif

I also really liked the scene between Rara and JG, especially when he turned off the music. [偷笑]

Mmmm I love the idea that JG has scenes with SJ, first because I find it unfair that MS has three ex-girlfriends around and SJ don't have anyone... So much so that the ex-girlfriends disparage her. [抓狂]

Secondly, because I like that MS gets jealous, he needs a very big incentive to encouraged to declare what he really feels for SJ. And third, because it injects some excitement to the drama, especially now when Rara likes JG. [太开心]

e42ce22bjw1esdbwfydd4g20c806wnpd.gif

Archived