Im Si Wan 임시완

sky5joyous

Siwan in a Travel TVshow, episode 2 : Scotland 

Spoiler

• Like 1

'Road to Boston' sheds light on Korean marathon hero

By Kim Eun-jung

SEOUL, Aug. 31 (Yonhap) -- Director Kang Je-gyu's new period film "Road to Boston" tells a heartwarming drama based on the true story of a Korean athlete who became the first Asian winner of the Boston Marathon in 1947.

The story follows Suh Yun-bok (1923-2017), played by Im Si-wan, as he competes in the Boston Marathon bearing the Korean flag for the first time after his country's liberation from the 1910-45 Japanese colonial rule.

Suh set the then world record with a time of 2:25:39 at the age of 24, becoming the first Asian champion to win the prestigious sporting event, which was founded in 1897.

The poster of Korean period film "Road to Boston" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The poster of Korean period film "Road to Boston" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

His coach was Sohn Kee-chung (1912-2002), played by Ha Jung-woo, another iconic Korean athlete and the winner of the marathon at the Berlin Olympics in 1936, when Korea was a colony of Japan.

Director Kang, best known for "Shiri" (1999) and "Taegukgi" (2004), both of which dealt with dark moments in Korean history, said he tried to stay faithful to the historical records of the marathoners.

He said he focused on designing the 42.195-kilometer marathon course and the actors' embodiment of the marathoners for authentic portrayal of the real event.

"As it is a film based on true stories, I wanted to portray their stories as faithfully as possible," Kang said in a press conference on Thursday.

Director Kang Je-gyu (R) of Korean marathon film "Road to Boston" and cast members (from L to R) Kim Sang-ho, Ha Jung-woo and Im Si-wan pose for a photo during a press conference on Aug. 31, 2023. (Yonhap)

Director Kang Je-gyu (R) of Korean marathon film "Road to Boston" and cast members (from L to R) Kim Sang-ho, Ha Jung-woo and Im Si-wan pose for a photo during a press conference on Aug. 31, 2023. (Yonhap)

Ha interpreted Sohn as an athlete who had to endure pain after running with the Japanese flag on his chest. During the award ceremony at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the champion was spotted hiding the Japanese flag with an oak tree.

"I think Sohn carried enormous pain in his heart for a long time. He endured a difficult time of oppression and persecution for covering the Japanese flag at the award ceremony," Ha said.

Im, who lowered his body fat percentage to 6 percent through intensive physical training, said he joined the project with the mindset of a national athlete.

"I thought I should approach the role with the mindset of a national athlete bearing the Korean flag, just like Suh did," Im said. "Through this project, I learned the joy of running and picked up a healthier hobby. That's how special this work is to me."

"Road to Boston" opens at local theaters Sept. 27.

ejkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230831005500315?section=culture/movies

3 Most Anticipated Movies of Fall 2023: ‘Road to Boston,’ ‘Cobweb’ and ‘Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman’

unnamed-tile-1434x2048.jpg

30000872396_1280.jpg

The upcoming holiday season is expected to be as exciting as this summer with the arrival of new movies.

Three different movies – Road to Boston, Cobweb, and Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman – will be released simultaneously on September 27th. A week later, romantic comedy movie 30 Days is set to make its domestic box office debut on October 3rd.

Road to Boston, starring Ha Jung Woo and Yim Si Wan, follows the heartwarming journey of Korean national marathoners as they eagerly compete in international competitions for the first time after the liberation of their country.

This film was produced at a cost of 19 billion won ($14.4 million) and has the highest break-even point compared to other releases, requiring approximately 4.5 million viewers to cover its production expenses.

This summer’s box office did not perform very well, as only one Korean movie, Smugglers, broke even out of its six rivals. Consequently, it remains questionable whether the upcoming movies will bring more audiences to the theaters over the long holidays.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://ent.sbs.co.kr/news/article.do?article_id=E10010276261

Siwan in a Travel TVshow, episode 2 : Scotland 

TVshow Episode 1 : Scotland    -   Press Conference for his Movie 1947 Boston 

Spoiler

• Like 1

‘Road to Boston’ a homage to first Korean marathoners

“Road to Boston” (Lotte Entertainment)

Director Kang Je-gyu, who is behind hit films “Shiri” (1999), “Brotherhood” (2004) and “Take Off,” (2009) is making a comeback after seven years, this time with the real-life story of three legendary marathoners in "Road to Boston."

The film is based on the life story of Son Kee-chung, the 1936 Berlin Olympics marathon gold medalist, and how he trained the Korean team for the first international marathon held after World War II. Ha Jung-woo stars as Son while Yim Si-wan plays another marathoner, Suh Yun-bok, who learns from Son and wins the Boston Marathon in 1947.

“Because the film is about the real life story of three legendary South Korean marathoners, I focused on depicting the realism. While writing the screenplay, I also committed myself to omitting the fictional part to diligently bring real life events to the film,” said director Kang during a press conference held in Lotte Cinema Konkuk University in Seoul on Thursday.

The other thing he has prioritized in making such a “realistic” movie about a marathon has been to portray protagonist Yim Si-wan as real as the actual marathon runner himself. “Road to Boston” was Yim’s first work acting as a runner, although he also played the character of a runner in JTBC drama “Run On,” which aired before the film’s release.

“I’ve been enjoying running as a healthy hobby, but I’ve never actually done it professionally. For the film, I trained for two months and I tried my best to get the physical conditioning of a marathoner and at one point, my body fat went down as low as 6 percent,” said Yim, adding that he would also do a short workout in his spare time on the set to build his muscles as a marathoner.

Prolific actor Ha said that his character, Son, moved him from the moment he read the screenplay.

“It was truly heartbreaking to read the part in which Son had to put a Japanese flag on his uniform and later receives criticism for hiding it with his hands. But he makes a comeback with Suh, an up-and-coming marathoner and the first marathoner to run with Korean flag, as his coach,” said Ha.

“Every single line that Son mentions in the film really touched my heart, which also made me act carefully as he is a person who really existed,” he added.

Although the film wrapped up shooting three years ago in 2020, the theatrical release had been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Director Kang said that he was actually thankful for the time he could spend continuously editing and editing to produce the final version.

“It was a very harsh and difficult time for me, but to be honest, I completed the final version just two weeks ago, after an endless process of editing. I’m grateful that I was able to attribute such effort to this film to increase the quality,” said Kang.

Regarding the controversy concerning not removing actor Bae Seong-woo -- who was embroiled in a DUI case in 2020 -- from the final version, Kang said deleting Bae's part would not be a way to pay respects to Korea’s legendary marathoners. Bae portrays another marathoner, Nam Seung-ryong, who won the bronze medal in the marathon at the 1936 Summer Olympics alongside gold medalist Son.

After being found guilty of drunk driving, Bae was banned from appearing on major televisions in South Korea and "Road to Boston" marks his return to the silver screen after the controversy.

“I didn't think it would be right to minimize or alter the story due to an incident surrounding an actor who plays him,” Kang told reporters.

“Road to Boston” hits local theaters on Sept. 27.

Actors Kim Sang-ho, Ha Jung-woo, Yim Si-wan and director Kang Je-gyu pose for a photo during a press conference for their film “Road to Boston” in Seoul on Thursday. (Newsis)

credit : Korea Herald

On 12/10/2015 at 10:10 AM, JexxaS said:

Im Siwan's still cuts for upcoming movie 'Oppa's Thought'

request
Mydaily - Naver: 'Oppa's Thought', Will Im Siwan be as successful as Yoo Ah In?

1. [+3,318, -129] He's really good at acting

2. [+2,636, -121] It grosses me out when idols act but he's an exception

3. [+1,897, -84] Im Siwan looks handsome in whatever he does

4. [+1,117, -66] Sounds like a fun movie. Im Siwan, fighting

5. [+505, -41] Why compare him to Yoo Ah In?

6. [+392, -28] He's neatly handsome

7. [+342, -34] His acting  in 'The Attorney' was amazing

8. [+279, -27] He doesn't seem like an idol at all. He's more of an actor now

9.[+262, -28] You can trust Im Siwan.

10. [+164, -4] So awkward to call Go Ah Sung the 'representative of actresses in their 20s' ㅋㅋHer middle school image yacine in 'The Host' is still too strong

11. [+195, -25] Really gotta acknowledge his acting talent....

Source: KKuljaem

Totally agree with the comments here. Im Siwan has really carved out a niche for himself in the acting world, setting himself apart from the "idol-turned-actor" stereotype. His performance in 'The Attorney' was a turning point, at least for me. Comparing him to Yoo Ah In feels like a disservice; both are great in their own right.

Also, about comment #10, I kinda get it, Go Ah Sung still has that 'The Host' vibe. But hey, everyone starts somewhere, and she's got talent too.

Really looking forward to 'Oppa's Thought'—feels like it's gonna be a hit! Im Siwan, keep doing what you're doing.

*** The South Korean box office will see aggressive competition for the holiday season this coming Korean Thanksgiving, with three titles from major actors and one of them is "Road to Boston" with Im Siwan who will detail the 1957 Boston Marathon. I hope I can see big success on this movie.   :kaching3:

photo1708249.jpg

photo source : Hancinema

Korean Thriller Netflix

Thriller dramas come with a certain addiction that cannot be explained. Right from the complex storylines and the action sequences to the revenge plotting and the rugged-looking Korean cast, there is hardly anything that’s not it pretty much ticks all the boxes that ought to be in a thriller drama. That is precisely why this time we have curated the perfect assortment of the top 15 Korean thrillers on Netflix that we certainly hook you to your screens. Not just that, we have made sure to give you a complete picture by adding all the important details including the IMDb ratings, the creators, the cast, and even the plot, to help you make an informed decision. 

15 adrenaline-boosting Korean Thrillers streaming on Netflix along with their IMDb ratings 

2. Unlocked (2023)

• Running Time: 1 hour 57 min
  • K Drama Genre: Drama, Thriller, Adventure, Horror
  • K Drama Star Cast: Si Wan Yim, Woo Hee Chun, Kim Hee Won
  • Director: Tae Joon Kim
  • Writer: Tae Joon Kim, Akira Shiga
  • Year of release: 2023
  • Where to Watch / OTT Platform: Netflix
  • IMDb Rating: 6.4/10

Featuring a star cast including Si Wan Yim, Woo Hee Chun, and Kim Hee Won, this thriller drama combines elements of crime, horror, and mystery. Directed and written by Tae Joon Kim and Akira Shiga, this movie is available for streaming on Netflix. It has an IMDb rating of 6.4/10. When it comes to the plot, this suspenseful thriller revolves around a woman's life and how it's turned haywire after a dangerous person finds her lost mobile phone and tracks her moves. 

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/korean-thriller-netflix-1240504

'Road to Boston': inspiring drama of two iconic Korean marathoners in dark time

SEOUL, Sept. 12 (Yonhap) -- Running the tricky and tough 42.2-kilometer course in Boston requires intensive training and patience. However, winning was not the only goal for Korean marathoner Suh Yun-bok and his coach, Sohn Kee-chung, at the 1947 Boston Marathon.

Two years after Korea's liberation from the 1910-45 Japanese colonial rule, Suh was also on a mission to run with a T-shirt emblazoned with the Korean national flag. He achieved the goal and won the race with a world record time of 2:25:39.

Director Kang Je-gyu's new film "Road to Boston" tells the heartwarming and uplifting story of 1947 Boston Marathon champion Suh (played by Yim Si-wan) and Sohn (played by Ha Jung-woo), an iconic Korean marathoner who finds redemption in his protege's victory.

The poster of the sports film "Road to Boston" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The poster of the sports film "Road to Boston" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The film begins with Sohn's famous photo taken Aug. 9, 1936, at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin. With his head bowed, the gold medalist clutches a young oak tree to his chest to hide the Japanese flag on his shirt.

Behind him is Nam Sung-yong (Bae Sung-woo), a Korean bronze medalist whose grim face is staring at his feet.

As Korea was part of the Japanese Empire from 1910 to 1945, Sohn was forced to run under a Japanese name, Sohn Kitei, and the gold medal was recorded as a Japanese triumph.

The Korean daily Dong-A Ilbo carried his photo on the front page after erasing the Japanese flag from his chest, and Sohn lived under oppression and was under close watch by the Japanese government after that.

The story then moves to 1947, two years after Korea's liberation from Japan. The country is divided into the South and the North, occupied by the United States and the Soviet Union, respectively.

Sohn, now living in South Korea, finds a silver lining in Suh, an emerging marathoner with the potential to become the "Next Sohn Kee-chung." He trains Suh for the 1947 Boston Marathon, the first international marathon to be held since the end of World War II.

A scene from the Korean sports film "Road to Boston" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor, Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A scene from the Korean sports film "Road to Boston" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor, Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

But the road to Boston was tough.

Before the Republic of Korea was established in 1948, South Korea under U.S. military rule was considered a refugee country, which means the athletes had to pay a large deposit and present a U.S.-based guarantor to compete in the race.

Thanks to donations by U.S. servicemen stationed in Korea and Koreans, Suh; Nam, the bronze medalist; and Sohn fly to Boston on a U.S. military plane.

The Korean delegate once again faces hurdles in Boston as the T-shirts of Suh and Nam were emblazoned with the U.S. flag. However, Suh and Nam ultimately run with Korean national flags.

In the final racing scene, Suh tackles the infamous Newton's Heartbreak Hill and crosses the finish line first, breaking his coach's world record set in 1936.

Based on real-life events, the period film pays homage to Sohn, who was forced to run with the Japanese flag and spent the rest of his life coaching notable Korean runners, including Suh; Ham Kee-yong, the winner of the 1950 Boston Marathon; and Hwang Young-cho, the gold medalist of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Director Kang, best known for "Shiri" (1999) and "Taegukgi" (2004), both of which dealt with dark moments in Korean history, delivers an underlying message of national identity behind the uplifting sports story set in the tumultuous time of Korea in the early 20th century. But the way he tells the story is sometimes overly sentimental and nationalistic, making it highly predictable.

Actor Yim's performance is realistic as he built a lean, muscular runner's body through rigorous training to have a body fat percentage as low as 6 percent. Co-star Ha portrays the legendary runner's emotional depth from sorrow and anger to joy and strikes the right balance with Yim.

"Road to Boston" opens at local theaters Sept. 27.

ejkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230912002100315?section=culture/movies

17 hours ago, sky5joyous said:

Siwan in Raod to Boston (1947 Boston) 

@sky5joyous  thanks for sharing this. Siwan really sheds weight to perfect his character in the movie. Im Siwan was not just prepared for the role emotionally but also externally, that he spent most of his time on "diet and exercise." During the presscon, he shared having a strict meal plan to make sure he was in shape before filming. He said, I always had to eat chicken breast and salad as a diet from the time I started filming until the end, and I also had to exercise every day."  He also added that to maintain his physique and not lose his muscles, he had to do workouts in between cuts. One of the effects of this is losing huge body fat. He said, "I measured my body fat using InBody and it came out to be 6%. It wasn't my goal, but as I tried to become like teacher Seo Yun-bok, I saw the figure of 6% for the first time in my life, and I think it was amazing." Moreover, apart from diet and exercise, he also had to train like a true professional marathon and underwent professional training two to three months before filming began. "Road to Boston" is scheduled to hit the big screen on September 27. Looking forward to this.  :kaching1:

road-to-boston.jpg?w=820

“Road to Boston” boasts splendid supporting cast lineup and heralds Park Eun Bin & Im Si Wan’s love line

“Road to Boston” will heat up cinemas this Chuseok holiday with its cast consisting of famous actors

The movie “Road to Boston”, which tells the story of Korean marathon athletes joining an international competition for the first time in 1947, attracts keen attention by introducing a cast lineup of 100% trustworthy actors.

Road to Boston

Actress Park Eun Bin, who created a global syndrome with “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” and gained huge love for her stable acting skills in “The King’s Affection”, “Do You Like Brahms?”, and “Hot Stove League”, will make a special appearance in “Road to Boston”. She is expected to showcase her lovely charm to the fullest with her shy eyes and sweet smiles when playing the role of Ok Rim, who has a love line with Suh Yun Bok (Im Si Wan), a marathoner who dreams of becoming the second Son Kee Chung.

Park Hyo Joo, who has proved her excellent acting through “Now, We Are Breaking Up”, “Dr. Romantic 2”, “Tazza”, “The Chaser”, etc., will appear as Yoon Seo, the wife of national marathon team’s player and coach Nam Seung Ryong (Bae Sung Woo) who silently cheers for her husband’s challenge.

Road to Boston

Oh Hee Joon, who became scene-stealers in various works such as “All Of Us Are Dead”, Gangnam Beauty”, “Exit”, etc., will take on the role of Seo Yun Bok’s best friend Dong Gu and present amazing chemistry with Im Si Wan.

Veteran actress Seo Jeong Yeon, who starred in various popular dramas “Reborn Rich”, “Our Beloved Summer”, “Descendents of the Sun”, etc., will become Seo Yun Bok’s mother, also his only daily member, and increase viewers’ immersion with her perfect acting.

Road to Boston

Finally, Korean musical actor Jung Yeong Joo, who has proved her unique drama acting in “Business Proposal”, “My Mister”, “The Fiery Priest”, etc., is expected to appear as Ok Rim (Park Eun Bin)’s mother and the owner of the rice soup restaurant Son Kee Chung (Ha Jung Woo) often visits. 

Raising viewers’ expectations with its impressive supporting cast lineup, “Road to Boston” will premiere on September 27th.

source : https://news.nate.com/view/20230913n04610?mid=n1008

*** Star News recently commemorated its 19th anniversary.  As part of its anniversary celebrations, they conducted a survey among 31 industry experts, including representatives from entertainment management companies and production houses. The purpose of the survey was to identify those actor-singers who have had a momentous impact on the industry this year, and those who hold promising potential for the future. Each industry expert was asked to pick two idol actors. Im Siwan is one of the top male idol actors chosen by industry experts.   :Megathanks:

Rank 2 - ZE:A's Siwan, EXO's D.O. (11 votes each)

1694717748-image.png