[Movie 2015] Ode To My Father | 국제시장 | 14 Million Ticket Sales! #2 Korean All-Time Box Office!

Guest IguanaSoap

Guest IguanaSoap

S. Korea sees first ’10 million ticket sales’ film of the year with ‘Ode to My Father’

Moviegoers purchase tickets to see "Ode To My Father" in Seoul. (Yonhap)
Moviegoers purchase tickets to see “Ode To My Father” in Seoul. (Yonhap)

Just 14 days into the new year, South Korea already has a film — “Ode to My Father,” directed by Yoon Je-gyun — that’s sold more than 10 million tickets, its fast-growing standard of box office success.

The film was released Dec. 17 and has recorded 16.7 million ticket sales as of Tuesday, according to the Korean Film Council Wednesday in Korea.

“Ode to My Father” is the 11th domestic film and 14th overall to draw more than 10 million moviegoers to theaters in the country’s history, Yonhap reported.

Starring big-name actor Hwang Jung-min in the leading role, the pic paints a picture of South Korea from the war-ridden 1950s to the present through the eyes of a man’s life.

Yoon is now the only South Korean director with two “10 million tickets” films under his name, the first being “Haeundae” in 2009.

Since 2012, the South Korean film industry has seen its domestic ticket sales surpass 100 million yearly, a feat for a nation of a population of 50 million.

(The Korea Times)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IguanaSoap

Ode To My Father' Tops 10 Millions In Attendance

photo551684.jpg

The hit Korean film 'Ode to My Father' has passed the 10 million viewer mark. 10 million is considered the benchmark for a local film on an average budget to be deemed a huge commercial success. Only 11 other domestic movies have reached the milestone before. Released last month, 'Ode to My Father' follows the life of a man through Korea's turbulent modern history.

Guest IguanaSoap

What the success of movie ‘Ode to My Father’ means to Koreans

Yunho_1420913250_af_org.jpg

"Ode to My Father (also known as Kukje Market in Korean)" directed by Yoon Je-kyoon is set to become the 11th Korean movie that garners more than 10 million viewers. Great popularity of this melodrama movie has made Yoon the first Korean movie director who produced two "10 million club movies," following "Haeundae" in 2009. While great numbers of middle-aged and older generations from their 40s to 70s visited theater, the movie has unexpectedly drawn younger generations and succeeded in pulling both young and old moviegoers.

"Ode to My Father," which is the first domestic movie to draw 10 million viewers this year, traces life of a father who has sacrificed for family while living through difficulties in the modern history of Korea after the Korean War in 1950. Life of the lead character Deok-su (played by Hwang Jeong-min), who gave up his own dream and lived a life full of commitment for his family, pulled heartstrings of many viewers.

The movie hero’s lines, such as “We were born in difficult days. I believe it was fortunate that we had gone through such hardships, not passing the burden to our children,” or “Father, I lived a good life. But it was full of difficulties to me,” became buzzword. Many moviegoers were moved to tears by the scene where Deok-su meets with his youngest sister, who got lost and departed from the family during Heungnam Evacuation of 1950, in the reunion event of families separated by the Korean War.

Major scenes in the movie including Heungnam Evacuation, dispatched miners and nurses to West Germany, engineering technicians sent to the war-torn Vietnam, and the reunion of separated families are all significant events that hold importance in the modern history of Korea. The lead character’s life, going through waves of difficulties to support his family in the least-developed country at that time, 50 years ago, has drawn sympathy from the generation who lived out those days and the youth who never knew about such history. Some of half-learned critics belittled the movie, saying “(It makes me) vomit” or “Ultra-right movie,” but such critics only caused strong backlash.

"Ode to My Father" itself has nothing to do with politics or ideology. But industry insiders analyze that sensational success of the movie would bring about great repercussions to the domestic movie industry where the leftist literature has been so powerful and influential. So far, anti-America and anti-government codes have almost dominated movies about modern Korean historic events and many believed that such movies can make a box office hit. However, the movie that depicts lives of grandparents, fathers and mothers who toiled sweat and blood to achieve industrialization and feed families in the war-ravaged and poverty-stricken land has become a great success in the box office. Storm of the movie "Ode to My Father" will contribute to strike ideological balance and secure cultural diversity in the domestic movie industry.

(Donga.Com)

Guest IguanaSoap

Film on modern Korean history tops 10 Million in attendance

ode-to-my-father.jpg

SEOUL, Jan. 14 (Yonhap) -- A domestic film depicting the life of a typical father from Korea's older generation became this year's first movie to surpass 10 million in attendance on Tuesday, its investor-distributor said.

"Ode to My Father" hit the milestone at 10,000,677 viewers 27 days after it opened on Dec. 17, CJ Entertainment said, adding that it became the 14th film ever to attract 10 million viewers at the local box-office.

In South Korea, average budget films seen by more than 10 million people are considered big commercial successes. Including "Ode to My Father," only 11 domestic films have so far collected more than 10 million viewers.

The film's success comes amid controversy over the film's alleged attempt to idealize the past under the rule of authoritarian regimes.

Directed by Youn Je-kyun, who is best known for the 2009 hit film "Haeundae," "Ode to My Father" tells the story of an ordinary father named Deok-su (played by Hwang Jung-min) who sacrificed himself to support his family through the country's turbulent modern history from the 1950-53 Korean War until recently.

(All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency)

Guest IguanaSoap

Film on modern Korean history tops 10 Million in attendance

xou9PSY.jpg?1

A domestic film depicting the life of a typical father from Korea's older generation became this year's first movie to surpass the 10 million viewer mark at the local box office, a market tracker said Wednesday.

"Ode to My Father" hit the milestone at 10,001,709 viewers Tuesday, 27 days after it opened on Dec. 17, the Korean Film Council said, adding that it became the 14th film ever to attract 10 million viewers at the local box office.

In South Korea, average budget films seen by more than 10 million people are considered big commercial successes. Including "Ode to My Father," only 11 domestic films have so far received more than 10 million viewers.

The film has been No. 1 at the box office except on opening day. It especially appeals to middle-aged and older audiences who rarely go to see movies.

Youn Je-kyun has become the first Korean director to have two films viewed by more than 10 million people, following "Haeundae," which sold 11.45 million tickets in 2009.

"I'm just so thankful," Youn said. "I'm grateful to everyone who has seen this movie for understanding my sincerity."

"Ode to My Father" tells the story of an ordinary father named Deok-su (played by Hwang Jung-min) who sacrificed himself to support his family through the country's turbulent modern history from the 1950-53 Korean War until recently.

The film's success comes amid controversy over the film's alleged attempt to idealize the past under the rule of authoritarian regimes.

But some critics say such a debate helped push up ticket sales, stoking the people's curiosity about the film.

"The film was able to top 10 million in attendance with the combination of various factors, such as being a story of a family and a father, curiosity caused by political debates and an aggressive marketing strategy of CJ Entertainment," Jeong Ji-wuk, a film critic, told Yonhap News Agency.

The ten other Korean films seen by more than 10 million people are "Roaring Currents" (2014, 17.61 million), "The Host" (2006, 13.01 million), "The Thieves" (2012, 12.98 million), "Miracle in Cell No. 7" (2013, 12.81 million), "Gwanghae: the Man Who Became the King" (2012, 12.31 million), "The King and the Clown" (2005, 12.30 million), "Taegukgi" (2004, 11.74 million), "Haeundae" (2009, 11.45 million), "The Attorney" (2013, 11.37 million) and "Silmido (2003, 11.08 million).

Among non-Korean films, "Avatar" (2009, 13.62 million), "Frozen" (2014, 10.29 million) and "Interstellar" (2014, 10.24 million as of Tuesday) are on the list of films that have attracted over 10 million viewers in South Korea. (Yonhap)

(koreaherald)

Guest IguanaSoap

Yunho donates money to help children

Yunho, actor and member of K-pop boy band TVXQ, has donated the appearance fee from his brief stint in the film “Ode to My Father” to ChildFund Korea.

The idol made the financial donation to the Korean nongovernmental group to support children in need at home and abroad.

“I realized how much I should appreciate my parents for their love and support during filming of the movie ‘Ode to My Father,’” he said.

Yunho starred as the 1970s big-name star singer Nam Jin in the Korean family movie “Ode to My Father.”

“I heard that many children are still living in unspeakable conditions. I decided to donate the appearance money to help them grow up with a dream and hope,” he added.

“Ode to My Father” portrays a story about Deok-soo, played by veteran actor Hwang Jung-min, a symbol of typical Korean father who lived through the aftermath of the Korean War (1950-53). It was released on Dec. 17.

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

Guest IguanaSoap

Oh Dal-soo 1st Korean Actor to Draw 100 Million Moviegoers

458800252-actor-oh-dal-soo-attends-the-p

Oh Dal-soo has become the first Korean actor to attract 100 million moviegoers with a string of box-office hits, ranging from "The Thieves" to "Miracle in Cell No. 7" and "The Attorney," each of which drew audiences of over 10 million.

According to the Korean Film Council, the combined number of viewers of his previous 39 films totaled 93.6 million and his latest, "Ode to My Father," had drawn 6.57 million as of Friday.

Oh appears as the best friend of the hero in "Ode to My Father," and together they experience the trials and tribulations of recent history, starting with the Korean War via the coal mines of Germany and the jungles of Vietnam.

He is set to appear in a raft of other films set for release this year.

(The Chosun Ilbo)

Guest IguanaSoap

'Lost' Actress Yunjin Kim Reflects on Immigrant Life, Talks About Ode to My Father

Yunjin Kim

Yunjin Kim is not new to representing the Asian American fabric, having risen to international fame as Sun in Lost. The Mistresses star has now returned to South Korean cinema with a unique role that enables her to reflect on the Korean diaspora.

"My family emigrated to the U.S. when I was 10 years old, and like it was for many immigrant families, life was extremely tough for my parents," Kim said following a press screening Monday in Seoul for Ode to My Father.

The CJ Entertainment film, directed by J.K. Youn (the 2009 tsunami blockbuster Haeundae, aka Tidal Wave), begins when the Korean War (1950-53) breaks out, and a young boy named Duk-soo must fill his missing father's shoes as his displaced family, originally from what is now North Korea, flees to the southern port city of Busan. He works all manners of odd jobs to support his family, such as mining coal in Germany, where he meets fellow migrant worker Young-ja (Kim), a nurse.

"My mother worked temporarily at a senior home and was responsible for doing work that was very similar to my character's in the film," said the 41-year-old. "My father was also stationed in Kuwait for three years."

In the film, Young-ja must wait anxiously for the safe return of her beloved from the dangerous mines and later from doing business in war-torn Vietnam. "My parents were deep in my thoughts, as well as my own experience growing up in a foreign country and the loneliness that only immigrants can feel. It was extremely inspiring," said Kim.

Kim added that it was "a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and an experience to truly treasure" to be able to play a character from her 20s all the way to her 70s in this generational epic about making sacrifices for one's family as South Korea makes rapid development from an aid-receiving country to an aid-giving one.

"Korea has an extremely sad modern history, and I had to choose only a few iconic moments," said director Youn about featuring the outbreak of the Korean War, Korean migrant workers in Germany, Korean soldiers fighting in the Vietnam War and finally massive efforts in South Korea in 1983 to help families find separated members during the Korean War.

"This is ultimately a story about empathy, and I hope younger generations will understand the sacrifices made by elders and that elders will understand the generational gaps that youths feel today," said Youn, who was inspired by his own parents who also gave the lead characters their names.

(The Hollywood Reporter)

Guest IguanaSoap

JK Youn Director of Ode to My Father

ZoWQGfjIERLNhmqhLtvr.jpg

"I wanted to prove that I can make well-made commercial films"

JK Youn’s Ode to My Father reached 4 million admissions in just 14 days, after its release on December 17th. It’s not a surprise for JK Youn who is known as one of the ’10 million admissions directors’. Will he be able to record a second 10 million hit film? Although we won’t know the final number for the film just yet, Ode to My Father has a personal meaning to YOUN. He has confessed that it’s a film made for his father and has been dreaming of creating it for ten years. Ode to My Father has also been invited officially to the Berlin International Film Festival in the Panorama Section, which gave the director the honor of being invited to an international film festival for the first time. We sat down with JK Youn to know more about Ode to My Father.

How did you come to work on Ode to My Father?

I had my first child in 2004. The milestone made me think of my father who had passed away. I never had a chance to say thank you, and dreamt to make a film about fatherhood for him. However, in order to express the times set in the film, we needed at least USD 10 million. At the time, I was a failed director due to weak box office performance of Crazy Assassins (2003). Who would invest in such a director? However, after the box office hit Haeundae in 2009, I was able to start working on Ode to My Father.

Hwang Jung-min plays Deok-su from his 20s to senior years. Why did you choose Hwang for the role?

I needed an actor with a wide spectrum, who would be able to cover the character from his 20s to his 70s. There are many actors who would be able to cover the 30s to later years, but I could only think of Hwang Jung-min for Deok-su in Ode to My Father. Also, I thought his personality was very close to my father and me. We’re direct, but we have good intentions.

KIM Yun-jin who has her feet in Hollywood took on a feminine role in Ode to My Father, which was quite a surprise.

May people think that Kim Yun-jin suits a powerful character, but in reality, she is very feminine and soft. There were several scenes when authenticity was crucial, especially the scene where she cries her heart out, trying to save her loved one. I couldn’t think of anyone else but Kim. Also, I was interested in showing a different side of her that people are not aware of. Has anyone seen her romantic comedy? It is a newly found KIM Yun-jin in Ode to My Father.

The Korean title for the film is Gukje Market (International Market), located in Busan. Is there a reason why you chose it as your setting?

I was thinking about what location would be most suitable to show the historical changes in Korea during our parents’ generation and landed on Kukje Market. We went around the city of Busan a few times and then built a set in Gi-jang. To create the massive market, the production design team had to work on the set for 2 to 3 months. Although we fell in love with the set, we couldn’t keep it for very long. So on the last day of the shoot, we used it in the explosion scene. Watching the set burn down, really made us sad.

You’ve filmed in Busan, Seoul, Thailand and even Czech Republic, while bringing in a special make-up team from Sweden. What was the most memorable shoot for you?

The old coal mine in Czech Republic, which was shot as the German coal mine, actually had real coals. It was the perfect place for the shoot. We were able to utilize actual machinery that was used in that time, creating a realistic atmosphere. The actors really gave their all for these tough scenes, so it was most memorable to me. Not only that, many Czech staff members and supporting actors praised KIM Yun-jin’s performance. She has never studied German before, but her German skills were quite impressive. She practiced day and night to perfect her pronunciation and accents and the results were phenomenal.

What did you want to accomplish through Ode to My Father?

Many people recognize me as a comedy director, but I wanted to prove that I can make well-made commercial films. I really wanted to make a good film.

I think you’ve proved yourself through Berlin International Film Festival’s invitation.

It’s definitely an accomplishment. One of the Berlin programmers had commented that Ode to My Father is a well-made human drama in front of the backdrop of Korean contemporary history. But the comment about “emotionally-charged” made me the most ecstatic. I’m very curious to find out what the international audiences will think of this film. It has a very strong Korean color to it, but with the global relevance to family, love, and fatherhood; I think it’ll be relatable to everyone. I can’t wait to see their reactions.

(Korean Film)

Guest IguanaSoap

News: ODE TO MY FATHER Joins the 10 Million Viewer Club

2014%2B-%2BOde%2Bto%2BMy%2BFather%2B%28s

After four weeks, JK Youn's blockbuster melodrama Ode to My Father joined the 10 million viewer club last night. It is the 11th Korean film to do so at the local box office and the 14th overall. It's also the fourth film of 2014 to reach the mark (a record), along with Frozen, Roaring Currents and Interstellar, and the first time that a director has breached the barrier twice, since Youn's previously managed the feat with Haeundae in 2009.

Ode to My Father was still number one at the box office last night with 155,638 admissions and a 41.6% market share, so it could still go quite a bit further before all is said and done. The film featured Hwang Jung-min as a man who tries to provide for his family as he gets involved in numerous historical episodes over the course of a few decades.

(Modern Korean Cinema)

Guest IguanaSoap

JK Youn’s Ode to My Father Invited to 65th Berlinale

jrldvmof0oxw.jpg

Korean “Modern History” and “National Trauma” to Be Introduced in Panorama

Announced on December 16th, the Berlin International Film Festival confirmed 19 films for its Panorama section. This section which is focusing on 'Probing the Past to Shape the Future' for 2015 invited eleven features and eight documentaries, where JK Youn’s most recent epic Ode to My Father made the cut.

Last year, the only Korean film in Panorama was Leesong Hee-il's Night Flight. Another film by the director, White Night (2013), was invited the year before. 2013 had a few more Korean titles along with Leesong's film such as Behind the Camera, Jury, and Fatal.The very first Korean film to ever be invited to Panorama was in 1961 with Dae Jin-kang's Mabu.

Labeled by Panorama Head Wieland Speck as Korean ‘modern history’ and ‘national trauma’, Ode to My Father takes a journey through the life of a single man who lives through major contemporary Korean history milestones. From the hardships of the Korean War, to working in Germany’s grim coal mines, to the Vietnam War, the man struggles to support his family despite all his hurdles. Relying on the strong attachment of Korean society towards family ties and the unfortunate fate of the breadwinner, You draws out local tastes while focusing on the universal language of love and loyalty. With strong star casting that includes Hwang Jung-min (A Good Lawyer’s Wife [2003], You Are My Sunshine [2005]) and the Lost TV series actress Kim Yun-jin, the film has high expectations in the local market and is hoping to hit 10 million admissions. The film opens today in Korea.

The move to Germany to work in a coal mine stems from the historical fact that Korea was lacking jobs during the 60s to the 80s. Men went through rigorous interviews to be hired at mines and women went abroad to work as assistant nurses. Despite the harshness of the work and the hardship of moving to a new country, many volunteered in order to make a living. This historical event was reflected in the film, and the portrayal of Germany of that time from the perspective of the Korean worker might be an interesting take for German audiences.

Another East Asian title in Panorama announced in the release is none other than Taiwanese film by director Doze Che-Zer Niu, Paradise in Service which had its international premiere at the 2014 Busan International Film Festival as the opening film. Both Ode to My Father and Paradise in Service were influenced by the directors’ personal lives and their fathers.

For the moment, Berlin has announced parts of its Perspektive Deutsches Kino, Generation and Competition sections as well. The full list of films should be released in the coming weeks. The Berlin International Film Festival runs from February 5th to the 15th next year.

(Koran Film Biz Zone)

Guest IguanaSoap

Domestic Movie Phenomenon 'Ode to My Father' Crosses 10M Admissions in South Korea

'Ode to My Father'

South Korean drama Ode to My Father crossed 10 million admissions in the Korean box office on Wednesday, becoming one of the few films here to attract a fifth of the local population (50 million).

Korean offices primarily use admissions to measure box-office performance, and the CJ Entertainment release has become the 11th Korean film, and 14th overall, to garner 10 million admissions. Only three non-Korean titles—Avatar, Frozen and Interstellar—have reached the milestone in local box-office history.

In financial terms, Ode to My Father has grossed about $72 million (77.9 billion won) according to the Korean Film Council's KOBIS database on Wednesday. Lost actress Yunjin Kim stars in this generational epic about making sacrifices for one's family amid Korea's fast economic development following the Korean War (1950-53).

The film is directed by JK Youn, who is now the first director to have more than one title in "the elite 10-million admissions club." Youn's 2009 tsunami blockbuster Tidal Wave (a.k.a. Haeundae), also distributed by CJ Entertainment, brought in 11.32 million admissions (about $75 million).

Critics have attributed the film's success to the mainstream appeal of family dramas centered on paternal love, and as well CJ Entertainment's proactive, almost aggressive marketing tactics. Controversial political interpretations of the story have also hotwired media and SNS outlets. Ode has been topping the local box office for four straight weeks and will make its international premiere at the Berlin Film Festival next month.

Meanwhile, Interstellar crossed 10 million admissions on Christmas Day last year. Still showing in theaters since becoming a local phenomenon, the Christopher Nolan space epic has so far brought in more than 10.24 million viewers or more than $75.63 million according to the Korean Film Council.

(The Hollywood Reporter)

Guest IguanaSoap

Special tour of Gukje Market recalls movie

Gukje_market_L2.jpg
People take selfies in front of Kkobbunine, the shop which the character Deoksu runs in the movie 'Ode to My Father.' Much of the movie was filmed in and around Gukje Market in Busan.

As the movie "Ode to My Father" is winning popularity across the country, a tourism program involving Busan's Gukje Market has now been launched.

The Busan Tourism Organization (BTO) announced that starting January 3 it will run a special tour designed to introduce the film's shooting locations, many of which are in and around Gukje Market in Jung-gu (district) in Busan. The movie's title in Korean is, "Gukje Shijang," or, "International Market," named after this Busan icon.

A BTO officer said, “’Ode to My Father’ shows the tragedy of Korea’s modern history, stretching from the Korean War to the nationwide campaign to find separated family members, and its background is Busan.”

“Since the movie opened, the number of visitors to Gukje Market has doubled during weekdays and even quadrupled during the weekends. The shop which the character Deoksu ran, Kkobbunine, has become a must-see among visitors,” said the officer.

Gukje Market is one of the well-known traditional markets in Busan. It's home to about 1,500 shops, including linen shops, boutiques and hardware stores. The market is composed of food alleys, the Arirang Street, the Street of Youth, the Kkangtong Market, or Canned Food Market, and second-hand stores. During the Korean War (1950-1953), the market became the foundation of survival for many refugees who flocked to Busan from every corner of the country.

The free tour will run a total of 16 times this January. The tour will begin on both Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m. A special tour can be arranged at any time during the weekday for groups of more than 10 people. Tour-goers will learn more about the history of the city, old central Busan and the market which was portrayed in the movie from one of the two special tour guides, who will tell interesting stories about each of location.

To sign up for the tour, please apply online at the BTO's homepage (http://bto.or.kr).

Gukje_market_L1.jpg

By Yoon Sojung
Korea.net Staff Writer
Photos: Busan Tourism Organization
arete@korea.kr

Guest IguanaSoap

'Ode to My Father' crew to help homeless

PYH2014122502520001300_P2-450%280%29.jpg
Poster of "Ode to My Father" / Yonhap

The crew of the hit film "Ode to My Father" will take to the streets this week to offer free meals to those in need.

Director Yoon Jae-gyun and the rest of the film crew will head to Cheongnyangni, in the Dongdaemun district, on Wednesday and offer 1,000 free meals, multiple reports said. It was not immediately known whether any of the film's stars would participate.

The crew will prepare the food, serve it, and wash dishes. The film will be screened at a nearby theater free of charge.

The film, which currently sits atop the Korean box office, depicts Korean history from the 1950s to the present day through the life of an ordinary family man.

K2014122900326-450.jpg
People lined up to receive free meals in Cheongnyangni, northern Seoul./ Korea Times file

(Korea Times)

Guest IguanaSoap

Box-office hit rubs off on Gukje Market

Y2014122801401.450jpg.jpg
Shoppers look around stalls in Gukje Market in the southern port city of Busan. / Yonhap

By Kim Bo-eun

The popularity of the film "Ode to my Father" has prompted a renaissance at Busan's Gukje Market, where part of the movie was shot.

Viewers of the film have flocked to the market in the southern port city since the release of the film on Dec. 17. The influx prompted the Busan Tourism Organization to launch a tour focused on sites that appear in the movie.

The film, which has been seen by more than 8 million people since its release ― revolves around Deok-soo, played by Hwang Jung-min, who lived through Korea's tumultuous period between the 1950s and 1980s. Deok-soo undergoes all sorts of hardships as he works as a coal miner in Germany and a civilian worker during the Vietnam War to support his family that runs a shop in Gukje Market.

The history of the market itself is as interesting as the film.

The beginnings of the market cropped up when Korea was liberated from Japan's colonial rule in 1945. Three years later, the market was officially named and a single-floor wooden building of 12 units was constructed to house the shops.

As the film depicts, the marketplace was a settling ground for a large number of refugees that crossed the border from the North during the Korean War (1950-1953).

The refugees, who had no ties in the city, built their livelihoods as merchants at the market. They got a hold of relief goods, military equipment and consumer goods and started selling them. The market began to play a central role as a retail outlet in the city along with the commercial districts of Gwangbok-dong and Nampo-dong.

Among the settlers in Busan, there were also literati from Seoul who had come seeking refuge. As they sought their livelihood in the market, it grew not only as a place of commerce but also as a melting pot for various rungs of society, and became the center of information and change.

The market took the form of a wholesale and retail market as the war ended and the economy started taking shape. In 1968, nine units were renovated into concrete buildings, some 7,200 square meters of land were granted and 1,489 individual shops were registered. A year later, a cooperative was established, and it received a permit from the government.

Tourists can look around the market that sells everything from fashion items to household products to food. The highlight, however, is sitting at the outdoor stalls and trying the assortment of snacks that are offered. Included in the wide variety are tteok-bokki (rice cakes in hot sauce), patjuk (red-bean soup) and hotteok (pancake stuffed with brown sugar).

(Korea Times)

January 14, 2015
'Ode to My Father' attendance
PYH2015011402510031500_P2.jpg
Shown is a poster at a movie theater in Seoul on Jan. 14, 2015, of "Ode to My Father," the film depicting the life of a typical father who sacrificed himself to support his family through South Korea's turbulent modern history from the 1950-53 Korean War until recently. The film attracted 10 million viewers on the day, the 28th day since its debut on Dec. 17. (Yonhap) (END)

Guest IguanaSoap

'Ode to My Father' exceeds 10 million viewers

7R4d7j4.jpg?1

Movie 'Ode to My Father (International Market)' exceeded 10 million viewers, and director Yoon Je Kyun left brief comments in appreciation.

Movie 'Ode to My Father' was officially released on December 17th, and on January 13th, the movie officially exceeded 10 million viewers. Director Yoon Je Kyun, who had attracted 10 million viewers with movie 'Haeundae' back in 2009, became the first Korean film director who directed two films that attracted 10 million viewers.

'Ode to My Father' exceeded 10 million viewers 6 days faster than 'Haeundae (11,453,338 viewers),' 5 days faster than 'The Attorney (11,375,954 viewers),' and four days faster than 'The Host (10,917,221 viewers)' and 'Miracle in Cell No.7 (12,811,213 viewers).' Most of the movies get less and less viewers as time passes, but 'Ode to My Father' started getting even more viewers in its 2nd and 3rd weeks.

Director Yoon Je Kyun said, "All I can say is thank you. The joy and excitement was just overwhelming when 'Haeundae' exceeded 10 million viewers, and now, I feel grateful for the fact that many people recognized my efforts. Thank you is the best thing that I can say at the moment."

All of the actors and actresses also got to set up a major milestone of their career as 'Ode to My Father' exceeded 10 million viewers. 'Ode to My Father' became the first film that attracted over 10 million viewers for Hwang Jung Min and Kim Yoon Jin, and Hwang Jung Min, who played as Duk Soo, said, "I feel so overwhelmed, and I would like to share this joy with all of the audiences. 'Ode to My Father' could become so successful thanks to all of the audiences."

Kim Yoon Jin, who played as Young Ja said, "'Ode to My Father' is a tribute to all of our parents and grand parents, and it is going to remain as one of the most meaningful films of my career. I feel so overwhelmed for such amazing love and supports that so many people have showed for the movie, and I hope that they will keep showing the same supports for the film for a long time."

In addition, actor Oh Dal Soo said, "The love and supports that many people have showed for the movie is much more precious than the total number of viewers. Thank you so much, and please keep showing a lot of supports for Korean films."

Meanwhile, CJ E&M, the distribution agency of 'Ode to My Father,' also made a great achievement of producing another major hit film.

(Star News)

Guest IguanaSoap

Hwang Jung Min In an interview with SBS‘s Midnight TV Entertainment

RKhkGbK.png?1

In an interview with SBS‘s Midnight TV Entertainment on November 26th, actor Hwang Jung Min revealed that Sooyoung from Girls’ Generation is still his ideal girlfriend.

Hwang Jung Min was on the show promoting his upcoming movie Ode To My Father when he was asked by MC Jo Yeong Goo whether or not she was still his ideal match.

Meanwhile, Ode To My Father is a movie that talks about the difficult times people faced from the Korean War to present day. Hwang Jung Min stars alongside Kim Yunjin and Oh Dal Su.

(koreaboo)

Guest IguanaSoap

Jung Yunho of Film ‘Ode to My Father’ on the Stage Scene of Stage Greetings

still_01 (2)

Film Ode to My Father had stage greetings on December 2. Director Yoon Je-kyun and Jung Yunho participated.

Film Ode to My Father is a story of a man named Deok-su (Hwang Jung-min) who has lived his life for only his family. This film reflects lives of fathers at that time who dedicated themselves to their families. Director Yoon Je-kyun and Jung Yunho who appears as ‘NamJin’ (Namjin was Korea’s representative singer in 1970s) visited Daehan Cinema for the stage greetings.

Jung Yunho said, “It was such an honor to work with director Yoon Je-kyun and other senior actors in this film.”“It is first time for me to finally watch this film. I hope many people to enjoy this film. I also hope this film go viral,” he added.

Little ‘Deok-su’ and ‘Dal-goo,’ cute combination in the film also participated in the event alongside director Yoon Je-kyun and Jung Yunho.

Jung Yunho also stated, “This film solely shows tough life of my parents’ generation. So, I felt appreciated during filming. This is also a touching film that warms your heart.” He also said “I am really glad to see you” in accent of Jeolla Province, singer Namjin used to speak in.

(Get It)

Archived