[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

How far are we into Gwanghae's reign and how old is the Princess?  Gwanghae rule for 15 years, so I guess her identity being exposed will depend on where we are in the reign.  

Hi ​@tulip06  Great comment!
I don't remember seeing any mentioning of the year Gwanghae has reigned so far. We haven't seen much of his work except this weapon development. But I'll assume a minimum of 5 years into the reign. It should take at least that much time for the princess to grow up and lose her baby fat to the point that her own brother and the 2 boys who liked her can't recognize her now.

​I think we are more than mid-way at least.  I think @Valsava is right and there'll be a coup around ep 20 since there's a build-up to it now.  Also, in the promo posters, the Princess is shown between the two kings, so she has to handle them both.  And we know Injo was awful as a king.  Plus, I think Injo will marry the Princess to Hong JooWon per history to get him out of government while pretending to acknowledge his family's loyalty.  Pity, because I love her with Kang In Woo and the guy from the mine. :-)

​Gwanghae reigned from 1608 - 1623. Gwanghae ascended the throne at the end of Episode 2, and we were told in Episode 3 that 5 years had passed (hence 1613). At the beginning of Episode 8, subtitles say it's the 10th year of Gwanghae's reign, which would make the current year 1618.

Heo Gyun / Gyosan was executed in 1618, so there's another 5 years until the Westerner political faction deposes Gwanghae (1623) in favour of Injo. I'm guessing we'll be introduced to Injo by Episode 23.  

The drama did weave other historical events in, such as reopening trade with Japan (in the drama, this occurred once Japan agreed to exclusively provide Joseon with sulfur) and sending ambassadors there between 1617 - 1618 (Joo-won). We also saw some of the Joseon-Ming conflict where Gwanghae refused to send troops in support of Ming, establishing friendly relations with the Later Jin instead. 

The Queen Dowager (Jungmyung's mother) was indeed stripped of her Daebi title in 1618, so Hwajung's been staying pretty true to history with regard to events.

------------------------

I am certain that Ja Gyung was the one asking for Jungmyung/Hwayi's whereabouts at the end of EP 18 - definitely excited to see him back onscreen again. :)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​It needs to: it's 50 episodes!  It's doing really well, and I'm so impressed.  Also, Lee Yeon Hee's acting is good, so I'm amazed at her haters. 

​I know. That's why I'm so impressed 'cause we have almost 20 episodes behind us and there was no useless episode so far. I mean - episode that has almost nothing to do with the main plot like chosing miss harem or smth. ;)

I still don't know what Lee Yeon Hee's haters want from her. She's not bad. Sure I've seen better actresses but believe me - I've also seen worse. 

After 17th episode I'm sure of one thing - I'd love if In Woo wasn't the second lead. I mean I love Joo Won as a character but... not as love interest. It seems I'll have second lead syndrome till the end of the drama (while liking the male lead). :D 

​@cedarwood,  Just asking, I don't know why some people associate TWDR with that drama I don't see the connection I thought the seer would have made a better connection the TWDR.. 

​I read somewhere (probably dramabeans) that 6 flying dragons is the sequel of Tree with deep roots

@cedarwood   TWDR is beyond awesome. It is a masterpiece. And just as we are in awe here of Cha Seung-Won depiction of Gwanghae, you will be equally in awe of Han Suk-Kyu depiction of King Sejong.

​I've watched first 3 episodes - the beginning was great but then 2 episodes I find a bit boring (I usually feel that way when I have to watch episodes with kids - Hwajung was an exception). Still will continue to watch, I'm waiting impatiently for adult charactes. :)

@valsava

Tree with Deep Root has the same production team (PD & Scriptwriter) with the 6 Flying Dragon.

Initially last year, they want to release the prequel to Tree with Deep Root, titled Unprecedented (Pacheon-hwang/ 파천황) to broadcast with MBC but the success of KBS drama "Jeong Do Jeon" that played the same line - dealing with the character Jeong Do Jeon & MBC mess up of trying to launch Dae Jang Geum 2, nothing happened

The team had to go back to the drawing board to rework the script & finally came out with "6 Flying Dragon" to be broadcast with the same broadcaster SBS that broadcaster Tree With Deep Root

​@cedarwood,  Just asking, I don't know why some people associate TWDR with that drama I don't see the connection I thought the seer would have made a better connection the TWDR.. 

​I read somewhere (probably dramabeans) that 6 flying dragons is the sequel of Tree with deep roots

Six Flying Dragons is produced by the same writer-director team behind Tree with Deep Roots, and will be detailing the clashes between Jung Do-jeon (centralised government, power held by ministers) and Yi Bang-won / King Taejong (absolute monarchy).

Tree With Deep Roots features Yi Bang-won (main character of SFD) in the earlier episodes, and TWDR also spends quite some time exploring the political and ideological views of Jung Do-jeon through conflict with Hidden Root and Jung Ki-joon (nephew of JDJ), hence SFD can be seen as a prequel of sorts.

---------------------

Back to Hwajung - I'm hoping that the writer will make Jungmyung more politically aware in the near future - it's fine if she wants to take revenge, but she has to realise that during this period of turmoil, "Joseon needs a King like Gwanghae." (Joo-won). I'm cutting the conservative politicians some slack, but Jungmyung is the lead character that will be supporting the next 33 episodes, and potentially be living through the rule of three kings (depending on how the writer ends the drama). 

@yoonmi66

"but Jungmyung is the lead character that will be supporting the next 33 episodes, and potentially be living through the rule of three kings (depending on how the writer ends the drama)."

Princess Jeongmyeong life (1603-1685) lives through from reign of Seonjo (14th) to Sukjong (19th)

Her great benevolence deed to the public will come at the 2nd Manchu Invasion (1636-1637) that she gains the people recognition.

@yoonmi66

"but Jungmyung is the lead character that will be supporting the next 33 episodes, and potentially be living through the rule of three kings (depending on how the writer ends the drama)."

Princess Jeongmyeong life (1603-1685) lives through from reign of Seonjo (14th) to Sukjong (19th)

Her great benevolence deed to the public will come at the 2nd Manchu Invasion (1636-1637) that she gains the people recognition.

I am assuming the bulk of the story (and drama) will end after Injo's reign (all reports are saying Kim Jae-won will carry the second half), and that her later life will only be touched upon briefly. Therefore ​I was counting from the end of Injo's reign, not from her birth, which would make it Hyojong - Hyeonjong - Sukjong. 

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough, but I meant more awareness of the current political climate under Gwanghae. We all know that she will become a hero of the people, but as a viewer, I am more interested in her personal growth, which ideally should have begun once she entered Joseon.

Like in all dramas, the characterisation (of Jungmyung) needs to be built up gradually from basics and fleshed out properly. That would be the more desirable option, compared to the usual lazy way of writing where Jungmyung will get an IQ/EQ boost and have a sudden revelation that Joseon should come before personal vendetta. 

Perhaps I'll be rewarded if I extended my patience for another 5 or so episodes. So far, the writer is doing a great job propelling the story forward, but I feel it is at the expense of the characterisation of Jungmyung. Just my two cents.

EP 18  RECAP  by  Kihui Kim

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 18 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

Gwanghae (Cha Seung Won) weeps hot tears looking at Princess Jeongmyeong (Lee Yeon Hee) who has been through many storms of life due to him. The stepsister begs him to save Queen Inmok (Shin Eun Jung) and takes her life instead of hers. 
Yi Icheom (Jung Woong In) and Kim Gae Shi (Kim Yeo Jin) arrive there to bring him to the palace for the meeting and Gwanghae helps her not to be caught on and leaves everything about her up to Hong Joo Won (Seo Kang Joon). Icheom and Gae Shi look at the King a bit askance because he orders to release the master craftsman.

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 18 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

The King instructs Icheom to side with Heo Gyun (Ahn Nae Sang) whatever he claims when he puts the matter about Inmok's conspiracy to the vote.
Chief retainers and royal families who are sold themselves for a handful of silver of Kang Joo Sun (Jo Sung Ha) show an enthusiastic attitude about the Queen's deposition or execution under the pretense of keeping the King.
Gwanghae announces that he doesn't feel the need to kill or depose her thanks to the loyal subjects and he will get her just demoted to a lower position.

Gwanghae gives Jeongmyeong an opportunity to see her mother in Gyeongungung. Mother and daughter hold each other and weep. Inmok asks her to hurry off to fly the approach of danger from the political opponent. Unfortunately, the old woman on the point of saying about the beads when Joo Won lets them know that she has to leave before the changing time of the guards and the Princess doesn't hear why she had to be dead. 

Kang In Woo (Han Joo Wan) belatedly arrived at Gyeongungung due to private guards of his father bumps into his friend in front of the house and realizes that he finally knows she is the Princess. He speaks in a voice filled with assurance, "I will take care of her from now. She won't forgive Gwanghae and You will never fail his trust when he will be obliged to point a sword at her in the end." 

Heo Gyun is in a hopeless situation and visits Joo Sun to ask him to help him. The power behind the Throne pretends they are still on the same page, but he whispers an instruction to his man to knock Gyun and his men off on the q.t.
The King lets Icheom lure the betrayer to find a way to punish him and the Princess makes a promise to help the King even though he tries to dissuade him. 
Meanwhile, Gae Shi has a glimmer of what the King is hiding looking at a picture of the beads of Jeongmyeong.

A kitchen staff in Hawgidogam shows a handsome man the way to Joo Won's house where Hawi is staying.  Joo Won came back home sees a man who is about to stab Jeongmyeong in the back and runs up and throws his arms around her. The swordsman unexpectedly plunges the knife into his back. 

@valsava

Tree with Deep Root has the same production team (PD & Scriptwriter) with the 6 Flying Dragon.

Initially last year, they want to release the prequel to Tree with Deep Root, titled Unprecedented (Pacheon-hwang/ 파천황) to broadcast with MBC but the success of KBS drama "Jeong Do Jeon" that played the same line - dealing with the character Jeong Do Jeon & MBC mess up of trying to launch Dae Jang Geum 2, nothing happened

The team had to go back to the drawing board to rework the script & finally came out with "6 Flying Dragon" to be broadcast with the same broadcaster SBS that broadcaster Tree With Deep Root

​`@gerrytan8063, OKay but I can't see how TWDR is related to Taejong or was it typo and should have been Sejong well I'll re-watch them both before the starts.. 

So I was one episode off we should have the coupe around episode 22 or 23 but I was thinking maybe they want to give each  King actor 25 episodes a piece.. I knew IW will be a snake if you ever want to see one I just hope JW and his father survive this        

​@cedarwood,  I know just what you mean I'm holding out until later tonight I always save the best for last before drifting off to sleep.. BTW will you also be watching 6 flying dragons.. 

I'm in the middle of 17th episode - wow! The drama keeps its quality. It truly is a masterpiece.

I'll probably watch 6 flying dragons (trying to watch Tree with deep roots). Why?

​It needs to: it's 50 episodes!  It's doing really well, and I'm so impressed.  Also, Lee Yeon Hee's acting is good, so I'm amazed at her haters. 

​Agree with both  of you, when I heard this was 50 episodes, I thought for sure first 20 will be a drag...but it has nice pacing and stays exciting each episode.

Lee Yeon Hee is fine(acting and looks heheh), never understood at all the hating from netizens:blink:

Can;t wait to get off work to watch the episodes...

​@cedarwood,  I know just what you mean I'm holding out until later tonight I always save the best for last before drifting off to sleep.. BTW will you also be watching 6 flying dragons.. 

I'm in the middle of 17th episode - wow! The drama keeps its quality. It truly is a masterpiece.

I'll probably watch 6 flying dragons (trying to watch Tree with deep roots). Why?

​Agree with both  of you, when I heard this was 50 episodes, I thought for sure first 20 will be a drag...but it has nice pacing and stays exciting each episode.

Lee Yeon Hee is fine(acting and looks heheh), never understood at all the hating from netizens:blink:

Can;t wait to get off work to watch the episodes...

​@mangekyux,  IW will be off searching for the next King and his dad will have the dowager thinking he's doing all he can to help her but with his help he has to promise to marry the princess to IW.. IW the boy that have no interest in politics  or what happens in the court will be out making his own King..  

​I know. That's why I'm so impressed 'cause we have almost 20 episodes behind us and there was no useless episode so far. I mean - episode that has almost nothing to do with the main plot like chosing miss harem or smth. ;)

I still don't know what Lee Yeon Hee's haters want from her. She's not bad. Sure I've seen better actresses but believe me - I've also seen worse. 

After 17th episode I'm sure of one thing - I'd love if In Woo wasn't the second lead. I mean I love Joo Won as a character but... not as love interest. It seems I'll have second lead syndrome till the end of the drama (while liking the male lead). :D 

​Me too.  Joo Won is just too clueless.  

JA GYUNG IS BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wub:

I knew it, he had to be back pretty soon. And he just arrived when he's needed the most.... I'm fangirling over here big time... I love this drama, enjoying every minute of it... The only item I dislike is Gae Shi, but I guess she's meant to be disliked... oh, and I still have an issue with indoor scenes' lighting; something is not right...

Ahhhh the wait for next episode is painful...

On another note... Tree with Deep Roots is one of my favorite Sageuks, so I'm looking forward to 6 flying dragons... too bad Jang Hyuk won't be on that one... hahahaha

@valsava

"OKay but I can't see how TWDR is related to Taejong or was it typo and should have been Sejong well I'll re-watch them both before the starts.. "

Taejong (also know by his name Yi Bang Won) appear in Tree with Deep Root when Song Joong Ki played the young Sejong

Just the note"Tree with Deep Root", is the book is written by Lee Jung Myeong, he also wrote "Painter of the Wind"

@valsava

"OKay but I can't see how TWDR is related to Taejong or was it typo and should have been Sejong well I'll re-watch them both before the starts.. "

Taejong (also know by his name Yi Bang Won) appear in Tree with Deep Root when Song Joong Ki played the young Sejong

Just the note"Tree with Deep Root", is the book is written by Lee Jung Myeong, he also wrote "Painter of the Wind"

​@gerrytan8063,  Noted  I just read and article in the 6 FD and found the connection so I decided to watch both drama again before they all starts it even mention Hwajung in the article 

JA GYUNG IS BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@stclaus, Yesssssss, I know, like the girl working at the weapon's bureau said, "another flower boy looking for Hwa Yi, handsome men must hang out together?" LOL!!! even with that big straw hat you can tell just by looking at the way he carries himself, it is JA GYUNG!!! Princess Jung Myeong's Tal Tal. I hope he can make it in time to save the wounded Joo Won from getting seriously hurt and Hwa Yi from being killed,

One of the elements that surprised me in the latest episodes is that the King did not seem overly surprised or shocked to hear about Gyosan betrayal. At least so far, it has not taken a big part. I wonder why.
I juts want more Cha Seung-Won screen time.

@cedarwood   TWDR is beyond awesome. It is a masterpiece. And just as we are in awe here of Cha Seung-Won depiction of Gwanghae, you will be equally in awe of Han Suk-Kyu depiction of King Sejong.

Gwanghae has told Gae Shi, Joo Won that he does not trust anyone. He is a seasoned politician, so Gyosan's betrayal must be something that he will expect since the norm for the royal courts at that time was survival of the fittest. it must be lonely at the top.and very sad that everyone is gunning for him except for Joo Won. 

Guest purpledrama

Woww loved loved this week episodes ;) 

Wowww so excited that Hwayi revealed herself to the king well i think was most because her mother was in danger and she had to do something and this was the only thing to do to save her.. and cause saying she was the princess the king could believe her 

posterphoto601645.jpg

This scene with the king was great CSW he is really great actor i really believed him he was surprised but emotional to see the princess both did great in this scene :) 

I think one of the reasons the king haven't say anything about the princess is cause he knows the people around him will try to kill her like they did before he still a good person and he cares about her... but Ga shi she is already suspecting about Hwayi and pretty sure she figured out she is the princess...

posterphoto601835.jpg

Falling for In woo like u guys said second lead syndrome :( i think he has more material to be the lead (i like Joo-won too) but In woo is really doing great job with his character i think he has more chemistry with the princess this scene was so nice 

clipart-in-love-girl-smiley-emoticon-256

003010000001[1]

@zenya22

"even with that big straw hat you can tell just by looking at the way he carries himself, it is JA GYUNG!!!"

The straw hat is called a sat kat (삿갓,笠), a conical hat that is make out of weave bamboo that they wear for rain. You can buy them for W25,000

There is a famous poet who is noted in wearing this hat as his signature. He is called Kim Sat Gat (김삿갓)

Archived