[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for fun to light up the day.  :D

화정-HD Photo TopStarNews.Net

as tagged

BTS, the funny Trio!

Thank you everyone for all the interesting posts regarding the history of Joseon and Gwanghaegon’s reign. I have been researching online about this king also and here is another excerpt from an article by the writer below. I selected some of paragraphs that he wrote in keeping with the discussion in this forum about the policies and reasons for the policies instituted by of Gwanghaegon only as a point of discussion. Following is the excerpt.

By Jonathan Hongsoon Kim

“Gwanghaegun wished to preserve the relatively weak nation of Joseon that was stuck in a dangerous power struggle. He realized that blindly siding with either side was risky. He tried to remain as neutral as possible and gain what he could for Joseon in the process. Although the Ming dynasty and Later Jinn have both long disappeared in history, I believe that this idea can indeed be implemented to modern day nations, including Korea.

Gwanghaegun wished to preserve the relatively weak nation of Joseon that was stuck in a dangerous power struggle. He realized that blindly siding with either side was risky. He tried to remain as neutral as possible and gain what he could for Joseon in the process.

Gwanghaegun refused to be restricted by the ties of tradition or appeasement when initiating diplomacy that would be practical and favorable for his own He wanted to ensure that his country could keep its sovereignty and dignity in a chaotic situation through policies that focused not on the so-called obligations of tradition, but on practicality. Such policies of practicality and sensibility were Gwanghaegun’s method of dealing with the conflicts he encountered.”

I am betting that there are multi searches on the internet for this king as the drama is going on and debates aplenty about him going in Korea? This article was interesting for me as it mirrors many events that are still happening in the world of politics today. It also leads me to imagine and ask what could have happened if Gwanghae was supported strongly and not deposed. Would the course of Korean history be the same or different. That is conjecturing since the past is gone and done but will it affect the thinking of the present day policy makers? and as @SMP567 said, maybe it could lead to unity?

Any way back to the drama......

We all know that the princess but for now Hwa Yi, lived a long life and the writers are pretty much staying close to history so I am not worried of her getting killed by the king her brother. I am worried though of her emotional and psychological resiliency. She is caught between her loyalties and love for her friend and soon to be boyfriend Joo Won, her duties as a princess to Joseon and the people of Joseon or her duties to her family and her mother to avenge her brother’s death? Which faction will she support? Will it be the more moderate party of Joo Won and the king or the very conservative faction of her mother? Joo Won will probably understand if she does not back him up and so would the king after all the king was instrumental in exiling his brother which lead to his death and taking away her mother’s titles.  Queen Immok and her party however will not understand if she ever ends up supporting the policies backed by her friend Joo Won just because she knows in heart that it is for the good of Joseon. So the princess will be introduced to politics Joseon style. How she will affect the turn of events as Joo Won did will be interesting to see. How about our playboy In Woo? Will the king Joo Won and Hwa Yi be able to inspire him to do something useful for Joseon?  Kang Joo Seon the Mayor, lost Do Ha his most faithful right hand. Even if he treats him badly at times, he still trusted and maybe even regarded Do Ha as another son. Losing Do Ha must have hurt him especially when his relationship with his own son is strained. Now he has another reason to dislike the king. The preview looks good. I think that the king is wise to the gender of Hwa Yi but lets it slide. Maybe, maybe. If In Woo can tell a manly king who has many concubines could not?

I also look forward to seeing King Gwanghae's accomplishments for Joseon, how he was dethroned, and the result of that. The new generation Koreans have been making movements to acknowledge and study the many great works left by this king despite the fact that the posthumous restoration of his name does not happen and he is not buried in Joseon royal tomb nor is given a temple name like other kings.

If the Koreans both north and south can learn something from this, perhaps the road towards the United Korea may become reality one day....

@ SMP567

Thank you for your welcome. It seems that as the drama progresses and becomes more intense so is the discussion. Like you, I hope the writers and drama makers will pay attention to our request and will show a lot more of his accomplishments amidst the struggles. I like what you said about paving the way towards a United Korea. Are you in Korea now? I am interested to know if there are debates pro and con about this king  and how the drama is being received. Because I am loving it.

"Can anyone summarize the preview of episode 15? I'm dying from curiosity! I thank you in advance"

Preview to Episode 15

Gwanghaegun points the blade (sword) at Hwa Yi (火伊)

The name Hwa Yi (火伊) is written in the "hopae" (호패, 號牌) tag that Hong Joo Won give to as her identification when she return to Korea from Japan

Hopae (호패, 號牌) is an identification tag carried by all Korean men aged 16 & older during in Joseon Dynasty. The tags records information as the bearer's name, year of birth, status,date of issuance & the name of the issuance organisation

Hopae tag for most commoners are made of wood 

Hopae system initiated in 1413 during the reign of Taejong as a form of control migration but was abandoned 3 years later but the system still carry on as a loose lax system of identification. It was not until the reign of Sukjong (1661-1720), the system was properly established where the hopae system became a census registration system

Gwanghaegun: It is better that you speak the truth...who are you who dare come close to the King

Kang Joo Sun with the Heo Gyun ("baddie"?)

Just for information Heo Gyun (허균 1569-1618) is a historical person, he authored the famous book "Tales of Hong Gildong" & also wrote many other works

Kang Joo Sun: You go secretly seek out what is the King (Chu sang 주상) weakness (Achilles heel)

Chu Sang (주상,主上, The King) is a alternative form a respect address "The King" as a 2nd person

Queen Inmok holding Princess Jeongmyeong (aka Hwa Yi) Guanyin (Gwan Eum - 관음) bracelet

Queen Inmok: Who has choose to leave this object at the gate, this bracelet is Jeongmyeong's

Hwa Yi ponders

The sketch drawing of the Gwan Eum bracelet as Kim Gae Shi looks at the drawing

Kim Gae Shi: The Queen Dowager seems to seek the findings of this strange object

Queen Inmok speaking to Minister

Kim gae Shi standing at the corridor

Ming envoy arrives

Gwanghaegun: Therefore this "quarrel" (argument), I will definitely need to win this over no matter what the price I need to pay

Gwanghaegun having secret night rendervous. Hong Joo Woo feeling restless

Hwa Yi is being surrounded by unidentified men

Hwa Yi: Who...who actually are you people

Hong Joo Won goes searching for Hwa Yi

Hong Joo Won: Hwa Yi! Hwa Yi!

Gwanghaegun queries

Gwanghwagun: What is the mean by saying that ....where did the things actually gone to

Hwa Yi packing up a bundle

Gwanghaegun walks up the stairs

Hwa Yi: Chu Sang (주상,The King)...that person as long as he so long to wish for that, it will be the same for me....I will prevent this by staking my life

Kang Joo Sun smiling devilishly

Hwa Yi turns to look determine

15회

Text Preview to Episode 15

이 싸움 반드시 승리할 걸세

This quarrel (싸움) I definitely need to win over (victorious)

주선(조성하)과 허균(안내상)은 광해(차승원)의 약점을 찾으려하고, 인목대비(신은정) 는 정명(이연희)의 생사여부에 다시 의문을 갖기 시작한다. 

한편, 광해(차승원)는 어떠 한 대가를 치루고도 싸움에서 승리하기 위해 움직이기 시작하는데...

Kang Joo Sun & Heo Gyun learns that Gwanghaegun ultimate weakness is in the matter of the uncertainty of Princess Jeongmyeong life (dead or alive), moreover there is arouse suspicion of Princess Jeongmyeong had survival the uncertainty.

Meanwhile Gwnghaegun had started (the ball rolling) in his determintion to win over (victorious), no matter whatever the cost might rendered

I also look forward to seeing King Gwanghae's accomplishments for Joseon, how he was dethroned, and the result of that. The new generation Koreans have been making movements to acknowledge and study the many great works left by this king despite the fact that the posthumous restoration of his name does not happen and he is not buried in Joseon royal tomb nor is given a temple name like other kings.

If the Koreans both north and south can learn something from this, perhaps the road towards the United Korea may become reality one day....

@ SMP567

Thank you for your welcome. It seems that as the drama progresses and becomes more intense so is the discussion. Like you, I hope the writers and drama makers will pay attention to our request and will show a lot more of his accomplishments amidst the struggles. I like what you said about paving the way towards a United Korea. Are you in Korea now? I am interested to know if there are debates pro and con about this king  and how the drama is being received. Because I am loving it.

​@zenya22,  Hi, I have always though if these big wigs of Korea both N&S, take a good long look at the history of they country they wouldn't and shouldn't do this the country will be great as a whole then being divided as it is now..  Just the past history of the kings struggle should amount to something they could be like other countries still have Royal families but leave the running of the country to the President and his retainers..  

I love Cha Seung Won and I don't like to see him as a bad guy, but as long as he is on a drama I don't care that much, it is the only dramas I wish the bad guys win..

​@lupita.... Well, Well "our" (hehe) Cha Seung Won is killing his role in this drama with his charming handsome and super acting self. With every episode the transformation he embodies on the king is so realistic, Cheona. Impressive every episode.

​@zenya22,  Hi, I have always though if these big wigs of Korea both N&S, take a good long look at the history of they country they wouldn't and shouldn't do this the country will be great as a whole then being divided as it is now..  Just the past history of the kings struggle should amount to something they could be like other countries still have Royal families but leave the running of the country to the President and his retainers..  

​@ valsalva, well, presently they don't have kings running both North nor South. The south is a republic and the north is a communist country. As in the factions of the Joseon Dynasty for example in this drama where the conservatives cling to Ming and China and Gwanghae wants to stay neutral the present day North and South are as different as red and blue in their beliefs, ideals, philosophies and political inclinations. I don't know how possible it will be but someday if like you said they can learn from the past there is always hope

15회

Text Preview to Episode 15

이 싸움 반드시 승리할 걸세

This quarrel (싸움) I definitely need to win over (victorious)

주선(조성하)과 허균(안내상)은 광해(차승원)의 약점을 찾으려하고, 인목대비(신은정) 는 정명(이연희)의 생사여부에 다시 의문을 갖기 시작한다. 

한편, 광해(차승원)는 어떠 한 대가를 치루고도 싸움에서 승리하기 위해 움직이기 시작하는데...

Kang Joo Sun & Heo Gyun learns that Gwanghaegun ultimate weakness is in the matter of the uncertainty of Princess Jeongmyeong life (dead or alive), moreover there is arouse suspicion of Princess Jeongmyeong had survival the uncertainty.

Meanwhile Gwnghaegun had started (the ball rolling) in his determintion to win over (victorious), no matter whatever the cost might rendered

Hi gerrytan8063,

Thank you so much for all your posts about the history of Joseon and the customs and etiquettes. It seems from your translation of the preview that we will have another exciting episode. 

I have a question though regarding the father of Gwanghaegun the late King Seonjo. The little that I read about him was that he was not a direct descendant of the king before him because King Myeon Jeong was childless so the court appointed a crown prince and chose Seonjo. So who were Seonjo’s parents. I am just curious because in this drama he started the controversy regarding Gwanghaegun’s legitimacy as a crown prince because of the circumstances of his birth. He actually gave wings to the spread of the prophecy regarding “pure blood” to be the owner of the world. I find it ironic that he questions his son’s legitimacy to the crown because Gwanghae is the son of a concubine, but whose son is Seonjo? Who are his parents or grandparents? If they were not descendants of a queen then one of his ancestors must have been a concubine, would not that be so?

@zenya22,  According to wikipida

King Seonjo (26 November 1552 – 16 March 1608) ruled in Korea between 1567 and 1608. He was the fourteenth king of the Joseon Dynasty. He is known for encouraging Confucianism and renovating state affairs at the beginning of his reign, although political chaos and his incompetent leadership during the Japanese invasions of Korea marred his later years.[1]

King Seonjo focused on the improvement of the lives of the common people, as well as rebuilding the nation after the political corruption during the chaotic reign of Yeonsangunand King Jungjong. He encouraged Sarim scholars, who had been persecuted by entrenched aristocrats in four different purges between 1498 and 1545 during reign of Yeosangun and Jungjong. Seonjo continued the political reforms of King Myeongjong, and put many famous Confucian scholars, including Yi HwangYi IJeong Cheol, and Yu Seong-ryong, in office.[1]

Seonjo also reformed the civil service examination system, particularly the civil official qualification exam. The previous exam was mainly concerned with literature, not with politics or history. The king himself ordered the system to be reformed by increasing the importance of these other subjects. He also restored the reputations of executed scholars such as Jo Gwang-jo, who died in Third Literati Purge of 1519, and denounced the accomplishments of corrupt aristocrats, notably Nam Gon, who instigated the purge under Jungjong and contributed greatly to the corruption of the era. These acts earned the king the respect of the general populace, and the country enjoyed a brief era of peace.[1][4]

• Father: Deokheung Daewongun (2 April 1530 - 14 June 1559) (덕흥대원군)[2]
  • Mother: Princess Consort Hadong of the Hadong Jeong clan (23 September 1522 - 24 June 1567) (하동부대부인 정씨)

I always thought Prince Imhae and Prince Gwanghae have the same mother according to these facts they do Seonjo just wanted to hand the throne over to the Grand Prince just because he was married to the Queen .. What's this about so is he using this for his legitimate reason.. Here is my speculation if one would think this is a life line move it didn't help because he was still poison to death but if he got his way he would have ruled long enough until that child was of age he would have snatch the crown off his head and just named him also prince it wouldn't have been Grand Prince or he would name them all Grand Prince.. He would have sought out another one of his son sons and did the same thing..        

1. Royal Noble Consort Gong of the Gimhae Kim clan (17 November 1553 - 13 June 1577) (공빈 김씨)
    1. Prince Imhae (20 September 1572 - 3 June 1609) (임해군)
    2. Prince Gwanghae (광해군)

“Gwanghaegun wished to preserve the relatively weak nation of Joseon that was stuck in a dangerous power struggle. He realized that blindly siding with either side was risky. He tried to remain as neutral as possible and gain what he could for Joseon in the process. Although the Ming dynasty and Later Jinn have both long disappeared in history, I believe that this idea can indeed be implemented to modern day nations, including Korea.

Gwanghaegun refused to be restricted by the ties of tradition or appeasement when initiating diplomacy that would be practical and favorable for his own He wanted to ensure that his country could keep its sovereignty and dignity in a chaotic situation through policies that focused not on the so-called obligations of tradition, but on practicality. Such policies of practicality and sensibility were Gwanghaegun’s method of dealing with the conflicts he encountered.”

I am betting that there are multi searches on the internet for this king as the drama is going on and debates aplenty about him going in Korea? This article was interesting for me as it mirrors many events that are still happening in the world of politics today. It also leads me to imagine and ask what could have happened if Gwanghae was supported strongly and not deposed. Would the course of Korean history be the same or different. That is conjecturing since the past is gone and done but will it affect the thinking of the present day policy makers? and as @SMP567 said, maybe it could lead to unity?

GW2.jpg

Hi @zenya22   I truly like this part about Gwanghae's diplomatic policies of a weak country trapped in the middle of the powerful enemies.

"Such policies of practicality and sensibility were Gwanghaegun’s method of dealing with the conflicts he encountered."  

Considering the political climate at that time alone, it should be super tough to survive. So yes, PRACTICALITY and SENSIBILITY are the keywords. And not anyone could understand and make it work the way this king did. 

Although it is ashamed Gwanghae's courts did not appreciate this precious gem a king they had and deposed him, hopefully we, the modern generation, can witness the art of his diplomacy in this drama and learn something from it to implement in today's endless conflict.

@ SMP567

​@zenya22

I am a fan of the writer, Kim Yi-Young, whose past work I admire such as Dong Yi, Yi San, and Horse Doctor. So I feel that she will again create another masterpiece. Moreover, we are blessed with many members here who are sharing each opinion, idea, experience, resource, study... in such constructive and joyful ways.   :)  

I was in Seoul last year. While there I noticed that drama was such an important part of Korean people, old or young. Sageuk in particular has received supports from South Korean government in terms of funding, marketing, and research.  Interestingly, the Joseon era is quite popular with the public. Among all the kings of this dynasty, Gwanghae's biography and reign have been chosen to film quite often.  I've heard that the modern citizens have high thoughts about this king despite his dethronement being written down in the history.

"Hwajung or Splendid Politics" has been doing pretty well in terms of rating so I assume that the Korean viewers have interest. As @gerrytan8063 mentioned that historical drama sageuk will take "liberties"  to defer from actual historical reference for dramatic licence purposes and drama are written on the bases to provide entertainment & not history, I'm still hoping ( just like you ) that we will get to see the interesting political part while enjoying the entertainment side of it.

MBC '화정'

I always thought Prince Imhae and Prince Gwanghae have the same mother according to these facts they do Seonjo just wanted to hand the throne over to the Grand Prince just because he was married to the Queen .. What's this about so is he using this for his legitimate reason.. Here is my speculation if one would think this is a life line move it didn't help because he was still poison to death but if he got his way he would have ruled long enough until that child was of age he would have snatch the crown off his head and just named him also prince it wouldn't have been Grand Prince or he would name them all Grand Prince.. He would have sought out another one of his son sons and did the same thing..        

1. Royal Noble Consort Gong of the Gimhae Kim clan (17 November 1553 - 13 June 1577) (공빈 김씨)
    1. Prince Imhae (20 September 1572 - 3 June 1609) (임해군)
    2. Prince Gwanghae (광해군)

​Agree, it was a moot point exactly, but then Gwanghae's enemies took advantage of that and made it a reason for trying to snatch the throne from Gwanghae which lead to Gwanghae exiling the young prince. Thank you for the research on Seonjo.

Archived