[Drama 2015] Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나

ChelseaS

@chajoowon‌ your are watching Dong Yi. Oh Yeon Seo is acting in that drama as the Queen(the new young queen that becames friends with Dong yi)

Anyway i am thinking since shin yool is smart will help him plus she has many contacts with her trades with different countries. I just cant wait for next ep

A complete character Mapphoto20_zpsadd8e29a.png
cr to MBC

I'm curious about one thing though. I read the character description for Shinyool and only understand a bit , but it said something about her being born and put into frozen water thus a poison is embedded in her body. Is that why she fainted on her wedding night and the palace maid was always scared of her getting sick. Does that mean she will eventually die? :| This is so interesting

I will try to translate some character descriptions but due to limitation in my understanding, i apologize for any mistranslated word.
shine133_zps362a53be.jpg

Shin Yool cast Oh Yeon Seo"This child will become a woman who brings light and  hope of a country.All the world will be coveted by her talents and skills.Every darkness will turn into light where ever she goes and turn into a  bright morning ."
She was born as the last princess of Balhae Kingdom.Because of the Goddess prophecy of being destined to bring light to another country, she was  commanded to be killed when she was just a newborn.Thus her biological mother said that it's better for her to die in her own hands,  she was put into cold icy lake,   However,the palace maid saved and raised her.
Calm and excellent skills in astronomy, geography,art of war including everything that requires head made her the midfield resource and a leader.But due to being drown in cold water when born, poison was embedded in her body.
Just like Wangso's prophecy, the woman who was destined to bring light into Wang So's life is Shinyool.She is wise and believes in fateful love.
shine134_zps60223ad2.jpg

Hwang Bo Yeo Won cast Lee Honey
King Taejo 4th wife daugher,  Wang Wook's sister
"I have to choose what is more important.  Man  doesn't understand  that to some woman a man's love is not everything"
The second woman who was born under the north star.Considered as the most beautiful woman in Goryeo, She is an overly smart cold woman, won't be swayed by any sides.If  wasn't born as a woman, she has this hidden desire of wanting to be a king.Above all this, family is always her priority.
The cursed prince WangSo became her husband.
For the sake of her family she got married but being queen is not her main ambition,but making her family to be the number one family in Goryeo is.For that, his brother has to become the king....Not a husband who won't even give his heart nor body to her.
shine135_zps5c39f328.jpg

WangWook cast Im Joo Hwan
King Taejo 5th son, the son of 4th wife.
"All my desires, the reason is you Shin Yool..My change of heart of wanting to be king more and more is also because of you Shin YoolAs long as i can have you, i'm willing to cut this blood brother relationship"
Among the 25 princes, he has the best appearance.Combined with brilliant head  and martial arts.Having the same father and different mother with Wang So, they only have 4 months of age difference.With a powerful family  and outstanding talents, he received the best education of becoming a king.Even though he always smiles gently and  even carry a living  Buddha name,he has a deep wound inside,  a man who is willing to sacrifice everything for love.
It was not from the beginning that he wants to become a king.but to protect his love, to make sure that she is not taken away, he has to be the king.

I am not sure how I feel about this drama yet. So far I enjoyed episode one more than episode two. Oh Yeon Seo is actually the stand out so far, she even looks younger, and I like her spunk. I hope Jang Hyuk tones it down a bit, I see too much of his last character in him, I know this is a fusion-sageuk, but still. I am not feeling the second female role yet.

I see some questions about the time period, so this is the early period of the Goryeo Dynasty - the dynasty that fully united the Korean peninsula, for centuries until the split into North and South Korea. So prior to this was Goguryeo (King Jumong), then Baekje (Jumong's wife and son who left to establish their own kingdom), then Silla (Queen Seonduk). So Silla attempted the first unification, but it wasn't complete as Balhae broke out and established themselves as the continuation of Goguryeo. Silla and Balhae were conquered by Emperor Wang Gun (the old king in this drama).

Emperor Wang Gun (notice the emperor vs king moniker - that changed when the Mongols formed an "alliance" with Goryeo) in order to establish his new dynasty went on a bit of a marriage spree, he had like 29 wives, from different clans, who all had sons who gave themselves the title of crown prince. In this drama crown prince, does not necessarily mean heir to the throne. So our lead here is going to have some trouble before reaching the throne.

Wang Gun incorporated a lot of his enemies into his new kingdom, so that explains what the old king was talking about; eliminating some of the early founders in other for the empire to find its footing.

Another thing I liked was the drama showcasing the role of women during this time period, versus their role in the later periods i.e. Joseon, when neo-confucianism relegated women to a lesser status. During this period women had the same rights of inheritance has men, worked outside of the home, chose their husbands, and some even claim could have more than one husband 0_o.

They cant be WS children since WS as a king died old for that age and when he died one of his sons became the next king as they were over 20 years age then.  It looks like the kids are some generation 50-100 years later hearing about the legend about the cursed Prince,Princess.

Speaking about the future Queen i wonder if she will give her heart to WS as he is currently in the story.  Will she decide he is more important to her than the other brother, making her side of the family the strongest power.   It cant be loveless marriage if she was his Queen,wife for many years.

But the old guy who was telling the story was the same as the guy who told the king about the curse, star, etc .

Regarding the queen. She may develops feeling for WS later on, but i don't think he will feel the same.

Aren't there lots of loveless marriage btw the king and queen in saeguk?

I hope this drama will just go all the way with its fictional fantasy.No need to care so much. I desp need a happy ending

Sadly, I think it will happen.on the map, the arrow pointing fromYeowon to Shinyool is antagonistic. I read the long synopsis given by MBC on it's official website, Wang So will be a king who takes care of the poor, slaves and make a big change in the country. His main ourpose is to protect the only person he loves, Shinyool.

Guest chajoowon

haymochi said: Sadly, I think it will happen.on the map, the arrow pointing fromYeowon to Shinyool is antagonistic. I read the long synopsis given by MBC on it's official website, Wang So will be a king who takes care of the poor, slaves and make a big change in the country. His main ourpose is to protect the only person he loves, Shinyool.

DJG said: I am not sure how I feel about this drama yet. So far I enjoyed episode one more than episode two. Oh Yeon Seo is actually the stand out so far, she even looks younger, and I like her spunk. I hope Jang Hyuk tones it down a bit, I see too much of his last character in him, I know this is a fusion-sageuk, but still. I am not feeling the second female role yet.

I see some questions about the time period, so this is the early period of the Goryeo Dynasty - the dynasty that fully united the Korean peninsula, for centuries until the split into North and South Korea. So prior to this was Goguryeo (King Jumong), then Baekje (Jumong's wife and son who left to establish their own kingdom), then Silla (Queen Seonduk). So Silla attempted the first unification, but it wasn't complete as Balhae broke out and established themselves as the continuation of Goguryeo. Silla and Balhae were conquered by Emperor Wang Gun (the old king in this drama).

Emperor Wang Gun (notice the emperor vs king moniker - that changed when the Mongols formed an "alliance" with Goryeo) in order to establish his new dynasty went on a bit of a marriage spree, he had like 29 wives, from different clans, who all had sons who gave themselves the title of crown prince. In this drama crown prince, does not necessarily mean heir to the throne. So our lead here is going to have some trouble before reaching the throne.

Wang Gun incorporated a lot of his enemies into his new kingdom, so that explains what the old king was talking about; eliminating some of the early founders in other for the empire to find its footing.

Another thing I liked was the drama showcasing the role of women during this time period, versus their role in the later periods i.e. Joseon, when neo-confucianism relegated women to a lesser status. During this period women had the same rights of inheritance has men, worked outside of the home, chose their husbands, and some even claim could have more than one husband 0_o.

I don't think this is going for historical accuracy since Shin Yool didn't exist in real history as far as I know, although most of Balhae's history was never written down so scholars have argued for years about the ethnic identities of its founders since Koreans

Well she is technically not a princess anymore, since Balhae no longer exists.

And in Goryo, u could have more than one legit wives. Kings could have several queens, as opposed to Chosun when kings could have only one queen and the others were concubines.

@cutestrobery

Lmao Idk I was just guessing. Why would a princess need to become a concubine? Wouldn't that be weird?

Wang So was never suppose to be king, he lost that right when he was exiled. I think his half-brother became king since he's lived in the palace his entire life and wasn't "cursed". Their father chose So to marry Yeo Won in order to be protected and find out who poisoned him. 

@haymochi
I'm actually laughing at that. He has no idea who she is or what she looks like :))

Shin Yool's story is what intrigues me the most. She was abandoned due to the prophecy that was foretold, but what about her parents? Was the thrown taken away from them? She is the last princess of Balhae which means her nation is at that point where it's taken over by others, I think it was China, but can't be too sure. 

Wang So didnt rly lose the right to throne when he was exiled. At least the drama never told us so, and him being the son of the emperor itself kinda gives him the right to be the candidate.

after father's death, the first...or second not sure...son Wang Mu became the emperor. But his reign was short, soon Wang Yo (shares mother with Wang So) took the throne and Wang Shik Ryum (the evil guy) made that happen, at least in this drama.

Its all a cliffhanger tease for next week and camera trick.  Because we clearly saw first they passed each other and cant recognize each other if they didnt look back.   Plus Wang So doesnt know what she looks like.¨

Shinyool might look back and see its him but Wang So is prolly looking at someone else he knows.

Wang so is prob looking at some dumplings lol

Its all a cliffhanger tease for next week and camera trick.  Because we clearly saw first they passed each other and cant recognize each other if they didnt look back.   Plus Wang So doesnt know what she looks like.¨

Shinyool might look back and see its him but Wang So is prolly looking at someone else he knows.

Wang so is prob looking at some dumplings lol

@DJG,  Thanks for this history lesson,  I had always been kind of confused of what kingdom came first between Goguryeo, & Goryeo but glad your post cleared this up for me.. But I had always thought that Yuri took over Goguryeo and it was Sesano and her two boys that establish shila that later became Beakje in the south while jumong was in the north .. Then we have Balhae which was Da Jo Young being king correct me if I'm wrong my question is if you ever watch the drama heavens soldiers which time frame does this drama fits in (the drama about the monk becoming the high ranking court official that lead the country until the king killed him to eliminate his status and power)

So my other question is would our last princess and brother be the last of the Da jo young clan      

Shilla didnt become baekjae later. Jumong's sons did go south and established Baekjae, and Shilla is a totally different country.

so it was goguryeo, baekjae, shilla three kingdoms for a while (plus kaya, but fot some reason people tend to call this period three kingdoms and ignore kaya lol). And shilla unites korean peninsula. But balhae later gets established by Dae Jo Young, and he claims to be descendant of Goguryeo. Balhae's people were mixture of Koreans and Chinese with Chinese prob being the majority, but the ruling class was descendant of Goguryeo(so koreans), hence the complex identity. And Shilla starts breaking down, as Hugoguryeo (descendant of goguryeo) and Hu baekjae (descendant of baekjae) gets established. Hugoguryeo takes over everyone else, unites Korea, and changes its name to Goryeo. First emperor is Wang Gun and his forth son is our Wang So. Phew, history cram!

gumi said:

itzibitzispider

said: Just finished the second one ... pity I could not do one after the other .... and more pitiful that I have to wait for the next episode

Me has a question, a silly detail one, but still

Last scene: They can't possible spot each other, can they?twice the camera angle shows them walking just past each other ... then it shows their eye recognizing ... BUT ...

the angle would be off for those two to see AND how can he possibly recognize her due to the fact that she was veiled all the time in his presents?