[Drama 2014/2015] Healer 힐러

kanzcech

Hi there @chickpea. I really love your in-depth analysis on Healer, and I thought this summed everything up beautifully: "I'm finding Healer to be an incredibly smart and well-thought-out story even apart from the eye candy."
Yes I agree that the eye candy is really the bonus. The main star of the show is still the well written story. I think the casting too has played a major role though. And knowing SJN, she must have had a major role in choosing the actors to cast. After all the trio of Kim Mi Kyung (Hacker Ahjumma), Park Sang Won (KMS) and Oh Kwang Rok (Teacher) appears again, as they have in every drama she wrote since Sandglass. 
 JCW, more than being mere eye candy is a very very good actor. I'm so impressed with his ability to express so much emotion just by his eyes and subtle expressions of his face. Like when CYS told him that she was waiting for Healer, and he asks her "You're waiting?" Well, really... just too many examples. Anyway... so many have said so much about him, and I will refrain from saying more. I just want to say that the fact he is so good looking is a wonderful bonus, but he really is an impressive actor (this can also be said about LMH in Faith... which is why I also understood why SJN chose him to play the character of the legendary Choi Young even though so many wondered about that initially.)
Now YJT. This drama achieved a major coup for luring him back to dramaland after 5 years. I initially wondered, when I first read of it, what is so special about this drama that he would want to do it. Well, I think 10 episodes in, the drama has answered my question. In the hands of a lesser actor, KMH may have come off... I don't know... not as convincing, but with YJT, you really get it. You get why he's a star reporter - he comes across with that impressive presence and voice as he says his piece on broadcast. You get why CYS had a major 'crush' on him. You get why he's conflicted. You get that he loves his brother yet hates him. You get that he loves his noona but doesn't know how to help her. I generally am not too attracted by stories about reporters (I don't know why), but Yoo Ji Tae made me fascinated by his take on it. He has this ability of just reeling me into whatever role he takes on, I find. I was this way with A Star's Lover too - where he played a boring (on paper) professor of literature who falls for movie star Choi Ji Woo. The story itself was nothing great - it bordered on boring, and even frustrating especially the middle parts... but I watched it to the end because YJT just has this amazing ability to hold my attention.
As for PMY, as my friends here know - I've never been a big fan of PMY. I usually try to avoid her... but then she's acted in dramas I've loved like City Hunter and Sungkyunkwan Scandal, so I have mostly gritted my teeth and 'tolerated' her. I thought I would be this way in Healer too... so I can say in all honesty that I didn't expect it. I didn't expect to be charmed down to my socks by CYS. Granted, the writing of the character is just excellent. But her portrayal is spot on - PMY is just simply delightful to watch as CYS and I'm sincerely delighted that I can finally say that about her. :)

@azzurriGreat to see you on board. Let's not ship too hard this time (if we can help it) :P 
I have to admit that I watched City Hunter because of LMH and also kind of tolerated her there. When I heard she was cast for this drama, I thought 'Nah, skip this' because it all my misbegotten drama watching years, I have not watched any of Ji Chang Wook's previous work as well. (EEK!!) I was horribly mistaken as PMY has exceeded my expectations and is doing a really good portrayal of CYS. I will reserve judgment and keep an eye out for when she finds out the truth about Bong Soo and her family secret. That would be the clincher for me to see if PMY has truly flowered into an actress who can be multifaceted and not merely eye candy. It is time for CYS to show true grit and determination and pick herself from the ground when everything comes to head. 
Kim Mi Kyung (Ajumma) is a very versatile actress. To see her as Master Sun's SJS's aunt (classy, snooty) to a housemaid in Heirs and then as a hacker who eats kimbap and knits and her fingers flying across the keyboard ( :-O ) As for Oh Kwang Rok (teacher) I have to admit I watched him first in High School King as the dad and loved how he took in the brothers (Seo In Guk) and raised them well.  Another turnaround to see him as the Healer's teacher who is slightly perverted. :))

@shinomorisagara,  The Elder didn't say he wouldn't take care of her he said not now because she famous he said to deal with her later.. 

The teacher dead end stops after the two friends death.. But if he gets to meet MY it will open a bunch of new roads for him so I think he will enter KMS house and speak with MY.. 

Hey here's a thought don't you think healers teacher can pass for Elder Son..    

@chickpeaThank you for that one very coherent, insightful, and crystal clear summary of Healer's past. It helps my fried brain to process her puzzles much more effectively and quickly. It's an eye-opener to how much information SJN has weaved into the drama whenever we have a flash-back. 
Also, the 'Min Joo' you have mentioned first had me wondering if there was another secretly, hidden vigilante the Healers were working for/with that SJN hasn't revealed. But then I realised 'Min Joo' is not a person, and they actually meant '民主' (Min-Zhu in Chinese pronounciation), which means 'democracy'.  
It makes sense that the past Healers were calling out to 'Min Joo', because a democratic government was what the past Healers were fighting for, and makes sense that they said they are Min Joo, since they were the representative of democracy. I checked Viki subtitles, and I'm curious why Viki didn't translate that to English. 
@azzurriGlad you changed your mind about PMY. I didn't think she was that unbearable as compared to other 20-something actresses. Maybe I always have a higher tolerance to bad acting, seeing I've basically grown up watching bad acting in TW drama (and still enduring bad acting I must say). I don't follow up with PMY, but I think she has already shown vast improvement in A New Leaf; it's just a pity that her role was reduced to 'cameo' in the latter episodes. I like to think that when she took time off, she has made sure to work on her acting skills, and thus, we get this absolutely adorable Young Shin now! :x

@azzurri said: .................................As for PMY, as my friends here know - I've never been a big fan of PMY. I usually try to avoid her... but then she's acted in dramas I've loved like City Hunter and Sungkyunkwan Scandal, so I have mostly gritted my teeth and 'tolerated' her. I thought I would be this way in Healer too... so I can say in all honesty that I didn't expect it. I didn't expect to be charmed down to my socks by CYS. Granted, the writing of the character is just excellent. But her portrayal is spot on - PMY is just simply delightful to watch as CYS and I'm sincerely delighted that I can finally say that about her. :)

11회 :: 힐러 :: 1월 12일2015-01-12(월)22:00 KBS 2TV‘어둠 속에서’ 문호가 박봉수를 의심하는 줄도 모르고 정후는 힐러의 모습으로 문호를 찾아간다. 문호는 정후를 이용할 생각을 하고, 정후는 아버지의 누명을 벗기기 위해 그 제의를 받아들인다. 그러는 와중에 정후는 영신이 보낸 메일을 받게 된다. 영신은 힐러가 살인용의자라는 사실을 알게 되지만 그래도 힐러에 대한 믿음으로 만남의 자리에 나가는데...
it is OUT!!!!! someome please translate!!!!!

@NRGchick... chingu! It seems that the two of us have too much time on our hands this Friday (morning). LOL As for shipping, as far as this OTP goes, for me it's still limited to the characters of this drama - so I think I'm still on safe ground. ;) I still haven't fully recovered from my last (and only) shipping expedition, so I don't think I will be embarking on another any time soon. Heheh.
By the way thanks for posting that interview with JCW from Dramafever. I have been looking at clips of him, and becoming more and more impressed. I love his singing by the way. I knew JCW from before, because I watched Warrior Baek Dong Soo (but didn't finish). I watched because of YSH, but became impressed with JCW. And I watched some of Empress Ki (not the entire thing - too long for me) because I love Ha Ji Won, and ended up watching most of her scenes with JCW, and Jin Yi Han. So yeah, I knew of him from before, but Healer is the first drama where I'm really watching him and watching till the end. So now I've gone beyond just merely liking him.. hope he will sing a song for Healer's OST as well. Love the song he did for EK!

@azzurri - Great character analysis.  My interest is first and foremost the story.  I'm not so familiar with the actors.  But I agree with your assessment here.  That Ahjumma is a trip, a very versatile actress.  You usually see these "colorful" characters played by men but in this drama, perhaps because its written by a woman, the colorful character is a woman...  And you can see a difference between the Moon Ho character and the Jung Hoo character... one eudes maturity, confidence, intelligence and a calm courage, the other youthfulness, not so sure of himself, intelligent and athletic and full of bravado.  If anything, what stands out to me is how athletic the Jung Hoo actor is.  It looks like he does his own stunts so he must be part gymnast, part long-distance runner and part martial arts epert.  All I want to add is that its really a shame that Hollywood actors make way too much money for looking good while reading lines that others write for them while these actors earn far less the hard way.  My opinion.

@sia3 - Wonderful!  That's it.  I, myself, wondered whether Min Joo could mean something other than a person's name but because I've heard it as a name I thought maybe it was some personification of something but what you're saying makes sense, so they were calling out for "democratization of the press" so it could do what the free press is supposed to do, shed light and raise awareness of government's and society's failings.  Thank you.

@valsava said: @shinomorisagara,  The Elder didn't say he wouldn't take care of her he said not now because she famous he said to deal with her later.. 

The teacher dead end stops after the two friends death.. But if he gets to meet MY it will open a bunch of new roads for him so I think he will enter KMS house and speak with MY.. 

Hey here's a thought don't you think healers teacher can pass for Elder Son..    

Guest blossomnagr

Talking not writing about Healer. Watch the video about the impression of 'healer' drama from Hallyu Back channel. You can go to the youtube to read comments and live your own insights. Enjoy and thank you @CecileV for sharing it. :x 

eylrx said:

11th: Hiller: January 122015-01-12 (Mon) 22:00 KBS 2TVWithout knowing a line of doors 'in the dark' suspected Park Bong-Su jeonghu go find a door with a look of healers. Doors are thought to use the jeonghu and jeonghu accept the offer for stripping the accused is the father. Meanwhile, in the midst jeonghu will receive a spiritual message I sent. Naganeunde in place of the meeting is spiritual faith healer to healer yet, but learns that the murder suspect ...

eylrx

said: 11회 :: 힐러 :: 1월 12일2015-01-12(월)22:00 KBS 2TV

‘어둠 속에서’ 문호가 박봉수를 의심하는 줄도 모르고 정후는 힐러의 모습으로 문호를 찾아간다. 문호는 정후를 이용할 생각을 하고, 정후는 아버지의 누명을 벗기기 위해 그 제의를 받아들인다. 그러는 와중에 정후는 영신이 보낸 메일을 받게 된다. 영신은 힐러가 살인용의자라는 사실을 알게 되지만 그래도 힐러에 대한 믿음으로 만남의 자리에 나가는데...

sia3 said:@azzurriGlad you changed your mind about PMY. I didn't think she was that unbearable as compared to other 20-something actresses. Maybe I always have a higher tolerance to bad acting, seeing I've basically grown up watching bad acting in TW drama (and still enduring bad acting I must say). I don't follow up with PMY, but I think she has already shown vast improvement in A New Leaf; it's just a pity that her role was reduced to 'cameo' in the latter episodes. I like to think that when she took time off, she has made sure to work on her acting skills, and thus, we get this absolutely adorable Young Shin now! :x

Guest blossomnagr

Han Net News ~ #Park Min Young wears rings worth more than 10 million won (approximately 9 200 USD) for 'Healer' ep9-10
Jewelry brand: BECKET, her rings worn on right hand each 2,860,000, 3,000,000, 3,800,000 won, on left hand  2.8 million won total worth of 12.46 million won (approximately 11 500 USD).

via kamlp weibo 
Thanks @PiyuMiUmesha for sharing the info

88d633e2jw1eo007agmk7j20fk0dctaf.jpg

Don't know why the spoiler tag isn't working