Do you think it's weird to dine out alone?

Guest motherducker

eating alone is part of being more grown up and independent, you cant have your friends with you for life and expect people to hold your hand and guide you like a little kid forever

a mature confident person wouldnt let a little thing like dining alone bother them

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sweeth0lic

I have no problem eating out in the afternoon (i.e grabbing lunch outside of work), but I very rarely dine by myself at night. I would rather eat and prepare something at home than drag myself out of the house to eat by myself. Haha. 

Going to fast food places and eating by yourself is OK for me personally. But once i went to eat sushi for dinner with my friends, who were 30 minutes late, so i had no choice but to be at the table by myself and boy was it BORING! all i did was look at my phone and eat some sushi.. I felt like everyone was looking at me. I could never do that again. I give props to those you can go eat (not fast-food) by themselves though. 

Last week I had an interview in the middle of nowhere. After finishing up that interview, it was just after lunch time and there was literally nothing around me to eat except a sushi bar next door, so I was like "Hey, why not? Whats the worst that can happen going into a sushi bar all alone wearing a full on suit and tie"
The restaurant was mostly empty since they were located in the middle of nowhere and the waitresses kept coming back to my table since I was sitting alone playing around on my phone asking if everything was alright @@Needless to say, the service was quick and the food was tasty but I dont think I'm gonna go to a restaraunt like that alone anytime in the near future 

Guest vintageous

i think there's a comfort in eating alone. fast food places are easy since everyone just comes and goes but the places where you are being served by a waitress, it takes balls and not everyone can do it (similar situation with going to the movies alone). i don't do it unless i have to since i like saving money and eating at home but when i do, i don't feel embarrassed or anything. you don't ever have to share :D

vintageous said: i think there's a comfort in eating alone. fast food places are easy since everyone just comes and goes but the places where you are being served by a waitress, it takes balls and not everyone can do it [similiar situation to going to the movies alone]. i don't do it unless i have to since i like saving money and eating at home but when i do, i don't feel embarrassed or anything. you don't ever have to share :D

No, i dont think it's weird. Of course it feels better when you're not alone but if you have the feeling you wanna eat in calm atmosphere without forced to dialogues I don't see anything wrong with that. I (can) enjoy eating alone. :-)

Guest hunnygurly

When I was younger, I wouldn't but as I get older I realize I just dont care! people are too busy enjoying their own food to look over and say " Eww that girl is eating alone!" Don't get me wrong, I would prefer eating with people but if I have to I'll eat alone and not even care

Guest hunnygurly

i'll admit that its much easier to eat alone at a fast food resturant than some sit down place. It would be hella awkward to eat at a family resturant by yourself

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zelda4u

i get exhausted sometimes from having to carry conversations when eating with others, so i like eating by myself, enjoying my alone time ~_^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lolaleatherwhip

I think eating alone is the best because you can eat as much as you want in whatever way you want without being 'polite' towards the person(s) you're eating with, and I'm a big eater. It also says so in the drama Let's Eat LOL I'd like to be really daring and take myself out during Valentine's Day getting all dressed up, and picking a really fancy restaurant to just eat out alone. haha
Although I've never dined out alone before besides the usual lunch breaks at fast food joints, I don't think it's weird and I find it admirable that people can be so independent - something that I'm trying to be more of. There's always this notion that doing things alone causes people to take pity or feel sorry for you which I dislike and I'd like to be one of those people who just thinks IDGAF. I'm actually trying to make it one of my life goals to be able to do activities alone without being self conscious or feeling 'sad' about it. It's like why should wanting to do things by yourself be considered a 'sad' thing? Sometimes you just want time to yourself and relax etc.
A bit off topic of food but on topic about going solo, one of my friends went to a Beyonce concert solo and had the time of his life. He also went to Singapore without knowing the place or anybody there because he wanted a life break. My brother also often goes to the movies by himself. I think it's really cool.

Guest fluffystars

It all depends on your mood and what you want to do! Don't concern other people's eyes or opinions and do what you feel like! If it makes you feel better eating alone then do so ^^

Guest sydsunshine

Nope not at al. There's nothing wrong with being independent and dining alone. You don't need a friend to babysit you while you eat. I have relatively good self-esteem, and don't care what people think about me. Obviously, I make sure I'm socially presentable and doing the right thing. But I don't allow others to control my feelings easily. 

I find it kind of weird sometimes. Unless it's at like a cafe or food court where it's obvious people are just like grabbing a quick bite to eat. But if it's at an actual restaurant it's a bit of an odd thing to see. But honestly it kind of depends how the person looks. If they look a certain way I might think "wow that's so weird to eat all by yourself, that guy must be really strange and have no friends" but if they look another way i might think "woah look at that guy he's totally got his life together, he's so independent, he has so much confidence to not even care if he eats alone or with others. That guy has things to do and places to be. He's definitely going somewhere in life. So cool." haha okay I know it sounds kinda weird and maybe a bit mean but i can't help that that's what I think. All I can say is, if you're eating alone, don't act like you care. Be that second guy I described and have confidence. And if not... oh well everyone's gotta eat haha

• 2 weeks later...

Archived