[Drama 2014] Fated To Love You, 운명처럼 널 사랑해

Go Seung Ji

@gumi
Thanks for the share, my gosh, just about every post from you is amazing. The eloquent fan review pinpointed the reason behind Geon's fear, insecurity, and finally his resolution precisely. JH's message to his wife was just poetry. I've seen this side of him on Real Men, but to see him be so consistently attentive and thoughtful towards his family makes me want all men out there to be like him as well.

I couldn't wait for viki so I watched 19 on kdrama instead. It's not my favorite but it wasn't that bad. We got closure on Daniel's feelings for MY. Gun makes peace with his dad and his future. I guess we're not suppose to know whether Gun has HD or not because it doesn't matter. Whatever happens in the future Gun will have lived his life to the fullest and happy with MY by his side. I love all of the couple moments. We're so spoiled with the kisses! Hopefully there will be more and then some in the finale. JH is really strong! I wonder if he's stronger than his BFF KJK...JH on the parallel bars is no joke. What I didn't like about 19 though was the pacing. It was slow and was even choppy at times. I can forgive because we got a lot of OTP scenes. They should have really closed up Daniel and Se Ra plot by now IMO.

@gumi , @beabloom88 - thank you for sharing that on JH. I don't have a lot of time to follow this kind of stuff so it's nice to be able to read about it here.

All I can say is he is unreal. But because he is so amazing, JH was lucky enough to meet someone as wonderful as his wife. It should be the norm to appreciate and thank one's wife like he does, but sadly, it doesn't happen often enough, cough, ah hem, my hubby - are you reading this? (Ok, I know it goes both ways) LOL In all seriousness, I am sure all those experiences trickle into his job and helping him. I'd say them same about LG and MY. How lucky were they to have meet each other. I felt like it was real (not the scenarios in which it unfolded) but real as in a man who was feeling quite lonely in his heart, despite appearing to have everything on the outside meets a woman with the heart of gold. Someone, or two, finally saw what a gem she was. I fell in Love with this drama because it had so much heart. Despite both Gunnie and MY's flaws and the dramas flaws, these two made me care about them and what happened to them. I need to sleep as I can feel that I can't write anything coherent anymore or with depth. I will miss the finale live cause I have a meeting. Eeks!!!! Do not disappoint me drama. Go out with a bang! I will look forward to our two leads next projects and CJH in two years. Gunnie fighting! Miyoungie fighting!!

Guest KhristaG

@honeywell‌ same thought WJW and CJH has no sibling chemistry going on I was rooting for them frm the start though then bummer siblings alert.

Guest rxthien

maialorena

said:

Gun's dad's diary, from the last page (from Dramabay subs), where he saw the picture of the tree:
I regret more than anything..missing time..with my loved ones because I was afraid of death. Why did I make such foolish decisions? *insert sweet dad-son moment with little Gun* I want to live like that from now on. I should go back to my family now."
Hhmm. So he meant to come back? Is that why he was together with LG's Mom when they died? He decided and called his wife and they were about to finally come home and be together as a family? This is even more...I can't! Ugh! :(
This must be what reinforced Gun's decision to be with Mi Young, to accept her love and face everything together. Oh, show. Even at the penultimate episode, you give us revelations and tender moments. And that what happened, particularly the three years of separation, really was to show 1) the effects in the lives of HD, 2) how the person affected (LG's Dad) reacted to the disease (or at least its symptoms) and, 3) how that reaction affected their lives. 
Now we get to see Gun making this realization earlier than his father. And he gets to see the parallels between his mother and Mi Young. His mother did not know (assuming up to the very last minute) and he saw how she suffered, thinking the worst of her husband. Mi Young knew and it was she who decided she was going to be happier by his side. 
And now we see parallels between father and son. His dad decided for himself and suffered as well. But when he realized that it was no way to live, it was already too late and the sorrow he left was already so deep and affected so many people (Gun, Omma, Halmeoni, Yong and Yong's Mom). Gun decided as well but with the help of Mi Young's courage, because she KNEW, he decided to face the future with her. 
Oh Fated To Love You. As if we need one - or two or three - more reasons to love you! 

Sidenote: "Why don't we build a nest tonight? A loooooove nest" plus bg music of Neil Sedaka's You Mean Everything to Me is the most hilarious thing EVER!! :)) :)) :))

@gumi said:

There was this BEAUTIFUL review by a fan named M in FTLY DC gallery, and I really wanted to share it. It's a little long, but I think it's worth reading.

Spoiler:

It's really insightful and beautifully written, I'm afraid some of the beauty is lost in translation...

But really after reading this (before reading this, too, I felt it...this just articulated it a little more) I really don't think HD or amnesia was just a 'k drama cliche' which incompetent writers had to resort to in order to move the story plot ahead. It wasn't just a tool to simply re-set the relationship and divorce them and make them fall in love again 3 years after, just to follow the original...I really do think the disease was used for the real message the writers wanted to send, about confronting fear and pursuing happiness.

Thank you so much for sharing this gumi. That was absolutely beautiful.  :((

rxthien said: gumi said:

There was this BEAUTIFUL review by a fan named M in FTLY DC gallery, and I really wanted to share it. It's a little long, but I think it's worth reading.

It did end with comic "Jang Na Ra!", but Gunnie's dream was actually not all that comic--'amnesia'.

He is spending some happy time with MY right now, but he is not dreaming some lovey dovey moments nor R-rated, but he dreams of amnesia. One of his most traumatic experience. 

For 3 years he slept crouching on one corner of the bed, probably not having a single night with good deep sleep

he finally is able to sleep happily by MY side and yet he has a 'nightmare'.

Dreams tend to show what is usually on our mind. Some psychologists like Freud claimed that dreams were manifestation of unconsciousness.

I think the dream showed Gun's unconscious insecurity. He did have the courage to be together with MY, but he is still scared and nervous about death, about the fact that he might forget his love at any time and might have to leave the loved one.

The reason why Gun was rushing a little was probably because of his own insecurity.

Confronting Ssambap lady who was treating him like 'a guy who could pass away at any moment', Gun was actually seeing himself like that as well.

After reading Father's diary for the first time, Gun says he never wants to spend a day apart with MY again. In front of Chairman Wang, he says he will 'immediately' start living with MY.

He doesn't want to waste any time. He really doesn't know what will happen in the next moment. Worst case scenario, he will start to show the symptoms and will die, so how can he not cherish every minute, every second?

Today's episode spent a lot of time showing Gun trying to get permission from MY's mom. I think that shows how insecure Gun feels at the moment.

He needs to get the permission, needs to get married, needs to do everything quickly, before his time runs out.

His brain is telling him that there will be no regrets, staying with the loved one until the last moment,

but his heart is still vulnerable. The happier he gets, the more nervous he gets.

It is said that humans are the most insecure when they are the happiest. Sweetest happiness always carries shadows of insecurity.

He must be feeling like he is walking the clouds. The higher he gets, more elated he feels, but if he falls that gets more fatal.

No one can assure him how long this happiness would last, and Gun was still carrying the insecurity that this happiness might break at any moment.

Insecurity comes from the fact that a person cannot foresee his own future.

Gun is nervous that he might have the terrible experience of forgetting his loved one again, and he is scared that he might die.

His father was scared for the same reason, so he decided to leave his loved wife and son, and hide his sickness.

But the future does not always come in the form we imagine and anticipate.

Gun's father, in the end, died of a sudden 'car accident' not the 'genetic disease' he feared so much.

Isn't that life? The moment he decides to go back to his family, his life ends. What a fate.

Thus, it probably is not the solution to fear the unknown future. Maybe Gun was more correct in deciding to go through it, holding on to the loved one's hand.

Human life is mortal anyway, and everyone experience death once.

When would that death be, and for what reason, no one can be sure.

The fact that there's a high 'probability' for the disease doesn't imply 'he will die of the disease'. That was the case for Gun's father.

So Gun goes looking for the tree.

Until he found out about Father's real emotions, Gun probably locked up his childhood memories with Father.

He thought Father cheated on Mom, thought he abandoned both Mom and himself. The hatred tarnished even the good memories.

But Gun realizes that Father made the decision same as his 3 years past self, and today he realized that Father actually regretted that decision.

So he decides to be a little more courageous. The moment Gun must have been curious at some point in the past but tried to ignore...his father's last moment. Gun asks Yong's mom about his father's last moment, he remembers the happy childhood memories with Father, and opens the time capsule he buried with his father.

It may not be directly confronting death yet, but I believe that itself was already Gun's courage.

Reconstructing the memories of his father, who he blamed and hated for entire life. The process of regaining the memories that he locked up. The process ofactively finding that memories.

One of the symptoms of the disease, the symptom that Gun experienced and thus decided to send MY again was 'loss' of memories.

And what Gun is now doing, bringing up courage to confront his given fate, is 'regain' of memories.

Gunnie, right now, is directly confronting the disease that is shackling him. He is throwing in his whole self to stand against the insecurity.

With the father's episode, which didn't include a lot of plot twist, and to be honest was a little boring, Gunnie's facial expression changes like this.

Holding MY's hand and running, he smiles as if he is a bit more free from fear and insecurity.

Perhaps Gun will be the first son in Lee clan to win against the hereditary disease.

Who knows. Among Gun's ancestors, there must have been many who actually died of the disease, but there may have been cases, such as Gun or Gun's father, where the 'fear' of the disease exacerbated situation and caused tragedy.

There's this famous story. A person froze to death in ice storage overnight, but when people came and checked the next day, the freezer was broken and temperature was normal. But the person's death cause was actually hypothermia.

Maybe what really deteriorates a person is not an incurable disease or fate, it may be a person's own fear.

So Gun who is overcoming the insecurity and taking a step forward for a life without regret, he rightly deserves a happy ending.

Happiness is not a random gift from someone, it is something people earn and win.

Insecurity,

its another name is,

preparation for the new fate. 

It's really insightful and beautifully written, I'm afraid some of the beauty is lost in translation...

But really after reading this (before reading this, too, I felt it...this just articulated it a little more) I really don't think HD or amnesia was just a 'k drama cliche' which incompetent writers had to resort to in order to move the story plot ahead. It wasn't just a tool to simply re-set the relationship and divorce them and make them fall in love again 3 years after, just to follow the original...I really do think the disease was used for the real message the writers wanted to send, about confronting fear and pursuing happiness.

dramabay is subbed as well!

http://www.dramabay.com/fated-to-love-you-episode-19/

P.S. Thanks @gumi for translating the review, I've never felt touched like this before while reading any kdrama review. I do hope that the insecurity is just LG's own fear. LG is a very nice guy who feel lonely after his parents (particularly his mother) left him. And such loneliness might bring too much fear in his life.

M-ssi, you better join us here! *oops*

Guest fiovial

Awww Jang Hyuk saying his goodbye already :(( . Geon is a special character indeed. We will deeply miss him........

Thank you @gumi for bringing that fan post here. I agree totally with what she wrote.

Back to episode 19...the more I think about it the more I like it now. I knew I ship Geon-MY's mom for a good reason. She even got to BUTT SLAP and SLEEP WITH Geon. I gotta say she got the upper hand over Mi Young there. Mi Young never slap Geon's butt :))

All kidding aside I thought it made total sense that MY's mom didn't attend the wedding. She already said she wasn't coming so she kept her words. She might let Geon marry MY but that doesn't mean she has to rejoice over it for her own reason. I respect that.

And ohhh remember that we have oppas and nam dongsaengs here too..so when we do say our goodbyes soon don't forget our male FTLYers...hehehhehe ;)

lol i was just browsing through JH's past interviews....and among his interviews from previous drama press conference, I found these:
"I am actually better in comic than action. I do have strength in it, but then what's even stronger is melo. I just haven't shown it yet." 
The news says he was being witty, but hey he was not joking he actually meant it....! He has proven himself to be the comic melo king thru FTLY!

Guest rintintintin

Thanks @gumi for this one. I feel that this fan says it right. Gosh, 8 hrs to left and my time is getting faster huhuhu! :( The question is: "What should i do tomorrow since no more FTLY for us?" :( No need to be lonely as long as these 2 will be my inspiration. :)

omonaaaa.. i just watched ep 19 with subs..no doubt i love this episode to the bits
:x..my fav.scene of course the noodle kiss..love ..love it..so passionate, so erotic
:\">..i can really feel their passions toward each other..btw did they had some rice cake pounding already ? i'll be cheated if they did it without we knowing it.
i love the exercise's scene as well..JH's atletic ability is so amazing..incredible ..i'm in awe
^:)^

fiovial

said:

Awww Jang Hyuk saying his goodbye already :(( . Geon is a special character indeed. We will deeply miss him........ Thank you @gumi for bringing that fan post here. I agree totally with what she wrote. Back to episode 19...the more I think about it the more I like it now. I knew I ship Geon-MY's mom for a good reason. She even got to BUTT SLAP and SLEEP WITH Geon. I gotta say she got the upper hand over Mi Young there. Mi Young never slap Geon's butt :)) All kidding aside I thought it made total sense that MY's mom didn't attend the wedding. She already said she wasn't coming so she kept her words. She might let Geon marry MY but that doesn't mean she has to rejoice over it for her own reason. I respect that. And ohhh remember that we have oppas and nam dongsaengs here too..so when we do say our goodbyes soon don't forget our male FTLYers...hehehhehe ;)

samasta93

said: "Lee Gun held Mi-yeong and said, "Shall we make a love nest tonight?" and was about to kiss again when their guests arrived for the house party." (Ref: The2watery post above, **I have difficulty in quoting a quoted article at soompi on my phone @-) ) ------ Okay.. this is to me is pretty much a confirmation that they have sealed the deal.. and indeed it's him who is expecting more of it.. LOL

:)

)

:)

)

That rang so true and is deeply moving, @gumi. Please thank the DC fan for us. And I thank you from the bottom of my heart in translating and sharing it with us. I'm aware some people gave up and left FTLY at its turning point in the story, but if only they had open their hearts to see that there was more to Gun than his possible disease. When you come this far, you realize it's not about HD or whatever disease he may or may not have, it's about learning, growth, confrontation, and triumph. So much heart in this drama.

More Jang Hyuk, more FTLY in human society please.

Thank you Gumi for the translations.... I havent read yet the review of FTLY DC fan coz I do first read your translation about Jang Hyuk's thought to the end of this drama made my tears fell.. Thinking about this day will be the final episode made me even sadder. I dont know how my Wednesday,Thursday will be... Thank you Spideysteve for the new bts still, How can Jang Nara look so beautiful? Love her wedding head dress .... :x @all Thank you for a wonderful journey.. First time ever in my life to experience this.. Truly remarkable!