[Drama 2014] Gabdong - Memories of Murder / Gap Dong 갑동이

StaRix

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So looking around for some new material I bumped into this series and I think I just might give it a shot seeing that the last gamble I took (14 Days) payed off quite nicely. As was the case with 14 days  I'm mostly intrigued by the cast - Kim Min Jung and Sung Dong Il especially - this veritable second lead collection looking quite promising.
 Honestly I kind of expect the same watered-down thriller version for this series because I've seen to many Kdramas that looked all dark and scary in the previews and then turned out somewhat brighter. I'll be happy if they just don't throw in some random scene or character meant to lighten the mood and keep it serious till the end. How this will work for the audience is a big question mark for me especially if we look at the previous series in the same timeslot.
 One small criticism before the series even starts: they really should have tried to keep away from any connection to the 2003 film because they are only setting themselves up for disappointment - that was one proper thriller and the cast was all kinds of awesome.

victorb said:One small criticism before the series even starts: they really should have tried to keep away from any connection to the 2003 film because they are only setting themselves up for disappointment - that was one proper thriller and the cast was all kinds of awesome.

Orion said: Given this is set in an imaginary place and that Gap Dong will probably be shown, I think they are only using the same case as inspiration. Both works being based on the Hwaseong serial killings aside, I don't think they will have any connection, but people will inevitably make that connection, since they are both based on the same thing.

The series is actually called 'Gap Dong I' [갑동이]. I am not sure why HanCinema added the second part. It is either an English official title used to let people know what it has a connection to or then HanCinema needs to update its info on it. So far, I have not seen any effort by the production to associate itself with the movie. I have only seen others talk about them both due to the common concept.

So I do think they'll go for their own thing. As for quality, remember that this is tvN. It's cable and therefore more free to go dark, since the audience is different. Trying to sell thrillers to the Big Three is like dangling a steak in front of a vegetarian. Cable works a bit differently. That said, tvN is not jtbc so it's not a channel that usually does dark. But they might be wanting a piece of the pie now, since romcoms and lighter stuff are getting out of fashion.

victorb said:   If HanCinema was the one that added the Memories of murder part then I guess I get why they did that as for cable doing dark series in a more convincing manner... I'm still on the fence about this. Jtbc does try but still when you see blurred knives (not guns for some reason :)) ) and blurred gang tattoos you can't help but smile even watching the most tense scenes of a series. Anyway, I guess we have to wait and see just how far they are willing to go or better said how far the ratings allow them to go :).

There are these points you may want to know:
- The people circled within the red thread are the personnel inside the Iltan Police Station where Ha Mu Yeom works

- The one in knit hat is Master Jinjo of the Guanyin Shrine who took young Mu Yeom in after the death of his father as young Buddhist monk (Ref: http://my.interest.me/content/16113267)

- Mathilda, although her current webtoon titled "Road of the Beast" is about a psycho killer, is actually a cheerful 17-year-old lady who admires "coolness" and she finds both Ha Mu Yeom and Rye Tae Oh both very cool. (In the drama we will find her following Ha Mu Yeom all around for inspirations for her webtoon creation although the latter neglects her) 

- The figure in total black was the dead father of Mu Yeom

One thing is very intriguing:
- Oh Maria was a victim of Gabdong 17 years ago and the only witness. Actually, some fans have been speculating that the little girl survivor in the "Gabdong" webtoon (Ref:https://www.facebook.com/YoonSangHyunInternationalFansClubHongKong/posts/693281470735867?stream_ref=10) was Oh Maria
- that actually explains why she has been so eager to know and even track down Gabdong and her reaction on hearing Gabdong may still be alive) 
- The lady in the chart under Oh Maria is her mother

10245275_695268550537159_84155876_n.jpg

cr as tagged / yshsupportj
via YoonSangHyun International Fans Club尹相铉國際後援會(香港Hong Kong)

Orion said: The blurred things are not due to the channels though. They are censorship imposed on them by the Korea Communications Commission that is responsible for it. It is a government problem. It is cable, but it is still television. But compared to the Big Three and when talking on a creative level, cable channels are much more willing to go dark outside of the melodrama/makjang genre and let series be fresh.

Given censorship stills exists and that cable channels and the effort for cinematic quality and reaching new audiences are still in their early steps, it is setting yourself up for sure disappointment to expect movie-level of quality or tone. Different medium, different restrictions and freedoms.

Archived