[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

Over on the Blog, @newbie posed a question here:
http://pianoconversations.wordpress.com/2014/08/30/found-out-in-the-end/

Since it was relevant to the past week's rewatch, I thought it especially pertinent to share here, for which s/he kindly gave permission:

I always wondered what Seon Jae ment saying ‘until the end’. Did he think at that time, that they wouldn’t have a future? If so, when did it change? When was the moment he realized he wanted her for good? Ah, I need to start a re-watch soon!

Reposted under Questions: Asked, Answered, and Otherwise -dualnon

@dualnon also responded:
I wondered what he meant as well. Is it a translation issue? A turn of phrase?

We also invited @newbie to join us over here for our rewatch discussions, so we may have a new face joining us sooner or later.

Over on the Blog, @newbie posed a question here:

Since it was relevant to the past week's rewatch, I thought it especially pertinent to share here, for which s/he kindly gave permission:

I always wondered what Seon Jae ment saying ‘until the end’. Did he

think at that time, that they wouldn’t have a future? If so, when did it

change? When was the moment he realized he wanted her for good? Ah, I

need to start a re-watch soon!

@dualnon also responded:

We also invited @newbie to join us over here for our rewatch discussions, so we may have a new face joining us sooner or later.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yep. I think SJ didn't expect the affair to last.....at that point in time. It would be strange and unrealistic if he did. As JS puts it they (adulterers n adulterees) all start off affairs thinking "oh I'll just get my feet a little wet that's all..."

All SJ knew then was that he's smittened by HW, she's his Goddess, that she too is a little interested and that it would be great if they can start something....he probably just wants to love her and have opportunities to display that love.

He bearly knew her then so it'd be strange if he was already planning a "happily ever after" ending with her. Also, he knew all too well that they are both attached.

Welcome Newbie!

@ktomato:  
"until the end" ---meaning what? 
 We know that he already didn't like to share her with her husband, he was very up-front about that!  He definitely expects more and has started to plan for it, with a return to his own apartment.  He knows that she wants to be more than his teacher, also.  She does not deny it  They sealed the relationship with the hug he gave her.   I always wondered if Prof. Kang could SEE into the apt.( he appears bent over, as if to look) or just HEAR and IMAGINE what went on?  Must have been at least 5 or 10 minutes before he drove away.

Is a time limit implied when he said that he knows he loves her more (than she loves him)?  Maybe. Since it needs to be kept secret still for her sake as a married woman, right?  So I think it is probably correct that he has not yet looked to any long-range plans.   

Guest dualnon

mdj101 said: @ktomato:  
 We know that he already didn't like to share her with her husband, he was very up-front about that!  He definitely expects more and has started to plan for it, with a return to his own apartment.  He knows that she wants to be more than his teacher, also.  She does not deny it  They sealed the relationship with the hug he gave her.   I always wondered if Prof. Kang could SEE into the apt.( he appears bent over, as if to look) or just HEAR and IMAGINE what went on?  Must have been at least 5 or 10 minutes before he drove away.

Is a time limit implied when he said that he knows he loves her more (than she loves him)?  Maybe. Since it needs to be kept secret still for her sake as a married woman, right?  So I think it is probably correct that he has not yet looked to any long-range plans.   

@newbie said:

I always wondered what Seon Jae ment saying ‘until the end’. Did he
think at that time, that they wouldn’t have a future? If so, when did it
change? When was the moment he realized he wanted her for good? Ah, I
need to start a re-watch soon!

I think SJ's speech when HW comes to his home the night after the scene in which he makes his case for moving back there is related to this question. So earlier in the day, he has said that he doesn't want to be found out 'until the end'; and I think his speech to HW that evening is a continuation of those thoughts from a few hours before.
When I heard that speech again this time around, with the knowledge of the ending and the dialogue from the prison Waiting Room to inform it, I realized that it is full of statements and phrases that usually are made in the context of convincing someone that he would make a good partner.

Here's what he says:
Look. You told me this before, "You're different from those kids. You're special." I'm not a kid who's just acting cute in front of you, and I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not insensitive like Professor Kang, either. ... I think you're trying too hard. To make yourself look like a grown-up person in front of me. I can do well. ... Not getting intimidated. ... To you, I am 100% sincere, so I don't have to lie, is what I mean. I have nothing to be afraid of. Of course I'll have to hide it from other people, to protect you. But that's why I can do it even better. Now that I'm here in my own home, my confidence has gone up, and somehow I feel like I have nothing to hide.
I feel like I'm a rather decent guy. (HW attends more) So as for you, don't worry too much, and don't act too grown-up, either, and -- You just need to love me. You have nothing to lose. It's obvious I'm the one who loves you more. (HW laughs) I'm just saying... (hides his head).

So the things that especially struck me this time around were the phrases like, "I'm not insensitive like Professor Kang," "I feel like I'm a rather decent guy," and, "You just need to love me. You have nothing to lose. It's obvious I'm the one who loves you more."

First, SJ specifically compares himself favorably to Kang as a partner for HW. Then: "I feel like I'm a rather decent guy" is a phrase a young man would say to his prospective in-laws to get their approval to date their daughter, or in making his case to the daughter herself. And "I'm the one who loves you more" is a concept used repeatedly in kdramas and elsewhere, usually among women, such as a mother to daughter, in teaching that it's better for her to find a husband who loves her more than she does him. It's also a nice reversal by gender of that usual trope.
Thinking in terms of the proposal at the end of the show, I think that here SJ is definitely making his case to HW to woo her, in old-fashioned terms.
So I don't think "until the end" a few hours earlier refers to the end of their love, but the end of their love being an illicit affair.
(Some apocryphal support for this could also be found in the Pogorelich/Aliza reference in the show, where in RL Ivo made the statement to Aliza very early on, while she is still married, that he "will make it happen," i.e., his marriage to her. I don't think SJ is quite there in this scene, but I do think that's his expectation, or at least the trajectory that his statements indicate he's on.)

Guest dualnon

This screencap is from ep05 where YW is trying to get Prof Kang to rat out Mme Han and Dean Min.  I just used it for a quote on the blog.

I love the visual angle of this enormous room with just the two of them.  Prof Kang is seated at the head of the far end of a long expansive table (we only see the corner and one edge) with a giant platter of food in front of him and a huge thing above him that frames his head like a crown.  YW is seated at the end of what seems like an endless row of pillows (we don't see the beginning).  There's also a reflection. 

There's something so ridiculous about the whole thing.

I wish we had an interview with the cinematographer.

ep02setmeup01.png

edit - I think SLA must have had a polishing crew that went around day and night polishing things to keep them smudge and fingerprint free

Here's another one I used recently.  I mean how long does that fireplace go on?  And couch for that matter.  These people are nuts.

ep05quotecollateraldamage.png?w=672&h=37

dualnon said: This screencap is from ep05 where YW is trying to get Prof Kang to rat out Mme Han and Dean Min.  I just used it for a quote on the blog.

I love the visual angle of this enormous room with just the two of them.  Prof Kang is seated at the head of the far end of a long expansive table (we only see the corner and one edge) with a giant platter of food in front of him and a huge thing above him that frames his head like a crown.  YW is seated at the end of what seems like an endless row of pillows (we don't see the beginning).  There's also a reflection. 

edit - I think SLA must have had a polishing crew that went around day and night polishing things to keep them smudge and fingerprint free

Here's another one I used recently.  I mean how long does that fireplace go on?  And couch for that matter.  These people are nuts.

mdj101 said: @ktomato:  

Guest dualnon

gretac said: dualnon said: This screencap is from ep05 where YW is trying to get Prof Kang to rat out Mme Han and Dean Min.  I just used it for a quote on the blog.

gretac said: Over on the Blog, @newbie posed a question here:

I always wondered what Seon Jae ment saying ‘until the end’. Did he think at that time, that they wouldn’t have a future? If so, when did it change? When was the moment he realized he wanted her for good? Ah, I need to start a re-watch soon!

@dualnon also responded:

Kim Hee Ae won Best Actress at the Seoul International Drama Awards 2014 for playing Oh Hye Won!!!! 

Not sure if I missed out but I don't think I saw SLA in the Best Drama list....
Here are some photos of our elegant seungsaeng-nim! She did a curtsy before receiving the award but I can't seem to find any screencaps for it! Photo credits: KHA Thailand Fanpage on FB
KHABA_zps07668c8e.png
KHABA2_zps9c21a01c.png
KHABestActress_zps8cad1e55.jpg

@lisafransisca,
Thank you for that stunning picture of the Bridegroom!  So funny how I can look at it and see first one, then the other --- hot Seon Jae and cute Yoo Ah In.  Also an example of the importance of the actor's photogenic features and body. YAI's innate talent and polished skills shine whenever he strikes a pose!   How old is he in this picture?  He looks SJ's age, doesn't he?