[Drama 2013] Answer Me 1994 / Reply 1994 응답하라 1994

StaRix

class="post-title"Fox Adapting Korean Coming-Of-Age Musical Drama With ‘Step Up 3D’ Team By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday June 12, 2014 @ 4:12pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: Fox, home of high-school musical dramedy Glee, has put in development Answer Me 1999, a limited series based on the Korean show Answer Me 1997, a musical coming-of-age drama about a group of friends. Step Up 3D writers Amy Andelson and Emily Meyer will write the script, with the film’s director Jon M. Chu set to helm the opening episode. All three will executive produce for FX Prods. In Answer Me 1999, the timeline moves back and forth between a group of friends’ past as high-school students in the late 1990s and their present as adults. It is described as s a musical journey through the most transformative decade of the modern era — one that catapulted us into the digital age and forever changed how we interact with each other.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/fox-adapting-korean-coming-of-age-musical-drama-with-step-up-3d-team/

class="entry-title"Fox to Develop American Adaptation of Answer Me 1997While ABC’s adaptation of tvN’s Nine Time Travels is stuck somewhere in development, another hit tvN drama has a shot to make its away across Pacific with Fox looking to adapt Answer Me 1997/Reply 1997 for the US.

Deadline reports that Fox has put Answer Me 1999 into development with Step Up 3D writers Amy Andelson and Emily Meyer writing the script and Step Up director John M. Chu at the helm of the pilot with all three set as Executive Producers under FX Productions.

The article describes the series as a “musical drama” and “musical journey,” but unless they’re developing the adaptation as a replacement for Glee, that description could be misleading.

I’d say both Answer Me series are musical dramas in the way NBC’s late, great American Dreams was a musical drama in that the music of the era was used as a way to frame and enhance the events in the characters’ lives and of the world at that time. People aren’t breaking out into musical numbers during the episode.

This Fox adaptation is interesting in many ways. Both Answer Mes definitely had a gimmick (which is not mentioned in the Deadline article and I won’t spoil here), but both were at their best as true coming-of-age and slice of life stories. The characters friendships and bonds in the midst of a changing world were the biggest draw.

Setting Fox’s adaptation in 1999 at the height of *NSYNC, Britney, Christina and the Backstreet Boys is pretty inspired and a good jumping off point. But like most American teen dramas, Answer Me 1999 will probably be a sexed-up version of the original series, both of which were more innocent, even while groundbreaking in many aspects. That innocence and more conservative Korean drama treatment added to both series’ charm and nostalgia, at least for me.

So regardless, it will be interesting to see what Answer Me 1999 would eventually look like.

Still, while this is great news for Korean drama (many deserving of the big Hollywood treatment), I’m more anxious to hear about Nine Time Travels‘s fate.

http://dryedmangoez.com/2014/06/12/fox-to-develop-american-adaptation-of-answer-me-1997/

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="at_ttl" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 30px; line-height: 35px; letter-spacing: -0.03em; clear: both; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"Fox To Give "Reply 1997" and "Reply 1994" The “Glee” Treatment

"Reply 1997" and "Reply 1994" may soon get the "Glee" treatment. Fox Television, which was responsible for the musical TV hit "Glee," is producing an American version of the Reply dramas. The two k-dramas are going to be melded into one and called "Answer Me."

The resulting American production is described as musical coming of age drama about a group of friends.

The opening episode of the drama will be a collaboration between director Jon M. Chu, and writers Amy Endelson and Emily Myer of "Step Up 3D."

Chu comes from a dance/choreography background and has produced online series that focus on dancing. He directed the dance movies "Step up 2" and "Step Up 3D," plus the Justin Bieber concert film "Never Say Never." He also directed "G.I. Joe" Retaliation," which starred Lee Byung Hun, and Chu will soon direct "Jem and the Holograms."

There are no details yet on how the original k-dramas will be adapted.

K-dramas have come to the attention of American producers in the last two years.

An American production of "Boys Over Flowers" premiered on viki.com. The reviews for the small-scale production were mixed.

Kim Yunjin, the star of the American television hit show "Lost" has plans to produce an American version of the k-drama "Nine: Nine Time Travels," which starred Lee Jin Wook. That drama is about a man who gets nine chances to travel back in time and fix the wrongs that happened to his family.

Daniel Dae Kim, who played Kim Yunjin's husband on "Lost" and now stars in "Hawaii 5-0," is in talks with CBS to create an American version of the k-drama "Good Doctor," starring Joo Won. "Good Doctor" is the story of a genius pediatric surgeon with some social problems.

"There's something that Korean TV does that no other country does -- the way they portray heartbreak and melodrama," Daniel Dae Kim told the Hollywood Reporter in May. "In America, there are more serialized dramas and there can be room for something inspired by Korean TV, because I believe good content can transcend cultural barriers."

While this is true, it may be hard to see how the Reply series can be translated into an American one. Netizens wondered why the producers had not chosen another drama such as "Dream High."

"Reply 1997" was not even a musical, said one netizen.  Glee did great but this is an entirely different kind of show.

How do you feel about the adaptation idea?

Copyright ⓒ 2012 KDramaStars.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

In this scene from drama Reply 1994, Jung Woo wears Oxford Out Pocket Shirt Beige by BESLOW. The first layer of cloth.966122_544060665690319_85918992_o.png
_2014-01-03__4.49.18.png?type=w1

Three of the cast will participate in tvN's new show "Youth Over Flowers!" Awesome!
9jqtCzZ.jpg
That's Shin PD with them in the first photo. Source
CHWN2IV.jpg

Credit: R94 DC
And the show's website page.
It starts airing in August.
They are on their way to Laos here but isn't Ho Jun currently filming Trot Lovers? LOL

“REPLY 1994″ MEETS THE “OVER FLOWERS” FRANCHISE IN “YOUTH OVER FLOWERS
Reply 1994 fans who were missing the cast need not cry any longer. The actors who played the sweet, determined Chil Bong (Yoo Yeon Seok), playful flirt Haitai (Son Ho Jun) and innocent, confused Bing Grae (Baro) are reuniting for the next installment of  tvN”s smash hit travel series called Youth Over Flowers. We previously got Grandpas Over Flowers  then Noonas Over Flowers. Does that mean that the final installment will be Babies Over Flowers?
The cast will consist of six members. The first group (Yoon Sang, Yoo Hee Yeol, Lee Juck) set out for Peru in June. On July 7th, our Reply group headed to Laos. And like for the other cast members, they didn’t know that they’d be appearing on the program till they got to the airport. So this should be a lot of fun. LOL.
In addition, it appears that Reply 1994‘s PD, Shin Won Ho will also be appearing.

The only variety show I consistently watch is Happy Together so I don’t know if I’ll be watching this but I’m sure that this news will make tons of people happy.
The series will debut in August.zLCCXDA.jpg
RwEVKiZ.jpg
credit http://couch-kimchi.com/2014/07/07/reply-1994-meets-the-over-flowers-franchise-in-youth-over-flowers/

• 2 weeks later...

I finished watching the 21 episodes. AM1994 was an amazing drama. And I recommend it to my best friend and my worst enemy too. It's on my list of favorite dramas from now. 
Although I wasn't watching this drama when was on air (God, thank you very much) I really appreciate it because I think the mystery about Na Jeong's husband would kill my poor nerves. But I'm honest, from the first episode I always had the intuition that Trash would be the chosen one. And although I'm Team Trash I can't deny that I loved Chilbong too. Truly a dream guy.
My only bad review for AM1994 is that I would have preferred see a beautiful love story with Chilbong's wife too. 
Anyway, I loved from start to end to AM1994. And I'll watch this drama again, for sure 
:)>-

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kimcheeboy

This question is one for the Reply 1994 fanatics. Does anyone know what the background whistling song in the drama is called? It's in a lot of scenes where silly things happen, like when Samcheonpo were contemplating whether to go to the train station to meet Yoonjin's deaf mother, he kept going back and forth with his bicycle, the whistling song was accompanying this silly scene. Does anyone know this song???

• 2 weeks later...

class="titleNews" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 10px; font-family: arial, dotum, Helvetica, AppleGothic, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 23px; line-height: 28px; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(80, 80, 80); color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Go Ara Still Enjoys Chatting with ‘Reply 1994’ Team
Go Ara is apparently still maintaining her friendships with the cast members of Reply 1994.

Magazine High Cut released a set of photos featuring Go Ara as a woman of autumn by wearing a trench coat and a knit dress, showing off her feminine charms.

In the interview that followed, Go Ara brought up her relationship with the Reply 1994 team and the meaning behind her name.

74596002.jpg
74596004.jpg

When asked if she still keeps in contact with the cast members of Reply 1994, she sad, “Our Kakao chat room is so funny and the conversation never ends, so much so that it could be made into a script. We’re tied to each other with a sense of loyalty, like a family.”

About her name, Go Ara said, “In pure Korea, ‘Ara’ mean ‘Ocean.’ My father gave me the name, wishing for me to become a person clear, deep and wide like the ocean.”

Photo credit: High Cut
Mwave

StaRix said:

When asked if she still keeps in contact with the cast members of Reply 1994, she sad, “Our Kakao chat room is so funny and the conversation never ends, so much so that it could be made into a script. We’re tied to each other with a sense of loyalty, like a family.”

About her name, Go Ara said, “In pure Korea, ‘Ara’ mean ‘Ocean.’ My father gave me the name, wishing for me to become a person clear, deep and wide like the ocean.”

Photo credit: High Cut
Mwave

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to Reply 1994 Team!!~ :x

class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 23px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Jaejoong, Oh Yeon Seo and More Win Awards at Korea Drama Awards 2014
Fotor01001220314.jpg

The 2014 Korea Drama Awards recognized the best actors and actresses in the industry today, October 1, at the awarding ceremony held at Gyeongnam Culture and Art Center.

As expected, the popular SBS drama series “My Love From the Star” took theBest Drama award for this year and its lead actor, Kim Soo Hyun, was awarded the Grand Prize for his performance in the drama.

Kim Soo Hyun’s eyes welled up with tears while he made his acceptance speech.”To the ‘My Love from the Stars’ producers and (co-actors) Jun Ji Hyun, Kim Chang Wan, Shin Sung Rok, Ahn Jae Hyun. To the (other) actor colleagues and staff. To (my) family, thank you very much. I will do my best to confidently be in this position,” said Kim Soo Hyun.

Aside from the Grand Prize, Kim Soo Hyun also received the Hallyu Hot Star award, taking home two awards.

Ahn Jae Hyun and Shin Sung Rok, who played supporting roles in “My Love from th Star,” also received awards for their performance in the drama. Ahn Jae Hyun took home the Best New Actor award alongside Seo Kang Joon while Shin Sung Rok received the Hot Star award. A total of five trophies were received by “My Love from the Star,” confirming its position as the best drama of the year.

The actors of tvN’s “Reply 1994” were also recognized for their work in the drama especially that their director, PD Shim Won Ho, took the award for theBest DirectorDohee also received the Best New Female award and together with Kim Sung Kyun, she took the Best Couple Award.

Singer-actor Kim Jaejoong has been recognized for his acting in “Triangle” as he received the Top Excellence Award, Actor category while “Jang Bori is Here!” actress Oh Yeon Seo was awarded the Top Excellence Award, Actress category.

The Excellence Award, Actor category went to Lee Kwang Soo of “It’s Okay, It’s Love” while Kang So Ra of Doctor Stranger received the Excellence Award, Actress category.

See the rest of the awards here:

Grand Prize: Kim Soo Hyun (My Love from the Star, SBS)
Best Drama: My Love from the Star, SBS
Best Screenwriter: Jung Hyun Min (Jeong Do Jeon, KBS 1TV)
Best Director: Shin Won Ho (Reply 1994, tvN)
Top Excellence Award, Actor: Kim Jaejoong (Triangle, MBC)
Top Excellence Award, Actress: Oh Yeon Seo (Jang Bori is Here!, MBC)
Excellence Award, Actor: Lee Kwang Soo (It’s Okay, It’s Love, SBS)
Excellence Award, Actress: Kang So Ra (Doctor Stranger, SBS)
Best New Male Actor: Ahn Jae Hyun (My Love from the Star, SBS), Seo Kang Joon (Cunning Single Lady, MBC)
Best New Female Actor: Do Hee (Reply 1994, tvN)
Best Couple: Kim Sung Kyun and Do Hee (Reply 1994, tvN)
Best Child Actor: Kim Ji Young (Jang Bori is Here!, MBC)
Best Drama OST: Ailee, “Good Bye My Love” (Fated to Love You, MBC)
Hot Star: Shin Sung Rok (My Love from the Star, SBS)
Hallyu Hot Star: Kim Soo Hyun (My Love from the Star, SBS)
Global Actor: Otani Ryohei (Joseon Gunman, KBS 2TV)

Congratulations to all the winners!

Soompi

Good news GOod News!!!! GOOOOOOOOODDDDD NEWS!!!
itemprop="name" class="entry-title" style="margin: 17px 0px 7px; font-family: 'Roboto Condensed', sans-serif; font-weight: normal; line-height: 40px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-size: 34px; word-wrap: break-word; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Producer Shin Won Ho confirms that a third ‘Reply’ series is in the works48885-266108-700x494.jpg

Following the successes of ‘Reply 1997′ and ‘Reply 1994‘ previously, the much anticipated third ‘Reply’ series is reportedly in the works according to the producer of the drama series, Shin Won Ho.

Shin Won Ho said, “The team members are currently researching ideas for the next series. No one knows for sure whether it will take place in 1988 or 2002. There’s also a possibility that we could simply push away all our present ideas, and go for other themes.”

The producer added, “The discussions have come to a standstill, and a different story idea might come up when we meet the next time. There’s still a year to go, so we are really grateful for all the attention that we are getting.”

CJ E&M said on the morning of October 6th, “Producer Shin Won Ho and writer Lee Woo Jung are indeed preparing something new, but nothing has been confirmed as yet. The drama’s name ‘Reply 1998′ is just one of the many ideas that came up during meetings. The broadcast date and concept are still in the discussion phase.”

‘Reply 1994′ which was aired in the latter half of 2013, garnered mass popularity with viewers, and it obtained a 11.9 percent rating for its last episode which was an incredible achievement for a drama airing on cable television. The rating also made ‘Reply 1994′ the first cable drama series to go past the 10 percent barrier. The careers of the ‘Reply 1994′ cast members like Jung Woo, Go Ara, Yoo Yeon Seok, Kim Sung Kyun, Son Ho Jun, B1A4′s Baro, and Tiny-G’s Min Do Hee have also changed remarkably for the better in the aftermath.

With the back-to-back successes of ‘Reply 1997′ and ‘Reply 1994′ by producer Shin Won Ho and writer Lee Woo Jung, many are looking forward to seeing whether they will make it a hat trick with their next ‘Reply’ drama series.

By: Alvin
Copyright@KpopFighting.com

Producer Shin Won Ho confirms that a third 'Reply' series is in the works

omg!!! this got me real excited... give me the same magicc of combo Shin PD and writer Lee!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

class="content-title" style="font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 23px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4em; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Winners of the APAN Star Awardscrystalcove November 15, 2014
The APAN Star Awards of the 2014 Daejeon Drama Festival took place today, celebrating the brightest stars in the industry. The APAN Star Awards evaluated 87 dramas from cable and main networks that aired between November 1, 2013 and September 2014. It is in its third year.
201411152210777293_546750fb9dca3.jpg201411151859441111_1.jpg
Jung Woo and Son Ho Joon from “Reply 1994” took home the Excellence Award for Acting in a Medium Length Drama (Male) and Best New Actor award, respectively.

read full winners list: http://www.soompi.com/2014/11/15/winners-of-the-apan-star-awards-jo-in-sung-d-o-park-shin-hye-kim-soo-hyun-kim-hee-ae-and-more/

Archived