[Movie 2013] Monster 몬스터

Guest arch00

class="entry-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; font-family: Ubuntu, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.2; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-size: 28px; padding-top: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"A Screaming Teenage Girl Takes on a Serial Killer in Hwang In-ho’s MonsterBy Nix on March 6, 2014
LEEMin-Ki_as_Tae-Soo_3-650x433.jpg

Place your bets, folks! It’s a feisty teenage girl versus a hunky serial killer who can rip people’s hearts out with his bare hands! Yeah, normally I would totally go with the serial killer in this little bout, but since this is a movie, and having the serial killer (the “bad guy,” if you will) win is kinda lame, I’m guessing the girl will come up on top. Let’s hope she has more going for her than just a lot of screaming, cause this fight might not last long if that’s the case.

Check out a trailer for Hwang In-ho’s South Korean thriller “Monster” below, along with a poster and some images for your viewing pleasure.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 16, 2014
Eun-gyo returns as a ‘Monster’Actress Kim Go-eun speaks about her latest film, her passion for acting
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Actress Kim Go-eun made an impressive breakthrough film debut back in 2012, with filmmaker Jung Ji-woo’s critically acclaimed sensual drama “Eungyo (A Muse).” The 22-year-old is best known by the name of her first-ever film character, Eungyo, a lively teenager who becomes the object of desire for a renowned elderly poet. 
Many expected her to continue her professional career after finishing “Eungyo” ― which received much attention for its subject matter and sexually explicit scenes ― and nabbing nine new actress awards for the role, including Blue Dragon and Grand Bell awards. Instead, she took a break and went back to Korea National University of Arts to finish her acting degree. After an almost two-year hiatus, Kim is returning to the big screen as a disabled woman who goes mad in the vicious thriller “Monster.”
“I was thinking, ‘Should I just do another film when I am receiving the most attention?’” said Kim in an interview with a small group of reporters on Friday. “And my conclusion was that I just couldn’t do it. So I just went back to school and participated in a play and made a short film. It was really great to work with my colleagues who are all so passionate about acting and cinema. I had a great six months, and I think I made the right decision.”
20140316000081_0.jpg
Actress Kim Go-eun before an interview in Seoul. (Yoon Byung-chan/The Korea Herald)
Dressed in a simple, striped sweater and blue jeans, the actress was noticeably wobbly on her high heels, saying she “doesn’t normally” wear them. She did not hide her impish, curious nature, randomly commenting on an iPad keyboard and recording device while talking about her movies. 
“Does this recorder work as a radio, too?” she asked out of the blue in the middle of the interview.
In her latest film ― her second ― Kim stars as Bok-soon, a young woman whose younger sibling was murdered by a ruthless killer named Tae-soo (Lee Min-ki). The grieving woman has a developmental disability, and almost becomes psychotic when she learns that her sister is dead. With uncontrollable anger, madness and in spite of her mental disability, she plans her revenge. 
“I thought Bok-soon was sort of, I don’t know, cute when I first read the script,” Kim said, when asked what drew her to “Monster” and her character. “She was like some cartoon character. She has this developmental disability, but she’s simple and kind, loves her sister and is almost uncannily responsible. She’s spent her entire life selling vegetables in a market, so she’s very tough, and determined too. I thought it was interesting how such a character becomes this monster as she goes through a series of unfortunate events. I also liked the idea of a female character fighting against a serial killer.”
Aside from “Monster,” Kim also starred in director Park Heung-sik’s martial arts film “Hyeopnyeo” ― which is scheduled to be released in the second half of this year. Both of the films were very physically demanding, with rigorous training and intense fight scenes. But Kim is no stranger to physicality. She took dance lessons when she was a teenager, which helped her understand “what it means to express (oneself) using one’s body.”
“But I don’t think I enjoyed dancing,” Kim said. “Dancing requires tremendous dedication and it can be quite painful. I think those who dance in spite of all that do it because it somehow makes them happy. But it didn’t make me happy. Even when I was told that I was good at it, I just thought, ‘Okay, since I’m good at it, shouldn’t I be allowed to go home now?’ But with acting, no matter how hard it is, it makes me happy. It was really hard pulling off these fight scenes. At some point, I thought I was going to die because I was so exhausted. But once the shooting is done, all of that doesn’t really matter. I want to continue doing this.”
Filmmaker Jung Ji-woo, who discovered Kim for his film “Eungyo,” told The Korea Herald in 2012 that Kim is “naturally curious and brave,” and that he thinks it has to do with her upbringing. “She spent 10 years of childhood in China and did not experience the fierce competition of the Korean education system. She’s strong in the sense that she isn’t influenced easily. She doesn’t do things just because everyone else does it.”
Kim said she was shocked to find out that in Korean schools, students take physical education classes indoors, when she first moved back to Korea from China as a middle school girl. 
“I was even more shocked to learn that there was a textbook for physical education classes that you had to read,” she said. “My life in China was eventful. My family lived in the outskirts of Beijing, where you wouldn’t run into a lot of Koreans. I guess my way of thinking can be seen as somewhat peculiar, and maybe it has to do with my upbringing. I’m not sure. Whenever reporters said, ‘You must be feeling a lot of pressure as an emerging actress,’ I told them, ‘Not really. I get nothing good out of it.’ That was an honest answer and they were surprised. And now I feel like I should say I feel pressure not to look too weird.”
Kim decided to become an actress after participating in a small play while attending high school. It was a small role, without many lines, but playing the character enabled her to get a response from a live audience for the first time. 
“I am happy because I get to do what I love to do, what I always wanted to do,” she said. “But being an actress isn’t just about acting. You have to meet people, talk to people, and a lot of the times, it’s about being a team member. And I don’t think I necessarily knew about that. So I’ve been getting used to the non-acting work that I have to do (as an actress).”

[Review] 'Monster' Lee Min Gi- Kim Go Eun, The Monster Inside Me Is Growing

xf126ag6xklosej04yns9jr70k1hca21.jpg
[by Choi Song Hee/ translated by Sunghee Park] Lee Min Gi and Kim Go Eun threw away their lovely and romantic images. Only figures of a cruel murderer and a crazy woman are left to greet audiences.  Bok Soon, who has mental age of 7, raises her only sister Eun Jung by selling vegetables on street. One day, Bok Soon’s beloved sister gets killed by Tae Soo, who commits serial murder to protect his own secret.
With her unbearable anger, Bok Soon runs out to seek Tae Soo with a single kitchen knife in her hand. The chase between Bok Soon, who runs to take on revenge of her sister, and Tae Soo, who tries to finish up the serial murder by killing Bok Soon, begins. 
z0pk8dks8z701mkmbl7pnb61zx2zd7j3.jpg
Every character in the movie reveals its monster-like appearances. With their unavoidable stories that turned them into monsters, everyone lives behind a mask of human being. 
Director Hwang In Ho once said, “Every human being has two faces. This is why it’s hard to determine someone is nice or bad. Within this idea, I believe that Tae soo and Bok Soon are much more innocent than other characters. There are various kinds of monster in the movie. It will be interesting to ponder about who is a real monster. Overall, I would like to say that this movie is something more than determining who is a victim or prepetrator.
The movie creates a curiosity whether monster is made or born. Thus, the movie doesn't explain why Lee Min Gi has become a monster. Rather, Lee just lives a life of monster, committing murder without having a reason. 
Director Hwang In Ho explained, “Tae Soo was originally born as a monster. Even though he has an appearance of human being, he is just like a dragon or monster that lives alone in mountain. Thus, Tae Soo committing a murder doesn’t signify anything.” There are some monsters that show humane responses. Characters like Kim Rae Ha and Kim Boo Sun induce laughter of audiences by making funny yet humane reactions as they face fear. 
posx6nzysr6uluyy698blv2a61nxof25.jpg
Throughout 114 minutes of air time, the movie continuously alters its atmosphere depending on different characteristics of monsters. In contrast with Lee Min Gi, who consistently shows his fierce eyes under darkness, Kim Go Eun exudes an innocent atmosphere, humming salacious lyrics. 
Even with Lee Min Gi and Kim Go Eun’s enthusiastic acting and bloody battle, 114 minutes of running time some how feels long. If you had a huge expectation toward fancy action scenes, this new style thriller might make you feel unfamiliar. (photo by NEW).contact: news@bntnews.co.uk | www.bntnews

class="titleNews" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 10px; font-family: arial, dotum, Helvetica, AppleGothic, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 23px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 28px; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(80, 80, 80); color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"[interview] Lee Min Ki Transforms into Killer for ′Monster′2014.03.22 15:00  CJ E&M enewsWorld Son Bo Kyung  Translation Credit : Yeawon Jung

Actor Lee Min Ki previously charmed the public with a soft and cute image. 

Through drama Dalja’s Spring and movies A Good Day to Have an Affair, Romantic Island, Quick, Spellbound, Very Ordinary Coupleand more, he showed off his friendly charms.

Then he came back with a 180 degree change. In the movie Monster, Lee Min Ki took the role of ruthless murderer Tae Soo. His frightening smile, sharp gaze along with defined muscles send out chills even without a single line
61215002.jpg
Perfectly pulling off the killer’s image, one might wonder, ‘Why didn’t he take on a role like this before?’ 

Lee Min Ki answered, “I think I was more fit for cute and bright characters until now. And it’s hard to come across a role like this when you’re in your mid twenties. I’m glad that I met Monster at a time like this.”

Comparing his character from Very Ordinary Couple to the one in Monster is enough to make one’s jaws drop in disbelief. He has perfectly transformed into a ‘monster,’ succeeding in making a dramatic transformation. 

“I’ve always had the thirst for a change,” said the actor. “I wanted a change in the genre, not in my image. That’s when I came across Monster. I can’t say that I didn’t feel any pressure to act as a murderer. So I spent some tough time transforming myself.”

Lee Min Ki’s efforts to transform into a killer gathered much spotlight even before the movie released. In order to have a muscular body, he first gained 17 kilograms, then lost all 17 kilograms, leaving his body with just 4% body fat, in order to show the character’s sensitive and sharp image.

“Taking many soft roles until now, has given me certain habits that those characters carry. And they were not easy to get rid of. So I tried to live as ‘Tae Soo’ before filming began, re-shaping my body and putting all my effort into the transformation. I didn′t sleep well until now and became very sensitive,” said the actor.

[interview] Lee Min Ki Transforms into Killer for ′Monster′

Changing the body shape and thoughts within a short time period was not an easy thing for him, but Lee Min Ki did not want to easily give up on the challenge that he brought on to himself. 

“Taking the role of ‘Tae Soo’ was a way to test my limits, because it was completely different than my previous roles,” he said. “It was a role that I would one day face as an actor, and even I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. So I took on the challenge with the mindset of thinking ‘it’s either now, or my acting career is over.’”

Monster is a thriller that has both tense and warm elements. What was it about Monster that moved Lee Min Ki’s heart?

“From the time I saw the scenario, I thought the movie was very unique,” he answered. “Thrillers are usually centered around a certain storyline with a twist of events, but Monster was focused on the conflicts between the characters. I thought it was cliché to act in a movie with a perfect and obvious storyline. I felt like this movie had new elements, even though the storyline may not have been perfect.”

As he finished the interview, Lee Min Ki said, “If you expect to see a traditional thriller, you might be disappointed. It’s a movie that you can enjoy, if you watch it without any preconceived ideas. The genre is claimed to be a thriller but it also has elements of drama as well as comedy.”

Photo credit: enews/ Hea Jung Min | 
mwave interview

[*]In Focus: Monster[*]
[*]by SONG Soon-jin /  Mar 24, 2014[*]
[*]vexxqdqvjXjJxVWdaiMT.jpg[*][*]Directed by HWANG In-ho[*]
[*]Starring LEE Min-ki, KIM Go-eun[*]
[*]Release Date March 13, 2014[*] [*]
[*]
[*]Filmmaker HWANG In-ho, who presented an impressive combination of horror and romantic comedy in his 2011 film Spellbound, returns with Monster. But this time he intends to surprise audiences with an approach rarely touched upon in Korean commercial filmmaking by mixing thriller with comedy.[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]Ik-sang, played by KIM Roi-ha, suddenly appears in front of his younger brother Tae-soo (LEE Min-ki) to ask him to steal someone’s cell phone for their cousin JEON (played by NAM Gyeong-eup). Tae-soo, a merciless murderer who lives alone in a deserted forest, decides to do this favor for his long-lost brother. Unfortunately, Tae-soo ends up committing murder instead of finding the phone as well as taking Na-ri (AHN Seo-hyun), as a witness home with him. Tae-soo proposes a game to the young girl Na-ri, who has become his hostage, that gives her an opportunity to escape. Na-ri barely makes it to the house of Bok-soon (KIM Go-eun), a vendor at a local market. One day, Tae-soo ventures down to the village in search of Na-ri and kills Bok-soon’s younger sister Eun-jeong (KIM Bo-ra). Bok-soon, who witnesses her sister’s death, vows to get her revenge. 
[*]
[*]VmwUdNPcMZNuxIhnFEzn.jpg
[*][*]The director presented the film as “a character drama” due to its depiction of family and life through the heartless murderer Tae-soo and his archrival, the tough country girl Bok-soon. Tae-soo’s exceptionally violent nature has forced his family to repeat a cycle of abandonment. But it was his family’s opportunistic attitude to exploit Tae-soo despite their disgust towards him that only aggravated the loneliness and monstrosity within him. The film applies thriller genre conventions to the emotional journey of Tae-soo’s past and present. On the other hand, the slightly ‘slow’ but independent and aggressive Bok-soon is depicted through fantasy and comedy. Bok-soon, who fights tooth-and-nail to take care of her family, finds the courage to go on following an apparition of her deceased grandmother. Her inner world is endlessly pure and merry. “Monster may be a thriller, but it spends a lot of time on Tae-soo and Bok-soon. I made an effort to express the emotions, alienation and loneliness the main characters were experiencing. It was their emotions rather than the situations I wanted to explore,” states the director.[*] [*]
[*]And it is the energy that explodes from the collision of their totally opposite worlds that makes the film interesting. Nonetheless, whether the thriller aspect of Tae-soo and comedy aspect of Bok-soon are as well combined as they were in the filmmaker’s previous work Spellbound leaves room for further discussion. For instead of harmony, the director experiments by combining each genre convention and pushing them to their extremes.[*]
[*]
[*]Unfortunately, Monster, due to its implications of a merciless society, becomes a film that is difficult to only read genre-wise. At a glance, the film’s title seems to represent a woman turning into a monster as she fights against a psychopath. However, the film puts realistic characters and situations at the forefront of the film as it poses the question “Who are the ones that are turning Tae-soo and Bok-soon into monsters?” The film ruthlessly observes JEON’s spontaneous choice to cover up violence with money which results in the death of innocent people and a horrific conclusion, and in the end leaves us with nothing but a hollow laugh.[*] [*]
[*]
[*]
[*]By SONG Soon-jin march 24 2014 koreanfilm

[*]Box Office: March 6-19, 2014[*]
[*]by TAE Sang-joon /  Mar 24, 2014[*]
[*]
[*][*]Strong men dominate Korean theaters. 300: Rise of an Empire, coming seven years after the original graphic novel adaptation, and Non-Stop, a solo show for Liam Neeson are pursuing steady runs at the box office.  [*]
[*]
[*]Though both were released on March 13th, Elegant Lies and Monster achieved different results. Elegant Lies stars KIM Hee-ae, who returns to the screen after a 21-year absence since The 101st Proposition in 1993. Director LEE Han cinematized writer KIM Ryeo-ryeong‘s novel once again, after Punch (2011). Besides KIM Hee-ae, KO Ah-sung, who appeared in The Host (2008) and Snowpiercer, KIM You-jung and Kim Hyang-gi also turn in strong performances, and the film topped the box office chart by drawing 182,620 viewers during its first weekend. Approximately 680,000 admissions were recorded in total. However, the thriller Monster by Spellbound (2011) director HWANG In-ho, starring LEE Min-ki and KIM Go-eun (Eungyo) drew 88,995 viewers, nearly half of Elegant Lies, and also behind 300: Rise of an Empire (103,519). Even though KIM Go-eun played enthusiastically, the harsh criticism of its awkward combination of thriller and comedy elements seemed to affect its early run.
[*]
[*]
The endurance of Miss Granny has been phenomenal. The film climbed to number twelve on the all time Korean box office chart in its eighth week, attracting 8.59 million admissions as of March 19th. 

The film has accrued 59,618 admissions as of March 19th. Manshin: Ten Thousand Sprits, starring KIM Sae-ron, RYU Hyun-kyung and MOON So-ri, was directed by media artist PARK Chan-kyong who is the younger brother of director PARK Chan-wook. The movie drew 20,000 viewers in its first week. Meanwhile, Intruders by director NO Young-seok, which was awarded the Grand Prix from the Hawaii International Film Festival last year, passed 10,000 admissions
Non korean movies not includedRead full at  koreanfilm

• 2 weeks later...

HWANG In-ho, Director of MONSTER

"I Want to Think Free of Genre"
gyXaPAXJhwTxsOvwfoAo.jpg
Vicious serial killer Taesu (played by LEE Min-ki) meets innocent countryside girl Bok-soon (played by KIM Go-eun). He cruelly destroys her life and Bok-soon gears up to take her revenge. Monster is a collision of genres between an extreme action thriller and a fairytale-like fantasy, creating a new and strange cinematic world, while inviting controversial arguments. One thing for sure is that it is not the kind of movie to be understood in the mainstream trend of Korean commercial films today. Here’s a chat with HWANG In-ho, the director of Monster. - You must have received a variety of responses after the premiere. Yes, and I felt nervous. It seems they think it’s even stranger than I intended it to be.  - Your previous work Spellbound (2011) was a mixture of horror and romantic comedy. You are also known as the writer of To Catch a Virgin Ghost (2004) which also combines horror and comedy. You must have given a lot of thought to the mixing of genres.
I would say that genres as rules or formats have become increasingly important in Korean commercial films. However, I feel uncomfortable within the format and its limitations. I want my story to flow free of genre restrictions and develop a new character. Why do you have to respect every genre rule? My story still makes sense anyway, with or without them.  - I am curious how Monster came about.
When I was still working on pre-production for Spellbound, I wrote the Monster scenario in my spare time.  At first, I thought of Taesu as a purely vicious character. He is deserted by his parents and lives alone in the woods, yet misses his family. I also needed a feeble persona as his opposite, and that became Bok-soon. At first it was an old granny, and she was to hunt down the monster with a mentally handicapped uncle and Nari, another girl serving as a guide. However, with an old granny, funding was not easy (laughs). So I turned that granny into an old neighbor in Bok-soon’s neighborhood, and that uncle was added into Bok-soon’s character. I like unusual female characters, so I made Bok-soon mentally deficient but also somewhat psychotic and ready to explode when attacked. In short, a crazy woman. How can a woman like that kill such a vicious and invincible man? Watching the process is the fun of the film
jcqLHRATmijAYfTqjNEF.jpg

- You did a lot of work on other supporting characters, including Taesu’s family. It makes the audience wonder who on earth is the real monster. I heard an anecdote once that a man’s mother died and he buried her in the cemetery. On his way home, he was so hungry that he stopped at a Chinese restaurant and the black bean noodles had never tasted so good, despite his grief. Those moments show a glimpse of human nature. Human beings have many different aspects. Taesu’s mother locks her son up in a dog cage and abuses him, and she seems purely evil. However, towards the end, she volunteers to save the vulnerable little girl. Ik-sang, who makes Taesu commit murders, is in fact a loving father to his own son. These people are actually among our neighbors that we see every day. There is a certain kind of food chain among them. At the very top is the Jeon-sa-jang, the one who is responsible for Taesu’s act of murder in the first place, then there is Ik-sang’s family, and then Taesu, and at the very bottom are Bok-soon and Nari. The command comes down form the top. Ik-sang uses money and delivers the command, upon which Taesu murders Nari’s sister but it is Bok-soon who exacts her revenge. And in the end the Jeon-sa-jang at the very top and Bok-sun at the bottom finally meet, but they do not recognize each other, nor do they have any idea why all this occurred in the first place. However, the viewers would see that all this tragedy stems from the Jeon-sa-jang. This is a cross section of our society. They meet each other at the end, but have no idea who they are, and just walk on. - As the Korean film market is expanding, generic formats are being set down. As a result, Monster may look strange.
In my previous work Spellbound, I just added a ghost to a simple love story, which resulted in a romance with a totally different texture than other romance films. In a similar vein, I was expecting the kind of dynamics you get when you introduce an innocent and happy girl, such as one you might find in a fairy tale, to the cruel world of Monster. What counts for me are characters. If you cry over your murdered sister and chase after the murderer, fighting, winning and losing, then the tone and manner of your film would be pretty much the same as other films. There are many directors who are better than me in these regards and Hollywood would surely do a great job of it. However, what interests me is the fresh tone created by a new type of character when he or she is introduced to a different cinematic world. I hope viewers find it interesting, too. - Aren’t those aspects an obstacle in terms of funding and production?
Some were not happy by the open-ended ending, and they missed the kind of conclusion where the good are rewarded and bad are clearly punished. I did receive a suggestion to clarify and simplify the whole structure. However, when I actually explained where all this was coming from, most of them understood. The only real problem with funding was that it was too gory. But I had no wish to make it that way. For example, this film doesn’t clearly show the scenes where Taesu kills the supporting characters. Gore in my idea is to take something out of your belly (laughs). Monster does have violence but it is definitely different.  - How are you getting on with the scenario for your next film?
It’s almost done. I am more interested in writing than shooting, because there is just me and the script. If I do a good job, everything is fine. When you are actually making a film, there are many kind of circumstances and people that you have to deal with, which is very hard for me. Even if I try very hard, that is not enough. My next work is called Conversation in the Dream, which is a prison break movie disguised as a romantic comedy. Here, what counts more than the characters are the circumstances that they are in. I want to get it done before my bank account runs out. I am living from hand to mouth. (laughs)...
BsIAIDdVpNzjHUpjxhPW.jpg

By SONG Soon-jin  | KOFIC | March 28 2014

• 2 weeks later...

An interview with Kim Go-eun and Lee Min-ki, lead actors of the film "Monster"

Caption: I'm feeling Some Some something Some

Reporter: I'm feeling some 'something' right now.

Caption: They liked each other since before working together?

Reporter: I heard you liked each other since before working together...

Reporter: Is my information correct?

Caption: Nod, nod

Lee Min-ki: When I heard Go-eun would be in it, I was so happy.

Caption: When I heard Go-eun would be in [the same movie], I was extremely happy.

Lee Min-ki: I was so happy I was like an idiot.

Caption: I was so happy I was like an idiot

Kim Go-eun: Granddad, I brought a cake.

Caption: Granddad, I brought a cake.

Reporter: Eun-gyo's innocence is boundless

Caption: Such an innocent girl...

Kim Go-eun: Lady, cucumbers are 5,000 Won!

Caption: Lady, cucumbers are 5,000 Won!

Reporter: Kim Go-eun transforms into Bong-soon, an illiterate street vendor.

Caption: Flying like a basketball player

Reporter: These aren't the only surprised people.

Caption: A dunk shot with a radish!

Lee Min-ki: I'd have preferred it if we'd done a mellow film together...

Caption: I'd have preferred it if we'd done a mellow film together...

Reporter: He dreamed of a sweet romance, but Min-ki was disappointed at the reality.

Caption: He dreamed of a sweet romance,

Reporter: The two meet in a twist of fate, in a terrifying thriller.

Caption: Reality had a surprise for them

Reporter: Let's find out now what incredible events happened between them.

Caption: The two lead actors of the thriller film "Monster"

Caption: Dizzying Interview

Reporter: This time, the youthful stars

of the malicious thriller film "Monster", Lee Min-ki and Kim Go-eun are with me. Hello. Wow

Caption: Dizzying Interview / Kim Go-eun, Lee Min-ki / Monster

Caption: Cho Choong-hyun / Kim Go-eun / Lee Min-ki

Kim Go-eun: Hello.

Lee Min-ki: Hello.

Reporter: Amazing youthful stars. You're glowing with youth.

Kim Go-eun: In Monster, I am Bok-soon, who lives with her younger sister.

Caption: In Monster, I am Bok-soon, who lives with her younger sister.

Kim Go-eun: An incident makes her lose her sister, and she is chasing the person responsible.

Caption: An incident makes her lose her sister, and she is chasing the person responsible.

Lee Min-ki: My role is the person who caused her sister to die.

Caption: My role is the criminal (Tae-soo) who caused her sister to die

Kim Go-eun: He was very kind.

Caption: He was very kind.

Reporter: Your beauty is even kinder.

Lee Min-ki: We both end up chasing each other.

Caption: It's a role of mutually chasing and being chased

Reporter: Min-ki, you've done lots of rom-coms, Rollercoaster...

Caption: He's done lots of romantic comedies, so how was it to play a murderer in a thriller?

Lee Min-ki: Yes.

Reporter: You did lots of that, but now a thriller's murderer.

Lee Min-ki: Of course, I'd have preferred to do a mellow film with Go-eun.

Caption: Of course, I'd have preferred to do a mellow film with Go-eun.

Lee Min-ki: And I still hope I could do that.

Caption: And I still hope I could do that.

Reporter: Shall we look into the film now?

Caption: Let me ask you for one thing.

Actor: A woman said she'd give me her phone, but didn't.

Caption: A woman said she'd give me her phone, but didn't.

Actor: I think she recorded something secretly and will use it to extort money.

Caption: I think she recorded something secretly and will use it to extort money

Actor: Could you get it for me?

Caption: Could you get it for me?

Lee Min-ki: Struck off the family register, phone number changed, moved away.

Caption: Struck off the family register, phone number changed, moved away.

Reporter: Tae-soo receives a request from his brother.

Lee Min-ki: You turn up after 4 years 7 months, what are you doing?

Caption: You turn up after 4 years 7 months, what are you doing?

Caption: Could you shut up!

Reporter: Maybe because of his estranged brother,

Reporter: Tae-soo seems in a foul humor.

Actor: Please calm down.

Caption: Please calm down.

Actor: Sir, it was a joke!

Reporter: He accepts his brother's request.

Lee Min-ki: I'm here for the phone.

Caption: I'm here for the phone.

Woman: Let go!

Caption: Let go!

Lee Min-ki: If you close this door, you die.

Caption: If you close this door, you die.

Reporter: Be bursts in during broad daylight.

Reporter: The girl's younger sister senses a dangerous presence in the house.

Reporter: Or is it something else?

Reporter: He is interrupted as he is about to leave after doing his deed.

The child becomes his captive after he kills her sister.

Lee Min-ki: From now, you run; until I finish drinking this wine.

Caption: From now, you run; until I finish drinking this wine.

Reporter: From that moment, she starts running.

Kim Go-eun: Chives, 1,000 Won, geen onions 1,000 Won.

Kim Go-eun: Chives, 1,000 Won, geen onions 1,000 Won.

Caption: Chives, 1,000 Won, geen onions 1,000 Won.

Kim Go-eun: You're pissing me off!

Reporter: She's not well-educated, but Bok-soon supports her little sister.

Kim Go-eun: Lady, move!

Caption: Lady, move!

Reporter: She chases off a wrecking crea.

Kim Go-eun: Hey, you!

Woman: Ow, ow, ow.

Caption: Ow, ow

Reporter: She celebrates a safe homecoming.

Kim Go-eun: Eun-jung, I love you.

Caption: Eun-jung, I love you.

Reporter: But in this house, there is a small hidden visitor.

Reporter: And the next day...

Reporter: Tae-soo, chasing the young child, kidnaps Bok-soon's younger sister.

Reporter: To save her sister, Bok-soon chases him with no regard for herself,

Reporter: but when she confronts the fearless killer, how will she fare?

Reporter: Min-ki, I heard you had to lose a lot of weight for the role.

Caption: He had to lose weight for playing the role?

Lee Min-ki: I'm already thin, how could I lose more weight?

Caption: (People said) I'm already thin, how could I lose more weight?

Lee Min-ki: Overall, I think I gained and lost about 17kg.

Caption: Gained and lost 17kg

Reporter: Did you feel pressure about the unclothed scenes?

Caption: Were the unclothed scenes a burden?

Lee Min-ki: To show this character properly,

Caption: To show this character properly,

Lee Min-ki: I think it was something that was needed.

Caption: I think it was needed, so it wasn't a burden

Reporter: Go-eun, how was it? Did you see it together?

Caption: Go-eun, how was it? Did you see Min-ki's body?

Caption: A glance / No, I...

Kim Go-eun: No, I...

Reporter: So you didn't see it.

Caption: So you didn't see it.

Reporter: You don't seem very interested.

Kim Go-eun: I should have seen it.

Caption: I should have seen it!

Reporter: Lee Min-ki is a cool guy, who will expose himself for his role.

Caption: Lee Min-ki is a cool actor, who will expose himself for his role.

Woman: Do you even know how I hurt, and how difficult it is?

Lee Min-ki: Please let go of me now.

Reporter: No way!

Reporter: He prepared his body for the exposed scenes.

Caption: Whatever type of film of role, Lee Min-ki is an expert as exposing himself

Kim Go-eun: Lady, move!

Reporter: Miss Go-eun learned powerful flying kicks to transform herself into an action actress.

Caption: Kim Go-eun transforms into an action actress

Kim Go-eun: This is my spot, Park Bok-soon's spot!

Caption: This is my spot, Park Bok-soon's spot!

Reporter: Through this film's unending action, she also learned how to fall safely.

Reporter: Here is the best technique she learned from action school:

Caption: In the film Monstar: Powerful attacks, flying kicks, falling

Caption: Kim Go-eun doesn't hold back on the action

Reporter: Down-strike with a whole radish!

Reporter: There's a scene where you attack with a whole radish.

Caption: This scene has a secret

Kim Go-eun: Yes.

Reporter: How did you manage to get it to burst like that?

Caption: How did the radish shatter?

Kim Go-eun: There was a radish that had its insides already cut up, but it would still hurt a lot.

Reporter: Yes.

Caption: The insides were already cut up, but being hit with it would still hurt a lot.

Reporter: And then you hit him with this big rock.

Caption: Hitting Min-ki with a large rock.

Lee Min-ki: It was made from styrofoam.

Reporter: Ah.

Caption: It was styrofoam

Kim Go-eun: But that still hurt him.

Caption: But it still hurt him.

Reporter: Ah, really?

Kim Go-eun: Yes, when I hit hard it hurt; why wouldn't it?

Caption: When you hit hard, why wouldn't it hurt?

Caption: Argh! / Argh! / Argh!

Reporter: The problem scene!

Caption: Thump! / Thump

Reporter: Ooh!

Reporter: It's only acting, but she still feels regret.

Caption: It didn't look quite right

Lee Min-ki: It seems the hit was a bit off-target.

Caption: It seems it was off-target / Sorry / Sorry

Reporter: Min-ki stays calm, but that must have hurt.

Caption: It hurts, right?

Caption: I'm fine

Kim Go-eun: I'm sorry to a lot of people.

Caption: I'm sorry to a lot of people

Reporter: You can apologize to them now.

Kim Go-eun: I'm so sorry to you all!

Reporter: Won't you all forgive her?

Reporter: In order to avenge her sister, Bok-soon

Caption: Bok-soon chases the murderer to avenge her sister

Reporter: charges toward Tae-soo's hideout.

Child: Sister!

Caption: Sister!

Reporter: Her plan is discovered by the wicked Tae-soo. The child is once again being chased by Tae-soo.

Reporter: She thinks she has escaped, but

Reporter: the child is discovered and is in trouble again.

Caption: Not knowing how to give up, two monsters' chasing war

Reporter: Now the big sister's rage knows no bounds.

Reporter: The beastly murderer chases her down.

Caption: Monster, showing an entirely new face of these two actors.

Reporter: Lee Min-ki, so completely transformed into a cold murdered with terrifying eyes.

Reporter: I thought it wouldn't suit you, but you really play it well.

Caption: I thought it wouldn't suit you, but you play it well.

Reporter: How's your personality usually?

Caption: How's your personality usually?

Reporter: Yes.

Kim Go-eun: He's a bit brighter than Tae-soo.

Caption: He's a bit brighter than Tae-soo.

Reporter: A bit brighter.

Lee Min-ki: A little.

Caption: A little.

Kim Go-eun: You're not always positive.

Caption: You're not always positive.

Reporter: Do you admit it?

Lee Min-ki: Yes, that's right.

Caption: Yes, that's right. (Accepting)

Reporter: Have you imagined what kind of role you might get next?

Caption: What would you like to do next?

Kim Go-eun: Something more normal and maybe a love story.

Caption: Something more normal and maybe a love story.

Lee Min-ki: That would probably suit her.

Caption: That would probably suit her.

Reporter: Lee Min-ki's alright, isn't he? As a co-star, later on.

Caption: Lee Min-ki would be an alright co-star, wouldn't he?

Caption: For a romance film next...

Lee Min-ki: Dear viewers, thank you for watching today.

Caption: Dear viewers, thank you for watching today.

Lee Min-ki: Please enjoy our new film, Monster.

Caption: Please enjoy our new film, Monster.

Kim Go-eun: We hope you enjoy it.

Reporter: We're grateful you could join us today. Do well!

credit KOFICE + Wonbin Kahlua

Let's pray for all the passengers/crew/staff/rescuers/survivors and the family (of the people on board) of SEWOL...

• 2 months later...

Archived