Guest arch00

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 6, 2014
Eun-gyo takes on ‘Monster’ role
By Kim Hee-eun INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily
06214117.jpg

Actress Kim Go-eun, better known as Eun-gyo — a title role she played in the acclaimed film “Eungyo [A Muse]” (2012) — has come back with a thriller film, “Monster.”

“After playing Eun-gyo, I wanted to have some change in my character. As an actress, I do not want people to have a fixed image of me,” said Kim at the film’s premiere in eastern Seoul yesterday. 
The film, “Monster,” follows the bloody battle of Bok-soon and notorious killer Tae-soo, played by actor Lee Min-ki. 
“Unlike many other thriller films that depict female characters as victims, ‘Monster’ takes a different approach,” added the 22-year-old actress.
The film will be released on March 13. 

March 7, 2014
Kim Go Eun Presents a Fresh Spring Look in a Flower-Patterned Skirt
Source: BNTNews
dt63fyxig0y7y0rik52cw40j261mojor.jpg

[by Cho Suyoun / photo by Kim Chi Yoon] On March 6, new film 'Monster' invited reporters to hold a press conference.
'Monster' is a chase film about a crazy woman who lost her younger sister to a murderer.
After the press conference, many celebrities came to the cinema to attend VIP premiere.

March 7, 2014
Lee Min Ki Reveals, "I Lost 17kg for a Murderer Role"
2rzpv4wa6fw7p49s1fm2ytn0awcopnhh.jpg
[by Cho Suyoun / photo by Kim Chi Yoon] On March 6, new film 'Monster' invited reporters to hold a press conference.
'Monster' is a chase film about a crazy woman who lost her younger sister to a murderer.
After the press conference, many celebrities came to the cinema to attend VIP premiere.

March 7, 2014
Lee Min Ki and Kim Go Eun Starred Together in Chase Film 'Monster'
qbri7t7ope63ex1vz0g4hpxdodbwc57s.jpg

g01t88rj8bm27umfa1771ebi7zkz3e89.jpg

South Korea's "Monster - Movie" is coming to N. American theater on March 14th!

photo411024.jpg
South Korea's "Monster - Movie" is coming to N. American theater (Los Angeles, CGV Cinemas) on March 14th!
SynopsisBok-Soon (Kim Go-eun-I) runs a street stall while taking care of her younger sister. Bok-Soon may not be the brightest girl but what she lacks in intelligence, she makes up for in uncontrollable rage. She's infamously known as the "psycho richard simmons" in her neighborhood. Bok-Soon's relatively peaceful life with her sister is disrupted when they cross paths with a serial killer named Tae-Soo (Lee Min-ki). Tae-Soo kills Bok-Soon's sister because she may have stumbled upon the truth of his murderous lifestyle. Bok-Soon's rage consumes her completely, leading her to plot her revenge on Tae Soo. Meanwhile, Tae-Soo vows to tie up his only loose end-Bok-Soon. Bok-Soon's descent into revenge and electrifying struggle with Tae-Soo culminates in a riveting conclusion. Who will emerge alive-hot-blooded Bok-Soon or cold-hearted Tae-Soo?

credit HanCinemaSource cj-Entertainment

Lee Min Gi told that he feels satisfied with 'MONSTER'.
20140306175250_53183761e6d21_1.jpg
Meida premiere of movie 'MONSTER' was held on March 6th at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University branch, which is located at Jayang-dong, Seoul.
During the event, Lee Min Gi and Kim Go Eun appeared with director Hwang In Ho to introduce their new film and their parts.
Lee Min Gi casted in the movie as a ferocious murderer named Tae Soo, and made another major transformation. However, Kim Go Eun, who casted as Bok Soon, turns the movie rather comic.
Lee Min Gi said, "There were some very unique and unexpected parts in the scenario, and I actually got to love this film even more because of them."
He went on, "However, there are things that Tae Soo has to do for the film, so I tried hard to hold my focus tight during every scenes."
Lee Min Gi also said, "I think many comic scenes turned out quite well. I believe that such parts will make this film much more distinct."
Kim Go Eun said, "I also found the comic scenes very unique. However, I tried hard to not lose focus. I felt relieved while watching the film today."
Meanwhile, 'MONSTER' will hit theaters on March 13th.
Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

class="entry-title" style="font-family: Oswald, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 28px; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 14px 0px 0px; padding: 19px 12px; direction: ltr; color: rgb(240, 173, 29); text-rendering: optimizelegibility;"[spot] Press Screening for “Monster” – Lee Min-Ki and Kim Go-Eun’s Transformation53.jpg
On March 6, the press release for <Monster> was held at the Lotte Cinema KonKuk University. Director Hwang In-Ho, Lee Min-Ki, and Kim Go-Eun appeared to discuss the movie.
The movie <Monster> is about a murderer Tae-Su (Lee Min-Ki) and the crazy woman Bok-Sun (Kim Go-Eun) who chases after him, having lost her only sister to him.
Regarding the movie, Lee Min-Ki said, “It was close to what I saw in the script. I wanted to see the clashing energy between Tae-Su and Bok-Sun, but I didn’t get to watch the movie until the end since I had to prepare for the press conference. I think it’s well-made.” Kim Go-Eun said, “It had unique comic elements, so I paid attention to them. I discussed with the director so that such elements don’t interrupt the flow of the movie.”
When asked why Tae-Su became a murderer, director Hwang In-Ho said, “I think Tae-Su was a monster form the beginning – like a monster living in the woods.”13.jpg
Lee Min-Ki transformed into a relentless murderer ‘Tae-Su’

Having played the murderer for the first time, Lee Min-Ki said, “Such character is like a test for me as well. I try to match the character’s daily behaviors as well, so I thought about how Tae-Su would spend his daily life. But at the actual shoot, I act freely without thinking.”
When asked about her charms, Kim Go-Eun could not answer – the director Hwan In-Ho said instead, “I think this is her charm.” When asked if she wanted to look pretty in the movie as an actress, she said, “I wanted Bok-Sun to look lovely in the movie. Personally, I can look pretty during the promotion. In the movie, I think making the character believable is more important.”
When asked what it would’ve been like if they were to meet in the melodrama, Lee Min-Ki said, “I’m sad to have met her in the thriller. It would’ve been better if it were to be a romance (laugh).” Kim Go-Eun said, “I’m also sad, but when could I fight him like this? (laugh) The last scenes were physically demanding, but it was nice to work with him.”
Lastly, director Hwang In-Ho said, “<Monster> is not a movie about the murderer and the victim, but rather about the ‘food chain.’ It would be nice to think about who the real monster is in the movie.”
<Monster> opens March 13.
22.jpg
Kim Go-Eun played ‘Bok-Sun’ who has the intellect of a 5-year-old.

33.jpg
While they are the main characters, they don’t have many scenes together

43.jpg Lee Min-Ki’s new side can be seen from the <Monster>

Written by Han Jihee, Photo by Ryuma Getitk.com

[HanCinema's Film Review] "Monster - Movie"

photo411870.jpg

Bok-soon (played by Kim Go-eun-I) is mentally challenged. She's intelligent enough to make a living as a street peddler, but that's the full extent of her abilities. The young woman has trouble keeping track of anything but the most simple short-term reasoning, although she does easily understand the concept of love. Ironically, the titular monster of this film, Tae-soo (played by Lee Min-ki) shares almost the exact same basic personality traits. It's just that where a bad day for Bok-soon means screaming like a crazy person and conking people on the head, a bad day for Tae-soo means brutally and violently murdering everyone in the room.
A lot of weirdness ensues as these two people interact with a real world that they only barely understand with radically different results. The shifts between scenes are perplexing- in one stretch we go from discovering the terrible secret behind Tae-soo's pottery, Bok-soon lightheartedly preparing for an epic quest, people abruptly and comically getting lost in the woods, to a bizarrely misleading showdown at an isolated cabin.
While this film definitely has an otherworldly feel, it is clearly set in the real world. And it's pretty inescapable that as bizarre and incomprehensible as Bok-soon and Tae-soo are as people, the sheer simplicity and directness of their attitude is actually pretty compelling compared to the supposedly mentally well-adjusted characters. Who for the most part are just jerks.
King of the jerks is Ik-sang (played by Kim Roi-ha), who's the closest thing the movie has to a perspective character. He knows enabling Tae-soo's psychopathic behavior is probably a bad thing, but never seriously questions his own agency in Tae-soo's violent murders. To the contrary- Ik-sang's attempts to stop Tae-soo are motivated almost entirely by selfishness, and do absolutely nothing to address the fact that Tae-soo is himself merely a tool of the culture that Ik-sang lives in, and expresses no serious interest in leaving.
This is as astonishingly misanthropic movie. Society did not create Tae-soo, but the only reason the crazed lunatic is running around free is because society evidently has a place for deranged people who will commit murder on a moment's notice. Hilariously, there's often the sense that Tae-soo could probably be talked out of killing people, it's just that it's never occurred to anyone to tell Tae-soo that murder is bad. The film's final shot of Tae-soo's face gives the impression, not of a defeated killer, but of a guy thinking for the first time "is that really what I look like?"
Taken altogether director Hwang In-ho has pieced together a sick, violent movie that is in many ways a mockery of the fact that it's a sick, violent movie. Everyone's always trying to fight Tae-soo on his terms, completely failing to realize that the only reason Tae-soo fights anyone at all is because they boorishly disrespect him. In this way, Bok-soon is the most fitting possible antagonist for him. She hates Tae-soo for the same reason she hates anyone else- the guy's just another rude jerk in a world that already has too many. There's a lack of pretension in that motivation which makes the ending all too appropriate. Bok-soon and Tae-soo don't have the mental capability to process lies. Everyone else, though, they just assume lies are necessary to do business.
Review by William Schwartz | Hancinema

[HanCinema's Film News] New Korean Films Inbound...

photo410870.png

K-Films Coming Soon:

★★★★★  "Elegant Lies": An intense drama that follows a mother, her daughters, and others in theAftermath of the suicide of a young girl. (03/13)

★★★★  "Monster - Movie": A bright and brave young woman pursues a brutal and unpredictable killer after he kills her sister. (03/13)

★★  "Two Wives - Movie": A man searches for his wife but eventually takes comfort in another woman's arms, only to have his dearly beloved suddenly return. (03/13)

photo410868.jpg

Title: "Monster - Movie"     

Genre: Action, Thriller

Release Date: 2014/03/13

Director: Hwang In-ho ("Chilling Romance")

Length: 113 min

Stars: Lee Min-kiKim Go-eun-IKim Roi-haAhn Seo-hyeon

The Short and Sweet: A bright and brave young woman pursues a brutal and unpredictable killer after he kills her sister.  

March 11, 2014
Kim Go-eun in new film 'Monster'
PYH2014031004890031500_P2.jpg

Actress Kim Go-eun poses for an interview at a Seoul studio on March 10, 2014, to promote the new film "Monster," a revenger thriller of a girl who seeks a serial killer who killed her younger sister. (Yonhap) (END)

class="entry-title" style="font-family: Oswald, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, NanumGothic, 나눔고딕, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 28px; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 14px 0px 0px; padding: 19px 12px; direction: ltr; color: rgb(240, 173, 29); text-rendering: optimizelegibility;"Lee Min-Ki, Choi Min-Sik, and Ha Jeong-Woo: The Goose Bump Score of Their CharactersPosted by: psr project , March 11, 2014
Nowadays, murderer characters in Korean movie have become common. They each feature unique characters in various movies, making the audience get goose bumps.
Let’s take a look at some of them: (Spoiler Alert!)%EC%9D%B4%EB%AF%BC%EA%B8%B0.jpg
<Monster> Lee Min-Ki, who plays a game with the victim [Goose Bump Rate 70%]

The serial killer ‘Tae-Su’ is a feeble man who longs for the love of the family. He mindlessly commits a murder under a request of his brother, and he even volunteers to do it himself. He tells the victim to run away while he finishes drinking his wine, and recaptures her.
He uses whatever he can get as the weapon – chopsticks, and even pig bones. The ending cannot be disclosed, but once you watch the movie, you will probably feel sorry for him.
<I Saw the Devil> Choi Min-Sik, such a ruthless character [Goose Bump Rate 100%]

Choi Min-Sik played the most brutal serial killer in the history of Korean movies. ‘Jang Gyeong-Cheol’ ruthlessly kills the victim and damages the corpse.
Moreover, due to the characteristics of the genre, and directing method of the director Kim Ji-Woon, cruel scenes were shown without any censorship. ‘Jang Gyeong-Cheol’ presented goose bumps as well as discomfort.
<The Chaser> Ha Jeong-Woo, scary actor [Goose Bump Rate 100%]
<The Chaser> created a sensation in Korean movies, leading the ‘thriller boom.’ ‘Ji Young-Min’ in the movie only targets women. He lures women into the house he stole with a murder, and kills them and buries them in the front yard.
Especially, ‘Ji Young-Min’ has his unique madness, so his behaviors were unpredictable, creating an unprecedented character. After <The Chaser>, just watching him in the ham commercial was scary enough.
 Written by Han Jihee | getitK

March 13, 2014
LEE MIN KI & KIM GO EUN FOR ELLE
http://couch-kimchi.com/2014/03/13/marchs-leftover-zine-spreads-park-bo-young-kim-ji-won-for-vogue-girl-bae-doo-na-for-instyle-and-lee-min-ki-kim-go-eun-for-elle/
0001_zps81783ef7.jpg~original

March 14, 2014
3 Young Women Show Long-Missing Movie Star Material
Source: The ChosunIlbo
The struggle of Korean filmmakers to find actresses in their 20s who stand out from the bland crowd in the past two or three years seems to be over. Shim Eun-kyung (20), Kim Go-eun (23) and Ko Ah-sung (22) are rising stars with real potential.
"Miss Granny" starring Shim has attracted 8.46 million spectators as of Tuesday this week. "Monster" starring Kim and "Elegant Lies" starring Ko were also released on Thursday. The three impressed with a strong presence carrying their films without a leading man to assist them.
Just two out of the top 20 Korean box office hits last year had a star in her 20s -- "Snowpiercer" which featured Ko and "Cold Eyes" starring Han Hyo-joo. It was the same two years ago, with only "A Werewolf Boy" with Park Bo-young and “Masquerade” featuring Han in the top 20 list.
Instead, the screen was dominated by established actresses in their 30s or 40s such as Han Ga-in, Jeun Ji-hyun, Kim Hye-soo, Moon Jung-hee, and Uhm Jung-hwa.
2014031401737_0.jpg
Clockwise from the top, Shim Eun-kyung, Ko Ah-sung and Kim Go-eun Clockwise from the top, Shim Eun-kyung, Ko Ah-sung and Kim Go-eun
Kim Ho-sung of Realies Pictures said, "The main reason was that young women in their late teens and early 20s all wanted to be in girl bands rather than go into acting. You can take up acting if you have some success in pop music, but girls who do that usually lack the talent for a lead role."
But Shim, Kim and Ko have distinguished themselves with their portfolio. Rather than choosing pretty, vapid parts in romantic comedies or melodrama, they play relative strong characters in thrillers, action films and drama.
They also limit their appearance in commercials. About 10 years ago, top actresses in their 20s like Im Soo-jung, Jun, and Son Ye-jin went into advertising as soon as they had become famous enough on the silver screen and rarely looked back because the money was better.
One film director said, "Actresses in their 20s used to be very cautious so as not to damage their prospects in the advertisement market. They preferred to appear on variety or fashion shows rather than having to work hard making films."
Kim Go-eun said, "I never thought about my image or potential endorsement deals when choosing the next film project. What worries me is what impact my appearance in commercials would have on my roles."

A little on the negative review but still an interestingread on the movie

Review: Tone-deaf MONSTER Exhibits Unusual Cruelty Towards Women
Pierce Conran | twitchFilm
rsz_2014_-_monster_still_1-thumb-630xaut
Ingenue Kim Go-eun gets her first top billing in director Hwang In-ho's uneven and sadistic revenge thriller Monster. Exhibiting the same irreverence towards genre as in his previous film Spellbound (2011) but with none of the panache, Hwang fails to keep things on track with a slow to start narrative, a young star out of her depth and a disturbing streak of misogyny.
Bok-soon operates a small vegetable stand in the countryside. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, she is prone to fits of anger when people rub her the wrong way. She lives with her younger sister who is kidnapped and killed by the cold-blooded Tae-soo, who commits the deed to cover his tracks for another slaying. Setting out to avenge her sister, Bok-soon goes on the hunt for Tae-soo, but he too is trying to find her.
Brutality against women is not hard to find in Korean cinema. Whether as a reflection of Korean society's still patriarchal nature or as fodder in genre material, it's an inevitable element of many Korean films. Director Hwang, lacing his latest with gratuitous violence, falls in the latter camp. Unlike local films that have attempted to out the oft-times despicable treatment of women in Korea, Hwang's film, for its wanton, sustained and unnecessary depiction of violence, seems surprisingly cruel towards the female body. The worst instance comes at the end, in a savage, blood-soaked finale that goes way beyond the pale.
The story is a pretty simple one, pitting a grieving family member against a remorseless killer. Yet, though the film's marketing suggests the narrative is a standoff between the two leads, with the tagline 'Murderer vs. Crazy Girl' (the latter a reductive and unflattering reference to Bok-soon), Monster takes a terribly long time to get started with a set up that is less build up than weary exposition. Much of this early drag is a result of Hwang's heavy-handed mashing of genres and tones. This tactic served him well in Spellbound but here his machinations seem almost schizophrenic. A handful of scenes are very effective, such as a brief attic-set flashback to Tae-soo's horrific childhood or a group of thugs demonstrating which instrument would be best served to dispatch their target, but these are lost within Monster's fragmentary melee of a narrative.
After her breakout performance in Eungyo (2012), young star Kim Go-eun has experienced a swift rise both at home and abroad. In Monster, her second feature, her character and performance share nothing in common with her debut. However, for all the attempts to show off her range and position as an exciting new actress on the Korean scene, Kim's latest turn hits all the wrong marks. She makes a valiant stab at a frustratingly over-caricatured yet threadbare character but her physical and manic performance quickly becomes exhausting.
Lee Min-ki, the affable lead of Spellbound who acquitted himself well in last year's Very Ordinary Couple, is tattooed and shredded as the icy Tae-soo, but his malevolent smiles, good looks and sophisticated gait, accessorized by a fancy, modern home in the countryside and his affinity for wine, add up to a wearily familiar performance. It echoes the many emotionless and cool villains in Korean cinema that tend to be played by young idols. Lee has proven that he can do better, so this dull turn does him no favors in his growth as an actor.
Kim Roi-ha, who you may recognize as the violent detective who injures his leg in Memories of Murder (2003), is given a less affected character and while his down to earth persona was likely designed to contrast with Tae-soo, his solid performance only serves to make the leads look silly. Also impressing in a small comic role is Bae Sung-woo (Way Back Home) as one of Kim's henchman.
With its strong stylistic overtones and willingness to experiment, Hwang's film is more of a disappointment than an outright failure as one can plainly see that he's capable of better, which he will surely deliver again in the future. But the one thing I can't let the film off the hook for is its cruelty towards young woman. The violence is not spurred on by a social agenda and its persistence is disturbing. At first a clunky misfire but ultimately an unpleasant creation, Monster leaves a bitter aftertaste, with little to show for it.
credit twitchfilm.com

Source: The Korea Herald
Monster (Korea)
20140313001449_0.jpg
Opened March 13
Thriller. Directed by Hwang In-ho
Bok-soon (Kim Go-eun), a young woman who lives with her younger sibling, has a developmental disability. She almost becomes psychotic when her sister is murdered by ruthless killer Tae-soo (Lee Min-ki). With uncontrollable anger, madness and limited mental ability, Bok-soon plans revenge against the killer. 

Archived