Guest miguel09

Guest miguel09

Childless-Comfort2.jpg
Title: 무자식 상팔자 / Childless Comfort
Genre: Family
Episodes: 30
Broadcast network: jTBC
Broadcast period: 2012-Oct-27 to 2013-Feb-03
Air time: Saturday & Sunday 20:50Offical website: http://home.jtbc.co.kr/Plan/PlanMean.aspx?prog_id=PR10010127&menu_id=PM10015156

Synopsis

A story about communication and love in a family through quarrels and relationships between parents and children.

Ho Sik (Lee Soon Jae) Married Geum Sil (Seo Woo Rim), who are the Grandpa & Grandma pair at the top of the family tree.

First son (Yoo Dong Geun) married (Kim Hae Sook), and Seo Yeong (Uhm Ji Won) is their daughter.

Second son Hee Myung (Song Seung Hwan) married (Im Ye Jin), and Third son Hee Gyoo (Yoon Da Hoon) married (Kyun Miri).

Seong Gi (Ha Suk Jin) is a dental surgeon and will play a grandson in this family. Dae Gi (Jung Joon) is a bank employee and will paired with (Kim Ji Yoo)

Cast

Lee Soon Jae as Ho Sik
Seo Woo Rim as Geum Sil
Jun Yang Ja as Mother
Yoo Dong Geun as First son
Kim Hae Sook as Yoo Dong Geun’s wife
Song Seung Hwan as Hee Myung
Im Ye Jin as Hee Myung’s wife
Yoon Da Hoon as Hee Gyoo
Kyun Miri as Hee Gyoo’s wife
Uhm Ji Won as So Yeong
Ha Suk Jin as Seong Gi
Lee Do Young as Joon Gi
Jung Joon as Dae Gi
Kim Ji Yoo as Dae Gi’s girl friend
Oh Yoon Ah as Lee Yeong Hyun
Son Na Eun

Must Read!! and follow!!
01.Soompi code of conduct
02.Do not post request for Subs. Do not request for Vids either. Just dled from what the other soompiers provide you.
Do not post requests for any bt seedings of any vids links as Soompi is not responsible for any of them
Do not request of translations of any kind, as translations are done by our fellow soompiers' free will.
Use the online google translator. http://translate.google.com if you want to read the basic translations of any news in korean. 
Anyone who posts these kind of requests, spam or break any of soompi forum rules will be reported to the mods immediately without any warning given.
03.Do not steal any download links from AJA-AJA and paste them out to Soompi or another site.
Go directly to the aja-aja site if you want to dl anything.
Don't post any requests for subs!
Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.
02.The editing fuction of the forum has already been fixed so you can edit your posts instead of repeating postings thinking that you can't.
03.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.
04.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viikii, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.
05.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 
06.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their Id reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. 

====================

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add some more background on the drama, it's directed by Jung Eul Young and written by Kim Soo Hyun. Their previous collaborations include <Thousand Year's Promise>, <Life is Beautiful>, <Mom is Angry>, and <My Man's Woman>. That's why you'll see a lot of actors from their previous dramas, like Kim Hae Sook, Lee Soon Jae, Yoon Da Hoon, and Lee Sang Woo (cameo as the dad of Uhm Ji Won's baby).

Writer Kim Soo Hyun likes to tackle social issues in her dramas (e.g., Alzheimer's in TYP, homosexuality in LIB), and the theme for this drama is "single moms" and the discrimination they face, especially in conservative korean society.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love those rare instances when broadcasting companies' obsession with ratings lead to a good thing: <Childless Good Fortune> is being extended! Seriously, if any drama is going to be extended, it should be a drama by Writer Kim, because that woman can pump out scripts like no other (even <King of Dramas> mentioned her a few times). Drama extensions usually tend to ruin the entire drama, but I'm certain it won't in this case because this drama is so organic that there's so much that can be done with more time.

I love episode 22's unerring insight into parental love (how we ache doubly when our children are suffering), by way of Seo Young's dad. =((

This really is a good drama - love the mama and papa, the 3 brothers, Kim Hae Sook and Uhm Ji Won's strong acting. I'm also tickled by how different Kyun Mi Ri is in this role (bubbly and cheery), compared to her death-glare Choi Sung Geum in Dae Jang Geum!

I can't sit through the youngest son's story, though. Is it me or is Son Na Eun's character a blatant freeloader? Every time I catch glimpses of her interaction with Joon Gi, she's getting him to buy her food. And the acting is flat too, sadly. 

The ratings are soaring & even win the MBC drama Rascals

제1회 2012년 10월 27일 1.683%
제2회 2012년 10월 28일 1.446%
제3회 2012년 11월 3일 2.280%
제4회 2012년 11월 4일 2.830%
제5회 2012년 11월 10일 3.285%
제6회 2012년 11월 11일 3.524%
제7회 2012년 11월 17일 4.044%
제8회 2012년 11월 18일 4.238%
제9회 2012년 11월 24일 4.093%
제10회 2012년 11월 25일 4.777%
제11회 2012년 12월 1일 4.350%
제12회 2012년 12월 2일 5.166%
제13회 2012년 12월 8일 4.677%
제14회 2012년 12월 9일 5.218%
제15회 2012년 12월 15일 4.587%
제16회 2012년 12월 22일 4.281%
제17회 2012년 12월 23일 5.231%
제18회 2012년 12월 29일 5.713%
제19회 2012년 12월 30일 6.674%
제20회 2013년 1월 5일 6.463%
제21회 2013년 1월 6일 6.663%
제22회 2013년 1월 12일 6.76%
제23회 2013년 1월 13일 6.988%

• 1 month later...

Subbed eps. are starting to appear (so far eps. 1-3)-- does anyone know who is doing the subbing? I'd like to be able to thank them. I've heard that this is very good-- that doesn't surprise me since it's a jtbc production.

February 25, 2013
'Childless Comfort' looks like TV game-changer
By Kim Tong-hyung The Korea Times

02-26-14-02.jpg
Yoo Dong-geun, left, and Kim Hae-sook in JTBC’s “Childless Comfort.”  / Korea Times file
Veteran writer Kim Soo-hyun has been the Korean television industry’s golden goose for as long as anyone can remember and she shows no sign of running out of eggs.
Kim’s body of work over the past four decades includes some of the most watched shows in history. But it could be said that her recent drama, "Childless Comfort,’’ is her biggest achievement yet because it has single-handedly elevated a struggling cable television network into becoming a true force in broadcasting.
According to Nielsen Korea, JTBC has been consistently getting 10 percent-plus viewer ratings on Childless Comfort ― a family drama that revolves around an elderly couple, their three-sons and wives, and the grandchildren.
The latest episode on Sunday earned a rating of 10.71 percent, truly an impressive number for pay-television standards because cable channels rarely manage to touch 1 percent on most of their programs, whether they be dramas, sketch comedies, talk shows, documentaries and news.
More than 38 percent of cable television viewers who tuned in between 8:50 p.m. and 10 p.m. Sunday watched Childless Comfort, Nielsen said.
Even when compared with national television dramas sharing the same timeslot, Childless Comfort is the show to beat. MBC is managing just around a 6 percent rating for its weekend drama,"Sons,’’ while SBS has also yet to crack 10 percent for "My Love Butterfly Wife.’’
For JTBC, a channel owned by vernacular newspaper JoongAng Ilbo, Childless Comfort is more than just a hit show, but a critical breakthrough as a broadcasting network.
JTBC was one of the four ``comprehensive programming’’ cable channels ― providing original news content atop entertainment, sports and documentaries ― that were granted license after the previous government of Lee Myung-bak lifted the cross-ownership ban on newspapers and television stations. The other three channels are also owned by newspapers ― Chosun Ilbo (TV Chosun), Dong-A Ilbo (Chanel A) and Maeil Business Daily (MBN).
Market watchers, however, claimed there wasn’t much room for all of the new channels to survive, let alone thrive, when the market for advertisers is already stretched thin.
It’s hard to predict which channels are most likely to sizzle or fizzle. SBS, the country’s newest terrestrial channel that went live in 1991, toiled with poor viewership for years and was taken seriously only after its 1995 miniseries, “Hourglass,” became a massive hit.
The fate of the new pay-television channels and the hierarchy between them was always going to depend on which network manages to make a content breakthrough first. And it appears that JTBC is experiencing its own Hourglass-like breakthrough with Childless Comfort.
While market insiders say that JTBC overpaid for Kim Soo-hyun’s services, the 70-year-old writer has been worth every penny. At this point, Kim’s success in television dramas has become as predictable as the sun coming up.
Kim’s stories are mostly about Korean family life ― how traditional values conflict with the new and how women struggle to adjust to or resist the cultural suppression at home and work. And viewers just can’t get enough of her tales, although critics are beginning to say that her recent works have been mere parodies of her old ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahem. Watched the 11 subbed eps and I am a bit in a muddle here.  I find myself laughing hard at some approaches, while some others leave me baffled.  I see they are taking an active stance on single mothers 'a là Korean' hopefully showing that the society is changing their Confusian take on it; though I suppose they have just started travelling that road and it is going to be one long one.
The patriarch of the family kind of drives me bonkers, though his family revere the man and his word is law, even though on more ocasions than not the man and his speech is rather cumbersome.  That is hilarious from my point of view given his 3 children are of retiring age and still behave like truant teens.  Sadly so far the stories that draw my interest take second place, not getting enough lime light for my liking.  Still, I shall keep on watchking to see how it evolves, but so far my feelings resemble those of the grandma who clearly shows her discomfort every time her husband opens his mouth.

Archived