[Movie 2013] Cold Eyes/ Stakeout/ The Watchers 감시자들

adeleyam

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hong Kong actor Simon Yam updated his weibo with this photo which was during the Cold Eyes VIP premiere. :) (just a note, he actually cameo-ed in this movie as a 'target of the surveillance team')
683f11bajw1e6bun28cfcj20hs0qo78c.jpg~oriCr: Simon yam's weibo

class="post-title" style="border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "Han Hyo Joo Promises A Gift For Viewers Of ‘Cold Eyes’By Joanne+ | dramafever

Han Hyo Joo

Last Tuesday, Han Hyo Joo made a promised, via a live stream interview, that if her new film “exceeds five million viewers,” she’ll provide “a gift.”

She elaborated, “I will present the t-shirt I wore on SBS Good Sunday – Running Man, with my name tag on it.”

Cold Eyes follows police officers as they attempt to track down a hidden, traceless crime organization. It stars Han Hyo Joo, as well as Sul Kyung Gu, Jung Woo Sung, and Lee Joon Ho, and will be coming to theaters July 3. Check out the trailer below!

Review of Cold Eyes. May contain some spoilers. :D

Cold Eyes, and the art of casting 
By Darcy Paquet | Daum Magazine
Quite often our first impression of a film, before we watch it or know anything about the story, is of the cast. We see 2-4 names on a film poster, or in the title of a news article, and we form an initial impression. Some names, or combinations of names, fill us with anticipation, while others do not. 

At its most basic level, casting is the process of choosing which names will go on the poster. But good casting is a more complex art than it first appears to be. Both from an artistic point of view, and from a commercial point of view, effective casting is not just about convincing popular actors to appear in your film. It requires creativity, and a willingness to go against commonly accepted opinion.

The new crime procedural Cold Eyes 감시자들 is a good example of effective casting. By this I don’t mean that the names on the poster are the only reason behind the film’s commercial success. I mean that the images that these actors project in the film make for an interesting contrast with their previously established star images. In other words, Cold Eyes brings out something new in the stars. 

Up until now, Seol Gyeong-gu has been a leading actor in 24 films, Jung Woo-sung has been the lead in 19, and Han Hyo-joo has been the lead in 7 films. Moviegoers have become quite familiar with seeing them up on the big screen, not to mention in television and advertisements. Then why is it that their appearance in this film feels so fresh? 

Seol Gyung-gu is an actor who is known for his intensity. There is a fierce quality to his expression that has helped bring life to characters like the psychologically disturbed Yong-ho in Peppermint Candy, and the likable but flawed everyman Man-shik in Haeundae. But one also senses an emotional coldness in his acting, even in romantic roles like I Wish I Had a Wife and Lost in Love. This brings an interesting complexity to his characters. The role of Chief Hwang in Cold Eyes has a different quality. On the outside, he is highly professional and calculating, but in his interactions with Han Hyo-joo’s character an inner warmth and sympathy is revealed. Ultimately, this warmth is the heart of his character, which is why it’s so much more interesting to have a ‘cold’ actor like Seol Gyeong-gu play this role. 

As for Jung Woo-sung, this is an actor who throughout his career has been cast in ‘good’ roles. This is not simply because he is good looking, but because he exudes warmth in his performances. It was no surprise to see him cast as ‘The Good’ in Kim Jee-woon’s The Good, the Bad, the Weird, and he was also well suited to play the caring and supportive partner in A Moment to Remember. But the character of James in Cold Eyes has ice in his heart. There is not a hint of warmth about him, and never once does Jung Woo-sung flash the smile which made him into a star. In the end, his acting skills proved to be up to the challenge of playing a very different sort of character, and the role has given new depth to his star image. 

Good casting, of course, is also about the combination of different actors in a film. In this case, it makes for a nice symmetry to have a ‘cold’ actor playing a warm character, and a ‘warm’ actor playing a cold character. And then there is Han Hyo-joo, who in some ways is the most interesting casting choice of all. 

It’s not that it was a big surprise to see her take on the role of a police detective. Less than a year ago, she played another highly trained professional (a paramedic) in Love 911. Nonetheless, there is a world of difference between the characters she played in those two films. Han Hyo-joo has almost always been cast in romantic roles, and the primary focus of those roles has been her charm and engaging personality. In Always, and also in Love 911, her characters ultimately pursue happiness and fulfillment through romantic relationships. 

But in Cold Eyes there is never even a hint of romance, even with 2PM’s Junho. Her character’s strengths are her abilities: her concentration, her phenomenal memory, her ability to remain calm under pressure, and also her fighting skills. Furthermore, her character’s personality is not projected outward, as in her previous films. Instead, she is slightly reserved and self-contained. The ironic thing is that she ends up being much more charming playing this kind of reserved personality, than she does in films where the screenplay is designed to make her as charming as possible. (This is one of the timeless truths about star power: stars are much more attractive when they are not trying to be attractive) 

At 119 minutes Cold Eyes is not short, but it kept me fascinated all the way to the end credits. This was partly because of the well structured plot (based on the Hong Kong film Eye In the Sky) and the overall quality of the direction, but it was mostly because the characters were so engaging. After watching the film, it may seem like the casting choices would be obvious. But when it was at the screenplay stage, the choices wouldn’t have been so clear. Fortunately, the filmmakers exhibited some creativity in casting, and the result is a very entertaining film. 

SBStvjobs actually uploaded a Cold Eyes-like trailer for Running Man episode 151 when Jung Woo Sung, Han Hyo Joo and Junho guested in the show.Interesting combination and it looked awesome! Kudos to them!  =D>

class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font: 16pt; vertical-align: baseline; text-shadow: none; font-weight: 400; visibility: visible; width: 600px; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: ellipsis; "Jung Woo Sung Pours on the Charm (and Sweat) in “L’Officiel Hommes” PhotoshootBy girlonthemoon | soompi

“Cold Eyes” star Jung Woo Sung appears in a photo shoot and interview for the July issue of men’s style magazine “L’Officiel Hommes.”  The photo shoot features a summer theme with Jung Woo Sung pouring on the charm and sweat.  In one of the photographs, Jung Woo Sung levels a smouldering gaze at the cameras while chomping down a delectable piece of watermelon.  In another, Jung Woo Sung shows off a sunny smile while still holding onto his watermelon.  The photo shoot made the most of Jung Woo Sung’s floppy-haired good looks and soulful eyes. 

The movie “Cold Eyes” (or “The Watchers” or“Surveillance”) was released on July 3, 2013 and topped Korean box office sales with over 2 million tickets sold in the first week.  The movie is a remake of the Hong Kong movie “Eye in the Sky,” and stars Sol Kyung Gu, Jung Woo Sung, and Han Hyo Joo.  Jung Woo Sung plays the role of James, leader of an international crime group, and Sol Kyung Gu plays the role of chief detective Hwang Won Jin who tries to track down James.  Han Hyo Joo rounds out the cast by playing the role of Ha Yoon Ju who is a detective newly assigned to the surveillance team headed by Hwang Won Jin.  

Check out photographs of the handsome movie star in the gallery! 

jungwoosung_7.2013.jpgjungwoosung-2_7.2013.jpgjungwoosung-3_7.2013.jpgjungwoosung-4_7.2013.jpgjungwoosung-5_7.2013.jpg

class="title" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; padding: 0px 0px 25px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(231, 231, 231); outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; width: 500px; position: relative; "‘Cold Eyes’ Han Hyo Joo “Do You Know How Difficult Aperture Acting Is?”By The Real CZ | The Hallyu InterviewSource: TVReport

HjIpWuq.jpg

Han Hyo Joo, who shines on screen, possesses no unnecessities and is pure. It is not due to her milky-white skin. Whether it’s due to her pure acting up until now, there is no burden on her.

In the criminal action film ‘Cold Eyes’, Han Hyo Joo is still the same. Though she threw away the elegance of her womanly beauty, she was didn’t reinvent or package herself in an obstinate manner. On the contrary, 100 percent of herself came out. That is why Han Hyo Joo has the intention of comfortably coming out towards the viewers this time. From the time she was called using her character’s name, her friendliness was felt.

Upon hearing her codename, it can confuse people, arousing them to suspect that this movie is a comedy movie. It was just like an animal farm with codenames like Flower Pig, Camel, Squirrel, Venomous Snake, Mole, etc. Han Hyo Joo, whose codename was Flower Pig, even made an ‘oink’ sound in the movie. Despite that, it’s a trap to think that this movie will only make you laugh, but it’s actually a loveable movie. The rumor is that the reference for these codenames comes from each person’s appearance.

Han Hyo Joo actually really likes the nickname of Flower Pig. Although the reason is simple, at the very least, she likes it better than what Jung Woo Sung calls her, ‘Hyo Joo Goon*’ since she likes to hear the word ‘flower’ in the nickname. (*군 Goon is a title given to males.) She laughed off the question of ‘Isn’t Flower Deer better?’ As expected, Flower Deer is a better fit than Flower Pig.

Although it was her first time being ‘Flower Pig’, it was also the first time she experienced being a cop. Han Hyo Joo prepared a lot in order to perfectly transform into Ha Yoon Joo. Hyo Joo met with inspector Park Mi Oak, known as the legendary woman of the violent crime force. Hyo Joo heard the joys and sorrows of the police officers, and while short, she did indirectly experience their line of work.

“In the beginning, I was mistaken in thinking that our roles solely did surveillance. I even wondered if I had to listen to what the serious crime squad had to say. However, I listened to the stories of one of the people at the top of their division and found out that it was definitely different. Someone who has mastered their field has a distinct force. The inspector told me ‘If you get tired, you lose; if you endure it, you win’. Those words are absolutely correct. Those are the words that touched me the most. That’s why those lines by Seol Kyung Ku were used in the movie.”

After meeting inspector Park Mi Oak, the image that Han Hyo Joo had of female police officers was shattered. Han Hyo Joo hated how female police officers were imagined to be just as much as her character Ha Yoon Joo. Han Hyo Joo questioned the notion of female police officers having to be easy-going and boyish, and having to act like a tomboy around their male superiors.

“First of all, it would have been nice if Ha Yoon Joo was womanly. I attempted this and that while researching my character with the director. I wore a long-haired wig, attempting to show off the beauty of a woman. In the end, I went with a bob-cut, though visually, I was still womanly. If you look closely, before Ha Yoon Joo commits herself to the strategy, she is professional, but normally she is careless, plus there are times when she has her cute side. She even attempts to do aegyo, in which she is bad at, by saying ‘I’ll be back~’. It was embarrassing. Haha.”

As a result of pretending to be cute though her personality is devoid of aegyo, both her hands and feet shriveled up. Hyo Joo was asked “Was aegyo the most difficult thing during filming?” but she fired back with an unexpected answer, “Aperture acting was more difficult than aegyo.” Rather than it being the pupil (of the eye) acting, “aperture acting”, it was eye expression acting, which is a grade higher.

“There were many scenes where there were close ups of my face in scenes where I recalled scenes from the past. Without any lines, I had to express Ha Yoon Joo recalling her memories only through my face. My eyes were particularly important, and I was opening and closing the iris of my pupils. Do you know how difficult ‘aperture acting’ is? Controlling one’s iris isn’t easy. It would be great if the viewers paid extra attention to my ‘aperture acting’. It’s one of the acting techniques I worked hard at. Haha.”

o3L7ZoL.jpg

another review by Word from the ROK. May contain some spoilers. :) class="postitle" style="font-family: ff-market-web-1, ff-market-web-2, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: 400; text-transform: uppercase; line-height: 19px;"COLD EYES (감시자들) FILM REVIEWBy chocoshrek | Word from the ROK
han-hyo-joo.jpg?w=620Left to Right: JUNG Woo-sung and Han Hyo-joo in COLD EYES

Cold Eyes (감시자들) is a South Korean remake of the 2007 Honk Kong Film Eye in The Sky. To be more precise, I should say, that it’s a slick remake. The movie really is a slick piece of film making, with great camera angles, movements and well executed editing. Much of the look of the film can be attributed to the two directors, JO Ui-seok 조의석 who directed Make It Big 일단 뛰어 and The World of Silence 조용한 세상, and KIM Byeong-seo (in his first outing in the directors seat) who was the director of photography for The Aggresives 태풍태양 and A Good Rain Knows 호우시절. If you’ve seen those films, no matter what you thought of them over all, you know they reflect the same attributes previously mentioned.

The film tells the story of a Korean Police Force surveillance team, hunting a criminal organization and it’s cold, calculating and deadly mastermind who leads a gang of roughneck thieves. In the film, the mastermind is never referred to by name but is credited at the end of the film as James (JUNG Woo-sung).

The film starts quickly, introducing the audience via a subway ride to detective HA Yoon-Joo who’s being tested on her ability to observe and memorize by her soon to be mentor, and surveillance team leader, detective Hwang. At the very same time we meet James, who’s crime organization is about to carry out a robbery under his calculated gaze and instructions. And so begins the game of cat and mouse. It’s a great opening sequence to the film, introducing all the important roles and sets the tone for the film, with detective Ha observing everything and tracking people. A key part of the story throughout is the use of CCTV. This is well established in the opening and signifies ‘thought’ behind the making of the film.

When I said the movie was slick, I mean it in the way that one would describe a ‘look’. Eye in The Sky had a roughness to it, which added to the grittiness of the story. This is kind of important when you have a cold hearted killer as your antagonist.  Cold Eyes however taps more into technology than the original ever did (though not to the extent of the world of Mission Impossible films) and with this slicker technology comes a whole new wardrobe for the cast members of Cold Eyes. I’ve never seen cops dressed so well and the same can be said of opposing characters. Outside of JUNG Woo-sung’s character, I never knew criminals had such bad dress sense or looked so damn dirty. Part of what made Eye In The Sky believable was its rougher edge. In fact I’ve never seen Seoul look so good. I know what you’re thinking, “Many films do it!”. This is true, but for me, when it’s over done, you end up taking a good chuck of believability in a film, especially when everything is too beautiful or people are too dirty. In your mind you know, the dirts “too perfect”. It affects your senses and if it doesn’t match the grit or the grime of a crime story, whats the point?

The film has a star studded cast including SOL Kyung-gu 설경구, JUNG Woo-sung 정우성, HAN Hyo-joo 한효주, LEE Joon-ho 이준호 (of 2PM), KIM Byung-ok 김병옥 and JIN Gyeong 진경. There’s also a cameo from Simon Yam who starred in 2012′s hit film The Thieves 도둑들. There are solid performances by all but I really enjoyed watching JUNG Woo-sung playing a bad guy. Being cold and heartless seems simple but there are moments where his character shows signs of cracking and its there you get to see his acting ability shine.

It’s an entertaining ride but where the film falls short is where the characters are exactly how you predict them to be. Sequences happen as you expect and much like its predecessor (Eye In The Sky) it’s far too contrived. In saying that, there are still just enough surprises and spectacular visuals to keep you entertained.

3 out of 5 ROKs 

class="tit_detail" style="text-align: -webkit-auto; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px !important; margin-left: 0px; padding: 17px 0px 13px; border-style: none none solid; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-color: rgb(73, 79, 95); outline: 0px; vertical-align: top; width: 600px; font-weight: normal; "‘Cold Eyes’ shows the movie behind scenes..”Great team play”
By pyn9167 | kofan

20130712000719_0_59_20130712145904.jpg

Movie ‘Cold Eyes’ showed their team play site by presenting the behind scenes.

In July 12th, the photos of ‘Cold Eyes’ included Seol Kyung Goo, Jeong Woo Seong, Han Hyo Joo, and Lee Jun Ho. They displayed different personalities other than their movie characters, which caught people’s eyes.

Firstly, Han Hyo Joo and Seol Kyung Goo in reality showed friendly atmosphere even though the movie showed some mere conflicts of the two.

Also, rather than the serious realtionship of police Han Hyo Joo and criminal Jeong Woo Seong, they always joked with each other. This showed the strong connection, and the cooperation between the actors.

Rookie 2PM Lee Jun Ho sometimes was very delightful but other times was very serious with the movie which made the people in movie site feel his enthousiasm.

Meanwhile, ‘Cold Eyes’ is having successful run as they are continuing their box office hit even though the Hollywood Blockbuster movie was released.

class="entry-title" style="text-align: -webkit-auto; margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "“Pacific Rim” Debuts Atop Box OfficeBy Kang Jung Yeon | TENASIA
Pacific Rim

Official poster of Hollywood’s SF blockbuster film “Pacific Rim” released on July 11, 2013 [Warner Brothers Korea]

Hollywood’s SF blockbuster “Pacific Rim” has debuted atop Korea’s box office.

The Guillermo del Toro story of monsters versus robots drew in about 1.2 million moviegoers during the weekend of July 12 to 14, the Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS) showed on Monday.

The film is set in the 2020s, when Earth is under attack by alien monsters Kaiju that have emerged from a portal on the ocean floor. The story centers on the combat between the monsters and a gigantic humanoid mecha controlled by two pilots.

Due to the popularity of “Pacific Rim,” “Cold Eyes,” starring ctor Jung Woo-sung, actress Han Hyo-joo, actor Seol Kyung-gu, and 2PM’s Junho fell a slot to second place on the chart, staying the No. 1 movie for only a week.

Next on the chart was Hollywood’s zombie blockbuster “World War Z,” Hollywood top actor Brad Pitt’s self-produced feature, which slid down to the third spot on the box office after drawing in some 350,000 moviegoers.

Though “Cold Eyes” and “World War Z” slid down a spot each, Korean horror pic “Killer Toon” locked itself on fourth place with about 110,000 tickets sold, and Johnny Depp ‘s action movie “The Lone Ranger“ rounded off the top five after drawing in 35,000 moviegoers over the weekend.

Other movies much-enjoyed included Kim Soo-hyun’s “Secretly Greatly,” animated film series “The Adventures of Jinbao,” thriller film “Side Effects,” and animated film “The Croods.”

Reporter. Kang Jung Yeon atoz@tenasia.co.krEditor. Jessica Kim

Courtesy of Warner Brothers Korea

class="headline" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; "Korean Box Office: PACIFIC RIM Cashes in on Korea's Robot-philia
By Pierce Conran | twitchfilm
rsz_pacific_rim-thumb-630xauto-40250.jpgBusiness was a healthy 2.62 million admissions (in line with last year) over the frame as two big releases duked it out for the top spot. The local market share was down to 40%, well below last year's 60% but unsurprising given the big new release the past weekend.

TitleRelease DateMarket ShareWeekendTotalScreens
1Pacific Rim (us)13/07/1144.30%1,160,6361,372,7311005
2Cold Eyes13/07/0334.60%1,003,0493,540,435801
3World War Z (us)13/06/2011.60%345,8964,891,909383
4Killer Toon13/06/273.50%107,1731,091,116244
5Lone Ranger (us)13/07/041.20%34,668370,829229
6Secretly Greatly13/06/051.10%34,3196,932,959141
7The Adventures of Jinbao (ch)13/07/040.80%25,19971,029116
8Side Effects (us)13/07/110.70%18,69723,441170
9The Croods (us)13/05/160.30%8,998936,69939
10The Master (us)13/07/110.20%6,5619,28238

2013 - Cold Eyes (Poster 2).jpgLeading the frame, though perhaps with a thinner margin than expected, was Guillermo del Toro's robots vs. monsters smash 'em up Pacific Rim. With 1,160,636 admission it fared a good deal better here than it did stateside. Its success does not come as a big surprise as Korea has demonstrated a keen appreciation of all things robot at the box office. Among the most successful films of all time here are Transformers 2 and Iron Man 3, while many other global hits have floundered. Will Korea's robot-philia keep Pacific Rim high on the charts? I imagine it will have some more strong business in store but it is unlikely to repeat at number one.
Cooling only 25% after a stellar debut was the Korea thriller Cold Eyes, starring Sol Kyung-gu, Jung Woo-sung and Han Hyo-joo. Reviews have been strong and clearly the word-of-mouth has kicked in, given it a healthy 1,003,049 admissions during its sophomore frame. Its total currently stands at 3.5 million and 5+ million finish seems assured.
2013 - Killer Toon (Poster 1).jpgBeginning its march out of theaters was the Brad Pitt zombie film World War Z, which drew another 345,896 spectators for a total that is about to eclipse 5 million. A very strong result.
Killer Toon lost half its business in week 3 for 107,173 but is now over the 1 million mark, a significant achievement for a K-horror.
Rounding out the Top 5 was Lone Ranger as it plummeted almost 85% in its second week for 34,668. A disastrous performance.
All eyes will be on the big-budget 3D baseball playing gorilla film Mr. Go this week. It's certainly to claim the top spot, but how far will it go?

Archived