This is fascinating- The amount of enthusiasm for JH's role in MC, and even more fascinating is that it's mostly non-Korean. Follow the thread, it's interesting and gratifying :) 

This also goes with the comments I just noticed on this fan made vid for BW we already know- notice almost all the comments come from non-Korean. This again shows that JH's acting is more suitable for the international audience, than the Korean. Just like was the case in BM...

I thought that maybe it was because the caption here is English, but no- also in this next vid, it's mostly non-Korean

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The second part of the interview JH gave in Japan as the DVD of TMWYS is being released. When JH is talking about his work he is so profound! Everything is well thought of. Another interesting is that he said that he likes action figures and he collects them- I remember seeing a picture that I thought was from his house and indeed there were a lot of action figures along with books. This again makes me think that Lee Gun is the character that the closest to the real JH :) Also, essentially he confirms what we have been suspecting- that he has a lot of control over scenes themselves. Essentially in the first answer especially it's clear he's essentially directing himself. I just wish he had more control over the story itself.

I wonder about him saying that there is no genre he especially wants to do, considering how much he talks about wanting to do another melo... Is he serious about that or is he joking? 

Vol.2-The difficult role that Jang Hyuk challenged in "The Profiler-Tell Me What You Saw" "Comical, action, and chest knuckle are difficult and fun every time."

――In the early part of the drama, Hyun-jae was sitting in a wheelchair and shut up in the hideout. Is there anything difficult when acting?

Jang Hyuk: In a situation where movement was restricted, I paid particular attention to the sense of distance from people. Depending on how I felt when I met, I shortened or separated the sense of distance. There was a place where the light shined on the window side, so I moved the place depending on the atmosphere. Since I shoot different situations in similar places, I expressed the atmosphere and psychological sense of distance in that way. I was mostly in the hideout until the beginning. I shot it all at once in about 3 days using the set, so I played while calculating what the situation was. I had to convey a lot of things with just the lines, so I also paid attention to the lines. It expresses the parts that you want to draw attention to, such as the transmission of important information and the lines that express the psychological part, the scenes that you want to avoid while moving around in a fully automatic wheelchair, and the feelings that you want to approach. Sunglasses have the effect of keeping your eyes away. I took pictures in 3-4 days while calculating these things.

――How did you express Hyunjae in a situation where there was almost no movement?

Jang Hyuk: At first I wasn't used to the speed of all car chairs, so I practiced many times. It's fast, but it's slow, so I rehearsed many times before shooting. At the end, I confront two of my true criminals, but Hyun-jae is psychologically hunting down. And they serve as bait and attract Hyunjae and others. It was a scene with special effects such as thunder. So it was difficult to say the lines and move according to the effect, but I think I was able to shoot well.

――The action scenes that appeared in between were very cool, but please tell us if there is the most difficult action scene.

Jang Hyuk: Rather than an action scene ... Finally, there is a scene with Eum Moon Suk, where he has a wire connected, but it must have been painful because he was forced to press his neck. Moreover, in that state, he had to say a line while being hung by a crane and match his movements. Even if the action itself is simple, it is necessary to consider each other, and he also exhales emotions, so it was difficult to match those parts.

――Personally, do you have any famous scenes that Jang Hyuk thinks?

Jang Hyuk: Rather than a famous scene ... I ran for one scene. At the end, when he caught the criminal and turned around, he said the same thing to Sooyoung, "People see what they want to see, listen to what they want to hear, and see only what they have experienced." I think it had an impact.

――In many dramas, you have performed a wide range of performances, from comical, cool, action, to chest knuckle. Are there any scenes that were difficult or easy to perform?

Jang Hyuk: You can't choose. It's difficult and fun every time. No matter what kind of acting you do, it's the first role you play, so the name, profession, and humanity of the role are different. It's difficult every time because the subtexts such as the people around me and the process of living are different. That's why every time I shoot, I find it rewarding and sometimes I regret it. Even after I finished shooting, the fun of the work and the regret that I should have done it are mixed. It cannot be distinguished by genre. It's difficult and interesting every time.

――Are there any genres you personally like?

Jang Hyuk: I don't have a favorite genre. Rather, it is important for the character to meet people in the story, behave lively, and show their charm and melancholy, when choosing a work. I pray for success every time, but teamwork is indispensable because it is not something that can be done alone, but something that is created in cooperation.

――I think you've played various roles in various works, but are there any genres or roles that you would like to challenge in your future works?

Jang Hyuk: There are many. I don't know what kind of work I will encounter in the future, but it is important to leave an impression of the role. Whether it's a similar role or a different role ... For example, I like figures and I also like collecting them, so I think this. "Can you make a character you want to collect?" After finishing the work, I want to make a work that seems to have created an interesting character. It's ideal, but ...

――Finally, do you have a message for your fans?

Jang Hyuk: "The Profiler" is now on DVD in Japan. Since it is a suspense thriller, you can infer the criminal from the clues and enjoy the process of the investigator searching for the criminal. The actors, the director and the staff have come together to shoot, so I hope it will be a special work for everyone. I pray for your health and happiness.

https://news.kstyle.com/article.ksn?articleNo=2167458

• Thanks 2

Another interesting comment, this time from CTH- apparently he had a panic attack while working in US, and he hasn't been to the US until he did a show for KBS! It's interesting that JH had a similar experience during the filming of Dance of the dragon. So similar I'm wondering if the translation is wrong, and it was JH that was actually speaking...

I have seen in other shows, how the mere prospect of having to speak English makes Koreans start to panic! I really think S. Korea needs to change the way they teach English. It clearly doesn't prepare Koreans for English speaking, but traumatizes them, instead!

'Bang Bang Cook' Cha Tae-Hyun "Appeared in'Where's There', to overcome trauma" [TV Capture]

Cha Tae-hyun of'National Defense Cook Cook' confessed to panic disorder.

In the MBN entertainment program'National Defense Cook' (hereinafter referred to as'Bang Bang Cook'), broadcast on the 8th, actor Cha Tae-hyun, who confesses to a difficult time, was depicted.

On this day, Jang Hyeok asked Cha Tae-hyun, "when was the most difficult time while acting," and Cha Tae-hyun said, "Regardless of acting, when my heart was hard, it was when I went to the US. At that time, I first had a panic disorder and fell down 30 minutes before the broadcast, so I couldn't go up." Said.

"Since then, I haven't been able to go to the United States even now. I have a trauma," he said. "I went to the desert in'Where is there??' in 2018. That was also trying to overcome the long flight."

Cha Tae-hyun added, "If it's too hard, it's good to take medicine and have counseling, but I'm the one who has to win, so I keep knocking. I know it's too hard, but I bump into it. Even if it's not completely overcome, I'm less scared than before."

• Like 2

I'm really curious about what is being said in this clip from today's episode- first, it looks like JH didn't even remember in which show he and LSY acted together, and then, when LSY told it was Midas, JH apologized to him? :) I wonder why- for not remembering or maybe for Midas itself? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/COnEo26DatX/

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@Biology Lesson Interesting! Finally some new into for us to chew/analyze overthink about :P Im BORED so Ill take whatever

Re English, I think obviously some individuals have a pre disposition to learn languages better than others but Im guessing english might be difficult to koreans such as koreans is difficult to us, however, maybe if the person learns english  or any foreign language from a young age it would be much easier. My friend Gumi speaks perfect korean, english, some japanese and chinese and she was learning spanish. Her pronunciation in spanish is nearly perfect! Clearly she has a talent for languages while others don’t. We teach each other korean and spanish but Im in my A,B.Cs in korean and she already can put together sentences in spanish (I suppose her english knowledge helps, since at least spanish and english uses the same alphabet. While in order to learn korean, we need to learn that too). I’ve also read that once you speak a second language, a third comes easier and so forth. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Interesting! Finally some new into for us to chew/analyze overthink about :P Im BORED so Ill take whatever

I'm bored too :)  but it looks like today's episode was especially interesting as JH spoke a lot about the past... I wish we had subtitles, but I'm so thankful for @azureblue7, jane and others online of take the time to translate various clips... 

Re English, I think obviously some individuals have a pre disposition to learn languages better than others but Im guessing english might be difficult to koreans such as koreans is difficult to us, however, maybe if the person learns english  or any foreign language from a young age it would be much easier. My friend Gumi speaks perfect korean, english, some japanese and chinese and she was learning spanish. Her pronunciation in spanish is nearly perfect! Clearly she has a talent for languages while others don’t. We teach each other korean and spanish but Im in my A,B.Cs in korean and she already can put together sentences in spanish (I suppose her english knowledge helps, since at least spanish and english uses the same alphabet. While in order to learn korean, we need to learn that too). I’ve also read that once you speak a second language, a third comes easier and so forth. 

Obviously some have a knack for languages, but I think the panic with which some Koreans, including JH, react to the prospect of having to speak English is unique. In my country, even people whose English in not so good, will have no problem to try and speak English when they have to. But Koreans react with panic! I once saw a clip from The return of Superman, and in it two K-POPers encountered two English speaking tourists, who tried to ask a question. Both the K-POPers said nothing, while the tourists managed to get help from someone else. After, the guys said that as soon as the tourists addressed them, they started to sweat, meaning- they panicked! To me that means that the Korean education system, instead of making English approachable, it traumatizes the students! The level that they are expected to achieve is way too high- in this clip you see native-English speakers trying to solve the Korean test in English, and even they had trouble! I respect the Korean's aspiration for excellence- but sometimes, just to be able communicate can be enough :) 

As to JH's, it saddens me that English is such a barrier to him, as it limits him to Korean productions, when clearly he belongs in international ones... 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

34 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson @Prettysup I went to google immediately! The other two actors mentioned seem mature (if I googled correctly). I liked that! Of course I know this is just a rumor but I’m soooo readyyyy for actual news of a new drama! 

Kim NJ was the lead actress in Misty, and also Hyuk’s first drama Model. She has won many top awards, certainly mature and very established.

From the synopsis, it seems to be a remake of the British series with the same name 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unforgotten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will appreciate any genre of drama that he chooses to be part of but I have to admit I'd be happier if it wasn't any crime/police/investigation related this time but since he apparently likes it so much I know I will like it too.

• Like 3

@janghaesoo I doubt he “likes” these procedural shows though? Or at least, how kdrama handles them. I think he was disappointed by the lack of development of both Voice (my theory of why he didn’t join them ever again, plus he said he thought his arch was over) and TMWYS. Procedurals rarely ever focus on the investigator’s character development, they focus on the cases and this is the opposite of what JH seeks as an actor, if I understand what he says in interviews correctly. 

@Prettysup Voice S1 PD is for sure not a favorite of mine urrgghh (although I did enjoy Liar Game way back when) 

• Like 2