[Movie 2012] Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King 광해:왕이된 남자 Masquerade

rubie

August 30, 2012

Korean shortlists possible Oscar submissionsHigh hopes for a Best Foreign Language Film nominationby JANG Sung-ran / KOBIZ
masquerade_oscar2.jpg The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) has announced its shortlist films from which it will choose a submission to the 85th Academy Awards, organized by the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which will take place in February 2013. Submitted from August 13th to 17th, the shortlist submissions include IM Sang-soo’s The Taste of Money, KIM Ki-duk’s Pieta, CHOO Chang-min’s Masquerade, YOON Jong-bin’s Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time and HONG Sang-soo’s In Another Country. KOFIC stated that since there were only five submissions, they will skip the first round of the usual selection process will not take place and that it will move straight onto the second round, where the quality of the films, the predicted success of the film’s North American release, and the international recognition level of the director and the film are all discussed. The "quality" determination has two components, namely, an assessment by experts from the U.S. (40%) and an assessment from their Korean counterparts (60%).
The final sum of the two selection process will be added up for the final scores. The American selection panel will be made up of three people with expert knowledge of the Oscar selection process and Korean cinema and the selection will begin on 1st September for four days. The main part of the selection process in Korea will be based on the regulations set by Korean Film Council and the panel will comprise of 5 people with expert knowledge of Korean cinema who have no direct connection to the submissions. The submission criteria for the Academy Awards Foreign Language Film section states that the films have to have been released in Korea between 1st October 2011 and 30th September 2012 and they have to have at least 7 consecutive days of screening at a commercial theater. The films have to have been screened at least three times a day and charging admission fees. Past Oscar submissions from Korea include Mother (2009), A Barefoot Dream (2010) and The Front Line (2011) but none of them won the Oscar.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 31, 2012

CGV Talk Event with Lee Byung Hun, direct communication with the audience on September 5Source: Nate, thanks to Barbara & LBH-Baidu.com for the gist
120831_hanjy09.jpg
Actor Lee Byung Hun will be appearing in a "talk event" on 5th September, 2012 at 6:30 pm at the CGV complex located in the IFC Mall, Yeouido Financial District in Seoul. He will discuss the whole story behind the movie "Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King". 
At the "talk event" he will be able to interact with the audience in the informal question & answer session. In addition, the CGV complex will show six Lee Byung Hun movies including "JSA: Joint Security Area" to "Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King". 
This is a special event for the newly opened CGV Cinema IFC Mall complex which only commenced business on 31st August, 2012.

September 3, 2012

Gwanghae Media Premiere
Choi hanna ‏@hanna0826영화 <광해, 왕이 된 남자>. 블라인드 시사회이후 드디어 완성본보러 옴. 이렇게 영화개봉기다리기는 정말 오랜만이다. 기자들에게 박수갈채받길 바라며,,,, http://pic.twitter.com/1yND0xFg Finally, 'Gwanghae' press screening after the completed editing. Been waiting for a long time, hope a good response from the media
masquerade_press.jpg

The pics are coming ^^

2012.09.03 'Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King' Media Preview Event
Son suk woo ‏@BH_BOSS광해 언론시사 무대인사중^^ http://pic.twitter.com/bPhmvgSL Gwanghae -- media preview bow
20120903_1.jpg

September 3, 2012
Lee Byung-hun says "I lost my six pack to perfectly portray the king"Reporter : Lee Tae Ho Editor : Monica Suk KStar10
20120903_1346663679_44495500_1.jpg
Actor Lee Byung-hun, who is famous for his skillful acting as well as well-muscled body, said that he chopped off his wavy locks to make himself more look like the king of the Joseon Dynasty. 
Lee’s remark made at a press conference for “Masquerade” held in Seoul on September 3, was enough to show that the actor does not mind sacrificing for the double role as a king and a clown in his first historical movie in his 22-year acting career.
“Before the shooting got started, the director told me that he didn't want the king in the Joseon Dynasty period to have a six-pack. So I lost my six-pack abs to perfectly portray the king. It was easy because what I had to do was just not to exercise and go on a diet,” Lee said with a smile. 
However, the actor said there were some difficulties during the shooting and that is when he had to find the perfect voice that suits the king.
While he later enjoyed using the unique voice tone used in historical films even in his everyday life, Lee explained the hardest thing in his first historical movie was not playing a double role but portraying the maturing process of Ha-sun.
"The attractive character, who is a clown that temporally substitutes the king, becomes more mature just like a real king during the movie. Because the shooting was not taken in a chronological order of the story, it was difficult for me to act out Ha-sun's changing process.” 
Helmed by director Choo chang-min, “Masquerade" revolves around a low-class clown Ha-sun [played by Lee] becoming a misfortunate historic figure, King Gwang-hae of the Joseon Dynasty, who perfectly resembles Ha-sun himself. 
While Lee plays the double role of Gwanghae and Ha-sun, actor Ryu Seung-ryeong and actress Han Hyo-joo each play a loyal courtier and the queen of the Joseon Dynasty.
Lee Byung-hun’s first period-set movie “Masquerade” is slated to open in local theaters on September 20. 
2012090301000193600014791.jpg
201209031818772624_1.jpg
2012090301000194100014821.jpg
2012090401000148600006411.jpg
2012090401000148600006412.jpg
2012090401000148600006413.jpg

September 4, 2012
Han Hyo Joo Knew About Lee Byung Hun's Relationship With Lee Min Jung?BY KOREAPORTAL STAFF WRITER
When asked about Lee Byung Hun and Lee Min Jung's relationship, actor Han Hyo Joo had no comment.
On the 3rd of September, Han Hyo Joo attended the press screening for the movie 'Masquerade.' When asked whether she knew about Lee Byung Hun's relationship, she did not answer.
However, when asked about her working relationship with Lee Byung Hun who is in the same entertainment company as her, she replied, "As an actress, I have a lot to learn from him. His attitude on set is different. I even learn just from seeing his passion. If there is a chance, I would love to work with him again."
When asked, "Your rending love scene with Lee Byung Hun was impressive. How was it?" she replied, "You watched our movie?"      Han Hyo Joo replied, "The love scene only included us holding hands. However, I really like the scene. My heart fluttered a lot while filming the scene. My heart even fluttered while watching the movie and I liked it."
On the other hand, the movie "Masquerade" is planned to premiere on the 19th of September.
image DL VOD from innolife.net

September 4, 2012
When Actor Ryu Seung Ryong Was Compared To Lee Byung Hun, "If Only I Was Born A Year Earlier…"BY KOREAPORTAL STAFF WRITER
When actor Ryu Seung Ryong was acted a question about being compared to actor Lee Byung Hun, who is the same age as he is, he answered very wittily, causing everyone to burst into laughter.
On the 3rd of September, Ryu Seung Ryong attended the press screening of 'Masquerade.' He was asked, "You are the same age as Lee Byung Hun, but when compared to him, what do you think his secrets to staying youthful is?"
Ryu Seung Ryong then sighs heavily and replies, "Oh, if only I was born a year earlier. Fortunately, there are other actors the same age as me, such as Go Chang Seok, who give me comfort," drawing much laughter.
He continued, "Lee Byung Hun takes care of himself very well. He exercises consistently and watches what he eats and that is how he stays looking young."    He went on, "Even when a guy looks at Lee Byung Hun, he is a loveable actor. There are many actors who try to stand out by themselves but Lee Byung Hun shines with others. He is considerate and he is someone to learn from."
On the other hand, 'Masquerade' is planned to premiere on the 19th of September.

September 4, 2012
Lee Byung-hun and Park Chan-wook help ring in CGV Yeouidoby Ji Yong-jin KOBIZ
imageNew multiplex celebrates its opening with "Talk Plus" events CGV Yeouido, which opened in the International Financial Center in Yeouido on the 30th of August, is set to become a new kind of culture-plex. It's the very first multiplex in Yeouidi, holding 1345 seats across nine screens, all equipped with SOUNDX, a 3-D sound system that follows the images on-screen. Lee Eun-seon, head of CGV's Diversity Team, said, "CGV Yoido is a culture-plex that is different from other theaters in that it seeks to be diverse in its programming, has a specialized sound system and a unique design scheme. Our aim is to make the theater a trendy cultural attraction that will become a landmark in Yeouido.  image
The venue will hold a special event called "Talk Plus" to celebrate its opening, where audiences will be able to meet actor Lee Byung-hun and film director Park Chan-wook in person. On the 5th of September at 6:30pm in the Business Theater of CGV Yeouido, Lee will talk about his latest work, Masquerade, after the film's screening. Then on the 12th of September at 7pm, Park and film critic Lee Dong-jin will have a Q&A session following a screening of Thirst. From September 5-16, Park's I'm A Cyborg, But That's O.K, Old Boy, Sympathy For Lady Vengeance and Sympathy For Mr. Vengence will be screened, as will Lee's I Saw The Devil, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, A Bittersweet Life and Joint Security Area /JSA. These will be appear as part of two special showcases highlighting the works of Park and Lee.

September 5, 2012

Lee Byung Hun Modestly Talks about How He Danced for 'Masquerade'CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung  Translation Credit: Erika Kim   
Lee Byung Hun danced his heart out for the film Masquerade.
For the film, Lee Byung Hun became both King Gwanghae and the wandering storyteller Ha Sun. When telling his stories in the streets as Ha Sun, Lee Byung Hun even had to dance out some parts of the stories. It is certainly a rare sight to see, as the actor has taken up many different roles but there weren’t many pieces in which he had to dance.
Lee Byung Hun attended the preview and press roundtable held on September 3 for Masquerade with director Choo Chang Min and the actors Ryu Seung Ryong, Han Hyo Joo and Kim In Kwon, and talked about what happened behind the scenes of the film.
At the roundtable, Lee Byung Hun said about his dance, “I used a double for scenes where I had my back turned away from the camera. I attended classes for traditional dances, but they weren’t easy. My teacher danced for the scenes where I had my back turned.”
imageDirector Choo Chang Min said, however, to Lee Byung Hun’s modesty, “More than 90 percent was acted out by Lee Byung Hun. He worked so hard to learn how to dance.”
Lee Byung Hun finished, “I’ve been in this job for so long, but it’s still hard for me to hide how nervous I am at [previews]. I don’t think I’ve ever said any of my pieces are interesting so people should watch it. This one, however, is really interesting. I hope a lot of people come to see it.”
Masquerade is about how the low-class Ha Sun takes the place of King Gwanghae, who is put under the danger of being poisoned. It is based on the 15 days that are actually missing from King Gwanghae’s historical records. Lee Byung Hun took on the roles of both Gwanghae and Ha Sun. The film will premiere on September 19.
Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

Archived