[Movie 2012] Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King 광해:왕이된 남자 Masquerade

rubie

September 4, 2012

'Gwang Hae' Lee Byung Hun talks about difficulties he hadLim Ju-Hui | STAR N News 
2012090509484579_1_rstarbmn.jpg
Lee Byung-heon commented about acting in a historical movie for the first time.
On September 3rd, media premiere and press conference of movie 'Gwang Hae' took place at CGV Wangsimni branch, and Lee Byung-heon started out his comment by saying, "I was very worried about this movie at first, and it was hard to find the right voice, because it was my first time to cast in a historical movie."
He continued, "But when I started getting hang of it, I found it wickedly addicting," and "I even spoke in the tone during my ordinary lives."
Furthermore, he told that the other hardest part was acting as two different characters. He said, "It was hard to control the emotions."
He also said about his two characters, Gwang Hae and Ha Sun, "While Gwang Hae is like my previous characters in other dramas movies, which is dark and serious, Ha Sun was more similar to my real looks. He's lovely."
On the other hand, movie 'Gwang Hae' is a movie about a slave becoming the fake king for the actual king, who is in the threat of getting assassinated, and it will be released on 19th.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Byunghun-ssi..Masquerade.. Fighting! 
September 6, 2012
Lee Byung Hun to Leave Korea Before Premiere of 'Masquerade'CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung Translation Credit: Erika Kim  
Lee Byung Hun sadly won’t be able to be in Korea for the premiere of Masquerade.
After wrapping up interviews and stage events for the promotion of Masquerade, Lee Byung Hun will be leaving the country around September 10 to shoot his next Hollywood film Red 2.
120904_22_1.jpg
Sources close to Lee Byung Hun said, “As the shoot for Red 2 has been pulled forward, he’ll have to leave the country sometime around September 10.”
The actor is also due to attend the film festival to be held on September 14 in L.A., where Masquerade will be introduced.
Because he won’t be in the country for the film’s premiere on September 19, Lee Byung Hun is putting all his effort into promoting the film in the short time given him. On September 4 he attended interviews with the press, while on the same day he appeared suddenly at a screening of the film and said hello to the audience. Fans were surprised and delighted at his unexpected appearance.
On September 5 Lee Byung Hun even appeared on KBS’ News Line.
A rep for the actor said, “Lee Byung Hun is very attached to Masquerade. He’s trying hard to meet as many fans as possible because he won’t be in the country for the premiere.”
Thanks to Lee Byung Hun’s efforts, anticipation toward Masquerade is mounting. The preview has turned out positive reactions, and with Lee Byung Hun working so hard, the film is becoming even better known among the public.
Masquerade will premiere on September 19.
newking_1.gif
^ Gwanghae gif from naver blog ^^

September 5, 2012
Lee Byung Hun's surprise stage greeting met the audience explosive reactionSource: Nate 1 l 2
Actor Lee Byung Hun made a surprise appearance to greet the audience at the 'Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King' screening last night. His arrival was applauded and cheered by the audience who enjoyed watching the movie. The feedback have been a positive rave for the actor whose new movie is his first attempt at a historical feature..
More photos from New King Facebook
imageimageimageimage

thumbup.gif This is a great and really cool effort by CJ E&M, thanks to the highlight by @New King twitter
Let's watch the live streaming via Youtube as it counts down to ..
The Red Carpet & VIP Premiere for 'Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King'

panda1-1.gif
Plus some RC info, thanks to adeleyam at HHJ thread
Gwanghae red carpet event and VIP premiere will be held together on September 7th (tomorrow!)

Part 1 :
Time : 06.00 pm KST
Attended : Han Hyo Joo, Lee Byung Hun, Ryoo Seung-Ryong and the director Choo Chang-Min.
Event : Outdoor and indoor red carpet for Gwanghae cast and the director

Part 2 (the same place)
Time : 06.40 pm KST
Event : VIP premiere and red carpet for the guest.

source: Hyo's Island

The Korean article at Nate
September 7, 2012
Lee Byung Hun experiences being a king in 'Gwanghae: The Man who became King'By Korea Star Daily | Kpop Fighting 
1346857244_382637.jpg
Passion, giving it your all, and solid acting ability is the basic 3 criteria towards being a successful actor. Actor Lee Byung Hun is one of those who have exactly those 3 criteria.
Lee Byung Hun’s upcoming film ‘Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King’ will be airing from September 20th, and sees him acting 2 roles in his first ever period production, one of that as King Gwanghae and the other as commoner Ha Sun.
Lee Byung Hun often gives off the impression of a modern day manly image, and many have been wondering whether he’s suitable to star in a period production. But with the conclusion of several preview screenings, those doubts have disappeared over time, and are proof of the hard work that he has put in. And because of his steady climb and hard work, he has now broken into Hollywood and become one of the few Korean stars who can command a profit at the box office.
Lee Byung Hun said, “Before filming this film, there were actually other offers for me in the past to act in a period production. But I didn’t have any interest and rejected them. But I found ‘Gwanghae: The Man who became King’ to be really interesting. You can either mark my past films as good or bad, but for ‘Gwanghae: The Man who became King’, I feel that it’s suitable for viewing by the whole family. But I am worried about whether I filmed the comedy scenes in a right way.”
‘Gwanghae: The Man who became King’ represents Lee Byung Hun’s first attempt at a comedy, and he revealed that although he looked mightily at ease during the film, he actually had to put in extra effort during filming, and ensure from time to time that he doesn’t go overboard.
Lee Byung Hun expressed, “There were a lot of impromptu inputs from me during filming. The scene where I used my head to hit the house beam was my idea. There were also many inputs from me for the toilet scene. For example, if the script wrote ‘don’t come over’, I would add a sentence, ‘why should I die’. The scene where I accidentally swallowed water meant for gargling only after I see Eunuch Heo was also added on the spot.
Lee Byung Hun revealed over the course of filming, he often goes into discussions with director, Choo Chang Min. So many scenes not only involve on the spot acting improvements, but also ideas and creativity inputs from Lee Byung Hun. If Choo Chang Min is said to have created ‘Ha Sun’, then ‘Gwanghae’ was created by Lee Byung Hun.
382637-0.jpg
Lee Byung Hun continued, “I had hoped to portray Gwanghae in a different manner. A king no doubt is often portrayed as one who screams at the top of his voice or just giving orders. But I hoped for Gwanghae to appear dispirited, and talks without much energy. I also emphasized on his clothes to be longer than normal, but nevertheless, he still has the aura of a king around him.”
In contrast from ‘Gwanghae’, the image of ‘Ha Sun’ was seen to personally by director Choo Chang Min. But it’s to be said that all the cast members gave their all while portraying their roles. Lee Byung Hun also put in lots of effort in his role as Ha Sun.
He revealed, “It was actually easy for me to act as Ha Sun. My quirky personality is somewhat similar to that of Ha Sun. But because I often play roles that are detached from reality, the public tends to view me as a perfect man. But that’s not the case. I love to joke around, and sometimes rile up people around me with my antics.
Lee Byung Hun has said that he often takes jokes too far with close friends. So is he a close friend with his co-stars, Han Hyo Joo and Ryu Seung Ryong? Lee Byung Hun replied that he hasn’t met Han Hyo Joo for a while now because of her busy schedules, while Ryu Seung Ryong is described as a lover who makes one feel queasy.
Lee Byung Hun expressed, “Ryu Seung Ryong loves to joke with work. There was once when I messed up big time though, mistaking soap as chocolates. I gave production staff chocolates I received for Valentine’s Day. But the chocolates were actually given to me by a close fan that I know, and it was made out of soap. In the end, I had to apologize to everyone I saw.”
As the interview went on, Lee Byung Hun was able to let go of his inhibitions and revealed that he was so curious about the reaction from viewers, that he secretly attended 2 preview screenings, and was particularly sensitive about their opinions.
Lee Byung Hun concluded, “I am not able to be a king, because it’s hard to make decisions without any emotions involved.
But Ha Sun allowed me to experience being a king. The last scene where I had to hold it all in before vomiting over and over again, felt really good. Just like Ha Sun’s ending, it is hard to find a leader that is perfect in reality.”

201297192532z7j5_T5_32584.jpg
j0907-5c.jpg
201297213350rs30_T5_32598.jpg
Here's the list of some of the celebrity guests who attended the Gwanghae VIP Premiere tonight. Though missing some familiar faces, still a big turn-out at the star-studded screening. Will try to add more info on this later..
Click on the names to see the photo of the celebs.. anything amiss, do let me know to edit & correct. Thanks. ^^
Ahn Sung Ki
A Pink
Bae Soo Bin
Go Chang Seok
Ha Jung Woo
Heo Gak
Honey Lee
Jang Dong Gun & Ko So Young
Ji Sung
Jung Woo Sung
Kang Hye Jung
Kim Bum Soo
Kim Soo Mi
Ko Soo
Lee Dong Wook
Dir. Lee Jae Han
Lee Jung Hyun
Lee Min Woo & Kim Dong Wan
Nam Ji Hyun
Oh Kwang Rok
Park Ha Sun
Park Hyo Joo
Park Ji Bin
Park Si Hoo
Ryu Hyun Kyung
Ryu Seung Soo
Sean Richard
Seo In Young
Son Se Bin
Song Seung Hun
Yoo Seung Ho

rubie said:Here's the list of some of the celebrity guests who attended the Gwanghae VIP Premiere tonight. Though missing some familiar faces, still a big turn-out at the star-studded screening. Will try to add more info on this later..
Click on the names to see the photo of the celebs.. anything amiss, do let me know to edit & correct. Thanks. ^^
Ahn Sung Ki
A Pink
Bae Soo Bin
Go Chang Seok
Ha Jung Woo
Heo Gak
Honey Lee
Jang Dong Gun & Ko So Young
Ji Sung
Jung Woo Sung
Kang Hye Jung
Kim Bum Soo
Kim Soo Mi
Ko Soo
Lee Dong Wook
Dir. Lee Jae Han
Lee Jung Hyun
Lee Min Woo & Kim Dong Wan
Nam Ji Hyun
Oh Kwang Rok
Park Ha Sun
Park Hyo Joo
Park Ji Bin
Park Si Hoo
Ryu Hyun Kyung
Ryu Seung Soo
Sean Richard
Seo In Young
Son Se Bin
Song Seung Hun
Yoo Seung Ho

Found some more previous news to share.. LOL
September 3, 2012
'Gwanghae' Lee Byung-Hun "Personally learned how to dance… It wasn't easy"Source: innolife.co.kr
2738_1.jpg
Actor Lee Byung-Hun mentioned of his hard work filming the movie ‘Gwanghe:The Man Who Became the King’ 
Lee Byung-Hun said, “It was harder expressing HaSun eventually gaining dignity from imitating Gwanghe, more than playing a double role.” at Wangsimni CGV Seoul on the 3rd, introducing his new movie. In the film, Lee Byung-Hun took both roles of Gwanghe and Hasun, who turns out to be the double of Gwanghe.
On the same day, director Chu Chang-Min said “While the movie was being prepared, Lee Byung-Hun studied about sound and movement for a long time from a professional teacher.” He also explained that “He acted out more than 90% (of the dance scenes) himself.” And laughing, Lee Byung-Hun added “I did go learn it but it was very hard. The director postponed the scene to the very last but I don’t think he used my scene that much. Most are the scenes my teacher has done.” 
'Gwanghe' is a movie about 8th year of Gwanghaegun in as state of confusion due to power struggle and party strife. Becoming violent everyday terrified and outraged at those attempting his life, Gwanghe directs the chief royal secretary Heo-Gyun to find a double who will be exposed to danger instead of him. This movie draws a story of Ha-Sun, who was of low class by birth, becoming a double of Gwanghe. 
Lee Byung-Hun acted out both Gwanghe and Hasun, Ryu Seung-Ryong acted out Heo-Gyun. Han Hyo-Ju, Kim In-Kwon, Jang Gwang also stars in the movie. This movie is being released on coming 19th.
August 30, 2012
Han Hyo Joo and Lee Byung Hun's Bed Scene is RevealedKpopStarz
30198.jpg
The movie "Gwanghae, a Man Who Became the King" that stars Lee Byung Hun and Han Hyo Joo, just released poster photos. 
This movie is about a man named 'Hasun,' who was a poor citizen but turned his position in to the King in the history of Gwanghae.
In the poster, Lee Byung Hun is showing a charismatic but soft charm at the same time. Han Hyo Joo shows a classy, elegant and strong side of the character.
In the teaser, the bed scene also grabbed attention. Han Hyo Joo is seen in control over Lee Byung Hun on the bed. Han Hyo Joo had also created laughter on the 13th at the movie press conference saying "I had fun shooting the bed scene. Lee Byung Hun made me feel really comfortable."

September 8, 2012
K-stars Attend Masquerade Movie Premiere Starring Lee Byung Hun and Han Hyo Jooby ockoala A Koala's Playground
This is about as high wattage as it gets for movie premieres in South Korea. The upcoming Joseon-era sageuk movie Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King (English title Masquerade) starring Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo, and Ryu Seung Ryong held its star-stubbed movie premiere in Seoul this week which was attended by a veritable who’s who of actors young to old alike. Conspicuously missing from the guest list is Lee Min Jung, the recently confirmed girlfriend of lead actor Lee Byung Hun, which probably is for the best since the media will turn into a frenzy waiting to snap the first official together pictures of the couple as opposed to focusing on the movie. I was captivated by the trailer and found Lee Byung Hun’s first sageuk performance in his long career to be as intense as expected. He plays a dual role in the movie, as King Gwanghae and the commoner brought in to masquerade as him. Think Dave but without the comedy or likely happy ending. Whether this movie turns out to be good or does well at the box office, it’s already off to a rollicking start by collecting star friends by the truckload to attend the glittery premiere.
Thanks to cynkdf for highlighting this at LBH thread ^^ Clip & captures from http://dramaconanpd.net/1019

gwanghaepremmediaconancompilation.jpg

rubie eonni thanks for super awesome update gwanghae..  :-bd

here, long preview gwanghae from KBS.. thanks to sssosweet for upload on youtube.. can't wait to see amazing movie with amazing cast, director, and story..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOM5J_PvMFE&feature=plcp

sorry, if i'm repost :)>-

logo_tsolv12.gif September 10, 2012
Clown saves the dayThe Star
Masquerade_Hasun1.jpg
HALLYU star Lee Byung-hun’s first historical feature Masquerade will be released in his home country and North America this month.
The movie’s distribution company CJ Entertainment said Masquerade will open in domestic theatres on Sept 20, and in selected theatres in North America the following day.
Lee plays a clown, Ha-sun, who has to impersonate King Gwang-hae after the latter is being poisoned. Ha-sun must save the country from chaos.
This film is one of the most highly anticipated historical films of the year, as it is the first of its kind to portray the controversial King Gwang-hae.
Lee, who is famous for his skilful acting as well as his buff body, said that he cut his wavy locks to make himself look more like the king of the Joseon Dynasty.
“Before shooting of the film, the director told me that he didn’t want the king to have a six-pack. So, I lost my six-pack abs to perfectly portray the king. It was easy because what I had to do was just not to exercise and also not be on a diet,” Lee said.
However, the actor said there were some difficulties during the shoot and it was not easy to speak like a royalty.
While Lee plays dual roles, Ryu Seung-ryeong and Han Hyo-joo play a courtier and the queen, respectively. – Reuters

Archived