[Drama 2011] Women In Our House / My Bittersweet Life 우리집 여자들

mekeo117

KBSW Ep 124.....the day fat mom finally sees that EN is a younger, tougher version of herself.

But first at the Lee's home, Jumi makes it clear to a disbelieving fat mom NOT to stop the marriage from happening becos:

1. Jumi is flying to some place where only grass skirts are worn, and coconut shells double up as brassieres.

2. Jumi does say: WHAT I WANT IS FOR THEM TO END UP TOGETHER.....EN'S THE ONE WHOM SEIN NEEDS THE MOST. THEY GO VERY WELL TOGETHER. BECAUSE I LIKED SEIN, I KNOW THAT BETTER THAN ANYONE.

3. Jumi continues: IT WAS BECOS HE HAD EUNNIM THAT SEIN WAS ABLE TO SAVE THE COMPANY THIS TIME AROUND.

Taken together, Jumi's words are actually the writer reminding us thru Jumi how this drama ends tomorrow.

And now for the revelation that shocked even fat mom herself: Our groom-to-be thought it be a great idea to invite fat mommy Inae for lunch together with his future bride but why he chose a cheap restaurant frequented by the town's low lifes beats me.

As expected last minute SEIN couldn't make it due to an urgent lunch meeting of dept heads, so our EN had to go keep her future mom-in-law company at that one-star restaurant (I'm assuming they serve home-style cooking that are still nicer than 5-star establishments).

Fat mom & EN just about started doing psychological battle over their steaming chow when suddenly a kid from a neighboring table comes over and begins to help himself to fat mom's portions. Fat mom scolds him and tells him to go away, who goes to report to his parents and fat mom starts to launch at the kid's mother her motor mouth barrage of "U R IN THE WRONG" when suddenly the dad wearing the working-class type of black leather jackets, gets up and walks over to fat mom.

He starts yelling back at fat mom and hits the plates on their table and that's when EN transforms into INAE version 2. EN speaks back at the brute dad asking him to APOLOGIZE and lectures him on his bad parenting skills. EN even blames him for spoiling the mood of every other customer in that restaurant.

Angered by EN's logic, the brute dad kicks a chair, terrifying the bejesus out of fat mom who could only stare in fear, mouth agape, while EN stands there stone faced giving her best impression of Clint 'Dirty Harry" Eastwood - I'd half expected her to say "Go Ahead Punk, Make My Day" - but the brute dad and his family left in a huff.

Of course in front of EN, fat recovered doubly quick and the female restaurant owner praised EN, asking if EN was fat mom's daughter or daughter-in-law? Hmm...if I didn't know better, the whole commotion could have been set up by our SI but I'm also certain he lacks the DNA to plan such a thing.

And once fat mom reached home and plonked down in her chair, she saw a whole new side of EN and even says: SHE'S VERY SMART & BRAVE.

Speaking of smart, uncle GY is scolded by Sera at the dept store where she's shopping and he's carrying. He's reprimanded for not showing 'more interest' in her choice of clothes whereupon uncle GY says: THIS IS HOW I'M GOING TO DIE. I WON'T LAST TWO MONTHS AT THIS RATE.

And so we turn our attention to Jumi: although we know from the previous episode that she intends to go away somewhere, in this episode Jumi stops short of telling HY & SI her plans of leaving. Jumi even gets permission from SI to leave work early.

Becos of Jumi's strange behavior and cryptic words, it made both HY & EN later begin to think of the worst, maybe suicide, and they independently both rush to Jumi's luxury apartment (actually Jiseoib's spare-room for his babes) but both HY & EN fail to catch Jumi (what else) becos she had just left the apt room and was in fact down at the lobby when Jumi suddenly sees both HY & EN frantically holding hands and looking for her.

And folks, I think this evening's end shot of the 3 women meeting (almost) within the same space as has happened a hundred times before in the past, will be the last one. Brace yourself for the finale tomorrow.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

daunte29 - reading your summaries is like reading Television Without Pity - I truly appreciated each and everyone one of them.

Thank you. :)

Oh, and re: Sera aka Yoo SoYoung - I've just concluded she's the Jennifer Tilly of Korea. Girl can't change her voice, so she's just working with what she's got. Anyhoo, Here's a clip of her cameo in You're Beautiful with After School ... she's ... uh ... mature.

KBSW Ep 124 Supplemental....The reason why Jumi cried eating her mom's cooking back at the kitchen

But first let's talk about older couples having babies...this smells like another social commentary by our scriptwriter and not only is it timely but very necessary to insert that 'small' subplot (pun intended), given Korea's alarmingly low birth rates.

Jinsuk slowly warms up to the idea (were we ever in doubt she'd come around?) because her own son JY declares that he wants a baby sibling too & quickly. Cha Seongju dangling carrot (pun not intended) to his wife is that if the doctor says it is too risky for Jinsuk to get pregnant, then he'll go with that.

Translation: CEO Cha will then have perfect excuse to get hot and scandalous with a younger Korean female in what k-dramas nicely refer to as 'office romance' and what divorce lawyers term as 'adultery'. To each his own.

Speaking of romance, there was a scene where Yongho & Inae finally make peace and chimp face even says: I'M GOING TO BE A REALLY GOOD HUSBAND TO YOU FROM NOW ON, SO CHEER UP.....and to prove his lovey-dovey honey-dripping sincerity, he puts his short arm around the wide span of his wife's shoulders, and just manages to grip her around her mid-shoulders.

To say Inae is a strong sturdy woman is perhaps understating the girth of that woman without using superlatives.

Speaking of strong, in my opinion when Jumi cried in HY's kitchen eating her food, it was becos of two factors:

1. since she knows she's going away, it would be the final time she'd be eating low-cholesterol, low-salt and very tasty home-cooking.

2. her tearful crying also suggests that deep inside her, there remains some remnants of her 'original' love for HY, before EN's appearance in their lives; despite Jumi's strong denials to the contrary, I think Jumi knows HY's love for her hasn't changed even though Jumi tries her darnedest to push HY away.

Consider what Jumi says in between her mouthfuls of home-cooked rice & crispy fried burdock before crying silently:

DON'T BE SO WORRIED ABOUT ME.

DON'T FUSS OVER ME TOO MUCH.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME.

AND DON'T GET ON YOUR KNEES BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE OF ME....now when Jumi says this, she was already starting to hold back her emotions from overflowing,

Even though Jumi knows HY has been doing ALL OF THE ABOVE for the past few weeks, indeed her remarks also reveal Jumi is very much aware that HY still loves her as she has done before the mess started.

HY replies: THAT'S WHAT A MOTHER DOES....Jumi hears this, remains quiet and takes a bite of the delicious crispy fried burdock.

And even as Jumi continues to eat and act like everything's normal, you could see in her eyes and facial expressions, she's just a hair's breadth away from crying, which she does as soon as HY leaves the kitchen to answer a call from Inae.

I've always enjoyed actress Yoon Ah Jung fine controlled acting without going overboard all the time and this scene typifies her craft to the fullest....to emote just enough and yet give the guise of normality in a situation that draws a thin dividing line between the two, and to portray this scene convincingly while ingesting food.

If hate and revenge pushes Jumi away (now more literally than ever becos she's leaving) from HY and her own family, you can already guess what will be most needed to pull her back.

In yesterday's race-to-Jumi's-apt end scene, it was EN (who else) who first got worried and suspicious of Jumi's intentions and methinks as the saying goes, If I Started This Mess, Then I'm the Chosen One To End It.

KBSW Finale....after 100plus episodes, Jumi finally smiles again!!

Jumi's smiles had disappeared around the time when SI told her his heart had been seized by the girl with the silly grin but the finale gave us back her lovely smile.

In my previous post, I predicted that EN would be the one to (again) jolt Jumi's senses by saying something like You Can Run But You Cannot Hide. Indeed in this finale episode she was the last person to speak with Jumi to change her mind from leaving.

So how did EN meet Jumi and why did Jumi literally turned around and returned home for good?

Well, Jiseob (who else) gave a tip to EN that Jumi wasn't actually flying off that night itself so EN reckoned Jumi must be staying at a hotel somewhere near the airport. So the girl with the meaty thighs roped in pretty hair boy and together this 2-member all-weather all-terrain search party searched all the hotels near the airport.

Why is EN so bent on finding Jumi? EN: I CAN'T LET HER GO LIKE THIS. SHE MIGHT BE OKAY WITH LEAVING, BUT WHAT ABOUT MOM & ME? WHAT ABOUT EVERYONE LEFT BEHIND? I HAVE TO FIND HER.

Translation: Since I entered Jumi's life, I've stolen her pretty hair boy, replaced her as Green Love's most valued young female employee, damn well nearly stole HY too, and so with so many victories chalked up, I'm not about to let her run away to another foreign land. Besides since there's not going to be any sequel, I'd better help this drama finish on a positive high note.

Therein we see Jumi's big mistake. She should have given every one a false forwarding address in Brazil or Koreatown LA so that everyone would feel secure into thinking they can track her down but in reality, she could be living somewhere much nearer like Incheon.

Indeed Jumi is seen folding her prized designer clothing and arranging them neatly into her designer suitcase. And just as Jumi's walking down the hotel's ornate stairway, presumably to enjoy her supper at the hotel's sushi bar, in comes EN who against all impossible odds has found Jumi.

You can almost imagine Jumi saying to herself: Isn't there anywhere on this planet where this EN cannot run into me?

EN in her Clint Eastwood impersonation tells Jumi in typical Dirty Harry style: IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TELL YOUR FAMILY & EVERYONE ELSE AROUND YOU B4 YOU GO.

More from EN: IF YOU'RE GOING TO LEAVE LIKE THIS, DON'T EVER COME BACK. I'M GOING TO LIVE AS MOM'S DAUGHTER AND I'LL BE THE DAUGHTER SHE NEVER HAD. DON'T EVER COME BACK.

After dancing her eyes a bit, Jumi: THAT'S WHY I'M LEAVING, SO YOU CAN DO THAT.

EN turns the screws: ARE YOU STILL HOLDING ON TO YOUR STUPID PRIDE?

Jumi half-explodes: WILL YOU PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE?

EN unfazed: I THREW AWAY ALL MY PRIDE THE MINUTE I FOUND OUT YOU WERE MY MOM'S DAUGHTER. MOM IS WAITING FOR YOU. SHE'S WAITING FOR YOU, NOT ME.

EN persists: DON'T YOU GET THAT?

Jumi insists: I'M NOT GOING BACK.

EN: I KNOW I CAN'T FORCE YOU TO STAY....IF YOU LEAVE NOW, I WON'T LOSE MOM TO YOU TWICE.

I think this last statement by EN must again have hit Jumi's raw pride because Jumi previously had always shouted at EN before, that she would never let EN win her mom.

Moments later EN reports to SI to say that she has failed to convince Jumi to stay, in spite of her best efforts. Camera then shows Jumi at the airport and she flips open her air ticket, and still looking like she forgot something from home, proceeds to get up and walk off with her designer suitcase in tow.

REACTION FROM THE HONG FAMILY:

Yunmi is positively absolutely furious: I WON'T THINK OF HER AS MY SISTER ANYMORE....she's mad because the whole family especially HY had been worrying abt Jumi all this while....AND NOW SHE LEAVES SO SHE CAN FEEL BETTER ABOUT HERSELF?

And when Yunmi starts crying, JY moves in and takes Yunmi into his broad arms for a good hug.

Mr Hong tries to stop HY from rushing out of the house to the airport and scan the entire departure halls for Jumi.

Mr Hong: THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO BUT WAIT.

HY refuses to accept the Mr Hong "Wait-&-See" dictum and rushes out into the family living room only to be told by Jin, that her biological daughter has arrived. So instead of chatting in the warm living room, both women goes out into the cold park where HY tells EN:

I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT JUMI. TO ME, SHE WAS LIKE YOU. WHEN SHE WAS OLD ENOUGH TO START SCHOOL, I THOUGHT THAT SOMEWHERE, YOU WOULD BE STARTING SCHOOL, TOO. ....I SAW JUMI, AND SHE MADE ME THINK OF YOU, AND HOW YOU WERE GROWING UP.

Then looking directly at EN, HY says: YOU WEREN'T WITH ME FOR 25 YEARS, AND JUMI WAS THERE FOR ME. SHE TOOK YOUR PLACE. THAT IS WHY SHE IS SO SPECIAL TO ME. EVEN IF SHE MAKES ME SAD, I STILL WANT HER BY MY SIDE.

IF I KNEW SHE WAS GOING TO LEAVE, I'D HAVE STOPPED HER. I REGRET THAT. WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT?

EN; SHE DOESN'T KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT HER. SHE WAS STUPID. SHE THINKS THAT IF SHE LEAVES, I CAN FILL THAT VOID.

SHE DOESN'T KNOW THAT YOU MEAN MORE TO HER THAN I DO.....OR MAYBE SHE ALREADY KNOWS IT.....23 seconds after she says this, Jumi walks up to both of them in her designer jacket, designer handbag and designer suitcase in tow.

In that scene the only words spoken were by HY: JUMI, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

Other than that, the camera in turn shows all three women looking at each other......words were no longer necessary to convey the poignancy of that moment.

So why did Jumi come back? To me, the answer is in EN's last words to Jumi at the hotel, and the writer also used the conversation between HY & EN to hit home the main point that ultimately even though Jumi is not HY's own bloodline, motherly love still conquers all.

Here're my own views:

- The first turnaround for Jumi was when she told the truth against Sangha and saved Green Love from greater losses. That turnaround was the result of a combination of advice poured onto her by Mal Nam, Jiseob, EN & Jin.

Therefore I think the first drastic change in Jumi's mindset also gradually affected her decision to STOP - yes, just stop - stop running away, stop hating EN, stop avoiding HY because of one simple reason: doing those things pains her more than anything and she FINALLY knows there's in fact nothing to gain.

Most of all, as pointed out to us by both HY & EN - the only thing Jumi knows she has never lost and in fact has already regained some episodes ago is HY's continuing love for her. And that's why I think she came back.

As in most typical finales, time is fast-forwarded ONE YEAR and everyone is happy except uncle GY:

- chimp face is off to take his baker's license test.....again, after failing at least twice before....maybe he got inspired after watching the drama Baker Kim Tak Goo

- Seongju & jinsuk are staying in the countryside with old geezer, managing a farm, and S & J are expecting.

- EN now with her new ahjumma hairstyle is still part of the marketing dept and the female rumor puff tells her it's unconfortable working with the wife of the CEO (you know who, right?) but EN says she intends to stay there forever

- A now-very-happy-smiling Jumi is managing Mr Hong's store, helped by her 2 main subordinates, Yunmi & JY, and it seems that Jumi's back on top of her game in her new role.

And why is uncle GY the only one most unhappy?

He's like stuck in one of Stephen King's nightmarish novels or it could be Sera has morphed into korean version of Bride of Chucky which stars Jennifer Tilly, famous also for her grating whiny voice.....ahem....amongst her other famous prominent twin assets.

Becos at every one of his blind dates, Sera keeps showing up and disrupting uncle's chances of finding a mate. Sera is doing this because she accuses uncle GY of 'breaking' their agreement to date for 2 months (GY stopped after only 2 weeks) and so now and presumably for the rest of uncle's life, Sera has become his 'lifetime stalker'.

For the grand end scene, we have SI's birthday celebrations where the Hongs (minus Jumi) gathered at the grannies house....Jumi suddenly appears in front of ahjumma EN even though she originally said she was too busy.....they all take a family portrait and then the last one with HY & her two daughters.

There were no outtakes so here's my Imaginary Outtake: At the airport, Jumi takes a look at her plane ticket and then suddenly realises that in her bemuddled mind, she's packed the wrong clothes for her trip. Her suitcase is filled with thick winter clothing but her destination is Tahiti. That's the REAL reason why Jumi came back home - so that she could go back to her room and fill her designer suitcase with her collection of designer summer clothing and skimpy swimsuits......of course I'm just kidding!

Extending a Big Thank You to all of you who visited this thread & for those of you who read my long posts. Be Safe Everyone.

• 5 months later...
Guest giddybird

I just came to know about this drama and watched online. Am trying to download directly since certain episodes online are not working and most the the downloaded links have been removed by now. Does any know where I can download directly with English hardsubbed?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

If there is someone who would like to download this tv show, you can do it from
http://depositfiles.com/folders/LZHAITTAJ (raw files)
I'll add up the English subtitles too.

Archived