[Drama 2011] Women In Our House / My Bittersweet Life 우리집 여자들

mekeo117

Isn't JuMi Mr Hong's daughter? 

Isn't the reason why he and his brother love and respect her so much is that she, as a single women living in the 1980's, married a widower with a small child -- what a noble thing to do. She then raised the child as if she was her very own. What a selfless and self scarifying thing to do. Thus HY won the affection and adoration from both men for a lifetime.  crazy.gif

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Seriously though, as of now at ep 84, I still don't know how and where Hwa Yeon met baby Jumi and 'adopted' her....the writer hasn't used words like 'orphanage' and so I find it strange that a single woman would be allowed to adopt a baby.

Details are sketchy and I have re-visited the early episodes where Mr Hong tells Hwa Yeon how happy she looked to him when he first met Hwa Yeon who was already WITH baby Jumi - in other words, Hwa Yeon & Jumi were already paired when Mr Hong presumably started dating HY - he was not part of the equation because Jumi came into HY's life first before Mr Hong dropped in.

I'm hoping the writer will reveal these obscured misty details by Nov 4 or maybe she's hoping that little fact escapes everyone's attention because the main mystery is WHY did Hwa Yeon abandon EN 25 years ago soon after her first husband passed away?

Mr. Hong is Jumi's biological father. When his wife died, he left Jumi with his grandmother. Mrs. Hong, JM stepmom, will visit his grandmother and plays with JM. That is how Mr. Hong met his second wife

P.S. Thank goodness for English subs. in KBS World

Guest mflwrs66

[i'm hoping the writer will reveal these obscured misty details by Nov 4 or maybe she's hoping that little fact escapes everyone's attention because the main mystery is WHY did Hwa Yeon abandon EN 25 years ago soon after her first husband passed away?

Your ears must have been burning Dante29 in Today's ep 115, The shaddy guy (I keep forgetting his name lol.) He told

Gma and GGma the truth about HY and why she left, I dont what he said and I wont guess, Whatever it was it was pretty

horriffic .

I don't watch the latest raw eps. I'm at ep 84 on KBSW and I'm totally fine with it.

Guest anomaka

I don't watch the latest raw eps. I'm at ep 84 on KBSW and I'm totally fine with it.

JM was not adopted. Mr Hong is her biological father.

Guest mflwrs66

I can get KBSWORLD but I cant get english subs.

To gerryg, sllemon, anomaka and others who still hold on to their belief that Mr Hong is the biological father of Jumi.

My understanding of the Hong family lineage is this:

Mr Hong is not Jumi's biological father.

Hwa Yeon adopted Jumi on her own before Mr Hong came into her life.

Both YunMi & Hong Gin are therefore not blood siblings of Jumi.

To prove to readers of this thread that there can only be one version of the drama's truth, I will use the KBSW subbed episodes as my reference points.

If after reading the following extracts, and you're still convinced you're right, do share with everyone here your views but back it up with references to specific episodes like what I've done, rather than post comments and remarks that cannot be substantiated, and worse, serve to mis-lead other readers of this thread.

The info within the discourse in each extract are to be read IN RELATION to the other extracts so that each mini extract thereby forms the big picture, of which many of you have been misled and misguided by previous postings.

Ep 20 Mr Hong talking with Hwa Yeon abt Jumi:

AND I'M SORRY YOU HAD TO WORK SO HARD AFTER YOU MARRIED ME. YOUR GOOD YEARS ARE GONE.

Hwa Yeon: I MARRIED YOU & HAD YUNMI AND JIN. THAT'S ENOUGH.

Mr Hong: YOU DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN AT FIRST BECOS OF JUMI. BUT NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, I'M GLAD YOU LISTENED TO ME AND HAD YUNMI & JIN.

Ep 21 Mr Hong talking to Hwa Yeon abt their old family photos:

Mr Hong: I REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME I SAW YOU. YOU WERE SITTING THERE LIKE YOU'D GIVEN UP ON LIFE. YOU WERE A TOTAL STRANGER .....YOU FELL IN LOVE WITH JUMI RIGHT AWAY.

Hwa Yeon: TO BE HONEST I LOVED HER MORE THAN I LOVED YOU AT FIRST.

Mr Hong: THAT MEANS JUMI WAS A REALLY GREAT DAUGHTER TO US. SHE'S THE ONE WHO BROUGHT US TOGETHER.

Hwa Yeon: WHEN I FIRST SAW HER, IT FELT LIKE SHE WAS MY OWN DAUGHTER. SHE WAS LIKE MY OWN. I LOVED HER SMALL HANDS AND FEET AND THOSE RED CHEEKS.

Now if Jumi was Mr Hong's the 'widower with baby girl Jumi', don't you find it odd he's remained quiet about his feelings to his own daughter in all the discourses?

Ep 23 Uncle GyuYeong speaking to Hwa Yeon with Mr Hong right behind him: I UNDERSTAND THAT'S HOW YOU FEEL, BECAUSE SHE'S YOUR DAUGHTER AFTER ALL (looking at Hwa Yeon and not at his brother).

A while later, Hwa Yeon to Mr Hong: YOU CANNOT TELL JUMI THE TRUTH. JUMI IS LIKE A REAL DAUGHTER TO ME. THAT'S HOW I'VE ALWAYS SEEN HER. THAT'S WHY I WAS SO HAPPY. I NEVER NEEDED ANYTHING ELSE. SHE GAVE ME SO MUCH.

Ep 74 Jumi to Hwa Yeon: YOU SAID YOU SAW ME AS YOUR OWN DAUGHTER FROM THE VERY FIRST MOMENT. YOU SAID PEOPLE WERE AMAZED BY HOW GOOD YOU WERE TO ME, WHEN I WASN'T YOUR OWN DAUGHTER.

Finally even as recently as eps 74 & 75, we are told in no uncertain terms that Jumi has no blood relations with the Hong family:

Ep 75 YunMi to EN: JUMI IS NOT MY MUM'S REAL DAUGHTER.

Ep 76 JY to Sera: I HEARD YOU TOLD EN YESTERDAY YOUR SISTER IS NOT YOUR REAL SISTER.

Therefore if Jumi was fathered by Mr Hong, why would Yunmi say the above to EN & JY?

Don't you folks think it's stranger than strange we are never given any scenes between Mr Hong & Jumi (as biological father) even as we're ONLY given scene after scene of Jumi & Hwa Yeon? After all according to you folks here, Hwa Yeon is supposedly her stepmother but Jumi seems awfully close to her stepmum than to her biological dad.

The stepmum Hwa Yeon seems to have described many tender memories she had with Jumi while biological dad hasn't even given a whisper about what he thought of his own baby girl. That just doesn't gel.

The truth is many here have been duped by the writer through Mr Hong. The secret of how Hwa Yeon & Mr Hong met (with baby Jumi already by Hwa Yeon's) side was meant to be exactly that - a secret only Mr Hong & Hwa Yeon knows.

Mr & Mrs Hong have been deceiving even their own kids about Jumi's origins and in that respect, I stand corrected. Jumi never knew she was a replacement daughter for EN and only recently found out Hwa Yeon is NOT her real mother.

It seems to me that more than a few folks in this thread base their understanding of this drama entirely on distorted views of what was actually said (please stop guessing what the characters are saying in Korean if you have no fluency in that language) and self-constructed scenarios of the real events that this drama is portraying (probably they just fast-forward or skip entire episodes altogether).

Folks, this drama is complicated and the plot was and is never as simple as you thought. The main characters like Jumi, Hwa Yeon, YunMi, Mr Hong, EN are multi-faceted and should not be seen in the same light as the cardboard one-dimensional characters like the grannies, SI's parents, Sera & GY & JY and so, to like or hate this drama depends a lot on listening & comprehending what was said.

It's very easy to misunderstand something that was said and that misunderstanding of that single dialogue within a scene can snowball until you end up thinking Jumi is Mr Hong's daughter after 100 plus episodes, when in fact the writer has also given enough hints she isn't.

So this is my last posting in this thread to allow those misguided folks to continue to misguide the rest of you.

I'll still be watching this drama quietly on KBSW but I'll no longer be active in this thread.

SAYONARA!

Guest titiiskandar

Noooo......daunte29, don't do this to me dearie... First,  it's been so fun reading everybody;s head-meets-desk comments and  snarky takes over this crappy drama, and (two) so far only you who'd provide such  amusing, lengthy, precised, twisted and detailed recaps,  (three) actually it's good to have different opinions and healthy arguments between us soompiers, makes this thread really comes to live, actually I'm waiting for a counter argument, and (four) what should I do now after my dawn prayers?  :sweatingbullets:    

(My personal takes: Junmi's improving so much after her last year's equally obsessed with man and wealth character, she's not bulging her eyes too much nowadays, it's slitting now...and yes, based on several conversations in the drama that I'd catched when not giggling or wanting to punch SI's father and mother (EN included) or admiring all the leads satin cheeks, I do think Junmi is Mr Hong's biological daughter.......... and because of your commendation, I've promised myself to purchase Sunny because I don't understand the hype surrounding Sora while watching her acting as Yunmi in this drama, so thank you)

Guest anomaka

To gerryg, sllemon, anomaka and others who still hold on to their belief that Mr Hong is the biological father of Jumi.

My understanding of the Hong family lineage is this:

Mr Hong is not Jumi's biological father.

Hwa Yeon adopted Jumi on her own before Mr Hong came into her life.

Both YunMi & Hong Gin are therefore not blood siblings of Jumi.

daunte29 please rewatch Ep 37. Around 22 minutes into that episode there's a conversation between the 2 grandmothers about Jumi.

The oldest one asked Malnam: Did she have a daughter from her husband?

Malnam: It's her husband's daughter from another marriage.

Ep 44 24th min mark, Mr Hong comes home drunk and on his bed tells his wife: "You've never even had any child of your own, and yet you married a single father like myself".

At the time he didn't know Mrs Hong already had a EN.

Ep 45 17th min. Malnam: "That's why her husband is so good to her. She must have raised his daughter like her own if she didn't notice her mother was not her real mother. Imagine how grateful her husband must be"

Later on, 18th min the oldest lady at EN house talking about Mrs Hong:"She pretended she never had a baby but she raised his daughter so well. And now she gave him 2 children on top of that"

(These are all KBS World translations) Nowhere does it say Mr Hong is not the biological father of JM. Or that Hwa Yeon adopted Jumi on her own before Mr Hong came into her life.

daunte29 please rewatch Ep 37. Around 22 minutes into that episode there's a conversation between the 2 grandmothers about Jumi.

The oldest one asked Malnam: Did she have a daughter from her husband?

Malnam: It's her husband's daughter from another marriage.

Ep 44 24th min mark, Mr Hong comes home drunk and on his bed tells his wife: "You've never even had any child of your own, and yet you married a single father like myself".

At the time he didn't know Mrs Hong already had a EN.

Ep 45 17th min Malnam: "That's why her husband is so good to her. She must have raised his daughter like her own if she didn't notice her mother was not her real mother. Imagine how grateful her husband must be"

Later on, 18th min the oldest lady at EN house talking about Mrs Hong:"She pretended she never had a baby but she raised his daughter so well. And now she gave him 2 children on top of that"

(These are all KBS World translations) Nowhere does it say Mr Hong is not the biological father of JM.

I could go on and on. Someone pointed out that Mr Hong had left JM with his mother (being a single dad and all). I remember that episode but I'm too tired to watch every past episode to find which one it was. That episode explained how Mr and Mrs Hong met through JM who was staying at the time with Mr Hong's mother because his wife had died and he had work.

Indeed nowhere does it confirms Jumi was fathered by Mr Hong and if you refer to my earlier comments above - you'll know why Mal Nam has a different perception, the same perception that you and many others here hold.

Mal Nam thinks Jumi is Mr Hong's child and that's exactly why the writer wants you to believe that.

Pause & consider: don't you find it strange that the two ladies keep repeating that info several episodes apart?

It's not until you realise that Mal Nam & great granny both didn;'t know what exactly happened to Hwa Yeon after she abandoned them with EN. For 26 long years, they had no idea what happened to her. They were even in 'great' shock when they found out Hwa Yeon had actually remarried.

So do you think that the two grannies somehow obtained RELIABLE evidence that Jumi was fathered by Mr Hong or did they just merely put two and two together?

Their perception that Jumi must be the daughter of Hwa Yeon's second husband is the same as what you're trying so hard to convince here. But it's the writer who's actually been giving hints about the true relationship between HY, Mr Hong & Jumi from 26 years ago.

As for the DRUNK Mr Hong using the term single father, in Korean, his choice of words can also mean single man. So you go figure.

I had thought you would use the one and only engagement ceremony between the Hongs & the Lees where Mr Hong stood up and said, ....Jumi is my firstborn...

of course when those same words are taken out of context, you'd take his words at face value but in reality, Mr Hong does consider Jumi HIS daughter...except that the real secret which only he, his brother & Hwa Yeon knows.

Another clue you can and should use is when Hong Gin is diagnosed with that unmentionable disease, did they test Jumi's DNA (according to you and many others, Jumi is Gin's half sister, yes?) and what exactly did the doctor tell Mr & Mrs Hong after the test?

Interesting, eh?

But unlike you anomaka, I don't like to go and on but rather you should think....if Jumi was fathered by Mr Hong, how come he doesn't have any photos of Jumi's biological mum or a wedding picture of him, HY & baby Jumi?

....and like I said, there has been no tender scenes (except one) between Jumi & Mr Hong as father to daughter.

Yet we however have had more than a few scenes of Mr Hong sharing sweet conversations with YunMi & Gin separately in their early days of this drama. But fatherly playful scenes between Jumi & Mr Hong? where?

I was expecting one or more scenes of Mr Hong sharing with Hwa Yeon some of his fatherly moments with baby Jumi in the same way that Hwa Yeon shared with Mr Hong her motherly moments with baby Jumi - Mr Hong hasn't given us any idea of what it was like for him raising Jumi before he met Hwa Yeon.

Although Hwa Yeon never used the word 'adopted' Jumi, based on the extracts in my previous posts, especially the ones between HY & Mr Hong, her discourse seems to suggest Jumi was already part of her life just before she emet and married Mr Hong.

I'll go with this hunch until the drama proves otherwise.

anomaka...indeed you have done well to try to show the evidence to the contrary.

Guest anomaka

Indeed nowhere does it confirms Jumi was fathered by Mr Hong and if you refer to my earlier comments above - you'll know why Mal Nam has a different perception, the same perception that you and many others here hold.

From Mr Hong himself:

Ep 46 17th min. Mr Hong talking to Jumi after she found out Hwa Yeon is not her mother:

"Your real mother passed away a few months after giving birth.

Appa didn't know what to do with a baby like you. I asked your grandmother to babysit so I could work. I went to visit you maybe once a month or so.

But that's when I met your mother. Your grandmother told me she came to see you everyday to play with you. That's how good she was to you.

You were like a real daughter to her from the very beginning. I couldn't understand it at first but she treated you as more than her real daughter".

I'm at Ep 79 with KBS World so I don't know about the DNA thing yet although I did watch the raw version. But I don't understand Korean so I'll see what the Dr said when the translated version comes on.

But I think what Mr Hong to Jumi above explains everything. unless he was lying.

From Mr Hong himself:

Ep 46 17th min. Mr Hong talking to Jumi after she found out Hwa Yeon is not her mother:

"Your real mother passed away a few months after giving birth.

Appa didn't know what to do with a baby like you. I asked your grandmother to babysit so I could work. I went to visit you maybe once a month or so.

But that's when I met your mother. Your grandmother told me she came to see you everyday to play with you. That's how good she was to you.

You were like a real daughter to her from the beginning. I couldn't understand it at first but she treated you as more than her real daughter".

Well done! You will find out later that in this extract, he's telling half the truth to Jumi to sustain the impression that he's her real father. This was the cover-up that Hwa Yeon & Mr Hong agreed - do not let Jumi know about the fact that Hwa Yeon picked up Jumi to be a replacement for EN.

Doesn't this explanation by Mr Hong to Jumi strike you as strangely familiar - granny Kim Mal Nam had told EN her real mother had died and EN was brought up by her granny. Now here Mr Hong is telling Jumi her real mother also died and was brought up by her grandmother?

Don't you think the writer has a hidden motive somewhere? And how come we've not seen Jumi's (YunMi's & Gin's too) grandmother, especially since Jumi is supposedly getting married? Oi, Mr Hong, show me that grandmother whom you say raised Jumi.

After 26 years, Mr Hong suddenly unloads on Jumi (YunMI & Gin too) that she has a grandmother?

In this same ep 46, uncle Gyu Yeong later rants on & on to his brother Mr Hong about Jumi being ungrateful to Hwa Yeon for raising her ALL these years but surprisingly GY never mentions any role by any grandmother.

Also same ep 46, Jumi runs away from home for some R&R and who goes ballistic? HY of course! but observe the cool and nonchalant Mr Hong who couldn't care even if the family dog went AWOL?

And that's why I still think Mr Hong is NOT Jumi's biological dad and he's merely carrying on the pretense for HY's sake.

Guest anomaka

Well done! You will find out later that in this extract, he's telling lies in to Jumi to sustain the impression that he's her real father. This was the cover-up that Hwa Yeon & Mr Hong agreed only recently - do not let Jumi know about the fact that Hwa Yeon picked up Jumi to be a replacement for EN.

What about the DNA theory, eh? Any leads yet?

I'm at only at episode 79 right now with KBS World. I did watch the raw version of the episode with the sick kid though. But I don't understand Korean.

I don't know about the DNA theory but my understanding was that nobody from that family including JM could help the boy. Except EN.

I understand that not only did Hwayeon abandoned her daughter, she also left them homeless. That's why the 2 grandmas hated her so much. But what did she actually do?

According to Kim Mal Nam, Hwa Yeon had taken the family savings, causing them to lose their house and therefore had to live in the streets.

The details as to why HY did what she did 26 years ago has been a mystery but depending on whether you're following this drama on KBS1 (ep 114) or KBSW (ep85), you should be able to find out by the finale episode scheduled for Nov 4.

From the questions raised, I am going to guess that JM and EN are twins born 9 months apart.... (ROFL).. :w00t: It could be the continuity person has forgotten the storyline.... :D .Those of us who called JM names and get virtually ( or online) violent withJM or HY are quite aware that they are not real so we are not hurting anybody, except maybe the feelings of real fans of the actors or the show. As someone said, a little break from reality every day is OK for some of us.

I remember watching dae jang geum and the little actress playing her daughter was the same one sitting next to her in class when dae jang geum was young. In this show, I am sure the guy who was working for SI's father as so called consultant was the same guy in Goong but now looks very different. Probably the Goong guy got a better offer in another show?? :D:D Oh for these fun times with Korean dramas, and even funnier cmments, I was willing to reschedule my gym classes...

Bakane, Ibelis and others, where are all of you hiding?

I understand that not only did Hwayeon abandoned her daughter, she also left them homeless. That's why the 2 grandmas hated her so much. But what did she actually do?

There was a misunderstanding between the 2 grandmas and Hwayeon. If you watched yesterday's episode, EN's dad's best friend came over to her house and told the 2 grandmas what really happened 25 years ago. 25 years ago, it was Jung Soo who had taken the family savings not Hwayeon. Not only did he take their family savings but he lost it all as well.  He thought Hwayeon would have come and told the 2 grandmas that he took their family savings 25 years ago but she did not and she took all the blame. She couldn't come back to EN because she felt ashamed and guilty of what JS did, since he was her husband's best friend. Hope this explains it for you.

Guest titiiskandar

Yes, please someone be kind enough to answer that. Hopefully the ending comes with Se In and Eun Nim in a full wedding glory, with Jay Kim singing a track from his band 'Oh My Goddess' (my teenage daughter was appalled I love the song and the band, she said it's age inappropriate, but as dear maribellla implied above, sometimes we need to escape from harsh life reality), then again, it will be so out of his used to be whiny now stoic character.

Archived