[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

Guest gail0623

Hello everyone!

Here, in my country, we're only at episode 41 and 42 this week. So, it's only the start of Guksang's rebellion. But I've been reading through your posts, and it seems like there are lots of complicated marriages that are going to happen (i.e. Damdeok-Yakyeon/Seolji, Go Un-Damjoo, Asin-Doyeong). Though, I've always liked the chemistry between Damdeok (Lee Tae Gon) and Yakyeon (Lee In Hye), it's still going to be weird seeing him marry his aunt. Hmm, I wonder how all of these will play out.

By the way, does anyone know exactly how many episodes the drama has? Is it 60 or 80? Also, is the OST out already?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest honzbear

This sucks. KBS World America is so far behind. I have already watched the subtitled version of this episode. The raws and subs online are ahead of KBS World America. I guess I will just have to keep watching the raws and add the subs myself.

In this episode, I think the kongju (Damjoo) should be really happy to hear the news about the deal that Damdeok made with Houyan. She's so plain that she should be grateful that anyone would want to marry her, and what's more it's a crown prince who's interested in her.

Sorry, but her face seriously resembles that of a kangaroo.

If Doyeong marries Asin, their children will have really mobile lips. Asin's lips are rubbery and he really works them when he talks. Whenever he appears on screen I can't help fixating on his mouth.

Has anyone noticed Murong Bao's ears? They are tiny and are a funny shape. He looks like a gremlin.

Hello everyone,

I follow this drama on KBS World and it's at ep 41 and so far, all I can say is that 'The Great Conqueror" is nothing but.

True, he's still only Damdeok and not yet achieved the 'greatness' as his historical self but the writers here have given him a bad deal.....ALL the baddies in this drama (& I do mean all of them) have signalled their selfish power-usurping intentions from the start of the drama and yet every few other episodes, our DD (Damdeok) is caught off-guarded, and has to 'rescue' the situation using his 'no-kill' policy, only to allow the reprieved to plot yet again.

The writers may have taken 'great' pains to portray him as compassionate and merciful but he comes across as a pathetic wimp who never learns frm his mis-judgments.

For a 'great' rookie ruler, his learning curve is virtually non-existent....he KNOWS who his enemies are and WHAT they are after and yet, time and time again he sits there relying on his enemies 'good-nature' to prevail over their evil one. If that is what the writers call 'great' then surely DD would win the Nobel Peace Prize hands down.

You can almost imagine him giving his acceptance speech in his 'forced' contrived deep voice and glaring eyes lined with eyeliner, telling everybody Goguryeo is the greatest land ever to exist - and in the meantime all the citizens and animals and trees of Goguryeo are still under threat and open to foreign invasion from left, right and center.

The best fun moments for me is for sure when every time something 'unexpected' happens that threatens the lives of his underlings or his mate or whoever he likes, DD will bark orders loudly in his deep throaty voice and trying to look angry and fierce with extra eyeliner. All his underlings in animal headgear will then show their support and unity and just like in true gangsta fashion, his posse would be seen galloping towards their destination with him leading the pack and you'd never miss DD at the head of the formation because he'd be the one with the brightest and most colorful garb. Only thing missing is the target sign on his chest with the words "SHOOT ME!".

Makes you wonder where ALL the assassins in ancient Korea have migrated to, because even a one-eyed grannie assassin can take him down with a single (or two) arrows. But if you remember, in this drama thus far DD has survived numerous attempts on his life and methinks the various drugs and potions used to heal him may have already garbled his brains.

And why izzit all the BADDIES try to outdo each other & DD himself by purposely and forcefully speaking in deep throaty voices, as if to show who's suffering from the worst case of sore throat? I'll never understand why korean historical dramas are filled with such cliches where all the lead actors in historical costumes and horny headgear by default MUST speak in that manner or else, maybe we viewers might confuse them with the palace eunuchs?

Perhaps that''s why very few, in fact hardly, any pretty boy kpop male idol has ever been cast as a lead in a historical drama because young men with deep throaty voices ARE A MUST - fake beards, mustaches, gorilla eyebrows, chest hair, even deep scars can be applied on but if you don't have a deep voice that sounds like Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones, you're out.

Thank goodness the korean drama producers do not impose similar standards for pretty female kpop idols or prettier actresses to make the crossover to historical dramas....which brings up my question why actress Kim Jung Hwa took part in this project at all as an insignificant character. True, she was about the only 'baddie' character that came to realise they were fighting for the wrong reasons, being manipulated and all, and every time KJH appears, she just lits up the screen with her presence, beauty and charisma. Those sculpted cheekbones and big doe eyes of hers are too good to be playing on the wrong side.

As mentioned, after 41 tedious episodes, we see time and time again DD and his underlings running here, running there, reacting to everything including mosquitoes farting. About the only thing DD has yet to conquer and should conquer first and foremost is his own stupidity. Now wouldn't that be great to see? .

Damdeok and Yakyeon's marriage is impending.  But he has promised to give happiness to Yakyeon, a promise he couldn't fulfil to Doyoung.  Damdeok has declared Yakyeon as the Queen of Goguryeo when the merchants addressed her as one and she replied that she was not a queen yet.

Doyoung, on the other hand, has given her blessing to them.  I wonder why Damdeok has stopped searching for her.  In his heart, Doyoung is still alive somewhere else and he is missing her dearly.  Yet, he has agreed to marry Yakyeon and makes her the queen now. 

Doyoung is searching for her brother whom she thought, might be held among Baekje's prisoners.  As she has no money to bribe the person in charge of the ship or dock, she can't enter the ship in order to look for her brother.  She met Asin when she was dragged away.  Asin didn't seem happy upon seeing her.  I thought he should since he is attracted to her. 

I don't think that Doyoung will reveal herself to Asin, for fear of getting Damdeok into trouble if she is held hostage by Asin.  Instead, I hope that Asin holds her as a prisoner.  I read something about 'Doyoung and the reunion'.  So I hope that Damdeok manages to see her when she and other prisoners are released from the ship.  It's much too long on their separation and for their reunion to materialise.

I also don't think that Doyoung, as a peasant, can sacrifice herself in exchange for the prisoners.  Thus I am wondering how is she going to marry Asin just because they met by chance, again.  Doyoung seems to fear meeting Asin at the dock. 

If Damdeok has not married to Yakyeon, will he still go ahead after his reunion with Doyoung?  I really hope not, please.  

I may be wrong but was Yeon Salta not happy with Damdeok marrying Yakyeon because of Doyoung?  He might be hoping to find Doyoung no matter what, since he was the one who lost her and put her life in danger.

Go Un seems torn to go against Goguryeo but his hatred is getting into his head.  I wish he has found Doyoung earlier.

One thing is confirmed.  Doyoung has indeed lost her baby.

Wonder what is the fate of Doyoung.  We have to see tonight.  I'm hoping for Damdeok and Doyoung's reunion though.  The preview may not show it so as to put us in suspense.  If Doyoung follows Asin instead, then we can say 'bye-bye' to their reunion, once and for all.

Guest farhah1986

Damdeok and Yakyeon's marriage is impending.  But he has promised to give happiness to Yakyeon, a promise he couldn't fulfil to Doyoung.  Damdeok has declared Yakyeon as the Queen of Goguryeo when the merchants addressed her as one and she replied that she was not a queen yet.

Doyoung on the other hand, has given her blessing to them.  I wonder why Damdeok has stopped searching for her.  In his heart, Doyoung is still alive somewhere else and he is missing her dearly.  Yet, he has agreed to marry Yakyeon and makes her the queen now. 

Doyoung is searching for her brother whom she thought, might be held among Baekje's prisoners.  As she has no money to bribe the person in charge of the ship or dock, she can't enter the ship in order to look for her brother.  She met Asin when she was dragged away.  Asin didn't seem happy upon seeing her.  I thought he should since he is attracted to her. 

I don't think that Doyoung will reveal herself to Asin, for fear of getting Damdeok into trouble if she is held hostage by Asin.  Instead, I hope that Asin holds her as a prisoner.  I read something about 'Doyoung and the reunion'.  So I hope that Damdeok manages to see her when she and other prisoners are released from the ship.  It's much too long on their separation and for their reunion to materialise.

I also don't think that Doyoung, as an ordinary citizen, can sacrifice herself in exchange for the prisoners.  Thus I am wondering how is she going to marry Asin just because they met by chance, again.  Doyoung seems to fear meeting Asin at the dock. 

If Damdeok has not married to Yakyeon, will he still go ahead after his reunion with Doyoung?  I really hope not, please. 

I may be wrong but is Yeon Salta not happy with Damdeok marrying Yakyeon because of Doyoung?  He may be hoping to find Doyoung no matter what, since he was the one who lost her and put her life in danger.

Go Un seems torn to go against Goguryeo but his hatred is getting into his head.  I wish he has found Doyoung earlier.

One thing is confirmed.  Doyoung has indeed lost her baby.

Wonder what is the fate of Doyoung.  We have to see tonight.  I'm hoping for Damdeok and Doyoung's reunion though.  The preview may not show it so as to put us in suspense.  If Doyoung follows Asin instead, then we can say 'bye-bye' to their reunion, once and for all.

So Yakyeon and Damdeok not marry yet...So can we say  that we cannot confirm yet what's gonna happen if Damdeok reunite with Doyoung before that? But Damdeok already promise to marry Yakyeon..It will be great if Yeon Salta found her...If Doyoung not gonna reunite with Damdeok I don't think there is a point for her still appear in this drama..For what?After all she lost her baby..Just like you said, if Damdeok has not married yet to Yakyeon and the mean time reunite with Doyoung I hope he won't continue that marriage unless something else happen..Go Chang will be mad if Damdeok break his promise but how could Damdeok marry someone else when his  wife still alive and well in front of him.

Actually what is the reason most minister urge Damdeok to crown a queen?Is it because Doyoung is a daughter's traitor or she's been assume dead?If Damdeok can forgive yeon Salta for his father's crime what's the different with Doyoung?

Guest honzbear

I don't know but I think DY looked surprised more than anything on seeing Asin and Asin was surprised too (not unhappy). I think this is when their relationship starts in earnest. She ends up being taken to Baekje and there she marries Asin as Asin has been kind to her and she has no one else to turn to, not knowing the fate of her brother. (In time she does find out that her brother has become a citizen of Houyan.)

I seriously think this Doyeong character is someone who makes trouble for herself. I mean she didn't have to leave Koguryeo. She didn't have to go to Baekje.

Anyhoo, I think she does marry Asin. Even so I think she will meet with Damdeok again some time in the future though I doubt she will go back to Goguryeo as his queen as she's married to someone else by then.

Won't DD get a shock when the next time he sees her or hears news about her, she's married to a Baekje prince!

The eyeliner was laid on a bit thick when DD was a slave. Still, it didn't look out of place. It gave him a swashbuckling look a la Johnny Depp.

What I don't understand about this drama is why isn't everyone fighting with bows and arrows? Every time they need a "game-over" moment, they bring out the arrows. We saw that in the slave-capture scene with the bandits when Damdeok has a price on his head, the courtyard scene where DD is trapped by the PM, the DY kidnapping scene, DD caught in a net scene, and so on.

When you see a bank of archers all aiming their arrows at you, you know the Game is OVER. You have to give up, lay down your sword or whatever. You cannot fight a bank of archers with mere swords.

So I don't see why they don't just charge into battle with archers in front. The sensible way to wage battle would be with archers and a shield unit. Whoever can penetrate the others' defense wins. Archers vs archers. Arrows shooting all over the place. Swords are only employed towards the end during close combat.

This is the way the Mongols fought - with bow and arrow. These were their weapons of choice. It's not an accident they conquered so many countries back in their day. They learned early on that bows and arrows were game-changers. Bows and arrows were the equivalent of today's guns back then. Using short-range swords against the long-range bows and arrows? It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

The movie "Musa" had it right. Battles were mainly fought with archers in that film. The learning curve in this drama is flat when it comes to the weapons used in battles and fighting techniques. If you want a Game-Changing Moment, you bring out your bank of archers. DD has yet to learn this. Time and time again we see DD and his soldiers go into the battle field wielding only swords.

In real history, it was recorded by the Chinese that the Dong Yi or "Eastern Barbarians" (a subset of proto-Koreans) were known for being expert archers and that their primary weapon was the bow and arrow. 

Guest honzbear

Another slow-moving episode. Just talking which I don't understand. Not that much has happened in this drama. Okay, okay, we know that Houyan and Baekje hate Damdeok. We get it by now.

Poor Damdeok. Everyone is trying to get him.

On KBS World America last night which showed an earlier episode, we saw a possible explanation for Go Un's hostility toward DD. This is about episode 40.

A messenger rides up to him and tells him that the PM has been accused of committing treason by plotting with Houyan in setting up the conspiracy to entrap the Crown Prince and the PM is cornered. He is fighting back by going against the crown ...

So Go Un considers the possibility that his father may have been pushed into rebelling against the king - that his father did not instigate the rebellion purely on his own - although he does ask whether it's likely that his father committed treason of his own volition. His follower says, "Certainly not," and this seems to push Go Un to further action, and he rides to Goguryeo to find out for himself what's going on.

He arrives and shortly after that, he sees his father being killed by DD, which may be the last straw for him as he probably has already convinced himself that his father was railroaded into committing treason by false accusations made against him.

So it makes maybe a smidgen more sense that Go Un turns against his childhood friend.

However, even if the PM was falsely accused with collaborating with the Houyan to hold the prince hostage, he HAS BEEN guilty of collaborating with them in the past - over the princess marriage issue; and he also committed treason by spreading malicious gossip about the crown prince installation ... AND he did hide Fengba's nameplate. And there was the business about the steel used for making black market swords or something or other to do with that.

No one made him do these things. And we all witnessed the numerous treasonous conversations he had with the ministers about wanting to get rid of DD.

I think Go Un is deliberately being naive about his father. I think he refuses to believe that his father was capable of committing treason on his own. But he might not be aware of the crown prince installation plot or the nameplate incident.

However, the viewers are privy to these happenings so I don't think there is any doubt that Gae Yeon Su is the 'baddie' in this drama.

which brings up my question why actress Kim Jung Hwa took part in this  project at all as an insignificant character. True, she was about the  only 'baddie' character that came to realise they were fighting for the  wrong reasons, being manipulated and all, and every time KJH appears,  she just lits up the screen with her presence, beauty and charisma.  Those sculpted cheekbones and big doe eyes of hers are too good to be  playing on the wrong side.

She was in Kingdom of the Winds (as one of the baddies) so she has experience in acting in a sageuk. She is a very classy lady too so I think that's why the producers cast her here. I like her character in this drama. Even though she is a woman she is willing to get her hands dirty and put her life on the line the same as all the grunts - the rank and file. She expects no special treatment because she's a woman, and she doesn't use feminine wiles to get her way. She is extremely loyal once she decides whose side she will join. I think she is still loyal to her tribe. It's just that she has different ideas to her brother about what is the best for the Mohe. She thinks the Mohe should work with DD, not against him. I like how the actress gets really stuck into her role with all the training for the fighting scenes that's involved.

I think a warrior king is suited to having a warrior queen by his side. With Koguryeo under constant attack or threat of attack, it can't afford to have fainting lilies in the queen's seat. Everybody has to pull their weight and contribute - royals and non-royals alike. I think that's the spirit of Koguryeo. It wasn't a decadently wealthy kingdom with professional soldiers doing all the fighting while the nobility sat back and entertained themselves. The king personally got involved in defending his kingdom (and expanding it). Well, this is the impression I get about Koguryeo from reading about it and watching dramas about it (tho' I realize doing the latter is not the best way to learn history).

I think there is some chemistry between Lee Tae Gon's character and Kim Jung Hwa's character. It's dormant/latent right now but I would like to see it emerge in the scenes later on when they come closer together (if the chart is correct and shows marriage between the two). I noticed the chemistry when they first meet - in the scene where he saves her from being speared by the Khitan chief.

I don't know which woman gives birth to Jangsu if they show this in this drama. I think it's Yakyeon if he ends up marrying her. It's just a feeling I have. I don't think the writers want to have another miscarriage story in this drama. I don't think it's DY as she's lost one baby already and she's getting married to Asin anyway. I think it's very unlikely that she gets back together with DD as his wife. If that doesn't happen in the next couple of episodes, it's pretty certain that it won't ever happen. Although I am sure they do meet again but just not as husband and wife. I don't think the viewers could take her marrying Asin then leaving him and marrying DD again and then having his kids. It would just be too unbelievable. DD wouldn't have time anyway as he would be too busy marrying YY and Seolji. Besides, as far as I know, Asin survives the war with Koguryeo and lives peacefully thereafter as the head of Baekje which becomes a tributary state of Koguryeo after the war. So she is not left a widow early on after marrying him (if the drama follows history).

If the marriage with Yakyeon is short-lived because she is killed somehow and DD marries Seolji, then he must have the baby with Seolji. So the baby, Jangsu, is half-Goguryean and half-Mohe if this indeed is the case. And Seoldoan becomes the baby's uncle. I don't think DD marries Seolji while he's still married to YY, so I think YY is killed in this drama to make way for him to marry Seolji. Though of course I could be wrong and he marries Seolji for political reasons while he's still married to YY.

I think it's good in a way that DD marries all these women. It makes the drama more interesting and in each of the marriages he shows a different side of his character. He is tender with YY when he tells her that she can consider herself the queen even though officially she isn't.

She was in Kingdom of the Winds (as one of the baddies) so she has experience in acting in a sageuk. She is a very classy lady too so I think that's why the producers cast her here. I like her character in this drama. Even though she is a woman she is willing to get her hands dirty and put her life on the line the same as all the grunts - the rank and file. She expects no special treatment because she's a woman, and she doesn't use feminine wiles to get her way. She is extremely loyal once she decides whose side she will join. I think she is still loyal to her tribe. It's just that she has different ideas to her brother about what is the best for the Mohe. She thinks the Mohe should work with DD, not against him. I like how the actress gets really stuck into her role with all the training for the fighting scenes that's involved.

My take is she's too classy and too experienced to be acting as an insignificant character in this drama. What a waste of talent on the PDs part.

As for her previous sageuk, I believe it was The Land Of The Wind Baranui Nara where she was Yi Ji.

Anyway just finished ep 42 on KBSW and pretty lady Kim Jung Hwa once again showed her chops and extended leg kicks - awesome!!

Not to mention her boomerang twin dagger.....I'm almost tempted to ask why they haven't already formed an army of Goguryeo warriors all armed with this boomerang dagger that can easily decimate opponents with a single swipe and since the weapon returns to its user, it's rather environmental -friendly too. ....wouldn't be fair to the opposition, yeah?

Even with fake dirt on her face after a swordfight, she looked extremely babelicious.

Guest honzbear

She was one of the few characters I liked in Land of the Wind (what a funny title - sounds like it's about farting). Actually, that was the first drama I saw her in. Then I saw her in War of Money where she played a different character to the one in Land of the Wind. I liked her there too. She acted a very dignified role in that drama. I personally think she suits the baddie roles better than the good girl roles. Yeah, the boomerang dagger is great.

So Yakyeon and Damdeok not marry yet...So can we say  that we cannot confirm yet what's gonna happen if Damdeok reunite with Doyoung before that? But Damdeok already promise to marry Yakyeon..It will be great if Yeon Salta found her...If Doyoung not gonna reunite with Damdeok I don't think there is a point for her still appear in this drama..For what?After all she lost her baby..Just like you said, if Damdeok has not married yet to Yakyeon and the mean time reunite with Doyoung I hope he won't continue that marriage unless something else happen..Go Chang will be mad if Damdeok break his promise but how could Damdeok marry someone else when his  wife still alive and well in front of him.

Actually what is the reason most minister urge Damdeok to crown a queen?Is it because Doyoung is a daughter's traitor or she's been assume dead?If Damdeok can forgive yeon Salta for his father's crime what's the different with Doyoung?

Wait... Yakyeon... as in his AUNT? He's trying to marry his AUNT?!

Also, the difference between Yeon Salta and Doyoung is huge. Yes, Yeon Salta's father played a part in the treason against the royal family. He was a pawn in the whole game, and thus, his crime was not that great. But for Doyoung, her father, the Prime Minister, is the MASTERMIND behind the whole thing. He planned it, and lead the way. And he claimed that it was for the daughter Damdeok abandoned. He claimed this whole thing in Doyoung's name. Despite the fact that she now carries the future heir to the throne of Goguryeo, how hard would it be for her if she has to live with the weight of her father's crimes resting on her shoulders? She's the constant reminder he doesn't want. But perhaps, out of the love he has for his wife and their future child, he can forgive her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Wait... Yakyeon... as in his AUNT? He's trying to marry his AUNT?!

Also, the difference between Yeon Salta and Doyoung is huge. Yes, Yeon Salta's father played a part in the treason against the royal family. He was a pawn in the whole game, and thus, his crime was not that great. But for Doyoung, her father, the Prime Minister, is the MASTERMIND behind the whole thing. He planned it, and lead the way. And he claimed that it was for the daughter Damdeok abandoned. He claimed this whole thing in Doyoung's name. Despite the fact that she now carries the future heir to the throne of Goguryeo, how hard would it be for her if she has to live with the weight of her father's crimes resting on her shoulders? She's the constant reminder he doesn't want. But perhaps, out of the love he has for his wife and their future child, he can forgive her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Incest was rather common among the Royal family then.

Guest honzbear

kapneemo, have you read previous pages? We've already discussed this. Everyone feels squeamish that he's marrying a relative but she's not actually his aunt; she's his cousin which isn't as bad.

I don't know how you know this, Travis - that royals used to marry their relatives. Can you give some examples?

You might be right. I just know that in Korean society, intermarriage is a big no-no. In Korea, people used to scruitinize the family trees of prospective sons in law and daughters in law, and if there was any connection to the family, the marriage was called off. In the past, people didn't approve of someone marrying another person with the same surname in case they came from the same clan. This is less strict now. But cousins marrying cousins in Korea is virtually unheard of.

But it might have been different among royalty esp during ancient times. I just don't know, so would like to see proof that this happened commonly in the past.

If Jangsu is Yakyeon's child, then the child will be the product of cousin marriage. Anyway, this drama is not true to life at all so it doesn't really matter. In a way, I would like to see the power kept within Damdeok's family. That way there is more cohesiveness, less fighting between clans and less fighting overall. Kyerubu is the dominant clan - this is the clan that Damdeok and his family belong to.

kapneemo, we are up to episode 51 and we already know that Doyeong has lost the baby. And that Damdeok is getting married to Yakyeon, and Doyeong, according to the charts, is getting married to Asin.

Even though Doyeong is the PM's daughter, I don't think that matters to Damdeok. He knew quite well what a treasonous individual the PM was before he got married. That's why he hesitated to marry Doyeong at first. By marrying her he indicated that he was not going to let whatever the PM did affect the relationship with his wife. In other words, he entered the marriage with his eyes fully open. He knew that there was a possibility he would have to fight with his father in law, and he still went ahead and married the PM's daughter. Doyeong also knew what her father was like and what he was capable of, and by accepting the marriage proposal, she signaled that she was prepared to deal with whatever her father did in the future, but she would still honor the marriage. However when the time came for their marriage to be tested - by the PM's treason - she let shame overcome her. Later, her concerns that she would hurt Damdeok by staying with him made her decide to hide herself and eventually go elsewhere.. 

In this drama, Damdeok is meant to be a virtuous individual so it would have been out of character for him to have borne a grudge against his wife for what her father did. He forgave Yeon Salta and he doesn't even seem to hold a grudge against Seoldoan.

A less magnanimous king would have put to death immediately all the family members of the traitors, young and old alike. And this used to happen in the Joseon period. The houses of the treasonous people were burned to the ground and no one was allowed to rebuild there for a period of years. (Maybe there was good justification for these harsh measures; by eliminating all family members you minimized the chance of someone taking revenge against you.)

It was like making the treasonous people and their families non-persons. Destroying every trace of them.

So I would imagine treason was very rare in Korea during the Joseon era. People may have been prepared to risk and sacrifice their own lives to commit rebellion but weren't prepared to risk and sacrifice the lives of family members.

Guest honzbear

I watched King Gwanggaeto episode 50 and here is what I can make out. Doyeong runs into Asin. He thinks she is a family member of a traitor and therefore is on the run. He lets her onto the boat and it goes to Baekje. 

In Houyan, the royals discuss what's happening. The second prince decides he will scheme on his own and use Baekje to further his ends and he makes plans to visit Baekje. 

In Koguryeo, there are some negotiations over Koguryeo citizens. Yeoseokgae has been chosen to start the negotiations. He protests saying he can't do this but he relents and he sits at the table with Asin. 

In the end, Asin gives in and agrees to hand the citizens back to Koguryeo. 

In the meantime, the Baekje prince/noble returns to Baekje and there he is visited by the second prince of Houyan who has brought the slave merchant with him. Together they cook up some scheme. 

In Koguryeo, we see some Koguryeo citizens being led off the boat and they are met by their family members who are glad to see them. However, not all is all right. Some people are missing. The people become angry. Haemowol is there and he confronts the Baekje people. 

Back in the palace, the Baekje people discuss things. Asin is probably not aware of the plot that his colleague is involved in with Houyan. Damdeok confronts the Baekje people and demands why they haven't fulfilled their promise to return all the people, and warns that if they do not do that, there will be consequences for Baekje. He hands them a scroll with the agreement on it or something to remind them of what they promised and what will happen if they break their promise. 

Asin is angry at his colleague. 

The colleague walks into the room where Damdeok and his people are. He takes out a sword and is about to stab himself with it. It is an honor killing. He will shoulder all the blame so that Baekje will not be punished. 

Damdeok looks cooly on as if to say, "Go ahead, I don't care. I won't try and stop you. And it's not going to change a thing anyway." LOL.

Just as he is about to stab himself, Seolji knocks the dagger out of his hand and Sagal Hyeon shouts "Stop!" 

They work out some sort of deal and the Baekje people return to the boat. They are very unhappy with the way things have turned out. 

Damdeok visits the village and makes an announcement, probably saying all the people will be returned etc etc. 

All the people start cheering, "Manse! Manse!" and Damdeok is carried around by his men in triumph. 

The preview shows a new character. He seems to be foretelling bad omens about Gwanggaeto's reign, or maybe he has come to the palace to warn Damdeok about something. It shows Ojang spitting out something distasteful - maybe the liquid he is drinking has turned bad? The innkeeper ajumma complains about something. Go Un is plotting something. He hands over a box to the Mohe. They seem to have made an alliance of sorts. Then Go Un vows to get Damdeok's head. It seems the story stays mostly in Koguryeo, but there is confrontation building up between Koguryeo and Houyan.

Guest honzbear

The actor is acting in another drama called "A Dangerous Woman". So we presume that's why he left KGTG. Nothing bad happened to him in the drama btw. He just stopped showing up.

The actor is acting in another drama called "A Dangerous Woman". So we presume that's why he left KGTG. Nothing bad happened to him in the drama btw. He just stopped showing up.

Thanks for answering my question. So he just disappeared one day? The writer's didn't even bother to give him a proper write-off? He was one of my favorite characters!!

Guest katherinekang

Ah, Honzbear. a little mistake u had made. Actually, Go Un visited the Khitans not the Mohe people. I am surprised but happy that more people are tuning in to this thread. The show is slowly but surely tickling people's tastebuds or is it there are not much new dramas running around.

All I know, presently there is Poseidon (quite a good drama but it has already finished), Glory Jane (whatever it is..boy meets girl who meets another boy and u hv 2 boys falling over 1 girl). I dun know what is new in Korea cos it is year end and I think most dramas will only debut next year.

Time for me to go to KBS News to find out what's new.

Archived