[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

Guest honzbear

Tell you what, how's this for a plot twist? Have Doyoung shack up with Ojang the blacksmith. She has somewhere to stay and doesn't have to wander around like a vagabond. Besides, she wanted to be an ordinary woman so by becoming the blacksmith's wife, she gets her wish. And she wouldn't have to leave Goguryeo. And he's a blacksmith which is a good job so he can support her, and his house doesn't look too bad from what we've seen from the inside. The only problem is he's as ugly as sin (although some people think he's cute), but as the saying goes, you can't have everything. And if the actress wanted to drop out of the drama to act in something else, no one would notice her leaving.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe one reason why these actors and actresses(and probably with the influence of their talent agency)who are in the drama are dropping out of the drama is because they don't like what's going on with their characters. it's not what they thought it's should be.

hi bonds, i wasn't able to read your earlier post before i posted the second translation. you were right in your interpretation of the scene on episode 47 and i totally agree with all your opinions. i would rather have Doyoung die first before Damdeok can marry Yakyeon and i don't like the idea of Doyoung marrying Asin. if Damdeok marries Yakyeon before he finds out that Doyoung is still alive and YY knows it all along, will YY be happy?

i was thinking exactly the same possible scenario. :) i hope same thing like that will happen and i hope it's going to be Yeon Salta that will be able to save her since Damdeok made him promised to look for her.

Viktoria, appreciated your time and effort to get the translations for us. Not forgetting that 'fairy godlady' who helped you out. She must be wondering why you are only interested in that particular scene. :-)

Yes, I would also prefer that it's Yeon Salta who finds or saves Doyoung instead since he had made a blunder which risked Doyoung's life and losing her.

With his father supporting Guksang's treason bringing shame to him, he excluded himself from Damdeok's men. I'm glad that they did not snarl at him and forsake him but instead encouraged him to go back to the palace to serve the king.

By finding Doyoung, he is able to redeem his mistake which he had greatly regretted. This will also help boost his confidence and morale which are lacking in him right now.

The guy who plays Go Chang is better at playing the snarling villain anyway. See: Dae jo Young.

He felt really out of place as the good guy.

Dae Jo Young looks like a good drama. Nam Sung Jin who plays Go Chang, acts better in here.

I like Go Chang in the beginning when he sacrificed his life for his province during Houyan's invasion against Goguryeo. But when Guksang wanted to kill him, he seemed to become timid as if he was afraid to die. I wonder why that fear in him all the sudden. Where was his pride and principle for the province he loved? Maybe he was worried that Guksang would kill his brother, thus the fear.

Now, with the 360° change in him, it's becoming more puzzling. When he kept going against Guksang, it wasn't obvious that he was equally hungry for power. I was thinking that it could be because he didn't like Guksang. Now, with Guksang gone, his true color and desires actually surface. What a pity.

Actually it quite a relief that Go Chang is not Prime Minister and Damdeok made a good decision to change minister post....so we can say that Damdeok manage to balance the power in the royal court but for him to be a powerful king so that no minister will able to oppose him later on he need to win the war and be feared and respected from the other nation king. I don't think Damdeok will face a problem if he found Doyoung later on.Actually it will be interesting if Doyoung reunite with Damdeok,pregnant and disappear again just like in Kingdom of The Wind but not with the idea that Doyoung married with Asin.

I'm not sure but was Go Chang given a promotion to a higher level in the court or retained the same post in ep 47? It looks like he is still a general / officer, not a minster, from the outfit he is wearing. While others are surprised on their promotions, he seems to be taken aback with his post as well as his father's. Go Chang shouldn't be thinking about being promoted to PM since there are other top ministers who should be taken into consideration first.

After all the setbacks and betrayals, Damdeok is now more alert and cautious of the people around him.

I saw in KBS World preview that Doyoung sneak a peep at Damdeok and Yakyeon (In fact, there is where I saw Yakyeon dressed as a lady, Yucks). I watched Dae Jo Young and also Go Chang character in it, he was a mean general.

I am waiting for the parts where Damdeok consolidate his court and go to war. Everyone is giving him a hard time, undoubtly he can turn the tables on them. The 3 pigs are in for a hard time. Plotting and failing to make their schemes worked is giving them a name TOTAL FAILURE.

The first 2 bold words that I saw when I read you post are '3 pigs'. I can't help laughing out loud. You really make my day with these words. It reminds me of the children's storybook 'The Three Little Pigs'. Lol.... Thanks.

Well, I don't like Yakyeon's lady clothing neither. My mind went blank when I saw the preview. Why can't they dress her up a little bit better? Are they trying to portray her as a lady to be older than Damdeok or to remind us that she is Damdeok's aunt afterall? Doyoung and Damjoo dress pretty well, even the queen. Give me back the soldier Yakyeon, please.

After Guksang's treason, the rating has dropped again. But Damdeok has to restore the court and fill up the missing posts. He has to stabalise the court first, thus the stabality of Goguryeo, before he can go to war. With Go Chang trying to be 'funny' now, I guess Damdeok has a hard time once again. No doubt he is able to put the stop to all the nonsense in time before the Baekje's invasion. But I would like to see the battle with the Houyan when Go Un is involved in it. The fight with the Mohe can be quite boring to watch.

Kim Seung Su(Go Un) has a new daily drama too, Just Like Today. it will start on November 21.

i totally agree with you katherinekang. there's one more thing that i don't understand with the writers, aside from Yakyeon, there's Seol Ji who knows too that Doyoung is still alive. Why is it that she's not saying anything?

Thanks for the information. It seems that more actors are having more than 1 project on hand. Maybe it's because their screentime is lesser now, that they are able to take up another project. I hardly see Go Un, Doyoung and Damjoo on the scenes these days, probably less than 5 minutes of their screentime in the last few episodes.

But I am more curious about Kim Seung Soo. If Go Un is going to become a Houyan king in the end and fights with Damdeok, I wonder how is KSS able to take up a daily drama project where it requires his constant appearance. Maybe in the early episdoes of his new drama, he hasn't appeared yet, thus he is allowed to continue with KGTG(?).

If KGTG has 60 episodes, it could be that their parts have been completed(?).

maybe one reason why these actors and actresses(and probably with the influence of their talent agency)who are in the drama are dropping out of the drama is because they don't like what's going on with their characters. it's not what they thought it's should be.

I'm rather disappointed with the writers. This is supposed to be a great drama.

I've always thought that the actors have to sign an agreement in which they have to complete the project first before they are allowed to take up a new project. But it seems that most artistes (in this drama as well as others) are taking up more than 1 project, with different tv stations surprisingly. Maybe their management has put in a clause which protect their artistes that, should the drama has little impact or ruined their popularity or images, they are allowed to drop out from it. But it will definitely dampen the relationship between the artistes and the tv station.

Anyway, I wonder what is Asin's reaction if he knows about Doyoung being Damdeok's wife whom he once saved and was attracted to. Will he regret not taking her hostage? I don't think he will harm her. But I don't want him marrying her even though he is a gentleman when he took good care of her.

It will be good if Doyoung is able to help compromise the relationship between Baekje and Goguryeo.

This drama isn't half as great as Sejong the great. Anyone seen that one? It's fantastic. Though it is a slow paced political drama, NOT an action war drama. If you can accommodate to its pace, it's fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhB5ha9nvOk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2P7XZs6ao&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Viktoria, appreciated your time and effort to get the translations for us. Not forgetting that 'fairy godlady' who helped you out. She must be wondering why you are only interested in that particular scene. :-)

Yes, I would also prefer that it's Yeon Salta who finds or saves Doyoung instead since he had made a blunder which risked Doyoung's life and losing her.

With his father supporting Guksang's treason bringing shame to him, he excluded himself from Damdeok's men. I'm glad that they did not snarl at him and forsake him but instead encouraged him to go back to the palace to serve the king.

By finding Doyoung, he is able to redeem his mistake which he had greatly regretted. This will also help boost his confidence and morale which are lacking in him right now.

yes, i'm really very thankful and grateful for her kindness. she's really my "fairy godlady". :)

After all the setbacks and betrayals, Damdeok is now more alert and cautious of the people around him.

i just hope that he's not always ready to compromise and sacrifices the people he loves just to be able to accomplished what he wants. i'm not sure if i got it right but didn't Damdeok said something to Doyoung like, "how can he become a great king if he can not even protect the person he loves"?

Thanks for the information. It seems that more actors are having more than 1 project on hand. Maybe it's because their screentime is lesser now, that they are able to take up another project. I hardly see Go Un, Doyoung and Damjoo on the scenes these days, probably less than 5 minutes of their screentime in the last few episodes.

But I am more curious about Kim Seung Soo. If Go Un is going to become a Houyan king in the end and fights with Damdeok, I wonder how is KSS able to take up a daily drama project where it requires his constant appearance. Maybe in the early episdoes of his new drama, he hasn't appeared yet, thus he is allowed to continue with KGTG(?).

If KGTG has 60 episodes, it could be that their parts have been completed(?).

i wonder if it's really possible for them to be able to do two dramas at the same time.

Guest honzbear

This drama isn't half as great as Sejong the great. Anyone seen that one? It's fantastic. Though it is a slow paced political drama, NOT an action war drama. If you can accommodate to its pace, it's fantastic.

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

You're not Korean are you, Travis? I am Korean and I haven't seen as many Korean historical dramas as you (but I suppose I only became interested in them this year). You appear to be knowledgeable about them.

I watched a bit of Dong Yi and it was OK but it was just one episode toward the end that I saw.

Chuno I made it halfway before I had to quit watching - I didn't like it. I didn't like the main actress in it. She's not that attractive so I didn't find the plot about the guy waiting and looking for her all these years believable.

Jumong started out really good but the second half of it ruined it for me. I skipped through many of the episodes in the latter half.

Kingdom of the Wind was just so bad it was laughable.

Emperor of the Sea was OK but it dragged on too long.

I saw Admiral Yi Soon Shin and slept through it. I ended up skipping most of it and just watched the last episode.

And then I caught Dae Jo Young. I didn't like any of the characters. I esp didn't like the Khitan guy who becomes a general and I stopped watching after episode 3 - it was too boring.

And then I saw a little of Geunchogo and didn't like it.

I made it to about episode 3 of Gyebaek when the subtitles ran out which was OK because it was boring.

I don't want to watch Tree with Deep Roots because I don't like the main actor, Jang Hyuk (draft dodger and generally I don't like his acting).

I don't like fusion historical dramas - the ones that combine history with modern styles.

I have no interest in watching Queen Seondok or the detective one with Ha Ji Won. I don't like Ha Ji Won.

It's got to be really exciting for me to sit through 40+ episodes that these dramas run to and beyond. Gwanggaeto started off well but the romance story is about to kill it for me just like how the romance story spoiled Jumong for me.

As for the actors leaving Gwanggaeto, it's hard to say what came first. The chicken or the egg? Did the actors know what would happen to their characters - that they would be killed off etc and so line up more work to do after their parts in Gwanggaeto finished? Or did they decide to leave and work in other projects before they knew what would happen to their characters?

I think the Dol Bisu guy and Jang Shin Young quit even before they knew what would happen to their characters.

Dammang - I am not sure. I think he needed to be removed from the drama to make way for Damdeok to become king. So the military thing might have had no effect.

Kim Seung Soo might know that he is killed off in Episode (---) so he's lined up another drama to act in after this episode. Or if he's not killed off before the second drama starts filming, he might try and act in both dramas at the same time.

Same with Oh Ji Eun and Jo An.

Since they're not in every scene, they might have time to act in both dramas. Still, if this is the case, I would imagine the producers aren't that happy about this situation. They would want their actors to give their 100% attention and focus to the one drama and not share it between this drama and another.

I am in America now and I miss KBS World that I watched online when I was in Korea. It would have been my way of having a link with Korea.

Guest honzbear

I don't like any of the Joseon era dramas or Koryeo period dramas for that matter. The heyday of Korean history was the three kingdoms period. After this period, Korea entered a stagnant period. I would like to see a historical drama made about General Mundeok Eulji. He was a general who led Goguryeo forces against the Sui and fought the Battle of Salsu. I don't think a drama has been made about this historical figure. I would like Lee Tae Gon cast in the main role. But I want him to play it differently to how he is playing Damdeok – less shouting, bravado and so on. The battle tactics would be very interesting in this drama.

I wish I knew whether KGTG was 60 or 80 episodes long. If it was 60 episodes I would know the series would be ending soon and there is some end in sight. If it's 80 episodes, I would steel myself for the drama to go on and on and for it to drag out some of the stories for a while. I would prefer it be 60 episodes. I am getting a bit sick of this drama. It's the best drama on TV at the moment but still it doesn't move as fast as I want it to.

I hope Lee Tae Gon has something lined up straight after KGTG. I want to see him in another drama soon after KGTG finishes. I don't want to wait. Although I would like to see him in a contemporary drama this time, I don't want to see him in another family/romance type drama, the kind he's been in a few times now.

i just hope that he's not always ready to compromise and sacrifices the people he loves just to be able to accomplished what he wants. i'm not sure if i got it right but didn't Damdeok said something to Doyoung like, "how can he become a great king if he can not even protect the person he loves"?

After being forced to give away Damjoo to Houyan reluntantly, I don't think Damdeok will want to sacrifce another person closed to him, to any of his enemies.  I also don't think he will do it for his own accomplishment or achievement.  Damdeok looks into the picture as a whole, for the sake of Goguryeo and his people.

If the correlation chart stands correct, I wonder how does Doyoung end up marrying Asin.  She can't be sacrificing herself for the sake of Goguryeo.  Not that she won't, it just doesn't make sense.  Damdeok wouldn't have allowed her to do so too, especially after a long separation from her.

i wonder if it's really possible for them to be able to do two dramas at the same time.

In the past, artistes were not allowed to join another rival tv station when they were binded by their current contracts.  They can be sued if they did.

However, the rules may have relaxed these days.  Looking at the new dramas and the casts, it seems that artistes are able to take up more than 1 project now.  Lee Bo Hee as the Queen, may have also taken up a new project too before they kill her role with that arrow. 

The only person who disappeared all the sudden without any reason is Dol Bisu.  They should have at least killed his character during the fight.  His sudden absence from the scene is very strange since he is always with Yeo Seokgae and Damdeok.

Thus I hope that they won't do the same to Go Un and Doyoung - a sudden disappearance.  Kill off their roles if they must.  For us to close their chapters, just like Guksang.

Guest honzbear

The 3 pigs are in for a hard time. Plotting and failing to make their schemes worked is giving them a name TOTAL FAILURE.  

Two of the 3 pigs won't be killed by Damdeok I think if the writers follow history.  Murong Bo was killed by some Houyan people after his attempt to overthrow his father failed, and he is also Damdeok's brother-in-law so I don't think Damdeok wants to kill him personally.

Feng Ba becomes emperor too and he's killed in a coup, not by Gwanggaeto.

I don't know about Seoldoan. If Damdeok marries his sister he wouldn't want to kill Seoldoan, his brother-in-law.

Damdeok also wouldn't want to fight Go Un, another brother-in-law.

And there is another brother-in-law, Go Chang, if Damdeok marries Yakyeon. (And Go Mu becomes Damdeok's father-in-law).

So there are four brothers-in-law in total in this drama (if the charts are correct and if Go Chang turns bad) who hate Damdeok.

What a complicated web of family relationships that's woven in this drama. I wonder if the ratings go up next episode because many people tune in to see whether Damdeok marries Yakyeon or not. I guess they showed Yakyeon in a dress meeting with Damdeok in the preview just for that reason – to tantalize viewers.

I wonder what their marriage will be like. I think Damdeok will eventually find out that Doyoung is alive and he'll be angry because Yakyeon kept it from him. She will probably explain that Doyoung asked her to promise to keep her presence a secret from everyone because she was ashamed of what her father did and she was also worried about the effect it might have on Damdeok's position if she returned to his side. People might not accept him as a crown prince or a king if she were there as his wife.

Now that her baby is dead there is no reason for her to hang around Goguryeo. Her brother in the meantime joins the Houyan and is adopted by the emperor. He finds his sister and she joins the palace in Houyan. While there, Go Un decides he will marry her off to Asin and so she ends up with Asin. Or she gets lost again and is found by a Baekje person and is taken to Baekje where she marries Asin.

Damdeok also marries Seolji at some stage, either as a second wife or after Yakyeon perishes.

So Seolji is his final wife in this drama. I wonder how the drama ends. I think Damdeok dies because at the start of the first episode we see Damdeok among clouds or something as if he's dead and in heaven and he's looking down on earth remembering his life.

And so the drama ends up full circle.

Anyhow, as I have said it's hard to predict what goes on in this drama. There are so many unbelievable plot twists it's not funny.

Guest farhah1986

Is Doyoung's child really dead? So she won't be the mother of Jangsu?

I think that is one question that most viewer want to know..and I think we have to wait for that...

Guest honzbear

It's a little strange actually that KBS is showing a drama about Koguryeo. The current President of Korea is Lee Myung Bak and he is firmly anti-DPRK. Koguryeo had its capital in North Korea and it's a kingdom that is more associated with the northern part of Korea than the South. Baekje and Silla are more closely tied to South Korea than to North Korea. And KBS is a government channel. Every time a new government comes in, changes in personnel at the network station occur, and the contents of the programming reflect these changes. Obviously there would be some political bias shown. So it's kind of ironic that a drama that glorifies Koguryeo is screened during Lee Myung Bak's administration. (Maybe that's why KGTG is being shown on the weekend – this isn't a highly visible time slot.)

I read up on Feng Ba and he dies of shock after hearing that his brother has taken over the palace where he is emperor, so he is not killed by anyone. Sorry Katherine, looks like you're not going to get your wish.

I've heard most modern Korean's are descendants of Shilla. A lot of Goguryans were taken to China as slaves by Tang and some fled to Japan and Shilla. Most were in Balhae of course and when that fell a minority fled to Koreyo and most were slain or taken as slaves by the Khitans. Most Bakjeans fled to Japan and some to Shilla.

Guest honzbear

Some Koreans say the majority fled to Koryeo and a minority were taken away by the Khitans.

I can watch KBS World on cable TV in America. This is great. I can see Gwanggaeto the Great on TV this weekend.

Some Koguryeans went to Japan when Koguryeo broke up. They say the Japanese language is made up of the Koguryeo language and some other ancient languages. I've also read that the Koguryeo people were the ones who started the samurai and the bushido traditions in Japan. I don't know whether this is true.

I think South Korean society still roughly runs along the divisions that existed in Korea back in those days. There are the Jeollanam-do people who supposedly are like the Baekje people. There are the Gyeongsangnam-do people who are said to be like the Silla people. The Gyeongsangnam-do people do not get on with the Jeollanam-do people. The politicians of the respective regions are always at loggerheads with each other. And then there are the North Korean people who are considered tough, resilient and ingenious in battle just like the Goguryeo people were I imagine. And we know how the South Korean people feel about the North Korean people. Both the "Silla" and the "Baekje" people gang up against them, particularly the "Silla" people. It is just like in the drama. The Baekje people, the Houyans and later the Silla people are waiting to pounce on Koguryeo when they see an opening. The Koguryeans have always had to struggle in their history. People from all sides waged war on them - from the west, from the north and from the south. And we can see how sieged North Korea is these days. Being under threat of invasion from these nations, Koguryeo was forced to continually stay on a war-footing, always having to remain alert in case of attack, and therefore having to divert much of the kingdom's resources to maintaining its military. Like the DPRK, all men between the ages of eighteen and sixty in Koguryeo at some point in its history were required to be join the military and do service when required. The only way to survive in this sort of environment, surrounded by many hostile tribes, was to develop a warrior culture. Hence the emergence of figures like King Gwanggaeto the Great.

Goguryeo wasn't entirely faultless. They continually provoked China by trying to annex its borders. They had a very expansionist mindset. Why do you think China tried to wipe them out as soon as they reunified? And we all know about the hell on earth that is North Korea.

Guest honzbear

I don't know what's going on in this episode. I wish there was a translator here.

Is Yakyeon married to him yet or is she just engaged? What did the Baekje envoys come to Damdeok about?

What did Damdeok say about Doyoung in his speech to his staff?

It looks like the charts on the KBS site show marriage lines and not just romantic interest lines. It is interesting then how Damdeok ends up marrying Seolji. Does he marry her while he's still married to Yakyeon? Would the viewers find it acceptable that he takes on an additional wife while he's still married to the second wife (and actually to the first one too, though she's lost)? They might if they realize that it is a strategic marriage, not one done out of love.

Now that Go Un is no longer a Koguryeo person, how does he end up marrying Damjoo? Is that because she is now a Houyan person (having married the crown prince of Houyan)? But won't she feel funny marrying someone who has turned his back on Koguryeo? Or does the marriage take place after he's reconciled with Damdeok (if that ever happens)? Or does she marry him thinking that she will turn him around not to hate Koguryeo? Why would he marry the sister of someone whom he hates?

Not that exciting this episode. Still it might set up some fight episodes down the line. Anyway, the drama is moving forward with Damdeok engaged/married to Yakyeon. He shouldn't be without a queen by his side. He needs a companion while he looks after affairs of state.

In the preview, there is a melee between Haemowol's men and Baekje on the wharf where the Baekje ship is docked. The slave merchant is back again. Yeoseokgae is negotiating something with Asin while Damdeok and the others stand behind him. Some soldiers (from Koguryeo I think) are seen galloping through the village street. Houyan seem to be discussing Baekje and I think Baekje envoys visit Houyan. In the last scene where Yeoseokgae is seated opposite Asin, Damdeok smiles cryptically as if he's amused by something.

I think momentum is building up toward a confrontation between Koguryeo and Baekje.

Archived