[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

In most dramas' correlation charts, they would usually show arrows or hearts on the lines to distinguish if their loves are reciprocal or just one-sided affection.

I used to be bothered by the red lines on the charts when I first came across it.  I don't wish to see a king with more than 1 wife. 

Maybe KBS has decided not to put in the arrows so as to confuse viewers.  But there's a possibility that they can change the script as and when they think fit, thus no arrows.

The red lines between Damdeok and Yakyeon or Seolji, as well as Doyoung and Asin could most probably means just one-sided love.  So far, Damdeok has not shown any affection towards Yakyeon and Seolji.  Likewise to Doyoung towards Asin.

In Jumong, So Seo No married Jumong  when everyone thinks that Ye So Ya is dead.  Besides, Jumong and So Seo No love each other.

However, in KGTG, Damdeok only loves Doyoung.  He also realises that Doyoung is not dead when he found her shoe near the cliff. (I thought that the shoe was under a rock or tree trunk when Doyoung fell, trying to escape from the Malgals?  Well, it doesn't matter so long as Damdeok finds her shoe to indicate that she is still alive.)  Thus it's obvious that Damdeok will seach for her no matter how, so that she won't have to suffer so much, and especially so when her family is now completely destroyed and that she is wanted  by the imperial house, to be executed.

Guksang is dead.  Although Doyoung may not be living a normal life she most possibly can, she can still make up for her father's sin by being a good wife and the future queen of Goguryeo, and by grooming her kids well.  Doyoung has already told Guksang's that she has to live with her father's sin forever.  Her pregnancy will be able to give her much comfort.  And with Damdeok's moral support and understanding, she is able to pull through. 

If Seolji reveals the truth about Doyoung being a victim of her father's plot, maybe then she wouldn't be so stressful with the shame, guilt and concious.  I really hope that life wouldn't be so harsh on her.  And that she will continue to be Damdeok's great and supportive wife.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest honzbear

Everyone is standing around the Queen in the mourning room. Then the executions happened. Afterwards, there is a discussion between Damdeok and Haemowol about something to do with Yeon Salta. Damdeok seems angry. Doyoung goes to the palace gates and sees her father's head on top of a pike. She leaves. Her brother and his men come by, they attack the guards and as Go Un wraps the head of his father, soldiers arrive and surround him and Damdeok comes. They have words and Damdeok tells Yeoseokgae to untie Go Un. He does so and Go Un walks off. Doyoung is walking around crying. She has abdominal pains and collapses on the ground. The smithy comes with his friends. They are drunk. One of them finds Doyoung and shouts to the others. They recognize her (from having met her before). Ojang tries to enter the court. Yakyeon comes out just then, and he asks her where Yeoseokgae is. Then he whispers something in her ears. Next scene, Yakyeon is wiping the sweat from Doyoung's forehead as she is lying down. They talk. Yakyeon tells her some bad news. Doyoung starts to cry. (Maybe that she can't go back to the palace or something?) Yakyeon comes out. She tells the men not to tell anyone that the Crown Princess is inside. She gives some further instructions.

Damdeok is walking outside his quarters. Seolji comes to him. He says something about Doyoung to her. There is a flashback of Doyoung saying something to him. He says he still loves her. (I think Seolji feels torn because she can't reveal that it was her tribe that kidnapped his wife.)

Go Un is riding with his men in the woods when he is ambushed by Fengba's men. Fengba is watching from behind a bush with his men. Go Un and his men are caught. Suddenly Fengba fires arrows and rescues Go Un. Fengba's men fight the soldiers. (I think this is a set up by Fengba to make it look like he's rescuing Go Un.) Fengba gives him a badge and it says "Goguryeo". He tells Go Un that Damdeok has tried to kill him sending these soldiers to ambush him. The soldiers were dressed in a brown uniform. I think they are Houyan sent by Fengba to attack Go Un. Some of the men are surprised when they see Fengba attack the soldiers. Go Un is angry at Damdeok. He has fallen for Fengba's trick. Fengba poisons his mind further against Damdeok. Go Un has a flashback of Damdeok killing his father and he yells out angrily. Fengba eggs him on.

In Houyan, the crown prince tells his father that Damdeok has put down the rebellion. The king says something about Damjoo. The second prince says something about Baekje. The crown prince visits Damjoo. He tells her that Damdeok has put down the PM's rebellion. Damju is happy to hear the news. Damjoo asks is there anything else and Murong Bao says no.

Back in Goguryeo, the King enters the court. He says he will make Damdeok king. Damdeok says no that's not right. The king explains why he will go ahead and make Damdeok king. Damdeok says no, don't do that.

The king keeps talking about why he's going to do that - make Damdeok king. The king seems tired and sick at the end of his speech. Damdeok walks around outside pondering this. He sees Yakyeon who has been watching him. They have a chat about something but she doesn't tell him about Doyoung.

Next scene. Go Mu and some ministers try and talk him into taking the king's position. They talk about Baekje causing problems and that it's best if he takes the throne quickly. They need to make preparations for war soon or something like that. Damdeok is still reluctant to become king.

Damdeok relents and says he will be king. They all kneel and bow before him shouting "Dae wang paeya!" It ends.

Guest farhah1986

I can't believe that Go Un will be deceived just like that and Fengba cause misunderstanding between him and Damdeok.I wonder whether he will know the truth or not..Why would Damdeok going through all sorts of scheme just to kill him when Damdeok can just kill him before?I guess  when he know the truth its already too late because they already in a different side.

Is there any preview?It seems that the story will move forward to the war with Baekjae.

Guest farhah1986

I guess Damdeok will be busy in war with Baekjae which I think is good..but it also mean Damdeok will be separated again with Doyoung...I hope her pregnancy safe...When will they reunite again?Will they or not?Or Doyoung will die after giving birth to her son? It because I think this  is the most logical thing that might happen...After all Doyoung now is under Yakyeon care.So if that happen Damdeok won't marry again. When I look back...Damdeok has loss so many in order to be a king..not because he want to but fate put him to shoulder the responsibility as a king.He loss his brother,mother,uncle and his precious wife and friend.

I just couldn't believe that Go Un think Damdeok want to kill him...I guess all the shock,pressure,humiliation,and confusion make him unable to weigh what is right or wrong.I wonder what will he do when he know the truth even though there is no turning back I still want him to know the truth...I'd like to know his reaction.

Yeon Salta,I really admire him...he is really a strong man...I hope he continue to serve Damdeok and not die

NgShuYi, Kim Jung Hyun who played Dol Bisu has a lead role in MBC drama Dangerous Women recently thus the writers have decided to write off his character. Unfortunately they made him disappear all the sudden, thus the missing Dol Bisu.

Farhah, here is the preview.

Main page:

http://www.kbs.co.kr...king/index.html

Preview page:

http://www.kbs.co.kr...view/index.html

Bookmark these links for future references. KBS updates the episode preview using the same links. :)

In ep 47, Damdeok will restore the palace after it was ruined by the revolt. He also makes changes of the personnels in the court. It seems that there are some internal unhappiness among Go Mu and his men. They will wary of Damdeok checking on them when he visits their training ground.

Honzbear, thanks for the summary of ep 46.

I wonder why Yakyeon didn't inform Damdeok of Doyoung's whereabout. If her life is at risk, then the more Yakyeon should inform Damdeok. She can help Doyoung by testing Damdeok, on what he will do if he finds her. I really hate the idea about how these ladies, Yakyeon and Seolji just keep mum about Doyoung's whereabout. As if they want Damdeok all to themselves. I wish it's Yeon Salta or Yeo Seokgae who finds Doyoung. Must the writers drag Damdeok and Doyoung's reunion that long? Until Doyoung gives birth?

Go Un is already very lost and confused. If only he meets Doyoung who can convince him of right from wrong. Fengba takes this opportunity to confuse him further, swaying him to his side. I hate Fengba, much more than the useless Yongbo.

After the departure of Dol Bisu, Yeon Salta has caught my attention, since ep 38. I really admire his royalty. In ep 38, he really felt remorseful for causing harm to Doyoung and not protecting her. As Damdeok put it, since he has lost Doyoung, he has to find her back. I hope that Yeon Salta is able to do so, by finding Doyoung and safely bring her back to Damdeok.

Guest farhah1986

I watch the preview for episode 47 and it seems that Go Mu and his men unhappy with some of Damdeok decision...but I think Damdeok has his own reason.As a king he cannot make himself favor one faction more than others and I think that is the reason why Go Mu and his men wary with Damdeok action...I think YeoSeokgae feeling angry with Go Mu and the other generals when Damdeok also present at their party...I guess it because all the general pay more respect for Go Mu than the king himself..Although sometime Yeoseokgae is a reckless man but he is honest with his feeling...I hope Damdeok can solve this conflict...after all relationship between Go Mu and Damdeok was so good before and I can say that Go Mu teach Damdeok so much to be what he is now.But I think those merit make Go Mu forget no matter what Damdeok is already a king and he must respect Damdeok decision....I hope Go Mu realize whether his action is right or wrong because as an important person in Damdeok life he can't make Damdeok hesitates with his decision.I wonder if the ministers make a petition for Damdeok marry again and crown a new queen.

Guest honzbear

I like Fengba. He's cute. He gets knocked down but he always comes up again with a new scheme. He is very loyal to Houyan even though at times they abuse him (making him the stable hand, beating him etc). I am glad he finally becomes king of Houyan. He really should be king after all he's done for Houyan. There is no one more deserving than him being crowned king of Houyan. (And yet he's not the power-hungry type. He puts the safety of the king and crown prince first in battles. Many a time he has stopped the crown prince from doing something stupid.)

Go Un should know this is a trick. Goodness knows he's played some against Houyan himself. Didn't he pretend he was a traveling merchant and not a Goguryeo spy and PM's son and fool Fengba no less?

How can he trick others and then fall for this trick? As you say, bonds, I agree the man is confused and lost. He's not thinking with his right mind after what he witnessed and went through in the last few days. But eventually he should recover, get his bearings and work out how he's being manipulated. He should know Damdeok would never pull a dishonorable stunt like that.

Yakyeon would have informed Damdeok of Doyoung's whereabouts if she was able to. I think Damdeok said something that made Yakyeon think it wouldn't be safe to reveal her whereabouts to him. Yakyeon wouldn't keep this information to herself unless it was important to do so. She is thinking about Doyoung's safety above all. Even though she is in love with Damdeok, she would not stoop to keeping the presence of his wife hidden from him from selfish motives.

I think the writers want to prolong the separation ... unfortunately. She got lost when? Episode 36? It's been 10 episodes now. It's dragging on so long.

I think the red lines in the charts mean "attraction" and not marriage. It's too hard to believe Damdeok would get married to two other women in this drama. And also it's farfetched that Doyoung and Asin would get married. And isn't Damjoo married to Murong Bao? So how is she going to get married to Go Un? So there is a possibility that Damdeok and Doyoung will get together after a while. She's already in Guknaeseong so she isn't far away. But next episode, it seems she still isn't with Damdeok so I don't know what the writers will use as the reason for their continued separation and how long they will be separated.

Actually, I have no idea what the writers plan for Doyoung. But I don't think she will die before giving birth.

I hope the next two episodes show some action or build-up to it instead of just internal squabbling.

When is there going to be fighting between Goguryeo and Baekje? Goguryeo and Houyan? I don't like all this lovey-dovey stuff between Goguryeo and Houyan. I didn't like the "Damjoo going to Houyan to marry the crown prince" story. It made Damdeok look weak that he was sending his sister away to the enemy. No wonder he was so ashamed of himself.

I watch the preview for episode 47 and it seems that Go Mu and his  men unhappy with some of Damdeok decision...but I think Damdeok has his  own reason.As a king he cannot make himself favor one faction more than  others and I think that is the reason why Go Mu and his men wary with  Damdeok action...I think YeoSeokgae feeling angry with Go Mu and the  other generals when Damdeok also present at their party...I guess it  because all the general pay more respect for Go Mu than the king  himself..Although sometime Yeoseokgae is a reckless man but he is honest  with his feeling...I hope Damdeok can solve this conflict...after all  relationship between Go Mu and Damdeok was so good before and I can say  that Go Mu teach Damdeok so much to be what he is now.But I think those  merit make Go Mu forget no matter what Damdeok is already a king and he  must respect Damdeok decision....I hope Go Mu realize whether his action  is right or wrong because as an important person in Damdeok life he  can't make Damdeok hesitates with his decision.I wonder if the ministers  make a petition for Damdeok marry again and crown a new queen.                      

Go Mu has his back turned to Damdeok when he comes in to watch the fighting practice and he doesn't turn around. Yeoseokgae raises his sword over this but Damdeok restrains him. There seems to be friction building up between Go Mu and Damdeok over something. I hope they don't carry on this story for too long. I don't want to see Damdeok and Go Mu argue. Go Mu urged Damdeok to become king, and he trained Damdeok from since his younger days, and he's Damdeok's great-uncle so it's sad to see tension developing between the two as shown in the preview.

Guest farhah1986

I watch episode 46 and if I'm not mistaken...Doyoung might suffer miscarriage..If that really happen then when will Damdeok finally meet with Doyoung?After war with Baekjae ?It because it doesn't seem that they will meet in a short time..According to the history Damdeok first son born after a few years he become a king...so they follow the history,it is possible that Doyoung suffer a miscarriage...Poor Doyoung after all that happen she still worried with Damdeok well being.

Guest honzbear

I watch episode 46 and if I'm not mistaken...Doyoung might suffer miscarriage..If that really happen then when will Damdeok finally meet with Doyoung?After war with Baekjae ?It because it doesn't seem that they will meet in a short time..According to the history Damdeok first son born after a few years he become a king...so they follow the history,it is possible that Doyoung suffer a miscarriage...Poor Doyoung after all that happen she still worried with Damdeok well being.

The drama doesn't follow history exactly so I wouldn't put too much store by the fact that his first born son was born a few years after he becomes king. Gwanggaeto was made crown prince when he was 12 and became king when he was 19, but the drama has it different.

I wonder why Yakyeon doesn't tell Damdeok about Doyoung. Surely he wouldn't have hurt her? He let Go Un go and didn't punish him for taking down his father's head, so I doubt he would have harmed Doyoung or even kept her prisoner. It would have been out of character for him to have taken his anger out on her for what her father did. He probably would have taken her back and made her his queen if he found out where she was (especially as she is carrying his child).

I hope this storyline is resolved soon one way or the other so that we can focus on other stories and other characters.

I watch the preview for episode 47 and it seems that Go Mu and his  men  unhappy with some of Damdeok decision...but I think Damdeok has his  own  reason.As a king he cannot make himself favor one faction more  than  others and I think that is the reason why Go Mu and his men wary  with  Damdeok action...I think YeoSeokgae feeling angry with Go Mu and  the  other generals when Damdeok also present at their party...I guess  it  because all the general pay more respect for Go Mu than the  king  himself..Although sometime Yeoseokgae is a reckless man but he is  honest  with his feeling...I hope Damdeok can solve this  conflict...after all  relationship between Go Mu

I think they include this part because they have to show Damdeok's ascension to the throne is not all smooth-sailing. Remember Cheongun when they first were inaugurated into Goguryeo's military? There were teething problems because the Central Army didn't accept them - Cheongun were hazed and so on..

So I think this episode shows Damdeok asserting his authority and how he does that - without going all-out war with his great-uncle, but more diplomatically and perhaps by showing that he really deserves to be made king and therefore head of the army - by doing something merit-worthy. Probably, at the end of the episode or story, everyone respects him and no one wants to challenge him any more.

That could be what the episode is about. But it seems kind of like a waste of time, a waste of an episode. Not that interesting. And it's kind of uncharacteristic for Go Mu to go against Damdeok. Still, it must be awkward to be subordinate to your grandnephew. It seems kind of weird that Go Mu has to take orders from someone who is much younger than him and whom Go Mu taught as a child (taught him fighting skills etc).

I wonder what set it off.

I wonder if they will continue the Doyoung story in the next two episodes. I think they should because pausing here and not showing what happens to her for two episodes is artificial. And Damdeok looks lonely without a wife. Since he is a king now, he needs a queen by his side. So they need to tie up the Doyoung story - does she return to him or does she die or go away or what?

I don't think Damdeok will listen to the ministers even if they say he should marry again. It hasn't been that long since she's been gone and there is hope that she's alive and can be found (with the discovery of the shoe). I don't think he will marry again unless all hope is lost. So the writers need to either have Doyoung discovered or killed off somehow (through illness or something else) so that we can see Damdeok with a queen by his side or free to choose a new wife.

I don't think it's good that Damdeok goes off on his conquests without a queen at the palace. I think many viewers are tired of the Doyoung story. It's been going on for almost more than 10 episodes. It's not that interesting. I think most viewers of this drama are guys and they do not want to see too much romance or a sobstory type of plot. Neither do I.

I think the drama should close off the PM-treason story and move onto something else.

There is lots more the drama has to relate such as Go Un rising to become emperor of Houyan. I wonder what is happening with Damjoo. She says to Damdeok (in the meadow scene) that she is fully confident that he will rescue her from that situation (being a hostage in Houyan) and take her back to Goguryeo. However, in episode 35 there is a wedding ceremony and that means she is married to Murong Bao. So Damdeok hasn't honored his promise to her that he will save her. She is Murong Bao's wife now although they do not behave like husband and wife in this drama - so she is now tied to Houyan. Maybe when Gwanggaeto invades Houyan he will take her away from her husband and take her back to Goguryeo but the damage has already been done. She is married to Murong Bao and that can't be reversed.

Farhah, you may be right.  Doyoung may have a miscarriage.  Poor thing.  She has to suffer so much for her father's sin.  

I'm actually hoping that her baby is safe.  Her pregnancy is the only comfort to her and for her to stay strong and live on.  She has lost her father.  She is not reunited with her brother.  And she can't reuntie with Damdeok either.  Losing her baby will definitely devastate her further.  Without the baby, how is Doyoung going to move on from here.  I want her to stay in Goguryeo.  I really don't want to see her going through all the suffering again.  But she is a wanted fugitive.

By having to go through all the sufferings, Doyoung will gain sympathy instead of being heartless when she is reunited with Damdeok eventually, which is probably what the writers intend to portray.

Thinking back, it's good that Doyoung did not reunite with Damdeok earlier.  Guksang would have taken her hostage while it would be difficult for Damdeok to kill Guksang in front of Doyoung.  Their relationship would definitely strain and fall apart.  Not that Doyoung will regret marrying Damdeok, it's just too difficult for her to face Damdeok.

Doyoung was attacked and went missing in ep 38.  Since then, both Damdeok and Doyoung have been separated.  Doyoung is so alone without Damdeok by her side now.  So is Damdeok.  In ep 46, Damdeok recalled what Doyoung told him, 'No matter where I am, as long as you are by my side, that place is my country, Goguryeo.'  Damdeok is missing Doyoung.

I guess Yakyeon is trying to protect Doyoung from the possible execution since Guksang commited a grave sin, a treason in which all his family members must be executed.  Although I am still puzzled why she didn't tell Damdeok immediately, his reply may have stopped her from doing so.

For their reunion to come in naturally, there are 2 possibliities.  One, that Damdeok is persuaded by the ministers to remarry since his wife is 'dead'.  Of course Damdeok will object to it.  If Doyoung is dead, where is her body?  But Damdeok knows that she is still alive.  This would probably lead to Yakyeon revealing the truth to Damdeok.

Two, that someone sees the fugitive Doyoung and inform the minister about it.  They have her arrested and to be executed.  Damdeok knows about it and goes to her rescue.

Other possibilites would be that Damdeok sees her at the lake or inn.  Whenever he misses her, he would go there.

So long as Doyoung doesn't leave Goguryeo, the chance of reunion is possible and hopefully soon.  But definitely not in ep 47 and/or 48 since Damdeok is in the military training ground.

You are right, Honzbear.  The writers don't want to make Damdeok ascending to the throne seems too easy and smooth.  Damdeok has to proof that he is not a king who sits comfortably on the throne, just like his father, which I guess makes the generals and even Go Mu uneasy when he visits the training ground.  He wants to continue with what he's good at - fighting.  This probably makes the generals very uncomfortable to have him around and serve him.  It's like giving them more responsiblity to have to protect him as a king now.

Their 'I don't like it' attitude which shows their unhappiness, frustrates the straightforward Yeo Seokgae although Damdeok is patient with them.  There's gonna be some tension among them but Damdeok will be able to solve it and ultimately gains respect from them.

I really hope that Go Un comes to his sense that Damdeok has never had the intention to kill him.  But it would be too late by then.  He's probably killed when the truth is revealed.  Go Un will become Houyan's king in the later episodes.  But why does Fengba thinks so highly of Go Un that he wants him to join the Houyan's force?

Although Damjoo is married to Murong Bao, she is still hoping that Damdeok will rescue her eventually.  That's probably the reason why she refuses to consummate her marriage.  Too bad for Murong Bao to have fallen for her.  She may not be married to Go Un but is probably kill when they realise she is a spy to Damdeok.

Agree with you, Honzbear, Damdeok shouldn't have agreed to Damjoo's marriage to Murong Bao.  But he has to think of Goguryeo and its people.  When the king is ill, the whole dynasty is weak.  Thus it's easier for the enemy to invade its state.  To prevent war, Damdeok has to agree to Houyan's conditon with shame.

Farhah, as much as they try to follow the history, this is afterall a drama.  Thus fictitious story is unavoidable.  In order to have a better understanding of this great king, I go to Wikipedia for more information.  In this drama, Damdeok has proven that he deserves to be a Crown Prince.  Now that he has ascended the throne, I would like to see what makes him a great king when he conquers Houyan, Baekje, Malgal and the rest of the provinces, and how he strengthens Goguryeo.

I don't think Baekje is the first province Damdeok conquers.  Houyan is most likely if he still remembers his promise to Damjoo that he will rescue her soon.  Then Malgal and lastly Baekje.

Guest honzbear

I don't know what these forums you are talking about. As far as I know, this is the most active forum on Gwanggaeto (in English anyway).

I think a story that has gone for more than 10 episodes is dragging. And it looks like it will last a few more episodes too.

Also, the marriage between Damjoo and Murong Bao story is dragging. How do you know the marriage hasn't been consummated? It might not have been but we can't say for sure.

I think the writers shouldn't have introduced these stories. As you have said, the reason that Damdeok did what he did was he was scared Goguryeo would be attacked but he was tricked. And the whole thing makes him look weak, justified though his actions may be. A great king/future king would not have fallen for this kind of trick. If she was a court person, I can understand it, but she wasn't - she was a member of the royal family. Damdeok denies that Goguryeo is paying tribute by taking his sister to Houyan but everyone knows that that is what a tributary state does. So he made Goguryeo a tributary state of Houyan. If they were so worried about not going to war, they shouldn't have provoked Houyan like they did before this situation developed. They should have bid their time until they knew they were very strong before they flaunted their power, demanded compensation and so on and so forth. As I say, the storyline is all wrong and the writers shouldn't have brought it in. They did that because they wanted to show the female characters more and put them in trouble to create some drama, but so far Damdeok hasn't rescued his sister so he looks even worse that he hasn't honored his promise to her. And even if she is rescued later, she looks kind of mean for marrying the Crown Prince and then deserting him and then leaving him to die or whatever. (And she seems to be flirting with him all the time which makes her look bad like she is toying with him.) He is her husband and her loyalty should be to him even though the marriage was forced upon her. That's why she shouldn't have been allowed to marry him in the first place. Damdeok/Gwanggaeto is looking like the worst king in Korea's history, not the best or one of the best.

I don't care about Doyoung. I don't really care who became his wife so long as she was a good wife to him and supported him throughout the marriage and didn't act all weak and in need of rescue all the time. Her story is dragging. I think she's caused Damdeok a lot of problems and she's starting to pull him down ... he is a king now and can't be concerned with domestic problems. I don't think she's a strong enough queen for Damdeok. And I think it's unrealistic to be still worried that Damdeok or the ministers want her executed. No harm came to Go Un. Or to Yeon Salta. It's not that kind of situation. Besides, I think in the last episode Damdeok put to rest all that kind of talk about executing/arresting family members. I think he said if he does that, he will have to arrest and kill Yeon Salta too, and he's not going to do that, or something like that.

I think once again it was a mistake to have his wife be the PM's daughter. It produces too many complications in their relationship. I don't think their relationship can ever be the same again as too many bad things have happened between their families, even if they try hard to smooth things over ... it is unnatural that they go on the same as before. Doyoung didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to pay for the PM's crimes or sins so I am not talking about that; I mean it's awkward and strained in their relationship because of what happened to family members on both sides. So even though they have the best of intentions and are willing to help each other to the max, it still doesn't erase the feelings that they must be experiencing over the past traumas, and their partner's connection to them, and this will cast a pall over their marriage. It would be the same in any marriage where the partners have experienced the same things as Damdeok and Doyoung have.

So for that reason I think the writers shouldn't have Doyoung become his queen even if she suffers many trials and tribulations to get back to his side. She is still her father's daughter and can't turn her back on him completely no matter how much she tries. Same with Damdeok. His mother and his uncle died because of the PM. So there will be a gulf between them there. But who knows what the writers have planned for this story? They killed off Dammang in a bizarre way, with an unbelievable storyline that he wanted to remove himself so that Damdeok could be crown prince or something like that.

As I said, if they meet again and live happily ever after, it would seem strange and rather callous of Doyoung especially. What her brother is going through is more natural. He can't stay in Goguryeo because of what happened. Even though he knows his father was in the wrong, he can't help himself from taking down his head and so on .... And I don't want Gwanggaeto to have an unhappy traumatized queen. And if she carries on as before (that is happy and content), I don't think it would be realistic. I don't know what the writers are going to do, but I think they don't have many good choices. If they have Doyoung return, I doubt that the state of their marriage will be that good even if the writers make out that it is. If she dies, Damdeok will be single again and it wouldn't be good for him to marry again at this stage because there is no one appropriate for him to marry: there are only Yakyeon (his aunt/cousin) and Seolji (from another tribe) left. Even though both women have been good to him, it's just not realistic for him to marry either of these two women.

So as far as I am concerned, the romance story/wife story/Damjoo story has not gone in the direction I would have liked to have seen. It distracts from the main thrust of the drama which is that Gwanggaeto was a great king (and crown prince). It makes him look not so great, and actually careless and easy to fool and willing to sell out family members and be lacking in pride and honor and be unable to protect family members (two so far - Doyoung and Damjoo - and perhaps his mother also). Also, he looks pathetic without a queen now that he is a king.

I think the writers should get away from the domestic/female angles (resolve these storylines quickly and definitively) and concentrate more on matters that concern national security and return the drama to its original character. The drama was very exciting in the first few episodes. I don't really feel sorry for the characters who don't get themselves out of bad situations and just continue getting deeper and deeper into trouble. Everyone else, especially Damdeok and his men, are doing their best to protect Goguryeo, even being prepared to lay down their lives, so for one character to always be weak and helpless and needing the help of others is a character I do not really admire. Doyoung helped out Damdeok in the past, but after the marriage she isn't pulling her weight any more and is dragging down others.

I feel sorry for Yakyeon. She is a strong character whose brother was murdered by the PM and she is very brave too risking her life in many battles. But now she has to look after Doyoung and involve herself in this matter even though she is still grieving over the death of her brother. I wonder why the writers chose Yakyeon to be the one whom the smithy notifies of Doyoung's presence. Is it because she is a woman? All the women in Damdeok's life with a romantic interest in him are strong women except Doyoung. So Doyoung doesn't fit the story.

I also wonder why Yakyeon keeps Doyoung's presence in Guknaeseong a secret from Damdeok.

Guest honzbear

Im sure, at the end, Doyoung's child will be blessed with a very long life.

If her child is Jangsu, he does indeed live a long life.

King Jangsu died in 491, at the age of 97. His temple name means "long life" in hanja. During his reign, Goguryeo was at its golden age, stretching from Mongolia to Chungju.

Together with his father King Gwanggaeto the Great, he is also sometimes referred to as Emperor Jangsu the Great.

From Wikipedia.

BTW, I caught Jang Shin Young in another drama on SBS today. Perhaps that's why she dropped out of Gwanggaeto. She might have wanted to free herself for this other drama. It seems as if she's the main character in this drama too. It might have been a bigger role for her than the role she had in the sageuk where she would have been overshadowed by Damdeok and not been in every episode of the drama.

She has appeared in many dramas even though I wouldn't call her that attractive. However, she seems favored by many PDs for some reason. Maybe they like her personality or she's easy to work with or something. Maybe she has connections.

I think things turned out for the best. She has a big mouth and a big smile and always looks cheerful which doesn't suit a historical drama but which fits a contemporary one. And she dropped out of the drama very early before the viewers had a chance to get to know her.

I don't like Damdeok's look as king if the posters and previews are any indication. He looks much older as a king. I hope they won't change his look too much when he becomes king.

f88a68c274cf404321bfa0fa9c23de96_large.jpg

They have this new character that I've seen a lot with Cheongun. I think he's supposed to fill the spot left empty by the actor who played Dol Bisu.

After the prime minister's revolt has been put down, Gwanggaeto has gone back to being less interesting. Also, I didn't really like the way it happened - by brute force by Go Mu's army coming in. It was too easy. There was nothing clever about it. You would have thought the PM would have made contingency plans in case Go Mu came back. It seems the guards at the gate just let him and his army in. What was the point of Guksang going to all the trouble of committing treason if his revolt be so easily overturned by Go Mu's army?

On the other hand, Guksang was close to getting the royal seal from the king. If he had been handed over the royal seal before Go Mu had come in, could Go Mu have done anything? Wouldn't protocol bind Go Mu to following Guksang's (now King) command? I'm not sure about this. Maybe that's why everyone was urging the king not to capitulate and hand over the royal seal. Perhaps Guksang was relying on getting the royal seal before Go Mu arrived, using Damdeok's capture to get the seal from the King.

I think Fengba wants to recruit Go Un to Houyan's side because Go Un is a Goguryeo citizen and could be useful to them. He has much insider knowledge having been the son of the PM. Also, he's smart so can be helpful from that point of view. And Fengba's had a soft spot for him ever since Go Un went to see him at the horse stables although he now knows those visits were part of a scheme.

In real history, Murong Bao plots against his father, the emperor, because the emperor favors his younger brother to be the crown prince over him. Murong Bao is already the crown prince so if the drama follows history in this part, Murong Bao does something to be demoted. (We saw earlier that there was possible competition between the two brothers by what happened in some scenes. The younger brother spoke up a couple of times on behalf of younger princes.) So because he is dissatisfied with this, Murong Bao creates a conspiracy to dethrone the emperor and make himself emperor in his place. Go Un learns of the plot somehow and he foils Murong Bao. The emperor is grateful to Go Un and decides to adopt him. Thus Go Un's position is elevated. Then the emperor dies and the emperor's brother takes the throne. However, he doesn't last long as emperor because he is unpopular due to his tyranny. He is toppled somehow, and Go Un winds up as emperor.

If Go Un turns into an enemy of Damdeok, there will be another black cloud over the relationship between Doyoung and Damdeok. First off it was her father that created problems, and now it is her brother.

Somehow Baekje will start to pose a threat to Goguryeo. I like the Baekje characters: Asin, the general and a couple of others associated with him. They saved Doyoung and behaved civilly to her despite knowing that she is from Goguryeo. You can understand their wish to defend their kingdom and why they would try and form an alliance with Houyan. But under Gwanggaeto, Goguryeo eventually defeats them in battle, pushing their northern border far back to Chungju (located in the middle of South Korea).

Gwanggaeto captured the Baekje capital in present-day Seoul and made Baekje its vassal.

So even though Baekje was not completely destroyed, it effectively became a vassal state of Goguryeo. (Asin becomes king later in the drama and it is against him that Gwanggaeto fights.)

In 392, with Gwanggaeto in personal command, Goguryeo attacked Baekje  with 50,000 cavalry, taking 10 walled cities along the two countries'  mutual border. This offensive infuriated King Asin of Baekje  and he subsequently planned a counter-offensive against Gwanggaeto, a  plan he was forced to abandon when his invasion force was defeated by  Goguryeo in 393. King Asin again attacked Goguryeo in 394, and was again  defeated. After several heavy defeats, Baekje began to politically  crumble and the leadership of Asin came under doubt. Baekje was defeated  by Goguryeo again in 395, and was eventually pushed back to a front  along the Han River, where Wiryeseong was, then its capital city located in the southern part of modern day Seoul. In the following year, Gwanggaeto led his huge fleet in an assault on Wiryeseong,  approaching by sea and river. Asin was expecting a ground invasion and  was caught with his defenses down. Gwanggaeto's forces burnt about 58  walled fortresses under Baekje control, and defeated the forces of King  Asin. Asin surrendered to Gwanggaeto, even handing over his brother as a  Goguryeo captive as condition for maintaining his own rule over Baekje.  Gwanggaeto had finally gained superiority over its longtime rival  Baekje on the Korean peninsula.

After this, Baekje finally disappears after Silla conquers it, in the 7th century. The last wars which Baekje fought (with Silla) are the subject of the sageuk, "Gyebaek".

It looks like Silla was the main (secret) enemy of Goguryeo all along. Goguryeo should never have saved Silla from her enemies, the Wa and Baekje, in retrospect, or ... should have taken over control of the Silla state completely instead of just making it a tributary state. Silla was the nation that eventually brought down Goguryeo and caused the loss of large amounts of territory to other (non-proto Korean) nations like China, Manchuria etc. 

There were many campaigns against Later Yan until they were more or less subdued. At that point, Goguryeo sent over a peace delegation to Later Yan while Go Un was emperor.

In 408, the Emperor sent a peace delegate to Gao Yun, then ruler of Later Yan/Northern Yan,  to broker a settlement between the two dynasties, because Gao Yun  descended from the Goguryeo royal house as well. Goguryeo control over  the Liaoning region remained strong until the Tang Dynasty seized the area as a part of its war against Goguryeo in the late 7th century.

It seems Go Un was open to the overtures because it says in Wikipedia:

Gao Yun also sent messengers to Goguryeo to affirm the relationship.

So I don't think the two fought during their reigns in real history.  I am not sure if they fight in the drama, but if what the actor who plays Go Un says is true, they do.

Wikipedia says Goguryeo retained control of the area until the late 7th century.

The order of wars is Baekje first, Later Yan next and the Malgal last according to Wikipedia. The Houyan state ended in 407 or 409 under Go Un's reign. But another Wikipedia page says Fengba becomes emperor after Go Un, but this might have been of another state, the Northern Yan.

[Feng Ba] came to respect Murong Bao's adoptive son Murong Yun the Duke of Zhaoyang, and they became great friends.

So the drama is accurate in showing a friendship develop between Fengba and Go Un. (Go Un is Murong Yun.)

The drama has to show all of this in the remaining episodes.

Guest honzbear

I rewatched some recent episodes more carefully and here are some thoughts. After the rebels are executed, the prince meets with the generals and soldiers from Ansiseong and Cheongun. General Haemowol tells him that he needs to deal with family members of the traitors. If he doesn't they might take revenge against him. All the others including Hwang Hwe agree. Sagal Hyeon says Damdeok has to think of the future because they might seek revenge not now but later. Yeoseokgae agrees with him. Damdeok says, "So I should kill Yeon Salta?" ridiculing the idea. His men urge him more to round up family members and Damdeok says, "That means I have to punish Doyoung. Just drop the idea. I am not going to do it." They argue a little more but Damdeok remains firm.

So it is out of the question that Damdeok will punish any family member of the traitors even though the men close to him think he should do so.

In the part where the king announces to everyone that he is going to give up the throne to Damdeok, everyone acts shocked and upset and they beg him not to do that. Then shortly after this, they go to Damdeok and tell him he should take up the king's offer and become king. I just thought it was funny how the ministers and generals all express one thing to the king but behind his back they express another.

Also, Damdeok knows it is the Malgal that tried to kidnap his wife. In episode 38, one of the soldiers that escaped the Malgal's attack tells him this.

Reading some other forums, I hear a few people say that Song Il Gook or Lee Seo Jin should have been given the role of Damdeok over Lee Tae Gon. I say, no way. Song Il Gook was good in Jumong and Emperor of the Sea - those roles are his forever and I don't think anyone else could have done a better job in them than him. As for Lee Seo Jin, I saw him a little in Gyebaek and in some contemporary drama and he seems to play characters that are the strong and silent type and slightly brooding - actually he and Song Il Gook are quite similar in their characterizations of the roles they play.

Lee Tae Gon brings a much-needed fresh perspective as a new sageuk king. He plays Damdeok as the tough guy, which I haven't seen any other actor do. Damdeok is a very masculine guy - he is not a touchy-feely introspective person. He's not overly emotive, except when showing aggression, and he doesn't cry easily. He seems to be a master of his feelings and someone who is in control of himself. Also, he is very much into action as a king/prince. He leads a very active life and is prepared to roll up his sleeves and get involved in brawls. Being a physical ed major, I think this kind of physical role is right down Lee Tae Gon's line. He does all the fighting scenes with a flourish; he does them very well. So this king is different to the others I've seen. Damdeok is a man's man - gruff voice, rough, physically powerful. (However, the role of Damdeok isn't all physical; Damdeok shows his smarts a few times, eg. figuring out that the Houyan emperor would try and escape by switching clothes with one of his men, and then following him and almost catching and killing him. Also, his realizing that he should trust Haemowol and therefore his laying down his sword and surrendering his men to this general .. and turning out to be right.)

I can also say he makes a very arrogant king. When he watches executions, while everyone else is looking a bit disturbed and looks away at the crucial moment, Lee Tae Gon looks steadily on with cold eyes without flinching. I've seen that several times now. In fact, he has the cold stare down pat. He uses his eyes a lot to express his emotions.

So I'm glad that it's LTG who is Damdeok and not either of the two other actors.

Guest katherinekang

Yes, Honzbear, you are right in rounding off the episodes beautifully. I like and valued your comments very much. They make the drama more exciting.

You are also right, Lee Tae Gon is suitably suited for the role of King Gwanggaeto. His role-playing into the part is very realistic, which makes this drama more so. Song Il Guk and Lee Seo Jin are fantastic actors (In fact, my other idol is Song Il Guk) SIG may carry out the part well but LTG is more suitable.

I am glad I have the opportunity to watch this drama. At the beginning, when not many people was aware of KGTG, this thread was heading for a slow and dying death. But now, I am not surprised that we are enlightened by the response and comments.

I am impressed by the role-playing by many of the actors and actresses and their deep passion in their profession in bringing good reviews and rates (I believe it is now 22%). I wish they will keep in good shape and health towards the end.

Guest honzbear

Hey Katherine, it's good to see you here. Thanks for your cheering comments. I like to read all the comments here too.

I think I made a mistake with my interpretation of next weekend's preview. It seems that there is no problem between Damdeok and his great-uncle, Go Mu. In fact, Go Mu seems to be supporting him restore order and control the problem brewing among the soldiers.

In the scene in the battle practice ground, Go Mu has his back to Damdeok but his daughter and someone else are standing on either side of him and they also have their backs turned to Damdeok. They probably have their backs turned because they are looking at a group of soldiers who are being disruptive.

I don't know why the soldiers are behaving like that. At the meeting shown early on in the preview, Haemowol seems displeased about something, and Mo Duyeong is saying something angrily. There might be an argument between the two.

At the banquet, Damdeok seems to be trying to get factions together and have them get along. He proposes a toast. Go Mu picks up his goblet first, and the others all raise theirs. There seem to be Haemowol's men on one side of the banquet table and Go Mu and his men on the other side. The Ansiseong people are new arrivals to Guknaeseong. And the Ansiseong people probably look down on the Guknaeseong people for not stopping the PM from starting the revolt. And they chafe at being under the command of Go Mu, the Dae Janggun, who is the leader of the old faction. On the other hand, the Guknaeseong old guard don't like having these new people barge in on their turf. These things could be behind the conflict.

Actually, I think this will prove to be an exciting episode. I want to see what the squabbling is about and who it's between. 

Guest farhah1986

Hey Katherine, it's good to see you here. Thanks for your cheering comments. I like to read all the comments here too.

I think I made a mistake with my interpretation of next weekend's preview. It seems that there is no problem between Damdeok and his great-uncle, Go Mu. In fact, Go Mu seems to be supporting him restore order and control the problem brewing among the soldiers.

In the scene in the battle practice ground, Go Mu has his back to Damdeok but his daughter and someone else are standing on either side of him and they also have their backs turned to Damdeok. They probably have their backs turned because they are looking at a group of soldiers who are being disruptive.

I don't know why the soldiers are behaving like that. At the meeting shown in the preview, Haemowol seems displeased about something, and Mo Duyeong is saying something angrily. There might be an argument between the two.

At the banquet, Damdeok seems to be trying to get factions together and have them get along. He proposes a toast. Go Mu picks up his goblet first, and the others all raise theirs. There seem to be Haemowol's men on one side of the banquet table and Go Mu and his men on the other side. The Ansiseong people are new arrivals to Guknaeseong. And the Ansiseong people probably look down on the Guknaeseong people for not stopping the PM from starting the revolt. And they chafe being under the command of Go Mu, the Dae Janggun, who is the leader of the old faction. On the other hand, the Guknaeseong old guard don't like having these new people barge in on their turf. These things could be behind the conflict.

Actually, I think this will prove to be an exciting episode. I want to see what the squabbling is about and who it's between. 

Well maybe what you said is true...there may be some problem arise between Go Mu and haemowol faction...I hope Damdeok able to solve it...What I'm curious about right now is Doyoung and Go Chang...How long the writer intend to make Doyoung suffer? And how about Go Chang.....I hope he won't be the second Guksang like Gae Yeon Su,will he change or not...Did you see Yeon Salta in the preview? I wonder how he is doing,will he continue serve Damdeok or not.

I read one article before about this drama that Damdeok will loss so many thing especially family member and being betrayed by the person he trust...I wonder the part of being betrayed meaning what...Is it Guksang, Go Un later on or Yeon Salta suddenly turn against Damdeok? But it seem impossible for Yeon Salta turn against Damdeok because he himself offering to be executed.

Archived