[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

Guest honzbear

The age of a person isn't necessarily determined by their relationship to someone. Anyway, Yakyeon isn't Damdeok's aunt, she's his cousin - Go Mu is Damdeok's great-uncle. Go Mu must have had Yakyeon later on in life so she ended up around the age that she is which is at a guess, around the same age as Damdeok. The actress who plays Yakyeon is younger than Damdeok. Even if Yakyeon was his aunt, you can have aunts who are younger, older or the same age as their nephews. Aunts aren't always older than their nephews.

It's got to be said that the drama isn't following real history. Damdeok was made crown prince when he was 12. The drama shows Damdeok being made crown prince when he is an adult.

It's hard to say what will happen in this drama. I guess I like its unpredictability. I don't like the focus on the romance aspect; I would like to see more about what happens on the battle field. Even though I like the Damdeok character, I do not really look forward to seeing his enemies killed. I don't feel vengeful toward them. They have their reasons for doing what they did. And some of the characters have grown on me.

Even the PM's death was tragic in a way. But that's me. Others obviously feel differently.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest katherinekang

Sorry dear, but Yakyeon is Damdeok's aunt cos her father is brother to King Gogugwon. King Gogugwon is father to Sosurim and Gogugyang. And Gogugyang is Damdeok's father so she is the aunt. I think you should remember that Damdeok calls Go Mu grandfather so Go Mu is Damdeok's father 's uncle. Therefore, Yakyeon is cousin to Damdeok's father. Gee whiz, I sound like a broken record.

Anyway, since this drama is half fictional half facts, we will sit back and enjoy Damdeok slashing, slicing and gashing at his enemies. Honestly, the three pigs (SoDoan, Fengba and Murong Bao) should die tragically under Damdeok's hands. I am not keen on the romance of Damdeok only on his achievements.

The writers have one achievement in this drama, they are driving everyone crazy with suspense.

Guest honzbear

Sorry dear, but Yakyeon is Damdeok's aunt cos her father is brother to King Gogugwon. King Gogugwon is father to Sosurim and Gogugyang. And Gogugyang is Damdeok's father so she is the aunt. I think you should remember that Damdeok calls Go Mu grandfather so Go Mu is Damdeok's father 's uncle. Therefore, Yakyeon is cousin to Damdeok's father. Gee whiz, I sound like a broken record.

Yakyeon isn't Damdeok's aunt because she isn't the sister of either of his parents. That's the definition of "aunt". She is his cousin once-removed. And she is Damdeok's father's first cousin.

I am the one who pointed out in the thread that Go Mu is probably not Damdeok's grandfather even though he is called "grandfather" in the drama.

Go Mu is Damdeok's great-uncle which makes Yakyeon Damdeok's cousin once-removed, not his aunt.

Damdeok probably had dozens of wives and hundreds of concubines in real life.

I am really surprised that Damdeok is going to marry Yakyeon (if the preview is showing us the correct thing and isn't misdirecting us). I hope there is some love in that marriage and he isn't doing it simply out of duty. I know Yakyeon has feelings for him so it would be horrible for her if he had no feelings for her.

My prediction now that it looks like the charts on the KBS site actually DO show marriage lines: Doyoung gives birth to Jangsu. She marries Asin and dies before the drama finishes – Damdeok is eventually reunited with his long-lost son like in Jumong. I think he meets Doyoung one last time before she dies. We are supposed to feel really sad and weep over that scene. In next weeks' episode: Damdeok marries Yakyeon because he needs a suitable queen. She passes on. Then he marries Seolji because he wants to have good relations with the Mohe.

Murong Bao dies, and Damjoo marries Go Un either before or after he becomes emperor of Houyan.

It seems like KGTG is turning into one of those American day-time soap operas where there is a lot of marrying, remarrying, wife-swapping, husband-swapping etc. Also, the romance story is becoming very similar to Jumong's. Ack ... don't like it. I didn't like the story in Jumong of the first wife and I don't like the story here of Doyoung in KGTG. It spoils the drama for me.

Honestly, the three pigs (SoDoan, Fengba and Murong Bao) should die tragically under Damdeok's hands.

Katherine, I quite like these three characters. They seem to be this sageuk's version of the Three Stooges. They are always thinking of a new scheme to get Damdeok and every one of them inevitably falls apart. I mean, which scheme has worked out for them? The mirror his father gave him saved Damdeok from Feng Ba's poison arrow. The woman he met while he was about to play the flute saved his life by telling him to not play it if it made him feel sad. Then Dammang decided he was going to turn himself into a human porcupine and catch all the arrows intended for Damdeok ... Then Doyoung gets rescued by Seolji and the Mohe lose her ... then just as they are about to catch her again, the Baekje show up and she is saved from the Mohe again ...  Then the scheme to entrap Damdeok while they are in Goguryeo for the marriage of Damjoo and Crown Prince fails when the Houyan king remembers that Damdeok tried to protect him, and his suspicions start to turn onto his own family ...

What goes right for this bumbling trio?

Poor Murong Bo, Damju treats him so unkindly. He is in love with her and tries to make her happy by giving her presents and speaking nicely to her and all she does is act like a cat with him ... spitting and clawing ...

As for Feng Ba he is the Houyan's human pinata. He gets all the blame for everything that goes wrong. And he never follows the golden rule: bring the head. It's not enough to see blood spurting out or watch Damdeok falling off a cliff .. you gotta bring the head before you can claim he's dead. The guy is a ghost general; he has nine lives it seems, so without the head you have to assume he's alive.

SeolDoan just wants the Malgal to get more land; he's sick and tired of the big guys pushing his tribe around. But no one shows his tribe any respect. He is forced to make alliances with people he doesn't care for because his tribe is smallish and poorly armed. And now his sister has joined the Goguryeo team! The guy can't get a break.

You know who creeps me out? The slave merchant ... he was so oily and nasty. Real greedy about money - no principles at all. He wanted to skin Damdeok alive to show others what happened to slaves that escaped. I couldn't stand him. Whenever he appears on the screen I cringe. I hate his voice and the sound of his laughing. He must be a good actor because he's made me dislike his character very much.

I don't want Go Chang to be the 'bad guy' in this drama. I don't want him to take Gae Yeon Su's place as chief troublemaker for Damdeok inside Goguryeo. I don't think he does. I think he feels resentment about something but I don't know what it is. It is too much out of character for him to start doing bad things against Damdeok. I hope the writers do not pursue this angle and I hope they minimize the internal squabbling as much as possible.

Guest farhah1986

My prediction now that it looks like the charts on the KBS site actually DO show marriage lines: Doyoung gives birth to Jangsu. She marries Asin and dies before the drama finishes – Damdeok is eventually reunited with his long-lost son like in Jumong. I think he meets Doyoung one last time before she dies. We are supposed to feel really sad and weep over that scene. In next weeks' episode: Damdeok marries Yakyeon because he needs a suitable queen. She passes on. Then he marries Seolji because he wants to have good relations with the Mohe.

Did you really think doyoung child survive?Its because I think when Doyoung faint, Yakyeon tell her that her child is not survive...I don't really understand korean but there some of the word indicate that happen...It will be great if her child survive..Damdeok definitely need a queen before he go for battle...and Doung gone missing didn't give him much choice no matter how he miss Doyoung...Actually I hope this matter wrap up quickly because I'm more interested to see Damdeok in the battle field.

Guest honzbear

Did you really think doyoung child survive?Its because I think when Doyoung faint, Yakyeon tell her that her child is not survive...I don't really understand korean but there some of the word indicate that happen...It will be great if her child survive..Damdeok definitely need a queen before he go for battle...and Doung gone missing didn't give him much choice no matter how he miss Doyoung...Actually I hope this matter wrap up quickly because I'm more interested to see Damdeok in the battle field.

I think the child does survive otherwise there would have been no point in making Doyoung pregnant in this drama. Yeah, it looks like it's going the way of Jumong unfortunately. I didn't like the Yesoya and Yuri story in Jumong and I don't like the Doyoung is lost story here in this drama. It's a bit overused this storyline. I want to see some more action instead of this. I want to see Damdeok fighting, winning over or tricking his enemies.

I don't think he kills Seoldoan. Damdeok could have killed him a couple of times before when he defeated the Mohe but he always let him go free without any conditions. Somehow that made Seoldoan hate him more ...

I think by the time Damdeok confronts Seoldoan for the final time he is married to Seolji and it is she who persuades him to not kill her brother. This time Seoldoan loses his grudge and there is peace between the Mohe and Goguryeo.

Guest farhah1986

I think the child does survive otherwise there would have been no point in making Doyoung pregnant in this drama. Yeah, it looks like it's going the way of Jumong unfortunately. I didn't like the Yesoya and Yuri story in Jumong and I don't like the Doyoung is lost story here in this drama. It's a bit overused this storyline. I want to see some more action instead of this. I want to see Damdeok fighting, winning over or tricking his enemies.

I don't think he kills Seoldoan. Damdeok could have killed him a couple of times before when he defeated the Mohe but he always let him go free without any conditions. Somehow that made Seoldoan hate him more ...

I think by the time Damdeok confronts Seoldoan for the final time he is married to Seolji and it is she who persuades him to not kill her brother. This time Seoldoan loses his grudge and there is peace between the Mohe and Goguryeo.

Somehow what you said is true...whats the point of making Doyoung pregnant earlier if finally she suffer miscarriage...Is it just to make Doyoung more pitiful?  Just like you I'm more interested to see Damdeok in battle and I'm tired seeing all these internal struggle..Damdeok need to win in war to gain respect from his subordinate and make him more powerful...

Somehow what you said is true...whats the point of making Doyoung pregnant earlier if finally she suffer miscarriage...Is it just to make Doyoung more pitiful?  Just like you I'm more interested to see Damdeok in battle and I'm tired seeing all these internal struggle..Damdeok need to win in war to gain respect from his subordinate and make him more powerful...

i like Doyoung so it makes me sad to post the translations of the scene in epi 46 that a very nice and kind lady did for me. i hope she doesn't mind that i'm sharing it. i can't really thank her enough.

i read that, Oh Ji Eun, the actress who is portraying the character Doyoung has another project so probably the writers have Doyoung lost her baby and they will write off her character.

translations:

Yakyeon: Are you feeling awake, Your Highness, Crown Princess?

Doyoung: Miss Yakyeon?

YY: Yes, it's me. It's great relief. Such great relief indeed.

DY: Then, my father did not abandon his greed, until the end?

YY: (saying nothing).

DY: Crown Prince, His Highess... is he alright?

YY: Yes, he is fine.DY: It's a relief.

YY: (saying nothing).

DY: (tries to get up)

YY: You cannot move around carelessly.

DY: I must get up. I, as well, as the daughter of a traitor, shall pay for my offense.

YY: You can't. Your current physical condition... you've lost the baby.

DY: (shock)

YY: A doctor came by secretly. Due to great trauma...

DY: (wail)

YY comes out and tells the men not to let anyone know about DY being there and soon she will send medication.The men are afraid they will be killed if someone finds out, but YY says she will take up the responsibility and no one will know as long as they say nothing.

in episode 47, another nice lady did a little bit translation(which she did before the translations above so i had hope that Doyoung didn't have miscarriage) for me the scene wherein Doyoung was talking to herself before YY came into the room. she's not very fluent yet in english so it wasn't very clear. her translation was, "Doyoung wants to save the baby" so probably Doyoung said, "she wanted to save the baby".

i like Doyoung so it makes me sad to post the translations of the scene in epi 46 that a very nice and kind lady did for me. i hope she doesn't mind that i'm sharing it. i can't really thank her enough.

in episode 47, another nice lady did a little bit translation(which she did before the translations above so i had hope that Doyoung didn't have miscarriage) for me the scene wherein Doyoung was talking to herself before YY came into the room. she's not very fluent yet in english so it wasn't very clear. her translation was, "Doyoung wants to save the baby" so probably Doyoung said, "she wanted to save the baby".

Viktoria, thanks for the translations. Greatly appreciated.

I was kind of confused initially about the baby's part, whether Doyoung has lost her baby or not.

But when I watched ep 47 again, I believe that Doyoung had indeed lost her baby. In ep 47, she was holding on to her tummy, feeling sad and apologetic, talking to herself that she had so much wanted to protect or safe her baby, only to lose him in the end.

That's probably why she has decided to forgo her position and title as the crown prince's wife for the sake of Goguryeo, knowing well that the people will not accept a traitor's daughter to be their future queen. She left the blacksmith's house so that Yakyeon will not be able to find her. Doyoung would rather live a commoner's life in Goguryeo, hoping to find her brother and reunites with him. She and Go Un can then leave Goguryeo for good and reside in an unknown place where people don't recognise them anymore.

I don't see why Doyoung should marry Asin unless she is taken hostage by Go Chang, to be killed so that Yakyeon's marriage to Damdeok will succeed. The presence of Doyoung would only prevent Go Chang's plot to obtain power from Damdeok. Asin saves Doyoung yet again and brings her back to Baekje. To forget Damdeok completely, she marries Asin. But then, how can she marry to another man when she loves Damdeok so dearly? I hope the script is not written in this way because I still want to see the reunion of Damdeok and Doyoung.

One viewer in another forum called Damdeok and Doyoung's marriage as a political marriage. Sorry, but I beg to differ. Yes, initally. But Damdeok has objected to it, citing Houyan and Baekje had something up their sleeves and he wanted it settled and thus postponed his marriage. But when he realised that he actually loved Doyoung, he married her without regrets.

On the contrary, it is for Yakyeon, her marriage to Damdeok. Does Damdeok really love her as he has for Doyoung? The ministers have pressed for Damdeok to take a queen because the court needs one and for the sake of Goguryeo's stability. Go Chang takes this opportunity to press Yakyeon to Damdeok since there is only one lady in the imperial house so far. Well, not forgetting Seolji of course but she is a Malgal.

Thus I wonder, for the Magals to come to a compromise with Goguryeo, will there be another political mariage between Damdeok and Seolji in the end? Well, that's what the chart has indicated, regarding the 3 red lines towards Damdeok.

I actually dislike any king to have more than 1 wife, no matter how great he was.

I hope the writer and director woulnd't kill Doyoung's character just like that, so that Oh Ji Eun can take up another new project. Jo An also has 2 projects on hand, currently. So I hope OJE can continue with KGTG. However, if they must kill her character off, then I would prefer that Doyoung dies in an honourable way, just like Damdeok's mother when she tried to protect him from the arrow. It's also a good way to pay for her father's sin.

If Damdeok will to marry Yakyeon, then I would rather that Doyoung dies instead. With Baekje invading Goguryeo soon, Doyoung may have sacrificed her life for Asin when Damdeok tries to kill him. Asin once saved her life. It's a way to repay him. But it could be the other way round when she tries to protect Damdeok from Asin.

It could be that when the news of Damdeok's impending marriage to Yakyeon has spreaded around the village, it is the last straw for Go Un. To him, it goes to show how heartless Damdeok is towards Doyoung when she is still alive today and that he has forsaken her and even forgotten her. No matter what Guksang had done wrong, Doyoung is innocent, thus she shouldn't be punished in such a humiliating way by dethroning her and 'dumping her'. That's probably the reason why he has dcided to join the Houyan to go against Damdeok, to avenge for his sister. I actually wish that Go Un finds Doyoung and takes her to faraway place, instead of ploting a revenge against Damdeok. I like Go Un thus I don't wish to see him turning bad and going against Damdeok and his own people. They were such good friends and Go Un had always been loyal towards Damdeok and the royal family. I like Go Un's faithful servants too, they have never left his side even though he is now a commoner.

As for Go Chang, looking back, he was always against Guksang. My guess is that Go Chang wants power for himself and is not happy with Guksang obtaining more power than anyone else. Now that Guksang is out of his sight once and for all (his demise), and with his father not promoted as the new Prime Minister, he is mad with his father for not opposing against his new post and maintaining the power. Being hungry for more power, he gets the ministers to press Damdeok to get another wife and he suggests Yakyeon as the right candidate to be the next Queen. Ep 49 actually sees his arrogance when the ministers congragulate him on his sister's impending marriage to the king. What is becoming of Go Chang? He is like the 2nd Guksang now, hungry for power.

Thus if Go Chang knows about Doyoung's being alive today. He will have her silenced in order that his plot to obtain power through his sister's marriage succeeds. Doyoung will have to run for her life once again unless she is captured. I hope that Yeon Salta, Yeo Seokgae or any of Damdeok's men finds out about Doyoung being alive when Ojang, the inn lady and the others talks about the king's impending marriage and accidently mention about Doyoung, like, 'what will happen to her if Damdeok marries again?'. They probably pity her. Everyone knows that she is still alive but has left. I also hope that they would reveal about Yakyeon's knowing of Doyoung's existence too.

With Go Chang trying to kill Doyoung, partly because of achieving power through Yakyeon's marriage, and partly to avenge for his brother's death, I hope by then Damdeok comes to know about Doyoung's existence and with her life in danger, goes to her rescue on time. With this happening, I do not know whether Damdeok will still go ahead with his marriage to Yakyeon although Doyoung would urge him not to humiliate Yakyeon's pride by forsaking her since the marriage has already been announced publicly.

Nevertheless, I'm still hoping for Damdeok and Doyoung's reunion to be soon, in ep 50 or 51 perhaps? and that Damdeok will not have more than 1 wife. I hope to see how he will protect Doyoung as promised, when she is captured.

Watching ep 40 in KBS World, I actually miss Guksang. He was a good PM until he became hungry for more power and being deprived of that power when Damdeok had become the crown king. But when he was accused by Go Chang of joining hands with the Houyan people by framing Damdeok, and with his daughter's presumed death and the pressing of his own men for a solution before a war broke up in Goguryeo, he decided that it was time to take charges just to show he was not a pushover and be treated as a criminal. I love the part when he grieved for his daughter and said that there was only one who could accuse him of his sin, ie Doyoung. I don't think that Guksang actually wanted a revolt if not for Go Chang's direct accusation. That was his last straw, to be humiliated like a criminal.

We will see another internal struggle this coming week, I guess. Until Damdeok is able to stablise the ministers, he can then go to the battle against his enemy. But Baekje would probably attack Goguryeo too.

translations:

DY: (tries to get up)

YY: You cannot move around carelessly.

DY: I must get up. I, as well, as the daughter of a traitor, shall pay for my offense.

Viktoria, I'm getting confused again after reading your post once more.  blush.gif

Doyoung said that she had to get up and as the traitor's daughter, she had to pay for her offence.  Knowing well that if she is captured by the soldiers or ministers, it's likely she would be punished and executed.  But didn't she want to save or protect her baby?  How then can she do so if she surrenders herself to the authority?

Watching ep 46 & 47 again and again, it's obvious she has a miscarriage because Yakyeon talked about her baby.  Yakyeon has a negative expression which means that it's not a good news for Doyoung.  But it can also be that Doyoung was shocked because she nearly lost her baby due to her grief.

In one of the forums which I surf, there isn't any mentioning about Doyoung's miscarriage.  That's why I'm actually hoping that Doyoung has a near miscarriage but managed to save her baby.  She left the blacksmith house so as to protect her baby and also not to get Ojang and Yakyeon into troubles.  I'm also hoping that the baby survives so that the reunion of Damdeok and Doyoung is make possible and that Doyoung's position and title will be secured.

I still don't understand why Yakyeon hasn't told Damdeok about Doyoung when she has every opportunity to.

I'm hoping that Yakyeon didn't know about Doyoung's pregnancy.  Because if she knows of Doyoung's pregnancy unless she has a miscarriage, by agreeing to marry Damdeok, shouldn't she feel guilty at least?  After what she sees in Doyoung, suffering alone, should Yakyeon still go ahead with the marriage?  No doubt it's the court's order that she has to marry Damdeok, she should at least put a stop to it and reveal everything to Damdeok.  But she doesn't, which makes me feel rather upset with her.

Guest farhah1986

Viktoria, thanks for the translations.  Greatly appreciated.

I was kind of confused initially about the baby's part, whether Doyoung has lost her baby or not.

But when I watched ep 47 again, I believe that Doyoung had indeed lost her baby.  In ep 47, she was holding on to her tummy, feeling sad and apologetic, talking to herself that she had so much wanted to protect or safe her baby, only to lose him in the end.

That's probably why she has decided to forgo her position and title as the crown prince's wife for the sake of Goguryeo, knowing well that the people will not accept a traitor's daughter to be their future queen.  She left the blacksmith's house so that Yakyeon will not be able to find her.  Doyoung would rather live a commoner's life in Goguryeo, hoping to find her brother and reunites with him.  She and Go Un can then leave Goguryeo for good and reside in an unknown place where people don't recognise them anymore.

I don't see why Doyoung should marry Asin unless she is taken hostage by Go Chang, to be killed so that Yakyeon's marriage to Damdeok will succeed.  The presence of Doyoung would only prevent Go Chang's plot to obtain power from Damdeok.  Asin saves Doyoung yet again and brings her back to Baekje.  To forget Damdeok completely, she marries Asin.  But then, how can she marry to another man when she loves Damdeok so dearly?  I hope the script is not written in this way because I still want to see the reunion of Damdeok and Doyoung.

One viewer in another forum called Damdeok and Doyoung's marriage as a political marriage.  Sorry, but I beg to differ.  Yes, initally.  But Damdeok has objected to it, citing Houyan and Baekje had something up their sleeves and he wanted it settled and thus postponed his marriage.  But when he realised that he actually loved Doyoung, he married her without regrets.  

On the contrary, it is for Yakyeon, her marriage to Damdeok.  Does Damdeok really love her as he has for Doyoung?  The ministers have pressed for Damdeok to take a queen because the court needs one and for the sake of Goguryeo's stability.  Go Chang takes this opportunity to press Yakyeon to Damdeok since there is only one lady in the imperial house so far.  Well, not forgetting Seolji of course but she is a Malgal.  

Thus I wonder, for the Magals to come to a compromise with Goguryeo, will there be another political mariage between Damdeok and Seolji in the end?  Well, that's what the chart has indicated, regarding the 3 red lines towards Damdeok.

I actually dislike any king to have more than 1 wife, no matter how great he was.

I hope the writer and director woulnd't kill Doyoung's character just like that, so that Oh Ji Eun can take up another new project.  Jo An also has 2 projects on hand, currently.  So I hope OJE can continue with KGTG.  However, if they must kill her character off, then I would prefer that Doyoung dies in an honourable way, just like Damdeok's mother when she tried to protect him from the arrow.  It's also a good way to pay for her father's sin.

If Damdeok will to marry Yakyeon, then I would rather that Doyoung dies instead.  With Baekje invading Goguryeo soon, Doyoung may have sacrificed her life for Asin when Damdeok tries to kill him.  Asin once saved her life.  It's a way to repay him.  But it could be the other way round when she tries to protect Damdeok from Asin.

It could be that when the news of Damdeok's impending marriage to Yakyeon has spreaded around the village, it is the last straw for Go Un.  To him, it goes to show how heartless Damdeok is towards Doyoung when she is still alive today and that he has forsaken her and even forgotten her.  No matter what Guksang had done wrong, Doyoung is innocent, thus she shouldn't be punished in such a humiliating way by dethroning her and 'dumping her'.  That's probably the reason why he has dcided to join the Houyan to go against Damdeok, to avenge for his sister.  I actually wish that Go Un finds Doyoung and takes her to faraway place, instead of ploting a revenge against Damdeok.  I like Go Un thus I don't wish to see him turning bad and going against Damdeok and his own people.  They were such good friends and Go Un had always been loyal towards Damdeok and the royal family.  I like Go Un's faithful servants too, they have never left his side even though he is now a commoner.

As for Go Chang, looking back, he was always against Guksang.  My guess is that Go Chang wants power for himself and is not happy with Guksang obtaining more power than anyone else.  Now that Guksang is out of his sight once and for all (his demise), and with his father not promoted as the new Prime Minister, he is mad with his father for not opposing against his new post and maintaining the power.  Being hungry for more power, he gets the ministers to press Damdeok to get another wife and he suggests Yakyeon as the right candidate to be the next Queen.  Ep 49 actually sees his arrogance when the ministers congragulate him on his sister's impending marriage to the king.  What is becoming of Go Chang?  He is like the 2nd Guksang now, hungry for power.  

Thus if Go Chang knows about Doyoung's being alive today.  He will have her silenced in order that his plot to obtain power through his sister's marriage succeeds.  Doyoung will have to run for her life once again unless she is captured.  I hope that Yeon Salta, Yeo Seokgae or any of Damdeok's men finds out about Doyoung being alive when Ojang, the inn lady and the others talks about the king's impending marriage and accidently mention about Doyoung, like, 'what will happen to her if Damdeok marries again?'.  They probably pity her.  Everyone knows that she is still alive but has left.  I also hope that they would reveal about Yakyeon's knowing of Doyoung's existence too.  

With Go Chang trying to kill Doyoung, partly because of achieving power through Yakyeon's marriage, and partly to avenge for his brother's death, I hope by then Damdeok comes to know about Doyoung's existence and with her life in danger, goes to her rescue on time.  With this happening, I do not know whether Damdeok will still go ahead with his marriage to Yakyeon although Doyoung would urge him not to humiliate Yakyeon's pride by forsaking her since the marriage has already been announced publicly.

Nevertheless, I'm still hoping for Damdeok and Doyoung's reunion to be soon, in ep 50 or 51 perhaps? and that Damdeok will not have more than 1 wife.  I hope to see how he will protect Doyoung as promised, when she is captured.

Watching ep 40 in KBS World, I actually miss Guksang.  He was a good PM until he became hungry for more power and being deprived of that power when Damdeok had become the crown king.  But when he was accused by Go Chang of joining hands with the Houyan people by framing Damdeok, and with his daughter's presumed death and the pressing of his own men for a solution before a war broke up in Goguryeo, he decided that it was time to take charges just to show he was not a pushover and be treated as a criminal.  I love the part when he grieved for his daughter and said that there was only one who could accuse him of his sin, ie Doyoung.  I don't think that Guksang actually wanted a revolt if not for Go Chang's direct accusation.  That was his last straw, to be humiliated like a criminal.

We will see another internal struggle this coming week, I guess.  Until Damdeok is able to stablise the ministers, he can then go to the battle against his enemy.  But Baekje would probably attack Goguryeo too.

Actually I wonder is it necessary for Damdeok marry Yakyeon?Of course he will need a new queen but he always able to choose other noble lady. But I think Damdeok is doing that to find stability from the royal court and seek peace with Go Chang..Go Mu is already deprived from the position as head general and Go Chang feels that his family deserve the reward after sacrificing his brother..Actually I don't really like how Go Chang change to someone who is hunger for power.I'm just worried that like Guksang Gae Yeon Su,he also slowly develop a greed to be a king..I'm sure that if he found out Doyung being alive and reside somewhere in Gogoryo ,he won't let her live to make sure Yakyeon marriage to Damdeok succeed.

Just like you said I really hope Doyoung reunite with Damdeok regardless what going to happen....I hope just like Dammang said,that inorder to be a powerful  king, he need to feared and respected by his subordinate..I really hope Damdeok quickly become that kind of king so that no minister able to press him right now including Go Chang. If king Jangsu(Damdeok eldest son) is born by Doyoung then there will be another power struggle in the palace and Go Chang definitely won't let him alive. So it will be interesting to see whether Doyoung stay alive or not.

Actually I wonder is it necessary for Damdeok marry Yakyeon?Of course he will need a new queen but he always able to choose other noble lady. But I think Damdeok is doing that to find stability from the royal court and seek peace with Go Chang..Go Mu is already deprived from the position as head general and Go Chang feels that his family deserve the reward after sacrificing his brother..Actually I don't really like how Go Chang change to someone who is hunger for power.I'm just worried that like Guksang Gae Yeon Su,he also slowly develop a greed to be a king..I'm sure that if he found out Doyung being alive and reside somewhere in Gogoryo ,he won't let her live to make sure Yakyeon marriage to Damdeok succeed.

Just like you said I really hope Doyoung reunite with Damdeok regardless what going to happen....I hope just like Dammang said,that inorder to be a powerful  king, he need to feared and respected by his subordinate..I really hope Damdeok quickly become that kind of king so that no minister able to press him right now including Go Chang. If king Jangsu(Damdeok eldest son) is born by Doyoung then there will be another power struggle in the palace and Go Chang definitely won't let him alive. So it will be interesting to see whether Doyoung stay alive or not.

You have a good point - whether it is necessary for Damdeok to marry Yakyeon.  Damdeok is still hoping that Doyoung is still alive somewhere else. 

In ep 48, when Yakyeon mentioned Doyoung's name, Damdeok immediately turned around.  He then angrily said that Doyoung was still alive which upset Yakyeon.  Why then does he agree to the marriage?  It doesn't make sense if he does it just to pacify Go Chang.  It only goes to show how weak he still is.  How is he going to account to Doyoung when she is found?

I'm hoping that Damdeok would reject to the ministers' request because he had gone through it with Doyoung before he actually realised that he truly wanted her and that the marriage was not for political reason.  He should know that no happiness will arise between him and Yakyeon in politcal marriage.  But in ep 49, it seems that he promises to give Yakyeon's happiness.  But what about love?  What will happen to Doyoung?  Has he not thought of it?

There seems to have some internal problems which frustrate Damdeok.  Whatever it is, he has to pacify Go Chang first.  By marrying Yakyeon will only increase Go Chang's desire for more power.  Is Damdeok going to give in so easily to Go Chang?  But I thought that he had made a good decision on the changing of the ministers' posts.  Damdeok should stand firm. 

Well, I really don't know what Damdeok is thinking when he decides to marry Yakyeon. 

As for Go Chang, it's scary that he has 360 degrees change in him.  From a loyal person who had wanted to protect his country to a power-hunger general.  I've always thought that he was only against Guksang because of the power the PM was holding.  But never have I thought that he was against Guksang because he was equally hungry for that power, thus feeling bitter and resentment at Guksang.

Guest farhah1986

You have a good point - whether it is necessary for Damdeok to marry Yakyeon.  Damdeok is still hoping that Doyoung is still alive somewhere else. 

In ep 48, when Yakyeon mentioned Doyoung's name, Damdeok immediately turned around.  He then angrily said that Doyoung was still alive which upset Yakyeon.  Why then does he agree to the marriage?  It doesn't make sense if he does it just to pacify Go Chang.  It only goes to show how weak he still is.  How is he going to account to Doyoung when she is found?

I'm hoping that Damdeok would reject to the ministers' request because he had gone through it with Doyoung before he actually realised that he truly wanted her and that the marriage was not for political reason.  He should know that no happiness will arise between him and Yakyeon in politcal marriage.  But in ep 49, it seems that he promises to give Yakyeon's happiness.  But what about love?  What will happen to Doyoung?  Has he not thought of it?

There seems to have some internal problems which frustrate Damdeok.  Whatever it is, he has to pacify Go Chang first.  By marrying Yakyeon will only increase Go Chang's desire for more power.  Is Damdeok going to give in so easily to Go Chang?  But I thought that he had made a good decision on the changing of the ministers' posts.  Damdeok should stand firm. 

Well, I really don't know what Damdeok is thinking when he decides to marry Yakyeon. 

As for Go Chang, it's scary that he has 360 degrees change in him.  From a loyal person who had wanted to protect his country to a power-hunger general.  I've always thought that he was only against Guksang because of the power the PM was holding.  But never have I thought that he was against Guksang because he was equally hungry for that power, thus feeling bitter and resentment at Guksang.

Actually it quite a relief that Go Chang is not Prime Minister  and Damdeok made a good decision to change minister post....so we can say that Damdeok manage to balance the power in the royal court but for him to be a powerful king so that no minister will able to oppose him later on  he need to win the war and be feared and respected from the other nation king. I don't think Damdeok will face a problem if he found Doyoung later on.Actually it will be interesting if Doyoung reunite with Damdeok,pregnant and disappear again just like in Kingdom of The Wind but not with the idea that Doyoung married with Asin.

Guest katherinekang

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful comments and Viktoria's translation. I am very sure that Damdeok is not weak cos when you see his eyes and facial expression, this is definitely no fool. In fact, I can say Damdeok is turning more sly and he is watching his relations and ministers with extreme reservations.

This is one King who, later, will make everyone kneel and bow down to him. I remembered at the very beginning of chapter when we see the king in him, the opening words translated in English " Damdeok, the king of horror. I fought in many battles in my life. Many invaders died with this sword....." I am certain that once he's the king, he is going to bring his court under his rule, without disputes. So I don't think Go Chang is not going to succeed with his 'plans' using Yakyeon as a pawn. That's is one reason I bring out this question..why is he so upset when he had forgotten that it was Damdeok who stop Guksang's sword from slaying him. Everyone who relation got slayed during the riot seem to have a very strange way of revenging when they all know that their dead relation is one way or other riot against the country

For one 1) Sol Doan - Damdeok saved him from the slave merchants,took him out and forgave him when he charged against the Chaeksoong soldiers.

2) Go Chang - Damdeok saved him from been slayed by Guksang

3) Go Un - He knows his father has been plotting death to Damdeok over and over again.

1) Yeon Salta - he remembers Damdeok's kindness towards him when he blunders over Doyoung and his father's treason intentions

2) Yeo Seokgae - he remembers Damdeok's kindness towards him when he took him out of the slaves camp and gave him a position when he is only a slave

One saving grace is that the ladies in the dramas show more passion and thanks to Damdeok than the guys.

I only hope that Doyoung and Damdeok meet again, iron out the problems and let the poor man concentrate on his battles. Maybe she will die maybe not,but I hope the baby is okay and grown up to to Jangsu. I don't think it is Yakyeon's.

By the way, I saw Yakyeon in lady dressings and I nearly phewed..sorry Yakyeon looks better in her warriror clothes.

Viktoria, I'm getting confused again after reading your post once more.  blush.gif

[b]Doyoung said that she had to get up and as the traitor's daughter, she had to pay for her offence. Knowing well that if she is captured by the soldiers or ministers, it's likely she would be punished and executed. But didn't she want to save or protect her baby? How then can she do so if she surrenders herself to the authority?

Watching ep 46 & 47 again and again, it's obvious she has a miscarriage because Yakyeon talked about her baby.  Yakyeon has a negative expression which means that it's not a good news for Doyoung.  But it can also be that Doyoung was shocked because she nearly lost her baby due to her grief.

In one of the forums which I surf, there isn't any mentioning about Doyoung's miscarriage.  That's why I'm actually hoping that Doyoung has a near miscarriage but managed to save her baby.  She left the blacksmith house so as to protect her baby and also not to get Ojang and Yakyeon into troubles.  I'm also hoping that the baby survives so that the reunion of Damdeok and Doyoung is make possible and that Doyoung's position and title will be secured.

I still don't understand why Yakyeon hasn't told Damdeok about Doyoung when she has every opportunity to.

I'm hoping that Yakyeon didn't know about Doyoung's pregnancy.  Because if she knows of Doyoung's pregnancy unless she has a miscarriage, by agreeing to marry Damdeok, shouldn't she feel guilty at least?  After what she sees in Doyoung, suffering alone, should Yakyeon still go ahead with the marriage?  No doubt it's the court's order that she has to marry Damdeok, she should at least put a stop to it and reveal everything to Damdeok.  But she doesn't, which makes me feel rather upset with her.

bonds, i think my fairy godlady heard your question for me that she's so very generous to help me again with the translation. i'm really, really so grateful with her kindness and generosity. here is the translation of the scene in episode 47. it's really making me feel sad that Doyoung really lost her baby. she's right, she doesn't have anymore reason to stay in Goguryeo. :(

in Ep. 47, Doyoung says to herself:

"My baby.... I ought to have protected you... above all else."

YY brings porridge for her: It's porridge. You must eat even just a little.

DY: I won't be able to swallow. please leave it. don't come looking for me again.

YY: Crown Princess.

DY: i am no longer crown princess. just the daughter of traitor Gye Yeon Soo.

YY: you can't. you've returned all the way here after all that suffering. how could... i will report to His Majesty in secret.

DY: Why do you hide your heart? You know better than anyone else... that the place where I can exist has disappeared. if i reappear Gogoruyeo will see turmoil again. As King, he must shake me off now. I am someone who will just be a huge hindrance to His life.

YY: It's not a matter that should be decided in a rush. please recover first. it's not too late to make the decision afterwards.

Viktoria, thanks for the translations. Greatly appreciated.

But when I watched ep 47 again, I believe that Doyoung had indeed lost her baby. In ep 47, she was holding on to her tummy, feeling sad and apologetic, talking to herself that she had so much wanted to protect or safe her baby, only to lose him in the end.

That's probably why she has decided to forgo her position and title as the crown prince's wife for the sake of Goguryeo, knowing well that the people will not accept a traitor's daughter to be their future queen. She left the blacksmith's house so that Yakyeon will not be able to find her. Doyoung would rather live a commoner's life in Goguryeo, hoping to find her brother and reunites with him. She and Go Un can then leave Goguryeo for good and reside in an unknown place where people don't recognise them anymore.

I don't see why Doyoung should marry Asin unless she is taken hostage by Go Chang, to be killed so that Yakyeon's marriage to Damdeok will succeed. The presence of Doyoung would only prevent Go Chang's plot to obtain power from Damdeok. Asin saves Doyoung yet again and brings her back to Baekje. To forget Damdeok completely, she marries Asin. But then, how can she marry to another man when she loves Damdeok so dearly? I hope the script is not written in this way because I still want to see the reunion of Damdeok and Doyoung.

One viewer in another forum called Damdeok and Doyoung's marriage as a political marriage. Sorry, but I beg to differ. Yes, initally. But Damdeok has objected to it, citing Houyan and Baekje had something up their sleeves and he wanted it settled and thus postponed his marriage. But when he realised that he actually loved Doyoung, he married her without regrets.

On the contrary, it is for Yakyeon, her marriage to Damdeok. Does Damdeok really love her as he has for Doyoung? The ministers have pressed for Damdeok to take a queen because the court needs one and for the sake of Goguryeo's stability. Go Chang takes this opportunity to press Yakyeon to Damdeok since there is only one lady in the imperial house so far. Well, not forgetting Seolji of course but she is a Malgal.

Thus I wonder, for the Magals to come to a compromise with Goguryeo, will there be another political mariage between Damdeok and Seolji in the end? Well, that's what the chart has indicated, regarding the 3 red lines towards Damdeok.

I hope the writer and director woulnd't kill Doyoung's character just like that, so that Oh Ji Eun can take up another new project. Jo An also has 2 projects on hand, currently. So I hope OJE can continue with KGTG. However, if they must kill her character off, then I would prefer that Doyoung dies in an honourable way, just like Damdeok's mother when she tried to protect him from the arrow. It's also a good way to pay for her father's sin.

If Damdeok will to marry Yakyeon, then I would rather that Doyoung dies instead. With Baekje invading Goguryeo soon, Doyoung may have sacrificed her life for Asin when Damdeok tries to kill him. Asin once saved her life. It's a way to repay him. But it could be the other way round when she tries to protect Damdeok from Asin.

It could be that when the news of Damdeok's impending marriage to Yakyeon has spreaded around the village, it is the last straw for Go Un. To him, it goes to show how heartless Damdeok is towards Doyoung when she is still alive today and that he has forsaken her and even forgotten her. No matter what Guksang had done wrong, Doyoung is innocent, thus she shouldn't be punished in such a humiliating way by dethroning her and 'dumping her'. That's probably the reason why he has dcided to join the Houyan to go against Damdeok, to avenge for his sister. I actually wish that Go Un finds Doyoung and takes her to faraway place, instead of ploting a revenge against Damdeok. I like Go Un thus I don't wish to see him turning bad and going against Damdeok and his own people. They were such good friends and Go Un had always been loyal towards Damdeok and the royal family. I like Go Un's faithful servants too, they have never left his side even though he is now a commoner.

As for Go Chang, looking back, he was always against Guksang. My guess is that Go Chang wants power for himself and is not happy with Guksang obtaining more power than anyone else. Now that Guksang is out of his sight once and for all (his demise), and with his father not promoted as the new Prime Minister, he is mad with his father for not opposing against his new post and maintaining the power. Being hungry for more power, he gets the ministers to press Damdeok to get another wife and he suggests Yakyeon as the right candidate to be the next Queen. Ep 49 actually sees his arrogance when the ministers congragulate him on his sister's impending marriage to the king. What is becoming of Go Chang? He is like the 2nd Guksang now, hungry for power.

Thus if Go Chang knows about Doyoung's being alive today. He will have her silenced in order that his plot to obtain power through his sister's marriage succeeds. Doyoung will have to run for her life once again unless she is captured. I hope that Yeon Salta, Yeo Seokgae or any of Damdeok's men finds out about Doyoung being alive when Ojang, the inn lady and the others talks about the king's impending marriage and accidently mention about Doyoung, like, 'what will happen to her if Damdeok marries again?'. They probably pity her. Everyone knows that she is still alive but has left. I also hope that they would reveal about Yakyeon's knowing of Doyoung's existence too.

With Go Chang trying to kill Doyoung, partly because of achieving power through Yakyeon's marriage, and partly to avenge for his brother's death, I hope by then Damdeok comes to know about Doyoung's existence and with her life in danger, goes to her rescue on time. With this happening, I do not know whether Damdeok will still go ahead with his marriage to Yakyeon although Doyoung would urge him not to humiliate Yakyeon's pride by forsaking her since the marriage has already been announced publicly.

Nevertheless, I'm still hoping for Damdeok and Doyoung's reunion to be soon, in ep 50 or 51 perhaps? and that Damdeok will not have more than 1 wife. I hope to see how he will protect Doyoung as promised, when she is captured.

Watching ep 40 in KBS World, I actually miss Guksang. He was a good PM until he became hungry for more power and being deprived of that power when Damdeok had become the crown king. But when he was accused by Go Chang of joining hands with the Houyan people by framing Damdeok, and with his daughter's presumed death and the pressing of his own men for a solution before a war broke up in Goguryeo, he decided that it was time to take charges just to show he was not a pushover and be treated as a criminal. I love the part when he grieved for his daughter and said that there was only one who could accuse him of his sin, ie Doyoung. I don't think that Guksang actually wanted a revolt if not for Go Chang's direct accusation. That was his last straw, to be humiliated like a criminal.

We will see another internal struggle this coming week, I guess. Until Damdeok is able to stablise the ministers, he can then go to the battle against his enemy. But Baekje would probably attack Goguryeo too.

hi bonds, i wasn't able to read your earlier post before i posted the second translation. you were right in your interpretation of the scene on episode 47 and i totally agree with all your opinions. i would rather have Doyoung die first before Damdeok can marry Yakyeon and i don't like the idea of Doyoung marrying Asin. if Damdeok marries Yakyeon before he finds out that Doyoung is still alive and YY knows it all along, will YY be happy?

i was thinking exactly the same possible scenario. :) i hope same thing like that will happen and i hope it's going to be Yeon Salta that will be able to save her since Damdeok made him promised to look for her.

Guest farhah1986

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful comments and Viktoria's translation. I am very sure that Damdeok is not weak cos when you see his eyes and facial expression, this is definitely no fool. In fact, I can say Damdeok is turning more sly and he is watching his relations and ministers with extreme reservations.

This is one King who, later, will make everyone kneel and bow down to him. I remembered at the very beginning of chapter when we see the king in him, the opening words translated in English " Damdeok, the king of horror. I fought in many battles in my life. Many invaders died with this sword....."  I am certain that once he's the king, he is going to bring his court under his rule, without disputes. So I don't think Go Chang is not going to succeed with his 'plans' using Yakyeon as a pawn.

Guest katherinekang

I saw in KBS World preview that Doyoung sneak a peep at Damdeok and Yakyeon (In fact, there is where I saw Yakyeon dressed as a lady, Yucks). I watched Dae Jo Young and also Go Chang character in it, he was a mean general.

I am waiting for the parts where Damdeok consolidate his court and go to war. Everyone is giving him a hard time, undoubtly he can turn the tables on them. The 3 pigs are in for a hard time. Plotting and failing to make their schemes worked is giving them a name TOTAL FAILURE.

Guest honzbear

It's hard to predict the course of the drama when the writers have to accommodate actors' departures from the show and introduce plot twists to give them a reason for their exits. A few actors have already left the drama: Jang Shin Young, the actor who played Dammang and the Dol Bisu actor ....  And now Oh Ji Eun is leaving (apparently). I wonder why so many have left the drama. You would think getting a part in King Gwanggaeto the Great would be a windfall for their careers and they would try and stay in it for as long as they could. I mean who watches the drama with Jang Shin Young in it or Dangerous Woman? I think the producers should have gotten the actors to sign an ironclad contract so that they are bound to the drama for its duration.

The drama is getting stale again, and the ratings reflect this. I think they should get some other writers on board and cut out the corny weepy storyline. This drama which is supposed to be about one of Korea's greatest kings is turning into a soap opera for teen girls or fans of Mills & Boon romances or Barbara Cartland fans.

I am getting to the point where I am embarrassed to admit I watch this drama to be honest.

They should introduce some dynamic storyline about why Gwanggaeto was such a great king. I am still waiting to see what was so 'great' about this individual. The storyline about Go Chang turning into a baddie is about as "realistic" as Dammang suddenly turning into a good guy on the hunting trip.

The writers must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas if they have to resort to this.

The drama is actually based on a comic. I don't know how closely or loosely it follows this comic because I haven't seen the comic. Generally speaking I don't like dramas that follow comic plots. If this drama is close to the comic, the comic story sounds like it's pretty bad.

Kim Seung Su(Go Un) has a new daily drama too, Just Like Today. it will start on November 21.

The writers have one achievement in this drama, they are driving everyone crazy with suspense.

i totally agree with you katherinekang. there's one more thing that i don't understand with the writers, aside from Yakyeon, there's Seol Ji who knows too that Doyoung is still alive. Why is it that she's not saying anything?

Archived