Help Desk :D (SM Entertainment Auditions)

_RaiN_

jyraccoon said: I've tried SM Global Audition once, hahahaha it was great experience! me and my best friend sent our video to SM Global audition email and got accepted. SM will reply your email and gave you date and place for audition.D-Day you will see a long line just for auditioning.WOW (sorry my bad english) than SM Staff will gave you Audition number and when they call your number, you and some others ( about 6-10 ppl ) go to the audition room. i was number 4559 and my friend was 4560. i saw 4558, she was so pretty and i thought that she can't sing but when SM Staff told her to do her audition, she was so great!! i got shocked!! hahahaha. than it's my turn and friend too. i only sing about 10sec then SM staff  told me to stop.oh man....... after that, SM staff asked me to leave. i got shocked once again, SM Staff want her to stay for a while and SM staff talk to her. i was so curious, hahaha. after she out , i asked her and she told me that SM staff want her to sing the other song and dance. >,< i'm so jealous , btw i forget to ask her name tho.
oww

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest summerismyseason

Hey! I have a few questions as well about auditioning. (You've probably already answered them, but I haven't looked through all the pages yet.)

1. How well can a 100% European Caucasian get in? I know SME looks for Asians usually, but I also wanted to know if they hired Americans who don't have any Asian blood in them. I'm attractive n all, but would they reject me for my background?

2. Is it a downside if I'm 5'7" and my weight is about 123? (I'm female) I'm pretty skinny in appearance, but are they okay with girls who are a bit muscular? As in the muscle buildup is a little big?

3. I know they don't like acne and scars, but they also don't want us wearing heavy makeup at all. I have a few scars on my face (not that visible) and some small red spots. Is it alright to cover them up with some concealer or should it not be allowed? Plus, one scar is hidden by my eyebrow, is that okay if it's hidden like that?

4. When auditioning, you said to wear something nice and easy to move in. If singing, would it be best to wear a nice t-shirt (plain polos as an example) and some stretch jeans to do the dancing in the next part of the audition?

5. Final question! My hair is very VERY curly. When brushed it becomes wavy, so it isn't in it's natural state. Would it be best to brush my hair when wet or just brush it afterwards?

It would be great if you could answer these. Thank you for your time if you did. :)

summerismyseason said: Hey! I have a few questions as well about auditioning. (You've probably already answered them, but I haven't looked through all the pages yet.) 1. How well can a 100% European Caucasian get in? I know SME looks for Asians usually, but I also wanted to know if they hired Americans who don't have any Asian blood in them. I'm attractive n all, but would they reject me for my background? 2. Is it a downside if I'm 5'7" and my weight is about 123? (I'm female) I'm pretty skinny in appearance, but are they okay with girls who are a bit muscular? As in the muscle buildup is a little big? 3. I know they don't like acne and scars, but they also don't want us wearing heavy makeup at all. I have a few scars on my face (not that visible) and some small red spots. Is it alright to cover them up with some concealer or should it not be allowed? Plus, one scar is hidden by my eyebrow, is that okay if it's hidden like that? 4. When auditioning, you said to wear something nice and easy to move in. If singing, would it be best to wear a nice t-shirt (plain polos as an example) and some stretch jeans to do the dancing in the next part of the audition? 5. Final question! My hair is very VERY curly. When brushed it becomes wavy, so it isn't in it's natural state. Would it be best to brush my hair when wet or just brush it afterwards? It would be great if you could answer these. Thank you for your time if you did. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest summerismyseason

wengfrecrixs said: i"ll answer your question 1 by 1 1.As you knew that most agency is only looking for asian . It doesn't matter you are asian or not , as long as you look like asian . You can still try if it is what you want -to be in kpop industry.2. This is not consider an issue for auditioning ....3.Yeah i think everyone hate acne scars .... but did you really had went to some of the kpop agency for live or walk in audition ? Did they told you people who got acne scar on face is consider failed their audition automatically without performing ? I got sensitive oily skin , my face probably has more acne scars than you . But I always took my bare face photo that shown all the scars for online audition , I just don't want to lie or cover about it and I also stated in applications form to tell them it acne scars . If you want to look good , you can try to put on some cosmetic to cover scars ....4.Just go with whatever that you think is suitable or comfortable for yourself5.Also up to you .....
People , please .... if you are really wanted to be in kpop industry , don't let this kind of small problem into you ......

summerismyseason said: wengfrecrixs said: i"ll answer your question 1 by 1 1.As you knew that most agency is only looking for asian . It doesn't matter you are asian or not , as long as you look like asian . You can still try if it is what you want -to be in kpop industry.2. This is not consider an issue for auditioning ....3.Yeah i think everyone hate acne scars .... but did you really had went to some of the kpop agency for live or walk in audition ? Did they told you people who got acne scar on face is consider failed their audition automatically without performing ? I got sensitive oily skin , my face probably has more acne scars than you . But I always took my bare face photo that shown all the scars for online audition , I just don't want to lie or cover about it and I also stated in applications form to tell them it acne scars . If you want to look good , you can try to put on some cosmetic to cover scars ....4.Just go with whatever that you think is suitable or comfortable for yourself5.Also up to you .....
People , please .... if you are really wanted to be in kpop industry , don't let this kind of small problem into you ......

• 3 weeks later...
Guest exoticbubble

do you know something about the SM contract fee? (idk if it's called like that but i belive so xD) 

1) is it true that you have to pay a lot of money if you quit before your contract ended? ex. you sign a contract for about 5 years and you want to quit after 2-3 years. or do you have to stay a trainee untill the 5 years are over?

2) what if you want to switch to another company? is this only possible when your contract ended or they send you off to go to another company because you're not going to debut under sm anymore? 

3) if you sign a contract for 5 years does this only mean the trainee years or is the debut included (if you are able to debut) and then you get so sign another contract for your debut and that group you're in? 

i don't know really much about this whole contract thing and i can't find a lot of information about it but i'd like to know what a contract is about, even though probably no one exactly knows what is written in it because no one of us is actually a trainee/idol. 

Hi @exoticbubble ! 

1) is it true that you have to pay a lot of money if you quit before your contract ended? ex. you sign a contract for about 5 years and you want to quit after 2-3 years. or do you have to stay a trainee until the 5 years are over?

I'm pretty sure the fact that a company charging you money for leaving prior to the expiration of your contract is normal. The reason behind that is, SM Entertainment is funding everything for the trainee, they are paying for: Living fees, foods, etc and they idol/trainee is expected to be able to earn all of this back from their work, being an idol. If they leave the company before the expiration date of the contract, all of the future expenses will be calculated and charged right back to the trainee/idol as they have terminated their contract, therefore, no longer being part of the company, and as SM Entertainment stated, they will only pay and fund for you once you have become part of the company.

2) what if you want to switch to another company? is this only possible when your contract ended or they send you off to go to another company because you're not going to debut under sm anymore? 

I think if you want to transfer into another company, the best thing I could say is, although it might sound cold, but the realistic fact is that you should've auditioned for the company you wanted prior to making it really troublesome for your current company to try and  transfer you over. But yes, I'm pretty sure if your contract ends and you don't resign with the company, you can then re-audition (yes, re-audition, you don't get special treatment because you've been an idol before) into another company.

3) if you sign a contract for 5 years does this only mean the trainee years or is the debut included (if you are able to debut) and then you get so sign another contract for your debut and that group you're in? 

A 5 year contract just means the time-frame of 5 years. If you train for 5 years and fail to debut, I'm pretty sure you can prolong your time within the company by renewing your contract, or choose to leave.  There are no gimmicks to the contract, and 5 years just means 5 years.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! 

_RaiN_  

Hi, I have a few questions :) I'm thinking of auditioning in Korea when I visit in December. 1) is it ok if i have zero dance experience but have confidence in my voice? I have taken voice lessons for about 3 years, and i have a fairly decent repetoire of songs. 2) i'm korean but because i've lived in the US for almost my entire life, my korean isn't perfect. I can understand it 100% and my speaking skills are decent enough to have a conversation but i'm only like 80% fluent haha. Will that hinder my chances? 3) i have heard many many times that SM cares a lot about looks...exactly how good looking do you have to be to get in? I model from time to time , and my friends seem to think i'm "cute", but tbh i've never had a great self esteem and i always get doubt myself when i hear that you have to be gorgeous to get into SM. 4) do they even check their email auditions any more? I sent an email a few days ago but i feel like they rarely check anymore, although it doesnt matter too much since i'll be auditioning live. But has anyone gotten in or at least proceeded to the next round through email? Thank you for your help :)

Sorry, i have one more question! ^_^" is 15 a bit too old? I know that training can take many years, and a lot of idols started training when they were much younger than me...

jal99

said: Hi, I have a few questions

:)

I'm thinking of auditioning in Korea when I visit in December. 1) is it ok if i have zero dance experience but have confidence in my voice? I have taken voice lessons for about 3 years, and i have a fairly decent repetoire of songs. 2) i'm korean but because i've lived in the US for almost my entire life, my korean isn't perfect. I can understand it 100% and my speaking skills are decent enough to have a conversation but i'm only like 80% fluent haha. Will that hinder my chances? 3) i have heard many many times that SM cares a lot about looks...exactly how good looking do you have to be to get in? I model from time to time , and my friends seem to think i'm "cute", but tbh i've never had a great self esteem and i always get doubt myself when i hear that you have to be gorgeous to get into SM. 4) do they even check their email auditions any more? I sent an email a few days ago but i feel like they rarely check anymore, although it doesnt matter too much since i'll be auditioning live. But has anyone gotten in or at least proceeded to the next round through email? Thank you for your help

:)

Guest lawis_pocket

Not really going to audition for SM but since this is the most active help desk topic, here goes my question that's been bothering me for months... Hope someone can answer it. Most companies ask for 3 pictures of you, Face, Body and one free pose. they don't want it to be photoshoped, so do You Take them at a photostudio or at home? Do You have to look straight to the camera for Face and body pictures? Should you smile? so you have any examples of how the pictures should look? Thank anyone who can answer this questions

lawis_pocket said: Not really going to audition for SM but since this is the most active help desk topic, here goes my question that's been bothering me for months... Hope someone can answer it. Most companies ask for 3 pictures of you, Face, Body and one free pose. they don't want it to be photoshoped, so do You Take them at a photostudio or at home? Do You have to look straight to the camera for Face and body pictures? Should you smile? so you have any examples of how the pictures should look? Thank anyone who can answer this questions

• 2 weeks later...

do they still have and check the mail audition? i'll try send them my files via mail audition because i'm worried they don't check their e-mails or not all of them. should i send it straight to korea or to the USA? and can i put the pictures on my usb stick or is it better to print and attach them to the mail?

Hi @ricecakee ! 
I have no idea about mail auditions, all I know is that either way, the walk in audition is what you'll be doing, so I guess it's better to just go for a walk-in audition instead of sending millions of mails and e-mails because in the end, the automated reply will send you straight to a walk-in audition.
_RaiN_ 

the problem is i can't go to a walk in audition because i live in europe and can't pay the plane ticket to korea ;___; i'm saving money for one atm, but it will take me forever till i have enough money for a plane ticket and my parents don't support me with that, so i thought meanwhile i can go for email or mail audition.. still better than nothing^^

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SMProdigy

안녕하세요!

So today, I attended the SM Monthly Audition in LA, USA!!!

And I will now share my experience with you guys :D

My memory is SUPER CLEAR so you guys can trust everything I say below :)

So first, I got to the building like at 1:54 p.m. (on the 3rd floor) and the door opens at 2:00 p.m. so I waited for 6 minutes and there was already 4 people waiting outside. Then the lady, who will be the judge in the audition room, came and open the door for us. On the counter will be a stack of registration papers. You just take one and a pen and fill in all the info, when you are done you just give it to the lady (remember to sign at the signature blank xD) and she'll tell you to wait until she calls you. I was the first one the turned the paper in (shame on me -_-) so after about 15 minutes she called me in with 4 other people as the first group. And the TV playing SM music was too loud -_- so I couldn't warm up (quietly) properly :(. By when I was called in there was already 20 people in the waiting room! My group was me, two other girls who is older than me -_- and two tall - really tall dudes. The lady lead us inside the waiting room, it looks like a practice room -- mirrors on three walls and posters in the back wall. We lined up along the blue tape against the posters wall. The camera was those small rectangular ones - which I find interesting xD, it is set up on the table the lady sits.  Firstly, the lady will call your name and give you a sticker number and then might ask several questions to some certain people to clear up what might be vague in the form. Next, she will ask if anyone had attend an SM audition before. She will then explain how the audition will works: 

1. Introduce Yourself - You say your NAME, AGE, and then YOUR STICKER NUMBER. Next will be your SCHOOL and GRADE (If Not In College Yet) and state your TALENT (sing/dance/rap)

2. Show Your Talent - If you are singing or rapping then you will recite the chorus or highlight of a song (there will be a rare chance of you being ask to sing a different song) If you are dancing then it will be free-styling to a random song played (you will be instructed how to not cross a certain boundary so the camera can get a hold of you ^^) 

Something was different this time. In other experience blogs I read about said that you will have to stand in front of a seperate tape near to the camera. This time we just stay where we are and the lady will just position the camera towards you. I was first in line (the order goes from left to right) so I went first. I introduced myself after the lady gave a cue (a really weird cue lol) and sing a song (you can stop whenever you want-but don't sing the whole song lol). After I finished the lady fixed the camera to the next person in line and gave him a cue and so on. After everyone finished we did the rhythm test to Britney Spears's "3". We were instructed to clap to the beat or just freestyle (staying in one spot because there isn't even space xD). Luckily, I knew the song so well (A Britney Spears Hardcore Fan) so I knew the beat and how it goes and clap proudly ^^. So if you know the song, in the beginning there will be claps at the beat -- very easy anyone can do this. The guy next to me start freestyle clapping and did unnecessary but impressive claps to the beat. Everyone else including me just clapped to the simple beat :) After that the lady explained to us how it will take 2 months for a response if you pass the audition (and how they even text you now xD) and if you didn't get any response you are welcome to come back and audition again. She also told us about an incident that happened at KCON -- that there was a man, white and Caucasian, his name is >•< I can't remember well but it is like Bernie or something and he is DISGUISING AS AN SM SCOUTING PERSON AT KCON - And unfortunately was kidnapping girls...They have reported him but haven't caught him yet :3 Yeah...So just something to warn ya

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ahnsooj

i audition for sm last year. it was sm's first global audition in indonesia. i was just doing it for fun until they asked me to stay after the 10 people audition thing. i never thought im the pretty type of girl or anything. i sang lee hyori's miss korea. i audition on the second day so ive read about what they said about the judges. they said the judges was really cold, most of them only sang a few words and they were stopped. i sang for a verse and started to get nervous because she wasnt stopping me. i eventually sang 2 verse, right before the reff. even that, i stopped myself. plus i had a voice crack. a super terrible one. when the others were dismissed, she asked me to stay. like i really didnt know what to do. she told me to sing the song again higher, and louder, she also asked me if i could sing other songs. i was asked to danced. i do dance, but i was so nervous, my freestyle was awful. but when red velvet debuted with happiness, one of their dance move was really similar to mine. it was so funny. she also took pictures of me. i had no idea what i was supposed to do, wheter i could smile or not. she eventually said 'ii~' she was asking me to smile, so i did. i fo have an eye smile and my friends always said that i look like tiffany. afterwards, she asked a staff to send me down. the guy and girl staff that went down with me took me to another staff and said, "blablasomethinggkorean yoona" and i was there just like... i joined with the others like me. there was another 3 girls and 2 guys. my face is really indonesian and the others are like asian. so i was like, oh crap. we were told to wait for everybody else to finish audition. we were all really anxious so we got noisy. one of the staff warned us to be quiet and sit up straight and said, "do you guys want to continue the audition or not?". out of no where a staff called me and took a picture of me with her phone. the next thing i know i was called upstairs with one of the gir. a different judge told me to sing, i only sang a few words and she stopped me but i danced a lot longer this time. after that the told me to go home and said that they will inform more through email. the other girl stayed. on the way home, i somehow cried. i felt like i wasted a one in a life time chance. i still keep contact with all the girls. 6 months later one of the girl told me that she was emailed by sm. they said the wanted to cross check. and two weeks later another girl got an email saying that she couldnt be reached. im so happy for them if sm really wants them. i was just curious whats could actually be the next step after all my auditions if i do really get through? and do you think i should give it another try next year? ps: i somehow lost interest to be in sm ㅋㅋ sm's response are really slow btw and we saw sooman and his wife! my mom (she had no idea who he was) was complaining about how the audition is taking forever (i was there from 12am-11pm) and sooman started making jokes lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yuyuiuiuyuyuiuiu

I'm sorry,because my english is very very bad so can I ask you some questions
I sent they an email 1 month ago, but i don,t have reply email.Are they don't like me
1.My birthday:5/2/2001(is that old)
2.My height:1m63
3.Is that before, i have to learn a vocal class. 
4.i think that i so beautiful
5. i don't know dance
thank you very much ì you answer my questions

Archived