Help Desk :D (SM Entertainment Auditions)

_RaiN_

I wanted to add to this thread since SM global auditions will be coming again in 2017. For reference, I attended SM global audition 2016 in LA and later auditioned for FNC, JYP, and Jellyfish.

First, be ready to wait a really long time. My email I received with the time and location of the audition said that I needed to be there by 12pm and it stressed not being late. However, the actual auditioning did not begin until 7pm. Thats right I hung around the venue for 7 hours until I could actually dance (consider bringing water or a small snack even tho they say no food). It makes sense though SM is a huge company and naturally a lot of people were there. But my auditions for FNC, JYP, and Jellyfish were all less than 3 hours long. Dont stress though everyone there is a kpop fan and hopefully really cool and talented. While we were waiting, they kept playing SM music videos and a lot of people actually got up to dance to them. In addition I bumped into the same girl for all my auditions, small world when you have similar interests.

Second, for overall auditioning. We went in 10 people at a time, the SM global audition background poster was in the back. There was one judge and one camera person. Make sure to calm yourself and be brave. I watched a girl sing beautifully and when the judge asked her to sing again, she choked and couldnt remember her lyrics. The judge was quite indifferent, she was on kakao talk most of the time. We didnt have models or actors in our group so the turns were singers went first, dancers, second. After auditioning if you are not asked to stay for questions, then you should promptly leave.

I'll now be addressing dancers since thats what I auditioned with.

Lastly, for the dancers. The judge will play multiple short sections of different songs. They were all familiar ones and were typical on-the-radio songs. You do not have a lot of dancing space unless you are the only dancer since you are being filmed and you want to make sure you stay in the frame. Make sure to look at the camera, not the judge. At every audition, they tell you this because ultimately there will be people watching the video deciding to pick you or not. Try to relax and listen the music while you're freestyling. 

Good luck to everyone auditioning and I hope this helped you. Maybe I'll even meet some of you unknowingly at more kpop auditions!

Just in case anyone is curious, this is who I am: I'm 16 years old, Chinese-Korean, and I've been dancing ballet, hip hop, jazz, lyrical, modern, and contemporary since I was 3. I'm around 167cm and I'm not a very strong singer.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, mango1115 said:

I wanted to add to this thread since SM global auditions will be coming again in 2017. For reference, I attended SM global audition 2016 in LA and later auditioned for FNC, JYP, and Jellyfish.

First, be ready to wait a really long time. My email I received with the time and location of the audition said that I needed to be there by 12pm and it stressed not being late. However, the actual auditioning did not begin until 7pm. Thats right I hung around the venue for 7 hours until I could actually dance (consider bringing water or a small snack even tho they say no food). It makes sense though SM is a huge company and naturally a lot of people were there. But my auditions for FNC, JYP, and Jellyfish were all less than 3 hours long. Dont stress though everyone there is a kpop fan and hopefully really cool and talented. While we were waiting, they kept playing SM music videos and a lot of people actually got up to dance to them. In addition I bumped into the same girl for all my auditions, small world when you have similar interests.

Second, for overall auditioning. We went in 10 people at a time, the SM global audition background poster was in the back. There was one judge and one camera person. Make sure to calm yourself and be brave. I watched a girl sing beautifully and when the judge asked her to sing again, she choked and couldnt remember her lyrics. The judge was quite indifferent, she was on kakao talk most of the time. We didnt have models or actors in our group so the turns were singers went first, dancers, second. After auditioning if you are not asked to stay for questions, then you should promptly leave.

I'll now be addressing dancers since thats what I auditioned with.

Lastly, for the dancers. The judge will play multiple short sections of different songs. They were all familiar ones and were typical on-the-radio songs. You do not have a lot of dancing space unless you are the only dancer since you are being filmed and you want to make sure you stay in the frame. Make sure to look at the camera, not the judge. At every audition, they tell you this because ultimately there will be people watching the video deciding to pick you or not. Try to relax and listen the music while you're freestyling. 

Good luck to everyone auditioning and I hope this helped you. Maybe I'll even meet some of you unknowingly at more kpop auditions!

Just in case anyone is curious, this is who I am: I'm 16 years old, Chinese-Korean, and I've been dancing ballet, hip hop, jazz, lyrical, modern, and contemporary since I was 3. I'm around 167cm and I'm not a very strong singer.

Thanks for telling me the overall thing that happens when you audition ^^

I just hope my parents will let me try out. Maybe I can convince them somehow. Do you know how I can? 

It's mostly my mother who won't let me go, she's somewhat strict :sweatingbullets:

I would definitely show them how passionate and how bad you want this opportunity to try out. When I went to auditions there were people coming from Mississippi or Arizona to LA just for this audition. Also make sure to keep ur grades up! That shows your parents that you are a responsible young adult and know what you are doing. Lastly I would show them how talented you are and that you have a chance at this! Parents naturally want to support their kids so I believe you can convince them.

11 hours ago, Ragavee Anantharajah said:

My question

1.  if people is 18 or 19 years old and they came from another countries. How they audition in online email and how they fly to Korea?

2. How do they book tickets if they pass online auditons to fly korea?

Hi @Ragavee Anantharajah ! 

Hopefully these responses will give you a little insight on what you inquired about! 

1.  if people is 18 or 19 years old and they came from another countries. How they audition in online email and how they fly to Korea?

AThe online audition email addresses should be available within each respective companies website. In regards to flying to Korea, all expenses will be provided by yourself, as you are not part of the company yet, so they have no need to pay for your flight to and from Korea. 

2. How do they book tickets if they pass online auditons to fly korea?

ASame answer as the previous question, because you've only passed the online auditions, you'll have to pay for all expenses to travel to Korea on your own accord. You are not a part of the company yet, therefore, they have no need to pay for any of your travel expenses, that's why people recommend you take auditions when it arrives in your country, or the travelling costs wont be too much of a burden. 

Hope this helped a little! 

_RaiN_ 

Hi again ^^

Today I was talking to my mother about SM Entertainment. It did not go as expected :sweatingbullets:

I started off slowly, asking about her dream as a child. She wanted to be a model.

I asked why she didn't follow her dreams. She said because "She was too short"

Then she asked me what my dream was. I said to audition for SM. I told her about it. She still said no.

In the end I asked why, she said "Your dreams should be here." I felt really sad because I knew she wasn't going to let me in the start. I don't wanna abandon my dream but I know her answer will only be no. I also know if I asked to audition here in America, she'd let me.

I don't know what to do to convince her. I need major help.

4 hours ago, loniclol said:

Hi again ^^

Today I was talking to my mother about SM Entertainment. It did not go as expected :sweatingbullets:

I started off slowly, asking about her dream as a child. She wanted to be a model.

I asked why she didn't follow her dreams. She said because "She was too short"

Then she asked me what my dream was. I said to audition for SM. I told her about it. She still said no.

In the end I asked why, she said "Your dreams should be here." I felt really sad because I knew she wasn't going to let me in the start. I don't wanna abandon my dream but I know her answer will only be no. I also know if I asked to audition here in America, she'd let me.

I don't know what to do to convince her. I need major help.

@loniclol I think the best thing to do is stop pushing it upon them so much. I remember I used to do the same and my parents hated that. I'd always try so hard to go out of my way to show them that I can make it, and I tend to ignore things I should be doing, eg. studying, chores, etc. So I kinda lost track of the K-pop hype awhile back, but only recently got back into it. I'm now 4 years older than I was when I first found K-pop, and I've already graduated from High School and started University, which is great. I went heads down and books open and studied really hard, then my parents saw that I was capable of achieving  my goals, so now they don't really mind what I do, as long as I can understand the repercussions of my own actions. 

So don't try and force your dream onto them, work hard, and show them that you can live by yourself. This doesn't mean you just go and show-off dancing, etc., you still can't ignore the things you need to do. 

_RaiN_ 

16 hours ago, _RaiN_ said:

@loniclol I think the best thing to do is stop pushing it upon them so much. I remember I used to do the same and my parents hated that. I'd always try so hard to go out of my way to show them that I can make it, and I tend to ignore things I should be doing, eg. studying, chores, etc. So I kinda lost track of the K-pop hype awhile back, but only recently got back into it. I'm now 4 years older than I was when I first found K-pop, and I've already graduated from High School and started University, which is great. I went heads down and books open and studied really hard, then my parents saw that I was capable of achieving  my goals, so now they don't really mind what I do, as long as I can understand the repercussions of my own actions. 

So don't try and force your dream onto them, work hard, and show them that you can live by yourself. This doesn't mean you just go and show-off dancing, etc., you still can't ignore the things you need to do. 

_RaiN_ 

That's some good advice.

I'll try not to bring it up anymore and I'll just continue studying and improving my singing, dancing, and Korean.

Hopefully she'll let me.

And if not I hope I can try when I'm 18.

You can audition when your 18 right? Or is that to old?

1 hour ago, loniclol said:

That's some good advice.

I'll try not to bring it up anymore and I'll just continue studying and improving my singing, dancing, and Korean.

Hopefully she'll let me.

And if not I hope I can try when I'm 18.

You can audition when your 18 right? Or is that to old?

@loniclol you can definitely audition when you're 18, nothing too old about that. 

_RaiN_

On 2017. 1. 17. at 6:12 PM, _RaiN_ said:

@loniclol you can definitely audition when you're 18, nothing too old about that. 

_RaiN_

So we talked it out and they agreed to let me audition once I turn 16 [I'll be 16 in 2 years] but I would have to shoe how much I want it.

How do I show them I've been practicing for it?

Can you give me song recommendations I might be able to sing? Even 1 Korean song?

Thank you. ^_^

14 hours ago, loniclol said:

So we talked it out and they agreed to let me audition once I turn 16 [I'll be 16 in 2 years] but I would have to shoe how much I want it.

How do I show them I've been practicing for it?

Can you give me song recommendations I might be able to sing? Even 1 Korean song?

Thank you. ^_^

@loniclol, well it's just as I said before, you can't forcibly show them, maybe after you finish all your work from school, chores, etc. you just do it in your off time. Maybe dance in front of your mirror after you finish all your work, but don't force it upon your parents. You have to show them that this is what you've wanted to do and you'll still focus on it AFTER you finish all of your other work. It shows your maturity, and organisational skills, which is always very reassuring for parents, because they wont think that you're just one-track minded and will follow one path until death. So my opinion/suggestion still stands, you prioritise all of your other work first, however, you never forget your dream, and in your off time, after you finish all of your work, you'll practice what you love to do! 

Good luck!

_RaiN_

• 2 months later...

I have a question; does it matter if i'm not Asian? Tbh, not just sm entertainment, but does any company care about that? Also honestly id much rather be part of a mixed gender group ?!?!! But, many South Korean companies aren't interested in that, which is pretty sad (but i'll keep researching like before and i'll find the company i want etc). 

1 hour ago, kclouds said:

I have a question; does it matter if i'm not Asian? Tbh, not just sm entertainment, but does any company care about that? Also honestly id much rather be part of a mixed gender group ?!?!! But, many South Korean companies aren't interested in that, which is pretty sad (but i'll keep researching like before and i'll find the company i want etc). 

@kclouds

It's more of a 50/50 matter.

I mean you can audition as any race. That doesn't matter but being Asian or maybe "looking" Asian might help a bit more and that counts for all the Companies.

You can still get chosen though.

Like Rania. They have a black Kpop Idol in there so you might not know. Don't give up. 파이팅! 

Even if your not Asian you can always empress the judges by learning Korean or the basics of it.

Also if you need more help or anything we can always talk. I enjoy meeting others who want to audition as well so we can help each other out :D

Hello I have a few questions :D:wacko:

1. What exactly have to be in my email?

2. Can I send dancing video and audio of me singing in one email?

3. How can I know if I passed? I mean would they set up a meeting or....?

4.What is the procedure of rounds ? I mean what will happen if I pass the 1st round ? Which are the next rounds?

5.Because I live in central EUROPE they would invite me to do an audition in SEOUL right?

6. I heard that if u are not fluent in korean you better not use it, is that true? I am already learning korean one year so I can speak some basic 

7.Does really matter my native language if its not english or korean? I can understand english and speak it (Im not perfect in speaking) 

8.If I lived in SEOUL without family would they pay for my food?

9. If I become a trainee would I have to delete my social media immediately or only before debut?

Thank you for all answers and I apologise for my english 

So thanks and have a nice day :D

On 3/29/2017 at 1:25 AM, veronika321 said:

Hello I have a few questions :D:wacko:

1. What exactly have to be in my email?

2. Can I send dancing video and audio of me singing in one email?

3. How can I know if I passed? I mean would they set up a meeting or....?

4.What is the procedure of rounds ? I mean what will happen if I pass the 1st round ? Which are the next rounds?

5.Because I live in central EUROPE they would invite me to do an audition in SEOUL right?

6. I heard that if u are not fluent in korean you better not use it, is that true? I am already learning korean one year so I can speak some basic 

7.Does really matter my native language if its not english or korean? I can understand english and speak it (Im not perfect in speaking) 

8.If I lived in SEOUL without family would they pay for my food?

9. If I become a trainee would I have to delete my social media immediately or only before debut?

Thank you for all answers and I apologise for my english 

So thanks and have a nice day :D

@veronika321

1. I don't really remember but I'm sure if you go to the SM website it will have a list on what to put on your email 

2. It actually depends on what your auditioning for. If it's dancing send a short video clip of you dancing. If it's singing send a short video/audio of you singing.

3. If you pass the first round then they'll get back to you in a month or earlier if interested. If not. You didn't pass.

4. When you pass the First round then you go to the Second round where I believe you do the same thing. The Third round would be in Seoul where you preform in front of the CEO.

5. Yup. You'll have to pay your own money to get there (but that's what I've heard)

6. Yes. If you cannot pronounce the words don't use them at all it could be offensive to them.

7. No it doesn't. They'll teach you the languages you need to know.

8. Yes. They'll pay for everything.

9. I believe immediately.

Love how @loniclol has taken over this topic! 

Good luck to the rest of you who are planning to audition or have auditions coming up. Feel free to PM me or post here if you have any questions! If you still prefer answers from me or don't mind it from @loniclol, then feel free to comment :D

_RaiN_

• 3 weeks later...

hi, idk if ur still answering questions but here is mine:

i would like to ask, if lets say i am quite an established internet celebrity, i have over 100k followers on my social media account and i DO have fans already. will this increase my chance of getting in SM? should i just let my manager contact SM directly?

15 minutes ago, tatemcrae said:

hi, idk if ur still answering questions but here is mine:

i would like to ask, if lets say i am quite an established internet celebrity, i have over 100k followers on my social media account and i DO have fans already. will this increase my chance of getting in SM? should i just let my manager contact SM directly?

Hi! Um, yes I'm still answering ^_^

Being famous already does not improve or disprove your chances in getting into SM.

It all counts on talents. You have to be talented in order to get in.

About your manager speaking to the CEO.... Unless your manager can speak and understand Korean, it might be hard.

Though the CEO may know English.

Hope that answers your question ^_^

11 hours ago, diva02 said:

Does SM Entertainment or other companies count your korean age or birthday age for audition?

Yes.

Age isn't much of a big factor but they do like people who are younger. Right now they prefer people who where born in the 2000 now, but if your 18 you might have a slim chance at making it just because they think you are to old.

Archived